Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So, I'm independently writing a screenplay for a live-action adaption of Tsukihime..

So, I'm independently writing a screenplay for a live-action adaption of Tsukihime..

...And I need the help of you fellow Nasuverse fans. I want to start off by introducing myself. I'm new here, but not to the works of TYPE-MOON. I'm a huge fan of Fate/Stay Night and Tsukihime, and I've played through both visual-novels, as well as read/watched/played works based off of it. Secondly, I want to say that I am sticking to the source material VERY strictly. I'm not going to be adding in any new characters, and the most I'm westernizing is the dialogue. The reason I need help from you guys, is the simply the fact that I'm taking elements from the visual-novel, as well as the manga. (And before you ask about the anime, we all know there is NO such thing as a Tsukihime anime. It doesn't exist.) Because of me combining elements, I'm beginning to get fed up, deciding what should and shouldn't be in the screenplay. Obviously it wouldn't be logical to clusterfuck all of the routes together, so I'm sticking primarily to Arcueid's True route while peppering in development scenes for other characters here and there. I need you guys to help me decide what I should leave out, what I should keep, and what I should add in. Please. You guys would be my life-savers if you could lend me a hand, and give me some help with this. Any opinions at all are welcome, whether they be positive or negative. All I want is the honesty of you fellow fans.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Don't listen to anyone saying that this is a bad idea, the only way a live-action Tsuki can shine is as an indie film.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Since I see you're in the US, I have to ask if you're plan on changing the setting? I mean, normally you write a screen play so you can film it. Which in this case would mean anyone who wanted your script (assuming you weren't doing it yourself) would be not Japanese. I can see the part where you say you want to stick strictly to the source but I'm not sure how well a bunch of Western looking actors running around with Japanese names is going to work out.

Edit: how long is this hypothetical movie supposed to run? Is it going to be just one?
    Last edited by terraablaze; June 24th, 2012 at 03:41 PM.
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    Araya, where do you seek it?
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    Araya, what is your favorite color?
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    Blue. No, ora-- Auuuuuuuugh!
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

Blog Entries
    I saw someone on /a/ joking about a westernized Tsukihime with the names "Shawn" and "Sean" once. (Instead of Shiki and SHIKI)

Just throwing it out there.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Also, things lost in translation, assuming you are a reader of the translation and cannot fluently moonspeak.

^ Makes me think of the live-action Eva they were tossing around for a while. Asuka Langley = Kate Rose, or something.

One potential problem I can see is how talkie Tsukihime is, even during the fight scenes. Not sure how well Arc and Shiki's discussion of how Mystic Eyes of Death Perception is going to translate to the screen as is. Maybe rely more on visuals where Nasu could not?
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Also, things lost in translation, assuming you are a reader of the translation and cannot fluently moonspeak.

^ Makes me think of the live-action Eva they were tossing around for a while. Asuka Langley = Kate Rose, or something.
    Well, I think it's prety much the best way to solve the whole naming thing.

The problem remains with Oni, though that's never really that deeply looked into in the Arc route.
    As for things lost in translation, the only thing that comes to my mind is the whole "Dead Apostle" wordplay thing, rain your moonspeak knowledge on me to enlighten me on what else I am missing.

I wouldn't worry to much about keeping the Japanese puns. I can't think of too many casual movie goers being broken up about that. If they become hooked they can get stuck in Beast's Lair start investigating independently.

^
    oh god please don't have her refer to him as "big brother". That's seriously the most awkward thing ever. No one talks like that.
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Well, not puns. I was just kind of going off on what you were talking about with American and/or Western stuff versus Japanese. Names, addresses like nii-san and senpai, the school system, wordplay...all the way down to subtle stuff, like how Shiki's perception of death is very much in-line with notions of kami that are much easier for a Japanese to swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by terraablaze View Post
    Since I see you're in the US, I have to ask if you're plan on changing the setting? I mean, normally you write a screen play so you can film it. Which in this case would mean anyone who wanted your script (assuming you weren't doing it yourself) would be not Japanese. I can see the part where you say you want to stick strictly to the source but I'm not sure how well a bunch of Western looking actors running around with Japanese names is going to work out.

Edit: how long is this hypothetical movie supposed to run? Is it going to be just one?
    No, obviously not. I'm not going to pull the same shit Shyamalan pulled with The Last Airbender. I'll get actors/actresses of Asian decent to play Shiki, Arihiko, Aoko, etc. For characters like Arcueid, however, I'll probably end up using actors/actresses of American or European decent for characters like Arcueid, Roa, and Nero.

In terms of length, obviously this won't be able to be a 3-4 hour long epic. It'll cost too much money. The longest I was thinking was two hours, or maybe two and a half hours, if the budget permits.

Whew! About to slip down. VelspertheCat's Avatar
    "My beloved eldest sibling."
    Spoiler:
    Is it pimping myself out if it's hidden?
    Index of Stories, Conceptual Writing, and Scenes

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Nii-san.
    That's not really something that I count as "lost in translation", just like I don't count pronouns. It's not something that has meaning for the story. While it can help illustrating character relations, there are plenty of tools avaliable for that in English.

...inb4 localization debate.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    How to deal with "nii-san": have her call him Shiki most of the time, then "big brother" in deep remember-when-we-were-children-and-I-looooved-yoooou moments.

One potential problem I can see is how talkie Tsukihime is, even during the fight scenes. Not sure how well Arc and Shiki's discussion of how Mystic Eyes of Death Perception is going to translate to the screen as is. Maybe rely more on visuals where Nasu could not?
    Yeah, this was a problem I was thinking of as well, especially the conversation about how Mystic Eyes of Death Perception work. Certain things, such as that for instance, will have to be shortened. In the visual-novel that conversation goes on for far too long, which why I'm also using the manga as an inspiration, as it tends to change certain parts like that for the greater good.

Quote Originally Posted by PyrusofCinder View Post
    No, obviously not. I'm not going to pull the same shit Shyamalan pulled with The Last Airbender. I'll get actors/actresses of Asian decent to play Shiki, Arihiko, Aoko, etc. For characters like Arcueid, however, I'll probably end up using actors/actresses of American or European decent for characters like Arcueid, Roa, and Nero.

In terms of length, obviously this won't be able to be a 3-4 hour long epic. It'll cost too much money. The longest I was thinking was two hours, or maybe two and a half hours, if the budget permits.
    My brain trying to wrap around how you would handle Nrvnsqr.

You know, I'm not sure how super important him dying to the plot is either then having Shiki and Arc work together and demonstarte how hax Shiki's eyes are. It feels like for your own sake you should take this oppurtunity to replace him with someone else. The first thing that comes to mind is Satsuki, but of course I can already hear Dartz complaing that's not realistic that Arc would ever need help agaisnt her. And she is kind of a poor example of super immortality. It may just be the best you can do with an indie budget.
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    How to deal with "nii-san": have her call him Shiki most of the time, then "big brother" in deep remember-when-we-were-children-and-I-looooved-yoooou moments.
    I feel both oddly aroused and oddly disturbed at the exact same time.

...Which is just about right for Akiha, so carry on.

My brain trying to wrap around how you would handle Nrvnsqr.

You know, I'm not sure how super important him dying to the plot is either then having Shiki and Arc work together and demonstarte how hax Shiki's eyes are. It feels like for your own sake you should take this oppurtunity to replace him with someone else. The first thing that comes to mind is Satsuki, but of course I can already hear Dartz complaing that's not realistic that Arc would ever need help agaisnt her. And she is kind of a poor example of super immortality. It may just be the best you can do with an indie budget.
    Nrvnqsr is the real challenge. You're certainly right about that. I was considering at first to change him to a normal vampire, one along the same veins as Roa. Unfortunately, that would piss too many fans off, and it would seem like kind of a disgrace and injustice towards his character. I suppose I could maybe give Ciel or Roa a bigger part, but that would take some time to work out.

Blog Entries
    So, uh, how do you even plan to do Nrvnqsr?
    Do you have really, really, really, really, really fucking awesome 3DCG guys on board?

Whew! About to slip down. VelspertheCat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    So, uh, how do you even plan to do Nrvnqsr?
    Do you have really, really, really, really, really fucking awesome 3DCG guys on board?
    Godzilla suit actors are at the ready.
    Spoiler:
    Is it pimping myself out if it's hidden?
    Index of Stories, Conceptual Writing, and Scenes