Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fate/Reversal

Fate/Reversal

A little idea I got from reading a review. Enjoy.

----------------

Fire.

That’s the first thing I can remember.

Laying on a pile of wreckage, coughing on shoot, the glow of the flames.

The fire that killed my family, probably all my friends too. Even today, the smell of soot or anything burning brings that memory back.

But it’s not bad, because that’s also when I met him.

I remember… seeing his face looking down on me as he held me in his arms. He looked… so happy. So overjoyed to see me, to find someone else alive in all of that destruction. And I was happy too.

He later told me his name was Kiritsugu. That was also when he asked me if I wanted to come live with him. He told me that otherwise I’d probably have to go live at an orphanage, and that wasn’t very fun, he said he knew from experience.

I asked him, ‘Why me?’, and he told me about how he too had lost his family in the fire. He told me how he had also lost his parents when he was just a kid too, and knew what it was like to grow up on your own. He said that it wouldn’t just be him helping me, I would be helping him too.

For some reason, I liked that idea, and I liked him too. So I accepted his offer, and that was when he adopted me. I was 8 years old.

Looking back, it was amazing how easily we settled in together. Like everything just ‘clicked’. I guess it was because we were both alone, everything we knew had been taken away, and now we just had each other. Or something like that.

I’ll admit, Kiritsugu didn’t hold up the house all on his own. I certainly pulled my own share of the weight, but I never minded. He wasn’t exactly ‘Greatest Dad in the world’ material, but he was always there when it mattered.

I remember how he seemed to let me get away with anything, he certainly never gave me a bedtime, or the ‘don’t eat junkfood’ line, though I think that was because I preferred to make my own meals (and his).

And whenever I did do something wrong, he never seemed to get angry. Thinking back I can only remember a handful of times where he even raised his voice at me, let alone yell. Instead, he would just seem… disappointed, and sad. And somehow that always straightened me out.

He also traveled a lot, especially in the first two years. He’d always leave me with the neighbors. That’s how I met Taiga, or Taiga-nee as she always tells me to call her.

It was on my twelfth birthday that things started to change. That was when he came back from his latest trip, and last trip. He had looked so empty when he walked through the door. When he saw me, he seemed to just… break. He pulled me into a hug, saying ‘I’m sorry’ over and over. I can still remember the feeling of the tears he was crying. And I knew I wasn’t the one he was apologizing to.

The next day he told me that he was a magus, and the truth about the night we first met.

He told me how he used to be a Hit-man, an assassin. The ‘Magus Killer’ as he was infamously known. He told me how he had a wife, and a daughter, and how he was part of this contest between mages called the ‘Holy Grail War’. And he told me how it had all gone wrong, how his wife had been turned into the Grail itself, and how he had been forced to destroy it. And that he had been the cause for that fire. And he told how his daughter was still alive, but her family wouldn’t let him see her, because he had failed to bring them the Grail.

And he told me that he was dying. How the Grail had ‘cursed’ him when he had destroyed it. That was why he always seemed tired. His life was slowly fading. He told me he probably only had a few more years at most.

There were a lot of things going through my head at the moment, but hatred wasn’t one of them. I didn’t hate my Dad for causing that fire. I knew he had his reasons.

And for the next few years, he taught me how to take care of myself. He told me that since I had his last name, some magus’s might recognize it and come after me after he was gone. So he taught me things. He taught me how to fight, he showed me how to use magic. He finally let me see what was in the secret basement (Wow…), and he taught me how to survive.

And then there came that one night, when I was sixteen. It was his birthday. The small party had long ended, and we were sitting at the backdoor, looking up at the moon, just enjoying the view.

“When I was kid… I always wanted to be a Superhero.” He said to me.

“Why did you stop wanting?” I asked, though I had a feeling where this was going.

“Because I was naďve. The world isn’t a kind enough place for Superheroes. I tried my own way to save people but… Well you know how that turned out…”

“Well don’t worry about it.” I replied, “Because I’ll do it for you. I’ll find a way to help people. Count on it.” I probably made the biggest grin off my life.

And I remember how he looked then. He looked… relieved. Like for once, the weight on his shoulders lessened, if only a little.

“Thanks… I guess now I can rest easy.”

As I helped him into his bed, he told me that he loved me.

It would be the last time I would hear his voice.

Somehow, I knew. I knew it was coming that night. But Kiritsugu Emiya died with a smile on his face, so that made a little easier.

So I choose not to remember that moment of cold realization that hit me the next morning. I choose to remember all the other moments, the moments where he was the best Dad I could ask for. How he took me in, and gave me everything, when I had lost everything but my name.

Irisviel…

Irisviel Emiya.

I always liked how that sounded.

----------------
    Betcha’ didn’t see THAT coming, huh?

I give you: The Iri Route!

Edit: And yes, there is going to be Iri/Saber in this.
    Last edited by Anthurak; July 9th, 2012 at 05:17 PM.

Huh. That just happened...How did that just happen? How are things going to change with such a different protagonist? How is Ilya going to react to this?

Blog Entries
    what are you doing

it is awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    ...no clue how this is going to work out, but the idea, as far as I've seen, hasn't been done before and has a whole lot of potential.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    Are you going to continue this? Do you have an update schedule? Do you have other works?
    If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim,
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster;
    And treat those two impostors just the same,

-Ruyard Kipling, "If"

-)|(-

My works [Updated June 21st, 2013]

"From a dusky world with an ever-setting sun, a limitless rain of Ryougi Shiki streaked down from gargantuan gears set in the sky." Fate: Over 9000, my best Crack yet.

Dapper Deathwing YeOfLittleFaith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I... I have no idea how this happened, but seems like it could shape up to be quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
    Not my fault Shirou is an awesome bro to lesbians.

JP Friend Code
    PM Me
    Blog Entries
    This looks interesting. Will be looking forward to more.
    Proceed.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Well if Iri's taken Shirou's place, then logically Shirou took Iri's!

Quote Originally Posted by NewAgeOfPower View Post
    Are you going to continue this? Do you have an update schedule? Do you have other works?
    Yes, I do have plans for this. No I do not have an update schedule, though I have started on Chapter 1. And the only other work I have on this site is a side-story to DeviatesFish's 'Thu'um of A Distant Utopia' (which I am still working on as well)

Also, I've decided to have Assassin as the Kotomine errand-boy instead of Lancer (who will be sticking with Bazzat for much ass-kickery). If anyone could drop a suggestion for a new Assassin, that would be most appreciated. It's really the only thing holding me from writing the first chapter.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    Well if Iri's taken Shirou's place, then logically Shirou took Iri's!
    Figure I should nip this problem in the bud right now. Shirou died! End of story!
    Last edited by Anthurak; July 8th, 2012 at 10:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    Emiya Kiritsugu as Assassin.

Is this actually Irisviel? As in, a homunculi that sexed up Kiritsugu and made baby Ilya? Or is it a red-headed chick named after Iri?

-Ruyard Kipling, "If"

-)|(-

"From a dusky world with an ever-setting sun, a limitless rain of Ryougi Shiki streaked down from gargantuan gears set in the sky." Fate: Over 9000, my best Crack yet.

Is this actually Irisviel? As in, a homunculi that sexed up Kiritsugu and made baby Ilya? Or is it a red-headed chick named after Iri?
    Yes, this is Irisviel, though she isn't exactly a 'homunculi' anymore...

The grail made her human like Gilgamesh?

Blog Entries
    I know this is redundant and all...

Butt Fuck it.

WHATATWIST.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle HolySeraph's Avatar
    So Iri is older(16 vs 6) and Kiritsugu was more forthcoming in information. And appears Kiritsugu was in an orphanage in this fic(no Natalie?)

I look fwd to learning more about the premise though.

Quote Originally Posted by HolySeraph View Post
    So Iri is older(16 vs 6) and Kiritsugu was more forthcoming in information. And appears Kiritsugu was in an orphanage in this fic(no Natalie?)
    No, Kiritsugu's backstory is still the same, he just made the orphanage comment to give Iri more incentive to move in with him.

Blog Entries
    Did Kiritsugu realize it was HIS Iri?

I, uh, have a billion more questions, but my mind...

-Ruyard Kipling, "If"

-)|(-

Did Kiritsugu realize it was HIS Iri?

I, uh, have a billion more questions, but my mind...
    He found a girl at Ground Zero of the Grail explosion that looked like an 8-year old version of his wife, who couldn't remember anything about herself except her name, which was 'Irisviel'. So yeah, I'd say he was pretty sure.

Blog Entries
    ...then I'm entirely confused as to why he didn't tell her more. Except maybe because of Angra Mainyu...
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Probably wouldn't want to burden someone with all that stuff.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    Probably wouldn't want to burden someone with all that stuff.
    Seems reasonable. What eight year old child would take "your not really a person, but a more of a magically animated doll, that your 'grandfather' sent to japan to die in a death match battle royal. Oh and I was your husband, and we have a daughter who is now your age who is being groomed to do the exact same task in a few years." well.