Page 88 of 88 FirstFirst ... 387883868788
Results 1,741 to 1,744 of 1744

Thread: Kara no Kyoukai [Mirai Fukuin movie film]

不死 Undead
    Muahahahaha, *laughs evilly*, well I've only actually met one person irl from this forum :P and it wasn't Dullahan.

Conversation's deep
    When you talk to yourself
    There's no way to cheat
    Cos you know you can't be no one else...

死者 Corpse

the Garden of sinners: "Chapter 8 - Future Gospel" Staff Interview

the Garden of sinners Chapter 8 - Future Gospel Staff Interview

Ei Aoki: For the ending of "extra chorus," too, I thought I'd go for something with finality, but since I didn't exactly view it as the ending with the entire "the Garden of sinners" series, I just went with my interpretation of how Mr. Takeuchi's manga ended.

Tomonori Sudo: Neither the novels nor the manga really try for an epic ending, do they? "This is where 'the Garden of sinners' ends, but this world has been inherited by the next generation..." I don't know if that's really what Mr. Nasu intended, but it ends with the appearance of two new characters that just might fit the bill for a detective story that has nothing to do with magic or anything. Regarding Mana, though, Mr. Takeuchi and Mr. Nasu did explain to me what kid of character she was, but it's just not possible to show it all within the time constraints of a film. To begin with, the Mana portrayed in "recalled out summer: Prelude" is the Mana seen through Mitsuru's eyes and the Mana that the fortune-teller sees. It's not as if everything about her is revealed. And so for the film version, I intentionally made her mysterious. As for Mitsuru's 10-year blank period, I did get to hear from Mr. Nasu what went down, but that, too, never came up in the novel. So I just put out clues and there, dropped hints, but no more than that. I didn't go any further than what Mr. Nasu might write someday to reveal the truth.

THIS IS HOW THE NEXT CHARACTERS WERE CREATED

Ei Aoki: Regarding "extra chorus," neither Mr. Nasu nor Mr. Takeuchi gave me much direction in advance - like, "It's this kind of story, so I want it to be depicted like so." Hardly any. Although we did have a system in place where I'd consult them whenever I had a question during production, and they'd give me their answers.

Tomonori Sudo: For the task I was in charge of, character design, I'd send them my rough drafts of the character designs as I usually do, then they'd give me their instructions - "Please give the character this kind of expression, please don't let him/her make this kind of face." And I'd create the designs based on that. As for Mana, in some ways she's child-like, in other ways she's quite mature, and she's a well-bred young lady. My hope, as I was working on her, was that if I showed all those things in a natural way, it would pique the viewers' interest - they'd think, "I wonder what kind of story this girl is going to develop," and that would make me happy. But mysterious though she is, I still think Mana is a con artist. (Laughs) I wonder how this child can go so easily get people like the fortune-teller and Mitsuru, who've always lived on the edge, to open up to her. As for the designs for Shiki, ten years later, I based it on what I received from Mr. Takeuchi. I was told, "Don't change her too much, please make it seem as though the Shiki we're familiar with just grew up without changing."

Ei Aoki: Didn't we only get to see that Shiki's face in one shot?

Tomonori Sudo: Yes, just one shot. So we decided on the character designs while I discussed the screenplay with Mr. Nasu during a script meeting. And I think they all took shape pretty fast that time. But then during the recording sessions, Mr. Nasu would say, "This line right here has this kind of meaning," and I'd be like, "Oh, is that right?" I'd realize it after the fact. (Laughs) Still, Shiki, Kokutou, Touko, etc. from the start, so the only thing I told them was, "In this scene, this is what they mean and this is how they're feeling." Once they started talking, it was like, "It's Shiki!" "It's Kokutou!" Even the Shiki of ten years later... though she may have seemed to have mellowed just a bit, Shiki was still Shiki. It was like Shiki had shed that "come near me and I'll kill you" vibe that the old Shiki had.

Ei Aoki: Except for Miyazuki, a new character, I didn't have a word of explanation this time for the main ast members, and it seemed like we went right into the test. I never set foot inside the booth once. Even Mr. Iwanami, the sound director, said to me, "No need to greet anyone, right?" But after I got home, I did think that maybe as a courtesy, I should've said at least "I'm looking forward to working with you all!"

Tomonori Sudo: This was my first-ever recording session, but Mr. Nasu helped a lot directing. "This is how it should be done, right?" "Yes, sure." We consulted each other, like we always did.

AFTER 6 YEARS, IT'S BECOME A HAPPY TITLE

Tomonori Sudo: But doing all seven chapters, plus the Final Chapter, as well as "recalled out summer" ... a total of 9 films in 6 years means that we did more than one film a year, right?

Ei Aoki: But in the beginning, it was like, "We're releasing one a month, so we'll be done in seven months." That's what Mr. Kondo told me. (Laughs) Plus, the run times got longer and longer. Initially, they were all supposed to be no longer than one hour.

Tomonori Sudo: Well, we'll just have to write that off as, "You gotta be kidding!" Although having a different director each time helped keep us fresh. But when we started working on Chapter 1, I was still in my 20s. Boy, I've gotten old!

Ei Aoki: Chapter 1 was released in 2007, right? I think we started the actual work in 2006 or so? The first one we started production on was Chapter 2, right?

Tomonori Sudo: We started with Chapter 2, and then it was Chapter 1... They were released six years ago? Well, no wonder I've gotten old.

Ei Aoki: We never thought we'd still be doing "the Garden of sinners" six years later, did we? Back when we were doing Chapter 1, ufotable still wasn't even considered an up-and-comer. Although needless to say, TYPE-MOON was popular.

Tomonori Sudo: You're right. I guess it's pretty clear that people started seeing our company differently around the time "the Garden of sinners" came out. Until then, I don't think we had any real hits, at least not anything major. That said, it's not as if internally, ufotable is any different before and after "the Garden of sinners". I always think, "It's still the same old, same old". (Laughs) Mr. Kondo used to say, "I want this place to be like Jump," Well, I guess that shows that he was already thinking of the company's future back then. And the people who directed each chapter of "the Garden of sinners" are still directing today.

Ei Aoki: At first, there was no telling how far ufotable could go to bring a TYPE-MOON title to the screen. But now that six years have passed, people are saying, "I'm looking forward to 'recalled out summer'." "I've bought this many tickets!" I feel so grateful. In that sense, I really think it's become a happy title.

Tomonori Sudo: When I watch it myself, I can see how much the visuals have changed in six years. After lal, the changes in the visuals are what's obvious when you actually see them. And as for the staff, the people who'd just started doing animation back then are doing key visuals now, or they've become animation directors; you can get a sense of the changing of the guard, so to speak. So in that sense, it does seem to me that everything, the quality of the animation and so on, has changed. Also, when I watch something from back then, I remember how utterly frantic those days were.

Ei Aoki: Yes, it really was a frantic time.

Tomonori Sudo: I mean, we thought we wouldn't live up to the words, "film version". (Laughs) Like, "We've only done TV series!"

Ei Aoki: Right, right, right. (Laughs)

Tomonori Sudo: Back then, anime films were still something special, weren't they?

Ei Aoki: Yes, at the time. Nowadays, it's not unusual at all for a title to go from a TV broadcast to theatrical release, so it's not quite as special anymore.

Tomonori Sudo: And on top of that, we said we'd do seven films, so of course everyone was like, "Seriously?"

Ei Aoki: At first, it was more like an "anime film debate". Like, "What kind of anime can be considered worthy of a film?" (Laughs)

Tomonori Sudo: In the end, there was even talk about making it in Cinemascope! (Laughs) Well, but at the end of the day, everyone worked frantically to the best of their abilities.

Ei Aoki: There was a sense of, "We can only do what we're capable of doing."

Tomonori Sudo: When Chapter 1 was released, it was a single-theater screening, and it seemed like only the people who truly loved "the Garden of sinners" came, some even coming from afar.

Ei Aoki: They only screened it in the late show slow at first, remember?

Tomonori Sudo: That's right. Meanwhile, there may be people who started liking TYPE-MOON titles after "Fate/Zero". And so I'd like it if those people could also enjoy "recalled out summer". Well, it doesn't bother with explanations like, "This is the kind of person Shiki is," "This is the kind of person Kokutou is," So if possible, I'd like them to do their homework before they come to see it. (Laughs) But I'm sure that TYPE-MOON fans would come prepared.

Ei Aoki: They'd read the original novels, and they might even come after having watched the Standard Edition Blu-ray Box Set.

Tomonori Sudo: And it also aired on TV. It would make me really happy if there were people who were intruged after watching the broadcast, and were like, "Now a new film's coming out, so I'm going to go see it." But the people I want to see coming to the theaters the most are the ones who came to see Chapter 1 in the theater first, back in 2007. (Laughs)

Ei Aoki: The people who came to Theater Shinjuku.

Tomonori Sudo: Right. The ones who can say, "I went on the first day!" (Laughs) I'd be thrilled if those people are still fans of "the Garden of sinners," and come to the theater thinking, "Oh, they're releasing a ninth film? Then I've got to go!" Actually, if they didn't come I'd be mad! (Laughs)

ART SETTING

Touko Aozaki's office, "Garan-no-dou," which has appeared numerous times in the series, 12 years later, in 2010, it is neither Touko, nor Shiki and Mikiya who reside there, but the picture book author, Mitsuru Kamekura. "Garan-no-dou" has been transformed into a lush, clean space. Now with a new occupant, and a new look, let's break down "Garan-no-dou"'s transformation.

In order to design the all-new "Garan-no-dou," artistic renderings were created by hand based on the director, Sudo's images. Based on these, a 3-D model was created. The most prominent feature, the numerous plants, is all drawings of specific, real-life plants. Those were placed over the 3-D model and used as references for the artistic design process.

Nobutaka Ike (Art Director): With the change of tenants, from Touko to Mitsuru, it would obviously be decorated differently. But the biggest difference is Mana's presence. The various plants crowding the room and the pool of light we deliberately created around the main desk... we used these to create the sense of an open space. We also chose the brightest colours possible for the racks. Our view of this room is that it's owned by Mana and by the plants.

Tomonori Sudo (Director/Character Designer): The number of plants increased after Mana became a frequent visitor of "Garan-no-dou". Since Mitsuru is like dry sand, it was a dreary-looking place 2 years before Mana came here. Watering them has changed the room, as well as Mitsuru himself. I also removed all magic-related items and placed modern items in the room. The TVs and chair are relics left behind by Touko.

21 species of plants have been placed in the "Garan-no-dou" of 2010, based on the vision of plant-loving director, Sudo. The names of each of these plants are as follows. It might be fun for you to look for each plant's location.

<Names of 21 plants>
    Sansevieria / Selaginella apoda / Agave celsii / Eltham / Blue candle / Aloe variegata / Murraya koenigii / Chamaedorea tenera / Jungle drum / Kalanchoe / Euphorbia cotinifolia / Pandanus amaryllifolius / Breadfruit / Pothos / Western holly / Cinnamon / French rubber / Siamese spider plant / Dischidia / Dracaena fragrans / Saint-Simon

Spoiler:

Visual Chronicle Book (English)
    ****************************download/rl...ng+Booklet.zip
    Last edited by Sp3ctator; June 8th, 2016 at 01:32 AM.

When the clock strikes midnight... Means it's a new day Jeanne. Strange_One's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    485,902,641/Vincent
    Blog Entries
    Thank you stranger
    BEHOLD! THE SIG OF GOLDEN TRUTH! Pillaged from McJon, Tsukikan et al.

The plants thing is very interesting.

Thank you for the translation.