Page 325 of 486 FirstFirst ... 225275315320323324325326327330335375425 ... LastLast
Results 6,481 to 6,500 of 9720

Thread: Tsukihime Remake Thread - NOT THE SPOILER THREAD

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    Apropos Saya sales, I remember urobuchi saying meduka meguca caused a Saya boom making it sell almost the same as a brand new VN despite being almost 10 years old.

JP Friend Code
    FWIW Planetarian was so popular it got an anime adaptation 12 years after its initial release along with several ports. And it's a really short story about a junker and a malfunctioned android that you can read through in under 2 hours.

Best Key game imo. The other Key games are brought down by mediocre filler routes.

JP Friend Code
    It's one of my all time favorite VN tbh.

So what I'm getting of this is that gatcha games are killing the VN market? as if I didn't have enough reason to hate them.

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    BREAKING NEWS- MILLENNIALS ARE KILLING THE DIAMOND MARKET

The market and demand changing is what's killing VNs. Don't get cause and effect mixed up- people just aren't willing to sit at a desktop PC and click through a million lines of text any more.

The people that used to are moving on, and nobody's come in to replace them- FGO might be in a position to start that particular change rolling back to long form text, but I doubt it.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

I think the big issue with VNs as a whole is that a lot of them don't get giant money or marketing behind them the same way a lot of other media do. Most big-name VN producers are kind of just small names comparative to the big names in novels, films, etc. - most people these days get introduced to Fate through the animes or FGO. For something to revive the VN industry you'd just need a big name company to come out with a VN on the international stage with a huge chunk of marketing money behind it. You just don't get that with most VNs.

It's hardly like people don't like them; the success of DDLC for one shows that people can actually get behind VNs - although it is, tbf, a lot shorter than TM stuff. Hopefully Ciconia makes waves. (I doubt it, but hey a man can dream)

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    people just aren't willing to sit at a desktop PC and click through a million lines of text any more..
    gotta agree with zoomers, VNs on handheld the GOAT experience

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Here's a thought: people could just write novels. Or, if not, they could at least add some actual gameplay to VNs.

Blog Entries
    Has anyone here ever thought about making a VN?
    My servants and mages
    Sorry, my english sucks

Things

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Incidentally, my idea of encouraging someone is to kidnap them, starve them, and then spend hours a day slapping their bound and gagged body with my penis.

Greatest battle in history
    He-man x Shiki Satsujinki

I love the internet

OH GOD SO CUTE

US Friend Code
    Never seriously, just as passing "that may be fun" thoughts.

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    Then you think about the flowchart and realize it wouldn't be.
    burn your dread you coward

Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    Here's a thought: people could just write novels. Or, if not, they could at least add some actual gameplay to VNs.
    Those two things are not at all the same in how they're made, their content, and especially not who they cater to. What kind of awful riff is this?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Criarino View Post
    I did start up a project with a friend of mine not that long ago, which got pretty far, but was dropped when I had to work for a year, so I had basically no free time, and then when I did have time to do stuff I'd write regular novels instead. But everything pertaining to that VN obviously still exists in some backup drive somewhere, it'll probably just never see the light of day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Criarino View Post
    I'm not from "here", but I have been frequenting here for a week so maybe I already am.
    I have in production two VNs at the moment, although they will be amateurish, I intend to make them both in english and japanese. Will be directed at the doujin market though, as I am not a professional.

Quote Originally Posted by savepoints View Post
    Those two things are not at all the same in how they're made, their content, and especially not who they cater to. What kind of awful riff is this?

But there are VNs with gameplay elements, no? Like Kamidori and MGQ.
    Last edited by migliole; October 9th, 2019 at 06:09 PM. Reason: ESL issues

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    Never seriously, just as passing "that may be fun" thoughts.
    Same here. I'd rather focus on more standard literary genres.

Quote Originally Posted by savepoints View Post
    The "riff" is that since apparently VNs don't have a public anymore, those which focus on telling a story could work as traditional novels, while others could be slotted into other genres - CYOA, dating sim, whatever's appropriate.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    +1 to the Planetarian is great parade

Quote Originally Posted by ballinamon View Post
    So what I'm getting of this is that gatcha games are killing the VN market? as if I didn't have enough reason to hate them.
    No? gacha game are not what's killing the VN market, the VN market is dying (or shrinking) because of a number of factors both within it and outside of it that are leading to not being there enough interest and customers to support it.

If you remove the ability for gacha games to be around or from VN makers to move to it as an option, it would not make the industry better all of the sudden. It would just mean that there is one less path for them to take to attempt to save themselves from n industry that can no longer support them financially.

The thing is that for a lot of the time, the creation of a traditional VN in financial terms is hardly worth the effort when you look at how much it costs once you consider how much it takes in terms of time, capital and human resources. Its the same reason why AAA games in the west start adding micro-transactions and other gimmicks in games that cost upward of $60 to buy, because they understand that they need a constant stream of revenue to make up for the costs of R&D, advertisement and the development of those large, shiny games. When someone buys a single copy of God of War, that's only a single $60, compared to when someone pays over $100 buying cosmetics in Fortnite in a month.

Or in the context of this thread, a single purchase of a copy of Tsukihime Re:Make isn't going to make as much as the constant base of players that throw money into FGO on a monthly basis. And that is more so the case in the event that said copy is sold in the second hand market, at which point TM isn't seeing a single yen from any other purchase made in that event, and if someone were to pirate the game, etc.

It was mentioned that there are VNs with gameplay and that fundamentally, novels and VNs are different beasts with different approaches to how they are created and constructed, but as industry trends are showing in Japan, people are "just writing novels" now more than anything else.

The most popular anime franchises nowadays aren't just from titles that came from being published or created within large corporations, but ones that had their start as self publications or on Narou. You can make it big by writing more so than drawing manga or making a game, potentially.

Quote Originally Posted by migliole View Post
    I'm not from "here", but I have been frequenting here for a week so maybe I already am.
    I have in production two VNs at the moment, although they will be amateurish, I intend to make them both in english and japanese. Will be directed at the doujin market though, as I am not a professional.
    I feel that if you make two VNs, even if targeted at the doujin market, it already makes you in the same realm as a professional, just might not have the same tools as one to make it as good.

How far are you in making them? And how far are they in terms of completion?
    JP Support 7/11/2018 (non-event)

Blog Entries
    I’d rather a Nasu write a digital gamebook like the Sorcery! remakes than another VN tbh

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    A digital gamebook has a greater likelihood of happening than a new VN, so I'm into it.
    JP Support 7/11/2018 (non-event)

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You've hit the nail on the head there. Good gameplay and the rich character driven narratives of RPGs are pretty much what I think would save VNs.
    You just have to be more creative in the gameplay part. Look at Catherine, it's basically a VN, with a puzzle game skin. There are ways to bring the deep stories of VNs into different mediums, you just have to think about how to add gameplay into the mix.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One forumghost's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Altima of the Gates View Post
    You've hit the nail on the head there. Good gameplay and the rich character driven narratives of RPGs are pretty much what I think would save VNs.
    You just have to be more creative in the gameplay part. Look at Catherine, it's basically a VN, with a puzzle game skin. There are ways to bring the deep stories of VNs into different mediums, you just have to think about how to add gameplay into the mix.
    I mean you say that, but it seems to me that RPG's themselves aren't being saved by those, since they're struggling in the market to compete with Braindead Twitch Gameplay Shooters with MC's that have less personality then Light Novel protagonists.