Page 1 of 8 1236 ... LastLast

Thread: Kara no Kyoukai Novel - General Discussion

Kara no Kyoukai Novel - General Discussion

General discussion for the novel series Kara no Kyoukai. Spoilers abound.

Kara no Kyoukai (空の境界, Kara no Kyoukai?) is one of TYPE-MOON's earliest works authored by Nasu Kinoko and illustrated by Takeuchi Takashi. It is also known under the name Rakkyo (らっきょ, Rakkyo?), and its tagline the Garden of sinners.

More Info: Type-Moon Wiki

Translation Project: Baka-Tsuki
    In Progress: Melty Blood
    Complete: Garden of Sinners, Fate/stay night, Tsukihime, Tsukihime Plus+Disc, Kagetsu Tohya

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Araya Souren is the Boss.

Araya is so beast mode.

Hope Rides With His Godly Ronin/Cowboy Brother In Law

Banned
    Araya needs to spend more time outside.

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Albus needs to get a life.

"HURR CHICK TREATED ME LIKE CRAP IN SCHOOL SO IM GONNA RIP HER HEAD OFF AND USE IT AS A PUPPET"
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

When he was doing that wierd thing while he was walking with the head towards Mikiya, I actually thought he was going to skull fuck it. It...I'm ashamed to say I would have laughed.

Hope Rides With His Godly Ronin/Cowboy Brother In Law

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by TypeWannabe View Post
    When he was doing that wierd thing while he was walking with the head towards Mikiya, I actually thought he was going to skull fuck it. It...I'm ashamed to say I would have laughed.
    I thought he'd be doing exactly that when Araya handed it to him, and he got all gleeful. I didn't laugh, though, cos I thought Touko was dead.

And then she comes back with her rape face on her Cthulhu briefcase and eats his face, and I lol'd.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

I just read Beast Lair's translation of Gospel of the Future... and something doesn't quite add up.

Spoiler:
    The problem was that the creditors’ boss was the area representative… of a mostly violent criminal syndicate. As the mere mention of their surname had me shuddering and contemplating life on a fishing boat or oil rig, I was filled with a desire to leave this town, and fast. The girl materialized out of that dilemma.

The girl was my benefactor and the big boss’s only daughter.
    If that girl is Ryougi Mana, then the father would be Kokutou Mikiya... and he's a crime syndicate leader? What?

Pretty sure that the "big boss" is Shiki. Ryougi is a yakuza family after all.

Now I am imagining Big Boss with MEoDP.

Oh, right. Why didn't I make that connection...

Also, who is the person predicted to die in the final part of Mobius link?

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Spoiler:
    Ryougi SHIKI.

It ties back to Mana's conversation with the Mother of Mifune and how she corrected herself to "Father", instead of "Mother". ("Father" = Ryougi SHIKI, "Mother" = Ryougi Shiki, "Papa" = Mikiya)

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Again, I still have no idea how to take this news. Don't have time to read it write now but it is high up on my to do list. What actually bugs me is that it seems like a translation that reads very "naturally" in English. I sure hope this is just a first impression.
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    Araya, where do you seek it?
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    Araya, what is your favorite color?
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    Blue. No, ora-- Auuuuuuuugh!
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by terraablaze View Post
    Again, I still have no idea how to take this news. Don't have time to read it write now but it is high up on my to do list. What actually bugs me is that it seems like a translation that reads very "naturally" in English. I sure hope this is just a first impression.
    You want it to read unnaturally? o_O

Well, seems like good news anyway, I'll read it and judge for myself when I get the time.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, it flows really well. Which is strange, because nothing Nasu ever wrote flows.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    You want it to read unnaturally? o_O

Well, seems like good news anyway, I'll read it and judge for myself when I get the time.
    Would you like a Kafka translation to read like someone talking to you in a Texas drawl? (whether this comparison works or not depends on whether you like Kafka or not)

Or how about a Nietzsche translation that read like the new Bible translations for "modern people who don't have time for nonsense".

So yes, I want it to at least remind me that it is foreign even if I am incapable of reading it in its native tongue.
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    Araya, where do you seek it?
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    Araya, what is your favorite color?
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    Blue. No, ora-- Auuuuuuuugh!
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

Blog Entries
    Kafka flows pretty well in German. And I am sure that most things Nasu write do it too. But because ONE MUST STAY TRUE TO THE ORIGINAL AT ALL TIMES, it feels rather alien in english.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    TIME TO DERAIL YET ANOTHER THREAD INTO THE TOPIC OF TRANSLATION!

Quote Originally Posted by terraablaze View Post
    Would you like a Kafka translation to read like someone talking to you in a Texas drawl? (whether this comparison works or not depends on whether you like Kafka or not)

Or how about a Nietzsche translation that read like the new Bible translations for "modern people who don't have time for nonsense".

So yes, I want it to at least remind me that it is foreign even if I am incapable of reading it in its native tongue.
    That's not really the same thing.

Something I've noticed is that if you translate Japanese too literally in an attempt to be faithful to the original text, then the writing that flowed naturally in Japanese will sound unnatural in English. So in trying to keep it too similar to the original, you would actually be changing the feel of the text anyway, turning well-written Japanese into poorly-written English.

I can't say whether this guy's TL is good or not because I still haven't taken a look though (I don't have the original to compare it to anyway).

Blog Entries
    Someone on 4chan said its the real thing. Not a trustworthy source, but well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    TIME TO DERAIL YET ANOTHER THREAD INTO THE TOPIC OF TRANSLATION!

That's not really the same thing.

Something I've noticed is that if you translate Japanese too literally in an attempt to be faithful to the original text, then the writing that flowed naturally in Japanese will sound unnatural in English. So in trying to keep it too similar to the original, you would actually be changing the feel of the text anyway, turning well-written Japanese into poorly-written English.

I can't say whether this guy's TL is good or not because I still haven't taken a look though (I don't have the original to compare it to anyway).
    I'm not sure whether this was just a bad TL, but Fate/Zero had this problem right and left.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?