Page 1 of 38 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up

Setting up

Because we really should have a thread about all the little things that need to be tweaked. PM cap, white backgrounds, IMG tag on signatures, custom avatars, etc.

Also, ALTIMAAAAA.

Name:  altima.png
Views: 492
Size:  18.3 KB

(joking, joking)
    Last edited by Hyarion; March 14th, 2011 at 01:44 PM.

I know what you've been doing, nii-san. Dark Pulse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A lot of this stuff is known and being worked on, so just be patient for now. We're still setting up shop, more or less, so just bear with us while the kinks are all worked out. It's gonna be a few days before everything's 100%.
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."

Of Leaves and Lilac - Two weeks in the life of Tohno Akiha.
    Returning real soon-like!

Old Quote Crap!

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadBuster
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Quote Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

[14:06] [Cruor] petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing
    [14:08] [Kelnish] no
    [14:08] [Kelnish] it isn't
    [14:09] [Cruor] how can there be so many bugs
    [14:09] [Cruor] in one mod
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Because quality assurance doesn't exist anymore
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Unless it's Quality Ass, U Rance
    [14:10] [Daiki] ...
    [14:10] [I3uster] oh god dp was funny
    [14:10] [I3uster] apocalypse confirmed
    [14:10] [Wakame] the horror

I hear you, just being proactive here. I figure this is more for when most of the known stuff has been worked out, etc.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This is more of an extra, but is it possible to add a spoiler tag in vBulletin?

Blog Entries
    I'm quite sure there's a mod out there we could install that would do it. I'll look it up and see if I can get it installed.
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."

Old Quote Crap!

99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

[14:06] [Cruor] petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing

Blog Entries
    Is the board time listed somewhere? The time stamps aren't much use without a currant board time clock to use as a reference.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    This is more of an extra, but is it possible to add a spoiler tag in vBulletin?
    AnimeSuki has one, and I'm pretty sure they're using vBulletin, so it has to be possible somehow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Is the board time listed somewhere? The time stamps aren't much use without a currant board time clock to use as a reference.
    Time is synced per-user profile. In other words, all times will be local to the user, per whatever timezone they have set in their profile. The time is listed at the bottom of the page, but it's currently a bit hard to see due to the skin being a WIP.

For the record, the board defaults to GMT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    AnimeSuki has one, and I'm pretty sure they're using vBulletin, so it has to be possible somehow.
    It is, and I know how to add it. But as I don't have admin powers, I have to wait for one of them to get on so I can tell them what to do to add it.
    Last edited by Dark Pulse; March 14th, 2011 at 04:35 PM.

Old Quote Crap!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Pulse View Post
    Time is synced per-user profile. In other words, all times will be local to the user, per whatever timezone they have set in their profile. The time is listed at the bottom of the page, but it's currently a bit hard to see due to the skin being a WIP.
    Yeah, the clock is definitely a little fast.

Blog Entries
    So I noticed. I don't know if we can fix that, though; it may be synced to the server's clock, which means it has to be adjusted on the server, and that's something that's not affected by the board.

Old Quote Crap!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
    Well, I'm going to shock everyone by saying that I'm not particularly fond of this idea....

Don't like this one either. We're a small enough forum that, IMO, we can trust people to not double-post stupidly (except for very new users, and they can just be told not to), and there are situations where it's just necessary to do so, for whatever reason (either to bump the thread, or because the original post is too long). Technical restrictions like that just tend to piss off people who have a legitimate reason for doing it.

This one seems somewhat unnecessary to me, honestly. I don't think people should need a certain number of posts before they can do things, it tends to make the forum seem elitist, and to annoy newer members. Plus, it encourages post-spamming (which, with the Elder's around, is pretty likely anyway).
    Last edited by Mike1984; March 14th, 2011 at 04:59 PM.

I don't see a need for that double post prevention thing. It wasn't really an issue in the previous forum and it might get in the way in the fanfic threads when people want to post more than one chapter at once.

^ well, I basically agree with mike on those.

So, do we set up the "pancakes" filter again?
    Trapped within my fierce desire, resistance is futile. Screaming for your life, nowhere to hide,
    Tonight we cross the line, your innocence is mine!

Blog Entries
    Well, I'm going to shock everyone by saying that I'm not particularly fond of this idea....

This one seems somewhat unnecessary to me, honestly. I don't think people should need a certain number of posts before they can do things, it tends to make the forum seem elitist, and to annoy newer members. Plus, it encourages post-spamming (which, with the Elder's around, is pretty likely anyway).
    I agree. On both occasions.

Also, can the character limit be altered?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkMAN View Post
    I don't see a need for that double post prevention thing. It wasn't really an issue in the previous forum and it might get in the way in the fanfic threads when people want to post more than one chapter at once.
    Yeah, this. The only time I could see it as being useful is for a couple of users who can't understand the concept of "don't double-post unnecessarily", but it seems to me like it would be more work to exempt the majority of the forum from this mod than it would be to just tell those people not to double-post.

So, do we set up the "pancakes" filter again?
    Well, I'd prefer not, but I suspect I'll be out-voted on that one again. I'm not sure, though, if it's possible to implement it on here, and if so what the result of doing so would be (if, for example, it's not easily bypassable (e.g. with italics tags), I would have a serious objection to it, because it could get in the way of legitimate fanfics etc. which happen to want to use that word).

Quote Originally Posted by Erlkonig View Post
    Also, can the character limit be altered?
    Yeah, this. I got close to the old BL one a few times (hell, I hit it once...), so unless you want five posts in a row from me on some topics, it needs to be of a similar length (IIRC, BL was something like 50000 characters).

Well, I'd prefer not, but I suspect I'll be out-voted on that one again. I'm not sure, though, if it's possible to implement it on here, and if so what the result of doing so would be (if, for example, it's not easily bypassable (e.g. with italics tags), I would have a serious objection to it, because it could get in the way of legitimate fanfics etc. which happen to want to use that word).
    Relax I was only joking.
    (we should think of a new word to filter!) ;D

Yeah, this. I got close to the old BL one a few times (hell, I hit it once...), so unless you want five posts in a row from me on some topics, it needs to be of a similar length (IIRC, BL was something like 50000 characters).
    Also that min. 10 characters should be lowered.
    Trapped within my fierce desire, resistance is futile. Screaming for your life, nowhere to hide,
    Tonight we cross the line, your innocence is mine!

Blog Entries
    We'll be working on the character limits, sig image stuff, and so on. I'd be doing this now, but again, I don't have permissions for that sort of stuff.

I'll talk to Altima once he comes back on, or possibly EvoSpace if I catch him on.

Old Quote Crap!

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle ranmafan's Avatar
    Whoa, it's back, nice job.

Few problems that I see:

- Colour scheme: a lot of text is unreadable (mostly blue on black, but also some black-on-grey text boxes and white-on-gray text in places...). Example (mouse over "General discussion"):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss-colours.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	43
    As I'm writing this, I see the same problem with formatting help icons (transparent icons with black lines over black background).

- Default character encoding: it's set to iso8859-1 in the headers right now, which is bound to cause the same issues as the old forum (i.e. able to post non-ascii text with "inline" encoding, but breaking every now and then). That really ought to be switched to UTF-8 as early on as possible, especially if converting the database is involved.

- PMs from other members
    This is more of an IMHO, but I find it really irritating to find out that email notifications were disabled by default only after you get a whole pile of PMs. On some forums, it takes a while to notice the notification prompt even when you're online... Not too important, but could save a bit of frustration.

- Lastly, this little bit:
    .. you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, ...
    I mean, I'm not complaining, but given how this all started, do you really need that in there...

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Awesome solution to Pancakes filter: Waffles.

But yeah, I agree with Mike on what he dislikes. Though, the force to read thread thing can be okay but most people would ignore it. Double posting is necessary sometimes to update old information some people ignored due to other matters at the time (this happened a lot in the Animeandgame forum and I think it happened to the Mahoyo thread too).
    Last edited by Cruor; March 14th, 2011 at 05:19 PM.
    The Hall of Selected Cruor Praise
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Oh right.

GLORIOUS CRUOR SENPAI RECOMMENDED THIS TO ME HE IS THE BEST USER EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    1. Your favourite character and why.
    Curor, I mean the man likes DDD, he must have had a hard life, yet he's still trying so hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Cruor is so handsome and nice I want to brush his perfect hair and maybe caress his rosy cheeks. Now put me in your sig ya fuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    If only people praised me as much as they praise you, Cruor-sama!
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    Cruor is very nice

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle ranmafan's Avatar
    A few more examples where the colour scheme breaks:

Name:	ss-tbox.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	105

(That one also seems to have been scaled down without a warning. And yeah, it's picking up some really crappy font from somewhere... haven't looked into that yet)

Name:	attach-text.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	106

Name:	ss-attach.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	107

Also, I couldn't find a "custom avatar" option (i.e. where you can upload your own)...