Thread: Random Thoughts Thread

Blog Entries
    do you want me to make a mostly unqualified essay on the subject? because i fucking will
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncake View Post
    I get this vague feeling from your posts that you're looking down on people who don't share your view, which is what it is, but at least take a moment to snort some common sense between those hits of pretension.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun
    Telling us that you're rich is not going to make anyone stop laughing at you for believing in self-insert NTR.
    Quote Originally Posted by ResidentSeagull View Post
    You seriously underestimate the human potential for wanting to fuck stuff, my dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan
    Welcome to BL, new user. Don't forget to fate/stay mad

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Yes, we want.

Blog Entries
    Okay so this is a profoundly personal take by an overly arrogant 18 year old
    you asked for this

The problem with talking about 'shitty' art is that you're taking a very deep discussion with roots in aestheticism and the collective of the history of art, something that is elaborated from concept upon concept; you go in and skip like 3 layers of discussion without properly structuring everything that came before it and is necessary to talk about it, and you just turn out with something quite bland and aimless because you never knew what the fuck you were doing from the beginning.

Contemporary art is currently trying to figure out what the fuck to do after the post modern. Post modern came after the modern, defining itself as the antithesis to the modern, and its many ideological connotations - the post WWI german idealism, and general european idealism, as a means of escape from the cruel and harsh realities of the war and its lasting effects on the continent. It sought to evade itself from social, cultural, political, and fundamentally subjective divides by searching the common ground to all of us, the objective truth that lay underneath everything.

This of course, as we now know it, was wrong, because there is no way to attain an objective with a human point of view. Post modernism does this to the extreme, as its only goal is to not be the modern. So we get things such as "Art has no definition", which is more a statement against the necessity to define and confine things, people, and concepts, than it is to mistify and envague the artistic.

How this relates to quality, is very simple. At the root of this divide between the modern and the post modern is the relationship between objective and subjective, the idea of universalism, common grounds, points of reference, and consensus.

The concept of quality in a social sense is profoundly rooted in public consensus, and universalism as the logical conclusion to such a frame of thought.

Yet, art is indulgent. It focuses on the inside flowing outward. We value the artist and his experiences, in his attempts to synthesize personal and intimate experiences and ideals into a meaningful work. This many times can completely go against the grain, and go against the public consensus. Thus, in a very simple way because my brain is toast and I am having a very hard time parsing this together, we come to the subjective.

Thus, the standstill as it remains:

The post modern argues for the erradication of the universal, as this attempt at universalism is a profoundly arrogant subjectivism. In turn however, by this extreme valoration of the subjective, it inhibits any common ground, and forgets one of the principal cores of art: whilst indulgent, it is not individual.

However, to simply go back to the modern is, quite frankly, fucking stupid. That's what the post modern was there for (and largely failed at): fixing the wrongs with the zealous idealism of the modern.

Therefore, any art installation that is still stuck in a post modern paradigm (many of them) will completely avoid any notion of quality, as this necessitates public consensus of some kind, and the post modern can't have none of that unsubjective bullcrap.

This is not as good as I would like but I would not bother were I to wait any longer to write this, and my head is getting toasted trying to write this down.
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:
    I get this vague feeling from your posts that you're looking down on people who don't share your view, which is what it is, but at least take a moment to snort some common sense between those hits of pretension.
    Telling us that you're rich is not going to make anyone stop laughing at you for believing in self-insert NTR.
    You seriously underestimate the human potential for wanting to fuck stuff, my dude.

While I think the goal of postmodernism isn't really to eradicate the universal (rather, postmodernism in at least the parts of culture I'm informed on aims more to question existing paradigms and institutions and sometimes the outcome of that questioning can be retaining aspects rather than throwing the whole box out), I enjoyed reading your post and can't say my thoughts on the subject were nearly as elaborate at that age.

Talking about 'the definition and meaning of Art' is an inexhaustible topic and always fun to discuss with normal people but also something I've learned to fear in recent years with how many people act like Pollock came to their house and shot their mother to death personally.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Temflakes403 View Post
    Post modern came after the modern, defining itself as the antithesis to the modern, and its many ideological connotations - the post WWI german idealism, and general european idealism, as a means of escape from the cruel and harsh realities of the war and its lasting effects on the continent. It sought to evade itself from social, cultural, political, and fundamentally subjective divides by searching the common ground to all of us, the objective truth that lay underneath everything.

This of course, as we now know it, was wrong, because there is no way to attain an objective with a human point of view. Post modernism does this to the extreme, as its only goal is to not be the modern. So we get things such as "Art has no definition", which is more a statement against the necessity to define and confine things, people, and concepts, than it is to mistify and envague the artistic.
    No. Almost everything you attribute to the "postmodern" is in fact true of the "modern" in reaction to the bourgeois high culture of 19th century Europe as consolidated after the failed revolutions of 1848. Against the Victorians in a word. "Modern" art movements such as the Futurists, Surrealists, Cubists, etc. - as well as Joyce, Eliot, Pound, Proust, Kafka, Musil, the paradigmatically "modern" writers - were certainly not trying to "evade" "subjective divides" in pursuit of a "common ground" or "objective truth". They were reactions against what the pursuit of "objective truth" - as manifested in the modern natural sciences - had done to human beings and human society in general: among other things producing the industrialised killing-fields of World War I and, in peacetime, an increasingly "alienated", massified social formation. "Postmodern" really is advertiser's talk. There is no hard discontinuity between modern and "postmodern." There are only increasingly protracted and decadent forms of modernism.
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

Blog Entries
    Post modern is just part of the modern anyways, as it still seeks to define itself by being its antithesis. I wouldn't disagree with putting it all into the same group.

Also, there definitely was some evasion of the subjective in design centers, specifically Bauhaus. The Gropius Bunch sought many things, such as their new typography, in order to fulfill their universalist world view. Unfortunately, I don't know enough to base my argument any further.
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    While I think the goal of postmodernism isn't really to eradicate the universal (rather, postmodernism in at least the parts of culture I'm informed on aims more to question existing paradigms and institutions and sometimes the outcome of that questioning can be retaining aspects rather than throwing the whole box out), I enjoyed reading your post and can't say my thoughts on the subject were nearly as elaborate at that age.
    Eradicating the universal comes as a progression of questioning existing paradigms, as it questions existing paradigms in order to oppose the modern, and the modern paradigm as I know it is largelly universal. This seems to vary wildly among groups though, so it may be that the 20th century is a bit too diverse for such a wide ranging description.
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    No. Almost everything you attribute to the "postmodern" is in fact true of the "modern" in reaction to the bourgeois high culture of 19th century Europe as consolidated after the failed revolutions of 1848. Against the Victorians in a word. "Modern" art movements such as the Futurists, Surrealists, Cubists, etc. - as well as Joyce, Eliot, Pound, Proust, Kafka, Musil, the paradigmatically "modern" writers - were certainly not trying to "evade" "subjective divides" in pursuit of a "common ground" or "objective truth". They were reactions against what the pursuit of "objective truth" - as manifested in the modern natural sciences - had done to human beings and human society in general: among other things producing the industrialised killing-fields of World War I and, in peacetime, an increasingly "alienated", massified social formation. "Postmodern" really is advertiser's talk. There is no hard discontinuity between modern and "postmodern." There are only increasingly protracted and decadent forms of modernism.
    Art has always been about revolution
    /tips beret
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

No it's about getting laid just ask da Vinci Bernini and FLW

Blog Entries
    get your brush wet and your dick will follow
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Very literally in the case of Renoir.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

マリーの味方
    alcohol

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Browsing through a fanfic forum.
    See a Fate/Naruto crossover.
    First line of summary "Shiki Tohno wakes up in Konoha years after Arcueid's route as a child".
    WHAT PART OF THAT IS FATE?!
    aashsdvksjdn sadckjcjksckwlcsmd.

Also he's completely fine with the lines, sees them everywhere, no glasses, and isn't being slowly driven insane.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    browsing through a fanfic forum
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    Browsing through a fanfic forum.
    See a Fate/Naruto crossover.
    First line of summary "Shiki Tohno wakes up in Konoha years after Arcueid's route as a child".
    WHAT PART OF THAT IS FATE?!
    aashsdvksjdn sadckjcjksckwlcsmd.

Also he's completely fine with the lines, sees them everywhere, no glasses, and isn't being slowly driven insane.
    That only sounds like a 6 on the cringe scale. I think all the Fate/Harry Potter crossovers my buddy used to send me may have broken my scale entirely, though.
    shit BL says

It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    ladies, he's single

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    you're a magus killer now harry
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Emiya Hari

- - - Updated - - -

I bet I could find some of them if I dug up message logs old enough, but I don't think anyone else here needs their IQ rating dropped a couple points.
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I dunno, a good trash fire can be pretty mesmerizing some times. As long as it's grammatically fine, at least. Needing to spend time deciphering a sentence is a real buzzkill.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I didn't realize that people actually think "appeal to numbers" is a legitimate means to win an argument: https://darksouls.fandom.com/wiki/Gr...00000014826430 Refreshing. I haven't seen that level of idiocy since high school. Witches who burn down the stupid peasants' villages as retaliation for the attempted execution did nothing wrong.