Page 10085 of 10095 FirstFirst ... 908595859985100351007510080100831008410085100861008710090 ... LastLast
Results 201,681 to 201,700 of 201900

Thread: Random Thoughts Thread

The Plesioth Hip Check of life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    I was organising the material I had made before this quarantine, and I came across the "example characters" I asked my high school seniors to create - a super-hero and a supervillain. The supervillain, the Necromancer, was more than fine, though I did have to veto a student's suggestion to make him into a necrophiliac. The super-hero, though... The girls won the vote, so the super-hero was actually a super-heroine, so when it came time for the boys to pick her traits, they deliberately picked ones they felt were unappealing: short, fat, hairy, feminist (???), etc., etc.

Honestly, I'm not sure what to make of that. I was ready for them to try and make her a big-breasted sexpot, but instead they were so resentful at the idea of a female super-hero they tried to give her every negative thing they could think of? I don't know, it was weird. I like those kids, but it's disheartening how prejudiced they can be at times.
    Sounds like intraclass "politics". High school kids are, after all,still kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Shitty gacha games I have wasted hours of my life on

Currently playing:

-Fate/Grand Order
    -Granblue Fantasy
    -Girls Frontline
    -Azur Lane

Dropped/on hiatus (never ever):
    -Fire Emblem Heroes
    -Symphogear XDU
    -Langrisser
    -Kidou Sentai Iron Saga
    -PMMM: Magia Record
    -Dragalia Lost
    -Epic Seven
    -SinoAlice

PM for friend codes/fellow commiserating. Please no interventions, it's too late to save me.

Once and always and nevermore.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I can understand how disheartening it is to see this kind of attitude in your class Spoony. Also, I hope your school already found a good alternative to keep classes going in this crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Sounds like intraclass "politics". High school kids are, after all,still kids.
    They're still kids but they're old enough to learn what is wrong with this kind of attitude. It's boys being spiteful over girls making decisions or intruding in "boy's stuff".
    You have to work to try to get them away from this kind of sexist reaction that's so normal to them.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Indeed! I've been teaching most of this class since they were in middle school, and while they have matured some in that regard, several of them are still pretty much stuck in their personal bubble.
    Also, we have switched from just uploading video classes to uploading video classes AND online teaching. Yaaaaaay...
    My fanfics:
    The Gift (F/SN): The last duel between Cú Chulainn and Scáthach.
    Passion Acknowledged (F/SN): Shinji X Shirou lemon
    He Was a Good King (F/SN): Was Beowulf a good king?
    A Fairy Tale of Love and Death (F/SN): A meeting between Scáthach and King Hassan.
    Palingenetic Descension (Tsukihime): The origin of the Tohno family's hybrid nature.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Also, we have switched from just uploading video classes to uploading video classes AND online teaching. Yaaaaaay...
    Well shit, same thing here.
    At least it'll be just for a month (for now). My school is going to anticipate vacations to May.

Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    I can understand how disheartening it is to see this kind of attitude in your class Spoony. Also, I hope your school already found a good alternative to keep classes going in this crisis.

They're still kids but they're old enough to learn what is wrong with this kind of attitude. It's boys being spiteful over girls making decisions or intruding in "boy's stuff".
    You have to work to try to get them away from this kind of sexist reaction that's so normal to them.
    This is just a guess, of course, but the girls could have been just as guilty of spite by pooling the votes to force the boys to design something they didn't like. Superheroines are becoming more common in recent years, but they still aren't the first thing that comes to mind when you think of designing a new hero. *shrug*
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.

Currently playing:

-Fate/Grand Order
    -Granblue Fantasy
    -Girls Frontline
    -Azur Lane

-Fire Emblem Heroes
    -Symphogear XDU
    -Langrisser
    -Kidou Sentai Iron Saga
    -Dragalia Lost
    -Epic Seven
    -SinoAlice

PM for friend codes/fellow commiserating. Please no interventions, it's too late to save me.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    This is just a guess, of course, but the girls could have been just as guilty of spite by pooling the votes to force the boys to design something they didn't like.
    From what Spoony said the vote decided it was going to be a heroine, seems like that's all.

Superheroines are becoming more common in recent years, but they still aren't the first thing that comes to mind when you think of designing a new hero. *shrug*
    Sure, but is that a mindset that you'd want to preserve or incentivize? In my opinion, it's something that should be addressed. They shouldn't be immediately sore just because the hero is a woman when they have the chance to decide everything else about her character. I think it's naive to assume there's no sexist thinking involved in that reaction when this kind of stuff is so common, specially with teenage boys.

I'm not saying Spoony should turn his next class into a seminar on feminism. If I was the teacher I would address their poor reaction to group decisions directly, but the insight into what is (most likely) prejudices their harbor would be something for me to keep in mind during future classes so that I hopefully could work with them to deal with this bitterness they displayed.

Edit:
    Also, I'm not their teacher so I'm assuming a lot about the class when talking about this.
    I just think it's weird that two of the immediate responses to that situation were that it's clearly a parody and no politics in class.
    Last edited by pinetree; April 14th, 2020 at 12:19 PM.

This is just a guess, of course, [...]
    Then perhaps you should rely on the word of the person who was actually there? Just a thought.

- - - Updated - - -

From what Spoony said the vote decided it was going to be a heroine, seems like that's all.
    Honestly, I wasn't the least bit surprised with their choice - one of the girls is a special needs student, and she absolutely *loved* the Wonder Woman movie. I had filled their exam (which never came to pass because of the quarantine) with several super-hero references, and I made sure to include plenty of mentions to WW in the examples.

I just think it's weird that two of the immediate responses to that situation were that it's clearly a parody and no politics in class.
    I know, right?!
    My fanfics:
    A Fairy Tale of Love and Death (F/SN): A meeting between Scáthach and King Hassan.
    Palingenetic Descension (Tsukihime): The origin of the Tohno family's hybrid nature.

JP Friend Code
    This is just a guess, of course, but the girls could have been just as guilty of spite by pooling the votes to force the boys to design something they didn't like. Superheroines are becoming more common in recent years, but they still aren't the first thing that comes to mind when you think of designing a new hero. *shrug*
    If designing "a superheroine" is offensive enough to the boys that they feel the need to poison the well, then that's exactly prejudice.

I was organising the material I had made before this quarantine, and I came across the "example characters" I asked my high school seniors to create - a super-hero and a supervillain.
    The supervillain, the Necromancer, was more than fine, though I did have to veto a student's suggestion to make him into a necrophiliac.
    Yikes.

The super-hero, though... The girls won the vote, so the super-hero was actually a super-heroine
    Oh, that's cool-

so when it came time for the boys to pick her traits, they deliberately picked ones they felt were unappealing: short, fat, hairy, feminist (???), etc., etc.

Honestly, I'm not sure what to make of that. I was ready for them to try and make her a big-breasted sexpot, but instead they were so resentful at the idea of a female super-hero they tried to give her every negative thing they could think of? I don't know, it was weird. I like those kids, but it's disheartening how prejudiced they can be at times.
    That's so weird. You have a chance to make a superhero and you do that?
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Sure, but is that a mindset that you'd want to preserve or incentivize? In my opinion, it's something that should be addressed. They shouldn't be immediately sore just because the hero is a woman when they have the chance to decide everything else about her character. I think it's naive to assume there's no sexist thinking involved in that reaction when this kind of stuff is so common, specially with teenage boys.

I'm not saying Spoony should turn his next class into a seminar on feminism. If I was the teacher I would address their poor reaction to group decisions directly, but the insight into what is (most likely) prejudices their harbor would be something for me to keep in mind during future classes so that I hopefully could work with them to deal with this bitterness they displayed.

Edit:
    Also, I'm not their teacher so I'm assuming a lot about the class when talking about this.
    I'm not saying they aren't being prejudiced, I think that's manifestly obvious when they decided to make "feminist" a negative trait. I'm just suggesting the root cause of that might not be anything worse than knee-jerk reactions and teenage pique.

Currently playing:

-Fate/Grand Order
    -Granblue Fantasy
    -Girls Frontline
    -Azur Lane

-Fire Emblem Heroes
    -Symphogear XDU
    -Langrisser
    -Kidou Sentai Iron Saga
    -Dragalia Lost
    -Epic Seven
    -SinoAlice

But those feelings didn't spring out from thin air, they come from a mindset which states - in this specific case - "Ew, cooties on my toys!". Prejudice doesn't have to be cold and calculated for it to be prejudice.
    My fanfics:

love warrior <3 world-0 the god of world-0's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Okay, so I am officially out of meds and I probably won't be able to replenish them until this whole pandemic boils down.

here is a list of my servant sheets(new and improved format for my servant sheets)

Come explore the White Library, and reach the bottom of this Abyss
    Fate / White Memoria

DIĒS VENIET ITERVM Walnut Sparks's Avatar
    That's pretty scary.

How bad is it, if you don't mind me asking?
    Day will come again.

Blog Entries
    I got pretty good at keeping the bad thoughts way over the years, and my family and girlfriend are very supportive so everything is probably okay, I will just be less enthusiastic and more tired from now on. And the occasional night terrors, but they are pretty rare and I don't want to think about them now.

here is a list of my servant sheets(new and improved format for my servant sheets)

Fate / White Memoria

Quote Originally Posted by the god of world-0 View Post
    Okay, so I am officially out of meds and I probably won't be able to replenish them until this whole pandemic boils down.
    Aren't pharmacies considered essential where you live? Or are there other complications?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I see.

Currently playing:

-Fate/Grand Order
    -Granblue Fantasy
    -Girls Frontline
    -Azur Lane

-Fire Emblem Heroes
    -Symphogear XDU
    -Langrisser
    -Kidou Sentai Iron Saga
    -Dragalia Lost
    -Epic Seven
    -SinoAlice

Damn, I'm sorry about that, man!
    My fanfics:

月日は百代の過客にして、行かふ年も又旅 人也。 Benderesco's Avatar
    Isn't it possible to get more prescriptions via telemedicine? Given the situation, I've seen a few doctors doing things like that.

Blog Entries
    With how precarious Mental health support is here, I doubt it would work even if they try it. Don't get me wrong, my Psychiatrist is a really good Doctor, but that is entirely her own merit.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, I end up spending two full years as a shut-in before my mother manage to get medical help, and that was when no crisis was happening.

Fate / White Memoria

月日は百代の過客にして、行かふ年も又旅 人也。 Benderesco's Avatar
    With how precarious Mental health support is here, I doubt it would work even if they try it. Don't get me wrong, my Psychiatrist is a really good Doctor, but that is entirely her own merit.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, I end up spending two full years as a shut-in before my mother manage to get medical help, and that was when no crisis was happening.
    I might be misinterpreting your situation, but couldn't your doctor give you a prescription online, or even just send it to a pharmacy of your choice? I've certainly seen it work, and then you can just go to the nearest pharmacy and replenish your stock. My cousin - a doctor - did that for some of her patients.