Page 10263 of 10281 FirstFirst ... 926397631016310213102531025810261102621026310264102651026810273 ... LastLast
Results 205,241 to 205,260 of 205613

Thread: Random Thoughts Thread

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    Quote Originally Posted by tsugumi View Post
    Great, can't wait for the Main Event against Okada Kazuchika at Wrestle Kingdom 19.
    burn your dread you coward

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TomPen94 View Post
    Great, can't wait for the Main Event against Okada Kazuchika at Wrestle Kingdom 19.
    I can only guess at what this means, but I hope for it!

Somehow, despite the math being obvious, it only hit me today that to reach his 100th anniversary, something that Kumamoto mentioned this year is their long term goal for Kumamon, I will need to reach 117... and I come from long-lived people, but idk about that. Even reaching his 90th, 80th anniversaries might be too hard. How sad. There are far more unfair fates in this world, but still, it's frustrating to think of what I won't be around for, even though I love it.
    IYKYK

Blog Entries
    I just had to get up on a moving bus and the driver laughed at me
    Feels great
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncake View Post
    I get this vague feeling from your posts that you're looking down on people who don't share your view, which is what it is, but at least take a moment to snort some common sense between those hits of pretension.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun
    Telling us that you're rich is not going to make anyone stop laughing at you for believing in self-insert NTR.
    Quote Originally Posted by ResidentSeagull View Post
    You seriously underestimate the human potential for wanting to fuck stuff, my dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan
    Welcome to BL, new user. Don't forget to fate/stay mad

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Ideofago View Post
    Feels great
    This brings back memories of my bus driver in middle school screaming at us in German (we had no idea what he was saying). Sometimes he would just pull over, get up, come yell at us for a solid 30 seconds, then go back to driving. Good times

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ideofago View Post
    Feels great
    I'm sorry. That sounds unpleasant.
    IYKYK

US Friend Code

some limited edition matcha latte
    Last edited by TetsuoS2; December 6th, 2023 at 07:06 PM.
    何処に行くの

Blog Entries
    抹茶の抹の意味はなにですか?

Also, I can see the print quality on that photo, if that counts for anything.
    Last edited by Ideofago; December 6th, 2023 at 07:35 PM.
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:
    I get this vague feeling from your posts that you're looking down on people who don't share your view, which is what it is, but at least take a moment to snort some common sense between those hits of pretension.
    Telling us that you're rich is not going to make anyone stop laughing at you for believing in self-insert NTR.
    You seriously underestimate the human potential for wanting to fuck stuff, my dude.

US Friend Code
    rub or erase
    何処に行くの

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    美味しい

I did something uncharacteristic the other day, and simulstreamed with a friend the smaller of the two callout vids about that breadtuber who got caught plagiarizing everything. I haven't watched a video essay in years, but I got shown a clip of the beginning and ah. well. How could I resist sitting through one hour and forty two minutes of learning about a guy who spent his career telling bizarre lies like "Nazis invented fitness"? Sometimes, you just want to kick back and make fun of people with your friends.

It brought back a thought I had a while ago, though. You ever think about how most of these video essayists, prior to - let's say, 1900 - would have probably been middling scholars producing mid work about, idk, Aristotle? And now they spend their days making the worst essays you've ever seen in your life, about things like Sabrina The Teenage Witch?

"No, the difference is that this path is open to ANYONE, and you had to be from a rich family to do that kind of thing before!" except most of the people doing this still come from rich/upper middle class families, so that part hasn't changed.

Also

(see signature)
    Last edited by tsugumi; December 7th, 2023 at 06:30 AM.
    IYKYK

Blog Entries
    Cultural capital has changed dramatically over the last 30 years, as have aesthetics and media consumption. Your analogy is defensible, but a bit pointless, honestly.
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It brought back a thought I had a while ago, though. You ever think about how most of these video essayists, prior to - let's say, 1900 - would have probably been middling scholars producing mid work about, idk, Aristotle? And now they spend their days making the worst essays you've ever seen in your life, about things like Sabrina The Teenage Witch?
    I can assure you, people were writing essays about all sorts of things for a very long time. The printing press demands to be used.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Fucker of the Kirei Kirei_fucker69's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    No
    US Friend Code
    Phone broke, account lost
    Big day for the people for whom condolences tweets from various officials Prove for the umpteenth time that everyone deserves to be cleansed in a righteous fire
    Eh, condolences tweets mean nothing at end of the day. If Trump or Biden died the other would make a tweet of condolences. All it really shows is that the figure was important enough for people to feel like they should act sad. Same is true regardless of nation, no professional politician is going to go "Hell yeah, I'm glad that fucker's dead". Even when someone like Thatcher died Labour members, who I think it's no secret that they hated her and their main voter base is full of people who by all means should hate Thatcher, made statements of condolence, albiet mentioning they disagreed. It's rare to see a public figure actively celebrate another's death.

- - - Updated - - -

美味しい

I did something uncharacteristic the other day, and simulstreamed with a friend the smaller of the two callout vids about that breadtuber who got caught plagiarizing everything. I haven't watched a video essay in years, but I got shown a clip of the beginning and ah. well. How could I resist sitting through one hour and forty two minutes of learning about a guy who spent his career telling bizarre lies like "Nazis invented fitness"? Sometimes, you just want to kick back and make fun of people with your friends.

"No, the difference is that this path is open to ANYONE, and you had to be from a rich family to do that kind of thing before!" except most of the people doing this still come from rich/upper middle class families, so that part hasn't changed.

Also

(see signature)
    I doubt they'd be writing about Aristotle. If they largely focus on entertainment media like you say they'd probably be writing articles and essays on Shakespeare, Austin, Dante, etc. They'd just get less "high brow" in terms of what they were talking about. Although, it bears mentioning that a lot of the "old and stuffy" pieces of entertainment - especially so in the case of Shakespeare - were just the popular media of their day. In fact, Shakespeare was, for all his popularity with the public and the nobility, looked down on by at least some of his fellow playwrights, like Robert Greene for being an actor who thought he could write his own plays and not having the same prestigious university education as them.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirei_fucker69 View Post
    Eh, condolences tweets mean nothing at end of the day. If Trump or Biden died the other would make a tweet of condolences.
    Biden would. Trump would call Biden a loser, just like he did when McCain died.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Fucker of the Kirei Kirei_fucker69's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    No
    US Friend Code
    Phone broke, account lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    Biden would. Trump would call Biden a loser, just like he did when McCain died.
    Did he actually? I thought he called him one while campaigning, not when he had already corked it.
    Even if so, that's still the only example I'd know about. I really do wish that Christopher Eccelston had made a statement when the Queen died, his hatred for the royal was always, if nothing else, entertaining.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirei_fucker69 View Post
    Eh, condolences tweets mean nothing at end of the day.
    Yes. That's the joke. That there are excitable people out there for whom they mean far, far too much, in service of something stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    I can assure you, people were writing essays about all sorts of things for a very long time. The printing press demands to be used.
    Were they passionate eccentrics or regular nerdy failsons writing those, though? Need to know.

I feel like the journey from mid to “worst essay you've seen in your life” quality is being overlooked. The video essay that made me stop occasionally putting them on as background noise was so bad I still think about it once a month. The thesis was simple: I am making this video to show you why [bottom of the barrel Netflix dogshit] could have been the best show of all time, sad face. Cue an hour and twenty minutes of why [bottom of the barrel Netflix dogshit] was horrendous in every possible way. No insights on how it could have been good or suggestions for improvement, just why it was bad. The essay ended with “and that's why [bottom of the barrel Netflix dogshit] could have been the best show of all time, sad face.”

If you submitted something like that in the fifth grade, you would get a C.

Unless the point is that there have always been masses of particularly dimwitted yet well-received upper class individuals going it solo with the sort of scholarly skills you'd expect from an underachieving child. In which case, no notes.
    IYKYK

Blog Entries
    Dim-witted yet well-received upper class individuals circa 1900 would have had latin verb conjugations beaten into them before puberty, and attention spans in what is today the 99th percentile. Scions of a "literate culture" (McLuhan). The analogy to today's "video essayists" does not bear serious consideration
    めい
    そう
    じょう

Bright and clean, description of a study for calmly working.
    Place fitted to reading and writing.
    From the meaning, a bright window and a desk without dust.
    For「机」sometimes「几」is used.
    Source: 欧陽脩『試筆』— Song Dynasty

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    I feel like survival of the fittest has to be playing a part here. Those dim-witted individuals without the neccesary attention span to memorize latin verb conjugations (an education which might sound illustrious but realistically pales before modern day's 8 hours of schooling + another 4 in afterschool activites that every grade schooler goes through) simply didn't leave behind anything of note for posterity.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

US Friend Code
    there's more to life and knowledge than what nobles considered "useful information"
    何処に行くの

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Were they passionate eccentrics or regular nerdy failsons writing those, though?
    Does Australia have an equivalent of the Library of Congress? Some place where any book physically published gets an archived copy more or less for the sake of it. Here's a relevant, if not all too weird, one from my personal research: https://archive.org/details/spiritis...0humb/mode/2up

There were plenty of intellectual fads that rather ordinary people took part in and then abandoned as soon as they'd picked them up. You can also find very exact examples of people doing overwrought 'literary critique' in the book review sections of newspapers, and most recognisably in early science fiction magazines. Informal mass print culture of the pulp age was the first time in which the familiar hyperfixations of present-day media culture found a place to roost. It's more to do with the confluence of money, notoriety, and an undiscerning reading public than anything else, I think. Once you can acquire funds just by grabbing the most basic attention of an audience, the soil is primed for it.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Blog Entries
    There is a place Pulp Fiction gets its name from, you know.
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler: