Page 331 of 430 FirstFirst ... 231281321326329330331332333336341381 ... LastLast
Results 6,601 to 6,620 of 8594

Thread: RWBY

Quote Originally Posted by Hen_Ichi View Post
    What does this even meeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannn?
    The McClintock effect, a (disputed) theory that women who live together menstruate together. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menstrual_synchrony

Blog Entries
    Seems doujin circle rwby is not far off.

Blog Entries
    After watching volume 1 week to week, I held off on season 2 so I could marathon it all at once.

It's still firmly in mediocre territory in spite of some great things it has going for it. It's almost frustrating to see that there are some building blocks for it to become something better than it is now, but somewhere between the writing or the animation or whatever else, it slips up and falls short. It really is all style and no substance.

The fights are fun but very hit-or-miss in quality with the different choreographers. The characters manage to be quirky and fun but ultimately shallow and increasingly pointless in the face of the growing horde of faces that don't seem to matter all that much. Stuff like Zwei is cute and charming but really just grabbing for the awww factor just as Velvet coming back as this badass veteran is pure fanjob. Character beats like Oobleck asking the girls about their reasons to prompt some self-discovery was a nice idea the writers subsequently wasted by having them gush about their feelings a few minutes later.

But I'm not saying anything new, now am I?

I'll keep on keeping on, if only to see what Ren's investment in that village is, why Raven ran off and hasn't aged a day, what Roman's playing at, why Cinder wants to destabilize the world order, what Neo's deal is, Adam and Blake's reunion, and so on. Like others have said, the writers are awful about playing things out over the long term unless it's a deliberate hook to keep you invested for the next season.

And looking back at that, I'm not all that surprised to see most of my points of interest are the villains or wild cards. I don't dislike the RWBY girls, but they're suffering from the shounen series syndrome of being less interesting than their bloated supporting cast.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    the supporting cast automatically becomes more interesting because nobody feels the need to let them exposit about what they are thinking or how are they feeling at every single turn of events
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Blog Entries
    Why do people keep acting like Raven's unnaturally young when the art style makes no one other than Port look like they're pushing past late 20

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    the supporting cast automatically becomes more interesting because nobody feels the need to let them exposit about what they are thinking or how are they feeling at every single turn of events
    Episode 10 isn't every episode, Buster.

That has gotten me to think on my issues with volume 2

I disliked them not having contingency for monty showing penny off early with episode 3 which lead to a "I'm a robot" redundancy. (though I do like tat they didn't waste time with it)
    I disliked Cinder's overall ambiguity which contrasts poorly with Roman's flair
    I disliked them including Cinder with Emerald and Mercury in the infiltration. Being the group leader she should be rather stand off in such situation
    I disliked episode 10 and 12 both for not letting particular aspects simmer (the former with the girls motives, the latter with Raven)
    I disliked episode 9's battle choreography, and really all battle choreography that wasn't monty or shane (which tied into more disappointments for episode 12)
    I disliked them teasing with Raven's reveal at the end of episode 12 when we're introduced to her mystery in episode 11

I'm tired of Jaune's B plot and JNPR's all around "normal high school life" in contrast to RWBY's actual plot significance.
    I don't get what the fuck they're going for with the whole back and forth between Glynda and Ironwood

I'm really really tired of the major animation fuck ups (cinder roof run, torchwick's cane on throat, weiss skirt clipping)

Velvet's... everything feels tacked on. Which is something given how Neo actually feels like she's meant to be there despite also being a recent addition.
    Last edited by Zenieth; January 15th, 2015 at 03:44 PM.

Another Day At the Office Riven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    Hunh, that's actually how I feel. I was wondering how to better describe it. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zenieth View Post
    Episode 10 isn't every episode, Buster.
    Episode 10 was the most blatant example, but this is a problem in other parts of the series as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riven View Post
    Episode 10 was the most blatant example, but this is a problem in other parts of the series as well.
    Only real other time, at least in regards to the rwby girls I felt was Blake waxing angst, and it kinda fits blake to angst expressly.

Now jaune does it a lot, Jaundice was sooo bad because of it.

Oh and Ozpin and Ironwood have a habit of it.
    Last edited by Zenieth; January 15th, 2015 at 03:48 PM.

I really think the only times they've done the emotion exposition well are when Yang talks down Blake and when Ironwood talks with Glynda on the roof. Those are really the only instances of this kind of thing that felt at all natural in this series.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riven View Post
    I really think the only times they've done the emotion exposition well are when Yang talks down Blake and when Ironwood talks with Glynda on the roof. Those are really the only instances of this kind of thing that felt at all natural in this series.
    Were there any other really notable times?

I'm only drawing on Penny reveal and Weiss and Blake's terrorism vs. racism argument.

The former I can cosign on, again just happy that came and went as quickly as possible, The latter I actually liked Weiss' expression in that confrontation and I sorta just blend all of blake's grumpy cat moments together.
    Last edited by Zenieth; January 15th, 2015 at 03:57 PM.

The Penny reveal I don't really count as emotional exposition because the situation kind of needed a response due to outside factors. Penny was revealed as a robot due to an accident and Ruby had to say something. That something ended up being entirely within her character that we had seen up until that point. It wasn't bad, it just didn't feel like exposition.

The second one I felt got a little too forced towards the end, especially when Weiss starts listing off her grievances against the White Fang ("an entire train of dust, stolen," Really Weiss? That somehow merits mentioning alongside dead board members and disappeared family friends?) and then Blake's response of "Well, maybe we were just tired of being pushed around!" felt a little too tame in both wording (not asking for swearing mind you) and intonation for someone with her history. Botched in delivery you might say.

Blog Entries
    Juane's B plot was fine until it became a cancerous mass devouring what precious little running time the series has. Doubly damning because he had already started coming into his own as a leader and a fighter when he started calling the shots in episode 8 and triply damning with the hesitance during the invasion just so he could have that "hardcore" berserker moment. We get it. He's a goofball with self-esteem issues who is learning to rise to the occasion. Move along.

And I say this even as someone who generally likes Juane. He's better off as a comic relief and general foil type of character than someone to carry so much of the show. I probably like Sun and Neptune as much as I do because they strike that balance between exposure and brevity. They don't wear out the welcome.

I'll agree that Penny's robot angst seemed rather silly when Ruby had already been around to see her launching swords from her torso. It didn't go much of anywhere and Ruby hasn't had any long-lasted character development or repercussions from it. She reacted exactly as predicted.

Raven's face should have been held off until season 3. If they absolutely had to shoehorn her into the final episode, she would have been better served as a background cameo watching Yang from afar. (The big fight scene didn't need anyone else in it, so I wouldn't put her there.) By the same token, she could have used a lot more foreshadowing. As it it, she's being crammed into the narrative inelegantly. Yang telling her story was fine, but we could have used some more hints that Yang is being followed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenieth View Post
    Velvet's... everything feels tacked on. Which is something given how Neo actually feels like she's meant to be there despite also being a recent addition.
    The Velvet stuff is internally inconsistent as all get out, but given she's basically an after-the-fact contest character, it's not super surprising. i try not to think about the fact that making her an experienced later-year with her own team means that she was A. being bullied by underclassmen and b. had an apparently loyal team who did absolutely nothing to defend her.

Not to mention her big moment ended up being 'look how awesome and OP these other new guys are.' Not that purse girl wasn't completely awesome, but the whole segment was complete fluff, and failed to deliver entirely on Velvet's side. The power levels of that team just makes Season 1 Velvet hilarious in retrospect though.

As for the Penny thing... Eh. i don't consider that a redundancy just because of her prior showing-off because they didn't actually explain she was a robot, then, even if it was unsubtle and obvious. Ruby had no idea how she was doing that stuff and Penny's design left open the "possibility" it was a backpack weapon. There was no real doubt, given the Pinocchio parallels, but it wasn't redundant because it wasn't confirmed. it just wasn't subtle.

Which is Monty in a nutshell, really, but i love his choreography and character designs enough that i am forgiving of an awful lot.

Signature by fumato

Blog Entries
    Those two scenes really could be pegged entirely on Monty.

CFY were planned characters and Penny's scene was specifically added by Monty after the fact.

There are definite writer failings, but those are expounded by monty and shane freely adding junk whenever.

RWBY suffers a fuck lot from lack of internal consistency and funding
    Last edited by Zenieth; January 15th, 2015 at 07:42 PM.

Blog Entries

http://imgur.com/a/kJi07

shamelessly posting because Askzy Art
    Last edited by Zenieth; January 28th, 2015 at 10:48 AM.

Blog Entries
    Monty Oum's hospitalized in critical condition.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    heard something like 100k$ already got gathered in case of fat medical fees

http://www.gofundme.com/MontyandSheena

It's at $120,605 of $50,000 as we speak.

Hide your waifu, This is worm country. Hopeluvjoy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Kind of makes me wonder what happened. He seems pretty young for a heart attack or the likes.

Blog Entries
    Dude's a workaholic. He puts in enough hours to be three separate Japanese Salarymen.

Heard somewhere that some medication he was taking caused a bad reaction. I just hope he pulls through.

Spoiler: