Page 320 of 430 FirstFirst ... 220270310315318319320321322325330370420 ... LastLast
Results 6,381 to 6,400 of 8594

Thread: RWBY

I have to agree with the above takes on E12:

Spoiler:
    The total lack of a sense of danger or urgency in the fight undermines the point of everything going on with it plot-wise. Early on, when Yang got smashed into the sewers, I thought they were really nailing it...but no, that was about the last thing any of the Grimm did on offense. And without the sense of fear presented by the Grimm, the rescue by the Atlesian army feels less like "Yay! We're saved!" and more like "Obligatory plot point checked off!" I have no idea why anyone would think the army was needed or necessary, when a bunch of student huntsmen and huntresses were cleaning up. Zwei even soloed one Grimm.

Jaune's fight, for example, why not actually show something of it? Like, that he can now get his shield up in time to defend while attacking, showcasing his improvement over V1.

I was ultimately reminded of the finale of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's, where the last battle was just a showcase moment for everybody's attacks while Nana Mizuki rocked out. Similarly here with Team CFVY, which was actually done pretty well--they came in late enough that they could curbstomp the Grimm without screwing the negative.

I was struck by Ren--Jaune's comment indicated that going to that village was somehow important to him. Which means that it's the first time a non-Jaune Team JNPR member was acknowledged as having a personal interese, goal, life, etc.

The girls talking at the end together seemed so ridiculously forced as to be annoying. The scene with Cinder, Emerald, Merc, and Adam at least felt "real," like it was actually reacting to events. I'm not bothered by Cinder's ambiguity here; I'm pretty solidly convinced that there is a plan and it's not going to be absurdly complex, so I'm not too bugged by me not knowing how it all fits together now.

That said, there was also a lot to like about the episode: the abovesaid Ren, the reveal of Raven's name and that she almost certainly is Yang's mother, CFVY, the revelation that Glynda's fixing the tables in Episode 1 was actually foreshadowing for her fixing the tunnel seal here, Roman's general sassiness. But ultimately, V2 ended on more of a whimper than a bang, leaving me frustrated by what could have been rather than awed by what was. Worse yet, the biggest failure was in an area which is generally one of RWBY's strengths. There is a problem when the E1 food fight is orders of magnitude more epic and dramatic than the season finale battle.

Ultimately, while I thing V2 did a lot of good work in fixing the flaws of V1, it also highlighted new flaws of its own which become more significant as RWBY has to now stand on its own as a show, not buoyed by the hype. There's huge amounts to enjoy; I am in love with the characters and their world and want to see and learn more of them, but the writers seem to still be hampered by the lack of time (trying to do too much in too little time available) and are leaving too much unsaid or in the wrong ways.
    Quotes & Stuff...No, no stuff, just quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Oh, man, you ruined it, I was typing up a big thing about how "three reams" equals 3000 sheets of paper, and that it connects back to the ancient Japanese legend about how folding a thousand paper cranes will grant you a single wish. It was going to be wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    Not really, more like he knows that realistically he can't save everyone but he's going to strive to do so no matter what regardless, because Fuck The Ideal Police.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's not procrastination, it's pressure-assisted output management.
    I'm a neckbeard, son. If I ever multiply it'd be through cell division.

Another Day At the Office Riven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenieth View Post
    yeah... the pacing's just all over the place.

- - - Updated - - -

Spoiler:
    I just hope that ending wasn't setting Yang up to be reborn into THE EDGE
    Spoiler:
    Well, that's almost certainly supposed to be her mother. I mean her name is listed as Raven Branwen in the credits, the same name that monty teased on TvTropes months back.

Main problem is that it doesn't LOOK like it should be her mother because it's literally just a reskinned version of her. One they forgot to age a couple decades.

Blog Entries
    Spoiler:
    I wasn't questioning that being an alternate yang. It was more a hope that yang's mom doesn't try to set her on a path of darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenieth View Post
    Spoiler:
    I wasn't questioning that being an alternate yang. It was more a hope that yang's mom doesn't try to set her on a path of darkness.
    I would be calling all the bullshit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
    Spoiler:
    Ultimately, while I thing V2 did a lot of good work in fixing the flaws of V1, it also highlighted new flaws of its own which become more significant as RWBY has to now stand on its own as a show, not buoyed by the hype. There's huge amounts to enjoy; I am in love with the characters and their world and want to see and learn more of them, but the writers seem to still be hampered by the lack of time (trying to do too much in too little time available) and are leaving too much unsaid or in the wrong ways.
    Actually, I think the problem is that they're SAYING too much. Everything has to be conveyed in hamfisted dialogue, even if the same thing was already mostly implicitly conveyed through other means earlier. Nevermind that this is wasting the audience's time. It's also showing that they don't think the audience can get these points on their own, which is honestly kind of patronizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Riven View Post

Actually, I think the problem is that they're SAYING too much. Everything has to be conveyed in hamfisted dialogue, even if the same thing was already mostly implicitly conveyed through other means earlier. Nevermind that this is wasting the audience's time. It's also showing that they don't think the audience can get these points on their own, which is honestly kind of patronizing.
    That would be the "in the wrong ways" part I was mentioning. The flip side is that some things go entirely ignored. Like how Neo KO'ed Yang without Yang ever using her Semblance. Or how many times Monty & Co. have to explain something on Twitter or the like later on by Word of God. And back to your point, the entire "World of Remnant" inserts basically exist because they haven't been able to insert that information in believable ways into the series (like how Pyrrha explains the Grimm to Jaune in Vol. 1, and lots of people didn't believe it, basically because they couldn't believe that an in-character scene could be a "spoken right by the author" lecture delivering absolute lectures).
    Quotes & Stuff...No, no stuff, just quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Oh, man, you ruined it, I was typing up a big thing about how "three reams" equals 3000 sheets of paper, and that it connects back to the ancient Japanese legend about how folding a thousand paper cranes will grant you a single wish. It was going to be wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    Not really, more like he knows that realistically he can't save everyone but he's going to strive to do so no matter what regardless, because Fuck The Ideal Police.
    It's not procrastination, it's pressure-assisted output management.
    I'm a neckbeard, son. If I ever multiply it'd be through cell division.

I dig Coco

totally knew she'd have a minigun too
    Code:
    [07:55:59] <Spinach> Take off your clothes Kirby
    [07:56:07] <Kirby> I'm in class

[20:37:34] <Lian|phone> there is a such thing as lingerie for guys?
    [20:37:54] <Kyokushi> yea
    [20:37:57] <Kyokushi> they're called jockstraps
    [20:38:02] <Lian|phone> :o
    [20:38:07] * Lian|phone googles
    [20:38:10] <Kyokushi> NO
    [20:38:11] <Kyokushi> DON'T
    [20:40:07] <Lian|phone> okay
    [20:40:16] <Lian|phone> I don't think I should have googled that

[12:59:30]  <Spinach> call me onii-chan, bitch
    [13:00:12]  <kroyo> imma fuck ur shit up onii-fam

Dapper Deathwing YeOfLittleFaith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, that was plainly put, disappointing. Also a mess.

Everyone else has already elaborated on the reasons why, so no point in me repeating them. The greatest offender to me was just the complete lack of tension. I feel like the episode should have been at least twice its length to manage to use the atmosphere that was building up to it, but if was just going to be more minutes of the same awkward pacing, I'm not sure even that would have helped.
    Last edited by YeOfLittleFaith; October 30th, 2014 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
    Not my fault Shirou is an awesome bro to lesbians.

This livestream needs to stop hugboxing.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That carlos the jackal hoe beat up a giant monster with a suitcase so no complaints.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Blog Entries
    It was a purse.

Blog Entries
    Oh hey, it's almost like CFVY is a proper Demon Hunter team. Something's lacking, but otherwise purse girl fought just like Dante with Pandora would have...

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Rowanism's Avatar
    Just glad that Roman didn't die or some plot-related disappearance, I want more Roman.

And I am sexually confused over Yang's mom which is basically Yang.

Oh the fanart. Ohhh.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    I feel that Miles and Kerry would benefit from theater writing classes. It would teach them

A) Natural-sounding dialogue
    B) Dialogue that allows the actors some room to explore (or in the case of someone like Pyrrha, to not sound like a robot)
    C) Thematic pacing through act structures
    D) How to write some things for immediate resolution and other things for a buildup over time resolution rather than all one or the other
    E) What deus ex machina is

Code:
    [07:55:59] <Spinach> Take off your clothes Kirby
    [07:56:07] <Kirby> I'm in class

[20:37:34] <Lian|phone> there is a such thing as lingerie for guys?
    [20:37:54] <Kyokushi> yea
    [20:37:57] <Kyokushi> they're called jockstraps
    [20:38:02] <Lian|phone> :o
    [20:38:07] * Lian|phone googles
    [20:38:10] <Kyokushi> NO
    [20:38:11] <Kyokushi> DON'T
    [20:40:07] <Lian|phone> okay
    [20:40:16] <Lian|phone> I don't think I should have googled that

[12:59:30]  <Spinach> call me onii-chan, bitch
    [13:00:12]  <kroyo> imma fuck ur shit up onii-fam

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Meh's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Well that ep was boring. Only decent part was Coco.

And Adam's back. Well just gonna wait for Matt's moon jokes.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by My Little Username Can't Be This Long View Post
    That's great.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Realtalk tho the action scenes fell flat this time except for the punching purse (happy now) part. Hell there even was what basically amounts to a still with speedlines. You are working with 3D models there's no excuse for shit like that.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Coco was literally the only good part of the episode.

Blog Entries
    Calling it here that Chaos Cyber Katana Blade isn't yang or her mom, it's future Ruby. The writing in this is so bad that this is a legitimate possibility.

Also worst action scenes in the entire show jesus

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Also worst action scenes in the entire show jesus
    Nah, cut screen massacre was still worse.

maybe thats just the insert song tho