Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seven Moons (Tsukihime / Sailor Moon)

First Priest of the Urobutcher Golden Lark's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code

Seven Moons (Tsukihime / Sailor Moon)

Here, have a thing. This space reserved for indexing, future edits, etc.

Seven Moons

Prologue

Sunlight poured over the Juuban district of Toyko, bathing everything and everyone in it in brightness and warmth. Tohno Shiki was strolling through one of the local parks, taking in the sights and familiarizing himself with the area. He was in his normal street clothes, hands in pockets, eyes wide open and scanning the terrain around him. The best part about 'daytime patrol' was that no one would think twice about him exploring public areas. No one even remotely suspected he was casing potential battlefields and killzones. Parks were great at night: decent cover available, very little chance of innocent bystanders, and many escape routes.

It was these and similar thoughts that sputtered to a halt as he felt an impact on the side of his head, followed by a soft clatter.

He turned, and surveyed his situation. Apparently what seemed to be a group of young students receiving mixed martial weapons training were all looking at him apprehensively. None more so than the two boys nearest him, one holding out a padded training sword pointed at his partner, and said partner holding on to naught but thin air, glancing between Shiki's eyes and feet. He didn't have to look down to know that he had been bonked by a weapon knocked free of its wielder's hands.

Great, he thought, Mystic Eyes of Death Perception, Pure Eyes, years of internal subconscious conditioning, and surviving more Dead Apostle antics than 99.999% of humans alive today . . . and I have nothing on some kids screwing around. No killing intent, no lethal (or even harmful) force involved; he didn't notice and got clocked. He was, to put it mildly, annoyed.

Not at the children, just himself and his obliviousness. That said, he wasn't above some childish antics himself . . .

He reached down and scooped up the training blade. Not a proper shinai, more like a toy than anything. Foam, rubber, and tape created a rather comical-looking device. However, its weight and balance seemed up to snuff-

"Um, Nii-san, can I have it back?" the weaponless kid asked.

Shiki blinked, and regarded the kids, and then the 'class' again. They all had similarly built weapons. No one was wearing any sort of armor or protection. The age spread seemed to go from elementary through high school. For that matter, they weren't even wearing uniforms or gi. This wasn't a group practicing kendo.

"Ah, Nii-san?"

Shiki looked down at kid again. The kid blinked. Shiki smiled. "No."

"Ah, thank- eh?" The kid reached out to grab the sword and then caught himself after realizing what had been said.

Shiki stepped back and readied the blade as his smirk widened. "If you want it, you will have to defeat me first."

I'm used to a tiny, pinpoint accurate blade, going for razor-thin targets at point-blank range. A sword is huge, comparatively unwieldy, and totally throws off everything about my fighting style. I don't intend on letting a single one of these kids touch me. This should be fun.

The weaponless child blinked, stepped back, exchanged a glance with his sparring partner, and shrugged. Then they both jumped at him, the sword going for his body, and the unarmed kid going for his legs.

Well, that was unexpected.

With a single lazy motion, he sidestepped both of them, and landed two solid hits. Both kids dramatically cried out and collapsed, and the armed one screamed "Avenge us!" and was still.

Suddenly about a dozen more kids swarmed him, and he danced. Each subsequent fallen child tried to outdo the previous one's "death animation." He tried to hit each kid quicker than the last. He apparently overdid it a bit because the last three were paused mid-strike, slackjawed as he 'finished' them. The chatter began in earnest.

"He's as good as Tomoe-nee!"

"He's faster than Tomoe-nee!"

"He can't be as good as Tomoe-san, I only lost an arm!"

At that, Shiki raised an eyebrow.

"She will avenge us! She will restore our dojo's honor!"

"GOZEN-SAMA! AVENGE US!" they began to chant.

Shiki looked around, and spotted two women standing off near the rear of the area the group had been practicing. One was roughly middle age, and had a tied bunch of the play-weapons hoisted over one shoulder. Obviously the instructor. The other was a tall (for her age) wisp of a girl, midnight black hair and dark violet eyes, holding what seemed to be a foamified naginata.

Ah. "Tomoe Gozen-sama*" indeed.

The older woman looked mildly amused, glanced at the girl, and nodded. The girl approached. When in speaking range, she lowered her gaze to the ground and softly asked,

"Will you give it back?"

Shiki took one more look at the sprawled out audience, and decided to ham it up.

"Only death shall ease my grip on this blade!" He felt so ashamed of himself, but he was having fun.

"Then, death shall find you shortly, challenger." And she moved.

She was not fast. She was not graceful. She was not . . . skilled. Not really. But after two thrusts and one horrifically overly-flashy spinning slash, Shiki felt every hair on the back of his neck rise. A couple of his strikes were actually deflected, and then he deflected her next series of thrusts. He ducked and weaved, and began to sweat -but not from the exertion. Not because he took any hits.

One more exchange, to confirm.

He blocked and parried, and left his right side wide open. She stepped back, spun her blade backwards in a wild arc, and came up from below and the left in (what a trained observer would call) a seemingly sloppy and childish bit of showmanship.

All Shiki knew was that every single thrust, slash, and strike this girl unleashed was going straight for his lines.

The audience grew quiet, then silent, as the duel continued. Tomoe was famous among them for her seemingly stupid moves- just when you think she left herself wide open, one end or the other of her weapon came around and struck you, and you knew you were dead. There was no question, just a grim certainty that all members of the group shared without doubt. That this crazy guy was standing here blocking every single 'Tomoe special' flung his way effortlessly was almost mind-breaking.

Both duelists were sweating, and Shiki was beginning to entertain the idea of getting serious when the girl's expression hardened, and she went for one single, perfect thrust. He didn't have to wonder, he didn't have to think. His 'dot' was positioned such on his chest that all he had to do was lean a bit to the right, drop his sword, bring down his left elbow, twist violently to the left, and the naginata was ripped out of the girl's hands. He went low and forward, and stopped dead- his fingertips to her windpipe. An undeniable kill, if he had followed through.

She blinked, and fell to her knees quietly, her expression unreadable. A cross between a deer in headlights and a confused cat, perhaps.

Shiki reached for the discarded blade, and laid it down in front of her.

"I concede. It would be a tragedy to ruin such delicate porcelain beauty for a mere blade."

Her expression didn't change, but her face turned about eighteen shades deeper red.

Yep- I've still got it. He stood up, turned, and walked away.

The peanut gallery held for a beat, then roared.

Elsewhere, one Aino Minako sat up abruptly from her afternoon nap, mumbled something incoherent, and immediately collapsed back into slumber.

I don't know the Sailor Moon universe very well at all, but this certainly seems good on its own merits.

Subscribed.
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by VelspertheCat View Post
    “Reincarnate into a cooler cat. Maybe I'll give a damn then.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    "Live Slow, Die Whenever."
    Quote Originally Posted by kay4today View Post
    If I got a cent everytime I read "Mou~" in a Nanoha fic, I could buy a yacht and laugh at poor people.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors gwonbush's Avatar
    Decently entertaining, but it doesn't really feel like Shiki.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasu
    So as to stimulate the reader's imagination, I try not to write too clearly about mechanics and characters' inner workings.
    I am of the personal belief that the Tsukihime Remake is two years from release. It will remain as such until a release date is announced, at which time its actual release date is 6 months after that date.

The Warrior of the Shadows kinlyki's Avatar
    Golden Lark? Shouldn't you be focusing on Remember?
    With each day, one draws closer to death,

With each day, one expends more of one's life,

With each day, one obtains more memories,

With each day, one gets closer to losing them all.

Whatever gets the creative juices going...

Anyway this is interesting. Looking forward to more.

JP Friend Code
    By request
    Blog Entries
    Looks interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by celsius View Post
    If Saber and Shirou got married... Would that make Shirou the Queen of Britain?

First Priest of the Urobutcher Golden Lark's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Hmm. I always took Shiki for someone willing to poke fun when an opportunity presented itself- post Ciel good ending Shiki being the sort-of-most-cheerful option. We don't see too much of non-angsting Shiki, but he always seems to be more than happy to gently tease someone casually. He's always struck me as someone willing to use any opportunity life gives him for a bit of fun- sort of the crystallization of his resolve to not focus on death, be it his own or that of everyone around him.

Well, I posted this here to get that flavor of feedback, so have at me. If my Shiki is not Shiki enough, I must improve.

Anyways, more setting and situational setup coming next snip, for now, he's in Juuban. The when and why are coming.

For those unfamiliar with Sailor Moon, the girl with the naginata was Tomoe Hotaru, AKA Sailor Saturn - Senshi of Death and Rebirth. Her nickname by her classmates seemed apropos. The girl at the end, Aino Minako, is Sailor Venus - Senshi of Love and Beauty.

Regarding Remember:

This is actually now my third active fic.

Rather than wait until I am in the zone for a 'main' fic, I've found that it will be much more productive to rotate between whatever I feel like writing at the moment. That way, I'll exhaust everything in my head BUT Remember faster. (And I won't go 6 months without writing a damn word like I did this spring/summer)

This is my theory, at least.

As a trivia note, this fic has been floating in my head since 2005. Remember just sort of spontaneously popped up in February 2012 strongly enough to make me post it.
    Last edited by Golden Lark; November 29th, 2012 at 11:53 PM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors gwonbush's Avatar
    Well, part of it is that Shiki isn't the type to scout battlegrounds. He's an incredibly laid back person. Of course, if you expand on what happened before he went to Tokyo, this can be completely reasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasu
    So as to stimulate the reader's imagination, I try not to write too clearly about mechanics and characters' inner workings.
    I am of the personal belief that the Tsukihime Remake is two years from release. It will remain as such until a release date is announced, at which time its actual release date is 6 months after that date.

Banned
    It now occurs to me that I know none of the Japanese names except Usagi and Ami.

Then again, I barely remember the dub either, and even as a kid I only watched enough so that it was a revelation years later when someone told me that yes, there were Scouts for the outer planets too.

黒いスサノヲ, Black Susano'oh IhaxlikeNoob's Avatar
    Ooh, you're starting a story here Lark? I'll be watching this thread.
    NASUVERSE STAMPEDE!!!

The Warrior of the Shadows kinlyki's Avatar
    Do you think you can post Remember here Lark?
    With each day, one draws closer to death,

With each day, one expends more of one's life,

With each day, one obtains more memories,

With each day, one gets closer to losing them all.

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodyle View Post
    It now occurs to me that I know none of the Japanese names except Usagi and Ami.
    Minako Aino = Mina = Sailor Venus.

Then again, I barely remember the dub either, and even as a kid I only watched enough so that it was a revelation years later when someone told me that yes, there were Scouts for the outer planets too.
    It's what got me seriously into anime (before I discovered that shows like Voltron and Astro Boy had been anime, too), as well as fanfiction - so while I don't own much of anything about it anymore (other than the RPG), "Sailor Moon" I remember fairly well.

And that said, this looks very interesting, Mr. Lark - I'll be keeping an eye on it, if for no other reason than to see how Arc deals/connects with "Sailor Moon."
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Interesting. Looks a bit unpolished but promising. The reason for Shiki being in Tokyo might have to be expanded upon, and the description levels aren't uniform (Hotaru got much more details than the other woman). Shiki felt slightly off, but then again I only have second-hand knowledge of Tsukihime.
    One thing I have to nitpick on is that Juuban isn't a ward of Tokyo. Sailor Moon takes place in Minato-ku.

Blog Entries
    Hm, yeah. Gonna back up what everyone else is saying about Shiki, he seems just a touch off compared to how he was in the game. Also, what exactly is the timeline for the story here? Post-Stars or something like that? Because Hotaru was always an outsider, as far as we know. Chibi-Usa and the Inner senshi were really the first people to accept her and befriend her in canon.

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
    Hm, yeah. Gonna back up what everyone else is saying about Shiki, he seems just a touch off compared to how he was in the game. Also, what exactly is the timeline for the story here? Post-Stars or something like that? Because Hotaru was always an outsider, as far as we know. Chibi-Usa and the Inner senshi were really the first people to accept her and befriend her in canon.
    *offers Sailor-Brofist*

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, if he's running off the standard Tsukihime timeline, Hotaru ought to be about Shiki's age (seventeen, almost eighteen), so . . . *shrug* I'll wait and see what he has in mind. I mean, this is Hotaru - my absolute favourite (and the most criminally underused) Senshi!
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Well, if he's running off the standard Tsukihime timeline, Hotaru ought to be about Shiki's age (seventeen, almost eighteen), so . . . *shrug* I'll wait and see what he has in mind. I mean, this is Hotaru - my absolute favourite (and the most criminally underused) Senshi!
    I don't think we're reading the same fanfics.

Who is this lady, and why can she see Death?

Quote Originally Posted by legoguydude View Post
    Who is this lady, and why can she see Death?
    She's Sailor motherfucking Saturn. The Solar's System hard reset button.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'll be watching this with interest, even though I know nothing about Sailor Moon outside of...
    Yeah, I don't know shit about this. I'll still read it though.