Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 691011121316 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning Japanese.

Blog Entries
    My skills are just too lopsided. I was fine with the reading/grammar, but when it came to listening it just turned into noise the second I lost focus once and then I couldn't catch up.

(I'm bad at following conversations in English, too, for what it's worth, and I never learned how to take notes.)

Anyway I need some Tylenol now, head hurts.
    Last edited by Mcjon01; December 7th, 2014 at 09:04 PM.

Bah, N2 listening is practically like N3 listening. It's not all that bad at all. You'll be fine.

Blog Entries
    I've been studying Japanese for a while now. Technology really helps you know. If you have android phone you must download Obenkyo. It's a Kanji writing practice app that let's you type Kanji using touch screen and actually corrects you if you use the wrong stroke order. From my experience it's much more effective to memorize Kanji by writing, even if you aim for reading.
    I've also been using rosetta stone and while the pace is slow, it's pretty fun and makes you talk a bit (speech is my favorite part! I have no one else to talk to...)
    There's a great article on fuwanovel that suggests how to set up visual novels to work dictionaries. This is probably the best thing I did. It's super fun (though tiring at times) and it's a great reading experience.
    For Grammer I used Tae Kim which is pretty good, though if you wanna get better intuition about that stuff then use rosetta.
    There's also an app called HelloTalk for chatting with other language learners. Great idea, though finding an enthusiastic partner can prove to be difficult.
    Overall I've studied about 700 Kanji and some basic grammar. It takes a while until you start seeing results, but it kinda fun when you do.

Unfortunately since uni started this year I have no time to even practice Kanji. I like Japanese more than math ._.
    Last edited by Quibi; December 9th, 2014 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    My skills are just too lopsided. I was fine with the reading/grammar, but when it came to listening it just turned into noise the second I lost focus once and then I couldn't catch up.

(I'm bad at following conversations in English, too, for what it's worth, and I never learned how to take notes.)

Anyway I need some Tylenol now, head hurts.
    It seems you are working hard tho so good luck!

System ∀-99 ∀Gundam BananaShiki's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibi View Post
    I've been studying Japanese for a while now. Technology really helps you know. If you have android phone you must download Obenkyo. It's a Kanji writing practice app that let's you type Kanji using touch screen and actually corrects you if you use the wrong stroke order. From my experience it's much more effective to memorize Kanji by writing, even if you aim for reading.
    I've also been using rosetta stone and while the pace is slow, it's pretty fun and makes you talk a bit (speech is my favorite part! I have no one else to talk to...)
    There's a great article on fuwanovel (I'll post the link later) that suggests how to set up visual novels to work dictionaries. This is probably the best thing I did. It's super fun (though tiring at times) and it's a great reading experience.
    For Grammer I used Tae Kim which is pretty good, though I'd you wanna get better intuition about that stuff then use rosetta.
    There's also an app (forgot name, will edit later) for chatting with other language learners. Great idea, though finding an enthusiastic partner can prove to be difficult.
    Overall I've studied about 700 Kanji and some basic grammar. It takes a while until you start seeing results, but it kinda fun.

Unfortunately since uni started this year I have no time to even practice Kanji. I like Japanese more than math ._.
    Get Anki and read more manga, mining words with VNs is fine and all but makes it much slower to get through compared to manga. Still, just diving in into reading something is one of the best things you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Detective Blackstone View Post
    What if EA was in fact EA. As in Electronic Arts.

Does Gil have to buy DLC for its full power?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Fuck imouto, get power.

Blog Entries
    Stroke order sucks.
    It was made for right-handed people.
    Now Loading...

[15:09] <KnightTurtle> "I WILL NOT DIE FOR THE BEAUTY OF MATH. MATH IS MY SOUL AND BLOOD, MY PASSION. MATH IS WHAT KEEPS THE WORLD RIGHT. I WILL ON FOR THE BEAUTY OF NUMBER CRUNCHING, THE MIND NUMBING ABILITY OF CALCULUS, THE SOUL OF THE BARE BASICS OF ARITHMETIC"
    [21:21] <+EnigmaticFellow> we derive fun from integration

Blog Entries
    出る杭は打たれる

The Japanese solution to this Japanese problem is to write with your right hand to preserve your family's honor and pretend that sinister aberrations like yourself don't exist.

Absolutely disgusting.
    Stroke order is shit anyway.

Fuck imouto, get power.

Blog Entries
    Well, I've been trying. ;_; Interestingly enough, my right-handed moonrunes are noticeably better than my right-handed english words.

But it's totally true about stroke order. 厂 is supposed to be written in two separate strokes which is super awkward with your left hand because you have to push the 一 out. Or 巨 etc.
    Also especially 力 which I write wrong every time and have long since given up on fixing.
    Now Loading...

[15:09] <KnightTurtle> "I WILL NOT DIE FOR THE BEAUTY OF MATH. MATH IS MY SOUL AND BLOOD, MY PASSION. MATH IS WHAT KEEPS THE WORLD RIGHT. I WILL ON FOR THE BEAUTY OF NUMBER CRUNCHING, THE MIND NUMBING ABILITY OF CALCULUS, THE SOUL OF THE BARE BASICS OF ARITHMETIC"
    [21:21] <+EnigmaticFellow> we derive fun from integration

Left-handed people don't exist. You don't exist.

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deaddrunk View Post
    I'm going to have to say this, but with your level, N1 should be a piece of cake.
    OH YEAH that was this week wasn't it? I missed the sign-up deadline this year.

But I'm doing practice things, and yeah. It's harder than N2 was, but not nearly as hard as I have led myself to believe. Mainly just need to study vocab.

Mcjon, N2 listening seems hard especially if you don't get to use it much, but I did way better than I thought I did. Even if you don't do well, at your level N2 grammar and reading sections should be fine and you will very likely pass.

Quote Originally Posted by StarPlatinum View Post
    Absolutely disgusting.
    Stroke order is shit anyway.
    Get out, mongrel.

nah, but really, stroke order is pretty important. It's maybe hard to see if you didn't grow up learning characters but like, 90% of people who learn Chinese/Japanese late in life as a foreign language, even those who have been doing it for a long time, have really robotic and misproportioned handwriting to me.

Also if you don't know stroke order, good luck looking anything up in a real dictionary.

I guess it's shit in terms of how it affects ease of learning. Calligraphy's mostly dead in English, for better or worse.
    Last edited by mewarmo990; December 8th, 2014 at 10:30 PM.

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    AH FUCK

Just venting. Writing a paper. I hate reading pre-WW2 literature. Shit's hard.

Yeah

Fuck imouto, get power.

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    impressive, is all I have to say

Blog Entries
    No matter how many times I see that I still have no idea what piggy was supposed to be.

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    Where can I find more of that? What book is it anyway?

Blog Entries
    I don't know, I just see different pages posted on 4chan sometimes. It's, like, a dictionary compiled by 18th century Portuguese merchants or something.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaShiki View Post

Yeah
    Die job

Blog Entries
    Or something, adjust the fact to be in line with Japanese history if you actually know it because I don't even.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    piggy arimas