Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by GaterJ4wz View Post
    What with like 33,000* or so symbols?

*someone correct me on this if its wrong.
    Over 50000 total, 2k for regular use.

Why am I holding a scale? The Curious Fan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enhance View Post
    I don't think you want a list.
    What about a list with a search function? Or would that still produce too many results to be practical?

And I suppose I should start my learning by finding a sheet of Hiragana and/or katakana characters and learning what each means?
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    It's 100% even. Alexander was naturally gifted with a huge penis, but Archer, who was born hopelessly average, nevertheless attained a huge penis through years of jelqing and penis pumping.
    "Did not see some of it coming AT ALL--crazy ramifications for Dresdenverse" - Anne Sowards 08/03/12 on Twitter regarding Cold Days
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple View Post
    Clearly, immersing himself in excessive grimdark has turned Gen into a warlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Five_X
    Zelretch: Time travelling sex offender.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
    If the HGW was fought between Indian heroes Fuyuki would be a smoking crater.

Like this Facebook page please: https://www.facebook.com/EvilHatProductions

To my point about learning kanji before kana, I think it's a bad idea because you end up representing kanji with your roman language perception, which you want to avoid if you're serious.

< Says all that shit without actually learning Japanese yet.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    If you have a DS, there's Kakitori-kun, which is a game for kids in Japan to practice the kanji kids learn in elementary school.

I like the dictionary called Yarxi, it has an English interface but it's made by Russians.

Blog Entries
    I would place katakana lowest in the priority list tho. Once you get acquainted with a bit of Kanji and Hiragana do a bit of reading,preferably manga for starters. pick up Katakana bit by bit as you go along.

Quote Originally Posted by creativebasterd View Post
    I would place katakana lowest in the priority list tho. Once you get acquainted with a bit of Kanji and Hiragana do a bit of reading,preferably manga for starters. pick up Katakana bit by bit as you go along.
    You can just get it off the way. But learning kanji before both kana is a bad idea, in my opinion. Like, really bad, and going this way may give awful result even if you decide to turn back later.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Start here:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ragana.svg.png

Memorize the basic sounds in Japanese and the hiragana that goes with them.

Though ignore "wi" and "we," they aren't used anymore.

Into that mountain we go! Gaterjhonz's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I suppose it doesn't help to be learning from a PDF that's based on a book reprinted in the 80s?
    Not so Mega Sig, now properly spoilered
    Spoiler:
    [20:39] <Fishie> I'MA GO PUT HER UNDEREWAR ON MY HEAD LIKE A SALARY PERSON
    the whole story here

A travel Advisory:
    Spoiler:

Come visit the 7th Dimension--Where nightmares dreams are made into realities

[23:50] <Sieg> Gater is golddigging deviant?

[11:59] <TheoReforged> I KNOW WHO YOU ARE NOW
    [11:59] <TheoReforged> YOU'RE .... ROADBUSTER!
    [12:00] <@Leo> i'm sorry but that's retarded
    [12:00] <Irondefiler> *cricket sounds*

Beast's Lair's own Dwarf Fortress succession game is now recruiting mighty able dwarves, sign up if you have what it takes!

Blog Entries
    Well, Hiragana is actually pretty easy to learn, it'll take you three days to memorize at most if you're serious. imo learning Kanji or hiragana first won't act as a detriment to your overall progress Tho, generally speaking people do learn Hiragana first before they get to Kanji.

Well, Hiragana is actually pretty easy to learn, it'll take you three days hours to memorize at most if you're serious.
    What I'm saying is that learning Kanji without memorizing - and being able to represent them in - hiragana or katakana is fundamentally wrong.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, and then you get to those kanji which have multiple pronunciations. That is to say, pretty much all of them.

Blog Entries
    Well, I did say imo.

and by days I meant actually acquiring the ability to freely utilize hiragana,writing and reading.

Well, I did say imo.

and by days I meant actually acquiring the ability to freely utilize hiragana,writing and reading.
    Reading would be enough for learning. I, for example, do not intend to learn to write anytime soon.

Blog Entries
    As for resources...I personally acquired more of my Japanese from video games, music, manga, and animu than I ever did from the textbooks. My Japanophobe Japanese father did not help in the least.

Oh, and once you get to a certain level, chatrooms are always helpful. Definitely helped with making stuff sound more natural.

And I still absolutely fail at writing kanji without a dictionary. Typing is no problem, though.

Blog Entries
    Well I'm a perfectionist of sort so I always took writing into consideration since I first learned japanese. Enhance's approach is not half bad as well if you're aiming for such mastery.

and that ^ once your japanese gets to a certain level watch a lot of animu play a lot of eroges. And I mean a lot. that's your highway ticket to becoming a true weaboo.
    Last edited by CreativeMasta; December 31st, 2012 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reiu View Post
    As for resources...I personally acquired more of my Japanese from video games, music, manga, and animu than I ever did from the textbooks. My Japanophobe Japanese father did not help in the least.

Oh, and once you get to a certain level, chatrooms are always helpful. Definitely helped with making stuff sound more natural.

And I still absolutely fail at writing kanji without a dictionary. Typing is no problem, though.
    You have my congratulations, as you learned it through the efficient and lasting way.
    Courses, textbooks, exercise books and other stuff like that are really poor for learning languages and work in the roundabout/wrong way - that's basically what I came to after learning all that stuff both ways.

Into that mountain we go! Gaterjhonz's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So a healthy dose of kanji with hiragan and katakana thrown in is not exactly bad right? Okay I'm saved.
    Not so Mega Sig, now properly spoilered
    Spoiler:
    [20:39] <Fishie> I'MA GO PUT HER UNDEREWAR ON MY HEAD LIKE A SALARY PERSON
    the whole story here

A travel Advisory:
    Spoiler:

Come visit the 7th Dimension--Where nightmares dreams are made into realities

[23:50] <Sieg> Gater is golddigging deviant?

[11:59] <TheoReforged> I KNOW WHO YOU ARE NOW
    [11:59] <TheoReforged> YOU'RE .... ROADBUSTER!
    [12:00] <@Leo> i'm sorry but that's retarded
    [12:00] <Irondefiler> *cricket sounds*

Beast's Lair's own Dwarf Fortress succession game is now recruiting mighty able dwarves, sign up if you have what it takes!

Well I'm a perfectionist of sort so I always took writing into consideration since I first learned japanese. Enhance's approach is not half bad as well if you're aiming for such mastery
    I did not say I did not consider writing; I would, but on a later phase, when I'm confident with reading.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GaterJ4wz View Post
    So a healthy dose of kanji with hiragan and katakana thrown in is not exactly bad right? Okay I'm saved.
    My advice would be to master (reading) hiragana now though. It's not going to take long.

Blog Entries
    What's msot important however. DON'T LOOSE YOUR ENTHUSIASM Believe in the Japanese subculture because it believes in you as well