Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning Japanese.

Blog Entries
    Meh, I hardly write anything in English nowadays. It's all word processors. So I personally have no use for writing, since I communicate with my Japanese friends through the Internet.

It depends on what you're aiming for, I guess.

Oh, and how could I forget light novels. I learned all these kanji that I did not ever need to know from Durarara. Damn you, Narita.

Quote Originally Posted by creativebasterd View Post
    What's msot important however. DON'T LOOSE YOUR ENTHUSIASM Believe in the Japanese subculture because it believes in you as well
    Ima-learn-this-awesome-Japanese-language-so-I-can-go-to-Japan-and-be-kawaii-ninja-like-Sasuke-but-drop-learning-in-a-week-people-I-know-counter: 6

Are you going to be next? \o\

Blog Entries
    I learned most of the Kanji I know from textbooks trying to pick up reading and writing at the same time... well, at least I was successful

Quote Originally Posted by Reiu View Post
    Meh, I hardly write anything in English nowadays. It's all word processors. So I personally have no use for writing, since I communicate with my Japanese friends through the Internet.

It depends on what you're aiming for, I guess.

Oh, and how could I forget light novels. I learned all these kanji that I did not ever need to know from Durarara. Damn you, Narita.
    Writing stuff with hands? Been long... usually I draw shit or type one-two words where required *when making up program structure*.

When in class I might note down what professor is saying, but it's been ages since I've been in class. Sue me.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    Try and use Japanese words randomly during the day too, that's the only reason I can still count.

And handing people their change while speaking Japanese is great.

Why am I holding a scale? The Curious Fan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As for resources...I personally acquired more of my Japanese from video games, music, manga, and animu than I ever did from the textbooks. My Japanophobe Japanese father did not help in the least.

Oh, and once you get to a certain level, chatrooms are always helpful. Definitely helped with making stuff sound more natural.

And I still absolutely fail at writing kanji without a dictionary. Typing is no problem, though.
    Noted.

Well I'm a perfectionist of sort so I always took writing into consideration since I first learned japanese. Enhance's approach is not half bad as well if you're aiming for such mastery.

and that ^ once your japanese gets to a certain level watch a lot of animu play a lot of eroges. And I mean a lot. that's your highway ticket to becoming a true weaboo.
    I will, once I can understand them.

What's msot important however. DON'T LOOSE YOUR ENTHUSIASM Believe in the Japanese subculture because it believes in you as well
    That's the most important advice for anything that requires time. And I won't, I'll never hear the end of it if I do.

EDIT: Found Hiragana and Katakana lists.
    Last edited by The Curious Fan; December 31st, 2012 at 11:19 AM.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    It's 100% even. Alexander was naturally gifted with a huge penis, but Archer, who was born hopelessly average, nevertheless attained a huge penis through years of jelqing and penis pumping.
    "Did not see some of it coming AT ALL--crazy ramifications for Dresdenverse" - Anne Sowards 08/03/12 on Twitter regarding Cold Days
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple View Post
    Clearly, immersing himself in excessive grimdark has turned Gen into a warlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Five_X
    Zelretch: Time travelling sex offender.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
    If the HGW was fought between Indian heroes Fuyuki would be a smoking crater.

Like this Facebook page please: https://www.facebook.com/EvilHatProductions

Into that mountain we go! Gaterjhonz's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    one word: ENTHUSIASM and another: DRIVE
    Not so Mega Sig, now properly spoilered
    Spoiler:
    [20:39] <Fishie> I'MA GO PUT HER UNDEREWAR ON MY HEAD LIKE A SALARY PERSON
    the whole story here

A travel Advisory:
    Spoiler:

Come visit the 7th Dimension--Where nightmares dreams are made into realities

[23:50] <Sieg> Gater is golddigging deviant?

[11:59] <TheoReforged> I KNOW WHO YOU ARE NOW
    [11:59] <TheoReforged> YOU'RE .... ROADBUSTER!
    [12:00] <@Leo> i'm sorry but that's retarded
    [12:00] <Irondefiler> *cricket sounds*

Beast's Lair's own Dwarf Fortress succession game is now recruiting mighty able dwarves, sign up if you have what it takes!

Blog Entries
    Learning a language is not easy. It took me a year and a half just to get to the kind of level I'm at now. You'll have to learn an entire language from square one. It's not like learning spanish,french going from english. It is a completely new language structure so you'll have to be very patient. However you're a proud weaboo like we all are so you're destined to master japanese one day one way or another.

won't be a problem at all yes?

Blog Entries
    It helps if you start early, of course. I was lucky enough to have a twelve-year-old self bored enough to try. Probably learned more from 12~14 than anything after.

And I know this sounds funny, but talking to myself worked. Lots and lots of muttering to myself in Japanese. When nobody's around, of course.

Blog Entries
    http://forum.koohii.com/viewtopic.php?id=5322

Just do that. You'll be fluent in ■■■■■■■! So easy!
    Well, it's basically how I study when I study so it must work. Some.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Just, whatever you do, don't take a look at the JLPT samples. You'll look at the N1 and maybe even N2 levels and feel the cold weight of despair.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Curious Fan View Post
    They have unique symbols for individual words? That is going to be a pain to memorise.
    oh boy oh boy
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    I took JLPT... Got N2 will take N1 on july

Blog Entries
    Eh...all stuff that can be learned from light novels and eroge. srsly

It's just practice, practice, practice. Buy up all the light novels that interest you (Japanese books are cheap anyways), and work your way through. It amazingly doesn't feel like work.

I have Urobuchi and Gil to thank for greatly expanding my vocab. Gotta love those archaisms.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Just, whatever you do, don't take a look at the JLPT samples. You'll look at the N1 and maybe even N2 levels and feel the cold weight of despair.
    Hm, tasty difficult questions.
    Spoiler:
    the whole story here

A travel Advisory:
    Spoiler:

Beast's Lair's own Dwarf Fortress succession game is now recruiting mighty able dwarves, sign up if you have what it takes!

Why am I holding a scale? The Curious Fan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It helps if you start early, of course. I was lucky enough to have a twelve-year-old self bored enough to try. Probably learned more from 12~14 than anything after.

And I know this sounds funny, but talking to myself worked. Lots and lots of muttering to myself in Japanese. When nobody's around, of course.
    18 and a few months, that young enough to count as starting early?

- - - Updated - - -

http://forum.koohii.com/viewtopic.php?id=5322

Just do that. You'll be fluent in ■■■■■■■! So easy!
    Well, it's basically how I study when I study so it must work. Some.
    Those videos are going to take a while to get through, I'll watch them when it's not 2am. Could be useful though.

And to everyone else, badger me about it if the thread has gone too long without use.
    Last edited by The Curious Fan; December 31st, 2012 at 11:55 AM.
    Spoiler:
    It's 100% even. Alexander was naturally gifted with a huge penis, but Archer, who was born hopelessly average, nevertheless attained a huge penis through years of jelqing and penis pumping.
    "Did not see some of it coming AT ALL--crazy ramifications for Dresdenverse" - Anne Sowards 08/03/12 on Twitter regarding Cold Days
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple View Post
    Clearly, immersing himself in excessive grimdark has turned Gen into a warlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Five_X
    Zelretch: Time travelling sex offender.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
    If the HGW was fought between Indian heroes Fuyuki would be a smoking crater.

Like this Facebook page please: https://www.facebook.com/EvilHatProductions

Blog Entries
    I think that's actually a decent time to start. I don't think the brain is finished developing at that age.

And plus, you're legally old enough to play eroge. No need to scramble to switch screens when parents knock at the door.

Ah, those days when I could inveigle them into buying video games for me by calling them "language practice."

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Really, for languages they say that you want to develop multiple languages in your pre-adolescent years. By the time you're even a teenager it gets dramatically more difficult to start learning a whole new language. There's not as great a difference between a fifteen year old learning it and someone in their twenties or thirties, compared to someone who is still in single digits.

Not that you'd be on a forum at nine years old, hopefully.

Blog Entries

- - - Updated - - -

Those videos are going to take a while to get through, I'll watch them when it's not 2am. Could be useful though.

Hey I'm 20 and something and I'm still learning as a noob so its still early
    Spoiler:
    the whole story here

A travel Advisory:
    Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    No!

But SRS is super easy for learning vocabulary no matter how old you are. So do that. Definitely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Really, for languages they say that you want to develop multiple languages in your pre-adolescent years. By the time you're even a teenager it gets dramatically more difficult to start learning a whole new language. There's not as great a difference between a fifteen year old learning it and someone in their twenties or thirties, compared to someone who is still in single digits.

Not that you'd be on a forum at nine years old, hopefully.
    This. For languages, "early" is "child". Sorry everybody who's banking on having vocabulary superpowers because you're starting at fifteen or whatever, you're old. Go ahead and have your midlife crisis and get back to studying. :V