Page 276 of 282 FirstFirst ... 176226266271274275276277278281 ... LastLast
Results 5,501 to 5,520 of 5637

Thread: Mahoutsukai no Yoru

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    I finally, finally, finally got around to completing this game.
    Between issues with my Switch storage, and other games piling up, and Lostbelt 7 coming out, I had a plethora of issues finding a suitably long stretch of days for me to just sit down and (re)play this game to its very end, Extra chapter included.

I guess I should start with that Extra chapter, being the big new addition of this rerelease. It reminded me a bit of that gag story in KT where you play hide-and-seek in Tohno Mansion with every freaking character that got their own sprite in Tsuki. This quickly proved to be a different beast, though it still carried a lot of the same humorous tone throughout. I can say I liked it, being in Kojika's shoes was cool, we got to find out a good amount about her and the mystery novel aspect was entertaining, to a point. The game doesn't lie when it tells you this thing is long, but I wasn't expecting over 3 hours. It rly got grating towards the end. And I can't quite be sure it was worth that much time. I didn't dislike it, but I don't think I'll replay it ever again.

Next, the translation is another big thing here. We have a TYPE-MOON visual novel officially translated into English. It still doesn't feel real to say something like that. To live in an era where the hard work to bring the Good-Nasu-Shit to the west was done by a localization team, rather than fans painstakingly modding the game. That, by itself, is worthy of praise, and I can only hope this spawns in a new era where it becomes the norm.
    As for the translation itself, it was about what I expected. The fact the english text was formatted to the widescreen while the "dark window" stayed in the "4:3 zone" did fuck with me a bit, but after adjusting the opacity in the settings it was easy to get used to. The use of imperial units was distracting at points, seeing as I'm not used to them, so I had to convert from the imperial units back to metric in my head. Though it's an understandable choice, I'm just nitpicking. While I don't agree with the "FGO NA terminology" they went with ("Mytics" *pffft*), I can at least praise the attempt to make a consistent english glossary across multiple works. For a fan that isn't in the loop about the many many many translation talks in the fandom, it's definitely easier for them to grasp terms they've seen before. Other than that, a few typos and errors here and there, but nothing that made it disruptive. Finally, I'm a guy that likes honorifics and Japanese name orders in his translations, and those are an increasing rarity nowadays. This TL doesn't change that trend, and does away with those things. This isn't a negative point, I just like weebshit.

Finally, the voice work. I think everyone did a splendid job. Everyone had a voice I was expecting them to have after having played the original version of the game. The only one different would be Beo, who I believed changed his voice when he changed forms. However, keeping his kid voice works for the character and it was easy to get used to. The other performance I wanted to point out was Aoki as Touko. She did a great job and fit the character, but it wasn't an imitation of Honda's performance from KnK. There is a distinct difference in the pitch. This isn't a knock on either VA, but I do wonder what'll happen from now on when the character shows up in the future and what criteria will be used to decide which actress will portray her in that specific project. Honda reprised the role as recently as 2021 with Grace Note after all, so she's still got it.

Those are my rambling thoughts as I type this at 2AM before a Monday. Playing that Extra chapter at night rly wasn't my brightest idea. Oh well...
    Last edited by TomPen94; February 12th, 2023 at 09:54 PM.
    burn your dread you coward

the Kojika chapter isnt a new addition.

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    Yea I got confused since it wasn't translated before so I had never even started it.

Quote Originally Posted by DaNike View Post
    I mean patching the TL for Switch. The format that the text is in is simple enough to modify, then it's just a matter of generating a mod that can be loaded by an emulator.
    any progress in this project ?

JP Friend Code
    Ask me
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Aryma View Post
    I don't think anyone is actually working on something like that. Tsukihimates has a tool that can technically support the game and edit the files just like how they did the patch for Tsukihime remake, if anyone really wants to bother with something like that- then that's better than editing the raw text files.

Quote Originally Posted by Aryma View Post
    My tool (https://github.com/nike4613/MahoyoHDRepack) is able to extract text, and generate a RomFS delta containing that text modified right now, if you want to play with it. You'll need to look at Ryujinx's documentation for how to load that, but the tool itself should be fairly simple to use.

I can confirm your tool works more than well enough. I ended up doing a mini patch for a friend to fix some of the more standout stuff of the official TL, and it was of great help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    Is there a possibility that if the HM translation is finished, a similar patch could be done for the Switch version?

Quote Originally Posted by TomPen94 View Post
    Is there a possibility that if the HM translation is finished, a similar patch could be done for the Switch version?
    Do you mean if the HM TL will be made available for the switch version too? Or did you typo and mean to say if the HM translation isn't finished, can a similar patch like the one I mentioned above be done?

The answer to both I guess is I don't see why not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    Quote Originally Posted by fumei View Post
    Do you mean if the HM TL will be made available for the switch version too? Or did you typo and mean to say if the HM translation isn't finished, can a similar patch like the one I mentioned above be done?

The answer to both I guess is I don't see why not.
    I meant the first one. The HM tl being finished would be my excuse to play the game in its entirety for the 4th time and doing it with the voiced version would be swell.
    Thanks!

'You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory' ResidentSeagull's Avatar
    A comprehensive guide to living in the Balkans: Step 1) Leave
    Mahoyo sold 150,000 units

Well, congrats on the number

US Friend Code
    #mahoyosweep

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    That's almost like... 1 SSR in F/GO!

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Nanaya's Avatar
    Don't worry, it'll be standard practice for you to roll to unlock each sprite and chapter by the time sequels get made. You won't be able to beat the fight scenes unless you have enough special effects.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code

we will have to expect a possible format change for mahoyo

US Friend Code
    This is from TM Ace? Sadly I'm pretty sure he's brought up before that Mahoyo sequels may not be VNs.

As long as its not gacha

Even if they are VNs, haven't they said repeatedly not to expect them to have the same level of presentation as Mahoyo? It's my understanding that Mahoyo was a product of circumstances that no longer exist.

Circumstances like what?