Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Thread: JukePop Serials

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    The Chronicles continue in this Urban Fantasy adventure. Forest goes digging in an unsavory environment to find out more about the disappearances and taking an Unseelie maiden isn't something that is going to go unnoticed in Faerie.

Also, Beam, brace yourself, a yuri ship will be approaching.
    ya linked chapter 1 here, not chapter 2.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MZeroX View Post
    ya linked chapter 1 here, not chapter 2.
    Well, one can get to chapter two at the bottom of the page. Its for all the people who haven't read it yet.

Which they should, because it is awesome.

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Jennifer...language=en_US

Forest is a vampire who's a bit too good for her own good and doesn't know when to leave things alone. Armed with a ridiculously large hand gun, martial arts skills, a bitching pony car, and a love for pop culture she fights the forces of evil. Urban Fantasy 80's Style.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    Elfgasm: The phenomenon that occurs among the general populace whenever a certain user who has been claimed to wear jackboots and is pointy-eared posts an idea or updates and is met with majority approval to the point of near-zeal as a result of said poster's popularity with the writing crowd.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    derp, i dun see the drop down menu, lol.

I got a good laugh from post-scuffle bar scene. Keep up the good work~

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    Why isn't everyone writing on this site yet.
    I'm working on it, honest!

The Chronicles continue in this Urban Fantasy adventure. Forest goes digging in an unsavory environment to find out more about the disappearances and taking an Unseelie maiden isn't something that is going to go unnoticed in Faerie.

Voted!
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Yuri ship where.

Oh, and voted.
    Last edited by RadiantBeam; April 1st, 2013 at 10:03 PM.

So er Elf, I gave your story a try.

First 5 seconds:

Chuckling, he pulled the Slim Jim from his jacket pocket and slid into the window seal.

You're lucky it's late, I'm tired, or I would so tear into this like...like...like a thing that tears into things.

I'll read the rest later, doesn't seem too bad.
    Last edited by ratstsrub; April 2nd, 2013 at 01:39 AM.

Read and voted on Chapter 2! I'm actually kind of fascinated that the people abducting and selling children consider a human child and a newly-turned vampire fledgling (but who was an adult human before the change) to both be "children," which suggests that there's much more going on than just generic anti-child evil. That's a nice touch. I also laughed out loud at "But they're men!" (paraphrasing here) Forest continues to be an appealing character; I love her quirks (come to think of it, enhanced vampire senses would make something like orange juice from concentrate less palatable) and I continue to have many happy feelings about the fact that you have been willing to:

1) Make your lead character a true supernatural, rather than just a human being (or a human being with powers);
    2) Give her a reason rooted in character history why she wouldn't be a follower of a Christian religion (another one of my pet peeves in UF is that so often magic is treated as "Your Very Generic Neo-Pagan, Non-Christian Faith Gives You Magic Powers"; thank you for instead treating Forest's faith as a proper part of her character instead)
    3) Allow her to keep rooted in human morality despite her age and vampirism (I know, this sounds very much like a contradiction of point #1 above, but really what I'm saying is that a person doesn't have to be biologically human to be a person rather than some kind of alien monster--it's the Fae I expect to show alien motivations because they come from an alien culture.)

On the down side, this chapter had a considerable number of editing flaws that stood out. Especially significant were things like missing hyphens (that is, words that should be hyphenated instead being written as two words) and a number of places where words/concepts that were not proper nouns being written as if they were (in other words, things that a spellchecker would not have the ability to catch). I have no idea if it was true or not, but the impression it gave me was that you were rushing to make a deadline and didn't have the time to be as careful with the proofreading as you otherwise would be. Since JukePop does not allow you to edit chapters after they're released (unlike, say, when Moczo e-publishes stories on Amazon and one of his readers catches a typo), that does create a bit of trouble--those of us here, obviously, aren't going to turn away from your work because of a few typos, but the "random interested stranger" votes are out there, too. (Now I feel like I'm nitpicking... *sigh* )

Anyway, please, keep the chapters coming. You've got me hooked! (I also notice that once again, you're deliberately inviting that "cliffhanger chapter ending" pattern which is deliberately suited to the serial fiction format in which you're publishing the story; I like that you're deliberately showing awareness of the medium and not just cut-and-pasting chapters of a standard novel--it enhances my enjoyment of reading the story in this one-installment-at-a-time fashion!)
    Quotes & Stuff...No, no stuff, just quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Oh, man, you ruined it, I was typing up a big thing about how "three reams" equals 3000 sheets of paper, and that it connects back to the ancient Japanese legend about how folding a thousand paper cranes will grant you a single wish. It was going to be wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    Not really, more like he knows that realistically he can't save everyone but he's going to strive to do so no matter what regardless, because Fuck The Ideal Police.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's not procrastination, it's pressure-assisted output management.
    I'm a neckbeard, son. If I ever multiply it'd be through cell division.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
    1) Make your lead character a true supernatural, rather than just a human being (or a human being with powers);
    Ironically, the original idea for Forest came from the sheer lack of female "heroic" vampires. There was Nick Knight from "Forever Knight" and Angel over on BtVS (she was created way before Spike got his soul), and the beginning of the paranormal romance front where Every.Single. Vampire. Good Person. Was Male. The female vampires were restricted to the jealous ex or straight up villaness route. Which always pissed me off. So, Forest grew out of that. Ironically, I gave her a masculine name though.

Oh dear god, the typoes!
    Ironically, I do have two people proofing it for me. Both Roadbuster and Mozco. (Also Faerie is suppose to be capitalized. It's a thing.)

Anyway, please, keep the chapters coming. You've got me hooked! (I also notice that once again, you're deliberately inviting that "cliffhanger chapter ending" pattern which is deliberately suited to the serial fiction format in which you're publishing the story; I like that you're deliberately showing awareness of the medium and not just cut-and-pasting chapters of a standard novel--it enhances my enjoyment of reading the story in this one-installment-at-a-time fashion!)
    Thank you very much. Honestly, in "Scream Queen" a lot of the chapters are set up that way as well. It's also true of the Harry Dresden books.

Also, 55 votes so far. Thank you everyone.

Forest is a vampire who's a bit too good for her own good and doesn't know when to leave things alone. Armed with a ridiculously large hand gun, martial arts skills, a bitching pony car, and a love for pop culture she fights the forces of evil. Urban Fantasy 80's Style.

Elfgasm: The phenomenon that occurs among the general populace whenever a certain user who has been claimed to wear jackboots and is pointy-eared posts an idea or updates and is met with majority approval to the point of near-zeal as a result of said poster's popularity with the writing crowd.

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Read and voted.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Ironically, the original idea for Forest came from the sheer lack of female "heroic" vampires. There was Nick Knight from "Forever Knight" and Angel over on BtVS (she was created way before Spike got his soul), and the beginning of the paranormal romance front where Every.Single. Vampire. Good Person. Was Male. The female vampires were restricted to the jealous ex or straight up villaness route. Which always pissed me off. So, Forest grew out of that. Ironically, I gave her a masculine name though.
    And we're ten years later and it's still completely frickin' true! Okay, once in a while a female vampire lead comes along in a paranormal romance, but immediately they're paired with a More Uber Than Thou male just so that we can't forget how weak and in need of a man they are. *bitterly sarcastic eyeroll* (Hm, I'd better stop here; RadiantBeam knows just how much of a rant I can go off on with regard to the role of women in the romance genre. ) Ergo, my enjoyment of Forest as an outlier is still fully justified!

Ironically, I do have two people proofing it for me. Both Roadbuster and Mozco. (Also Faerie is suppose to be capitalized. It's a thing.)
    This is where I would crack a joke about how Moczo has me help proofread some of his original stuff, but I can't do that because it would mean that anytime people find a typo in his work they could then point and mock me. =) So I'll have to remain silent.

(In all seriousness, though, I wasn't counting Faerie; it doesn't have to be capitalized (unless referring to the place, of course, which is a proper noun), but it's a common usage for race names in fantasy/UF to be treated as proper nouns. Some examples would be "European Metal" (should be "European metal"; musical genre names are not generally treated as proper nouns), "Screwdriver," "Highway Robbery," and especially "Waxing Crescent." Actually, those aren't examples; they're the entire list!)

Thank you very much. Honestly, in "Scream Queen" a lot of the chapters are set up that way as well. It's also true of the Harry Dresden books.

Also, 55 votes so far. Thank you everyone.
    56, now (I noticed you'd gotten another one when I nipped over to check the chapter!)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername View Post
    Read and voted.
    And now we know why.
    Oh, man, you ruined it, I was typing up a big thing about how "three reams" equals 3000 sheets of paper, and that it connects back to the ancient Japanese legend about how folding a thousand paper cranes will grant you a single wish. It was going to be wonderful.
    Not really, more like he knows that realistically he can't save everyone but he's going to strive to do so no matter what regardless, because Fuck The Ideal Police.

Blog Entries
    Well, I'll always can use another pair of eyes if anyone wants to volunteer.

There's 57 votes up there now. Can you guys get me up to 60 by tomorrow?

God have mercy on my rolls... Servant Shiki's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Noir
    Finally freaking voted! Sorry Elf, my procrastination was working against you this time.
    Lancer x Archer OTP
    Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    Tonight, after a bout of illness and overtime at work keeping me down, something magical happened. Chapter Three went live! If you haven't gotten a chance to check out The Law Unto Herself Chronicles, please do!

Also our own Mozco has his own serial up!

Go check out Eviction Notice, the first part of the "Prices Negotiable" series. For the right price, Eric Margrave will bring down almost any supernatural creature causing trouble. In "Eviction Notice", Margrave's newest choice of affordable safe housing is more than the simple haunting he expected. If you're a fan of The Dresden Files, then I'd really recommend this story to you, fair readers!

Also, please remember to vote!

We get reimbursed depending on how many votes we get, and voting is easy as pie and you can vote for each chapter.

And if you wanna comment on our literary talents-or lack there of, the comment set up that JukePop created is very user friendly.

So read, enjoy, and review!

Blog Entries
    Already voted for Moczo, but I also voted for chapter 3 of your story, Elf.

God have mercy on my rolls... Servant Shiki's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Noir
    Voted for both of them!
    Lancer x Archer OTP
    Spoiler:

Voted for both! Thanks for also plugging Moczo's story, Elf; I hadn't known he was putting it there.

I'm getting the very distinct impression that werewolves in "The Law Unto Herself Chronicles" are rather much like those in the classic movie Werewolf of London, where Dr. Yogami describes them as being neither man nor wolf, but a Satanic combination of the worst traits of both. I'm interested by the fact that they are cursed, and yet operate in a pack structure. It's a combination seen in other UF series as well, where, essentially, a group of disease sufferers have banded together to create a subculture for themselves. Which implies, anthropologically speaking, that werewolves are way too damn common in this setting. Especially when "violent asshole" appears to be their default personality setting. Maybe Forest can thin the herd a bit.

The second point that hit me was another world-building note: that Forest had a negative reaction to a cross. You've already told us that Forest is not and never was a Christian, so it's not a tie to her own past that's relevant, and I very strongly doubt it's meant to imply that Christian theology is correct in this setting as opposed to other religions. So now I'm curious about that point as well: is it therefore any holy or religious symbol that's antithetical to vampires? Or is something else going on. So that's twice, now, in this chapter that you've introduced a point into the story which has me asking myself more questions about the underlying world-setting. (And, I may add, where you've resisted the urge to infodump with the answers to those questions in a place where it'd be inappropriate for the action of the story! )

And I couldn't help but laugh out loud at the Roman Bastard proper noun joke. Not only was it funny in and of itself, but it takes a big woman to make fun of yourself out of your own tendency to capitalize common nouns as if they were proper nouns ("Rap," "No Kill," and "Jill" would be the offenders this time; you also have a tendency to use it for emphasis ("Bad and Nasty," "Happily Ever After," and "Happy Ends") or to highlight general concepts to imply their formal status in-universe ("Untouched," "Sire"), but those aren't mistakes per se)! So the meta-humor made me laugh all the harder. Good work!

On that theme, I think you may have meant "debutante" rather than "debutant" although the latter is not technically a misspelling but a different word.

Also, the Ghoul Queen is scary as hell. The little-girl-as-supernatural-mega-horror by itself always gets the corrupted-innocence vibe going, but introducing that after she'd already frozen up a room full of vampires added creepy on top of threat level, creating genuine scariness. Hope Forest doesn't have to go through her to get to the other end of the story alive!

Blog Entries
    Voted for both! Thanks for also plugging Moczo's story, Elf; I hadn't known he was putting it there.
    ... I would have plugged it here, but I had no idea this thread was a thing.

And hey, since Elf already linked it, I don't have to! This is just like the most convenient thing ever. Thank you to everyone who voted, of course. ^_^

And of course, I already voted for all of Elf's chapters, so I'd call us even.
    Last edited by Moczo; May 17th, 2013 at 10:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    I think it's less that we're elitist assholes and more that that's just plain terrible.
    Jesus fucking christ on a hopped up crutch.

Part of being a writer is to fuck what people think and tell you and just write. Write to prove the naysayers wrong. Throw your giant brass testies on the table and say, "Look at that bitch, I wrote it. Fuck yeah."

Moczo's Amazon E-Publishing

Moczo's Smashwords E-Publishing

Blog Entries
    Vote for all of the chapters.

Blog Entries
    Well, at the very least, y'all should vote for this one. New chapter is live as of now, boys and girls! Vote, vote like the wind.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    I think it's less that we're elitist assholes and more that that's just plain terrible.
    Jesus fucking christ on a hopped up crutch.

Part of being a writer is to fuck what people think and tell you and just write. Write to prove the naysayers wrong. Throw your giant brass testies on the table and say, "Look at that bitch, I wrote it. Fuck yeah."

Moczo's Amazon E-Publishing

Moczo's Smashwords E-Publishing

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
    Well, at the very least, y'all should vote for this one. New chapter is live as of now, boys and girls! Vote, vote like the wind.
    Voted!