Page 254 of 302 FirstFirst ... 154204244249252253254255256259264 ... LastLast
Results 5,061 to 5,080 of 6024

Thread: Fire Emblem

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    I always treated it as the typical "you reduce boss's HP to 0 in-game, but said boss only dies in a scripted event" situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Considering how much debate there is regarding Edelgard's character, actions, and motivations, I honestly wonder if some professional literary critic or someone of that type has written an actual scholarly analysis/review of her as a character and the circumstances she and the other characters found themselves in. I mean, I know we as forumites and commenters have written our own long-form entries on the matter, but I'm just curious if anyone's gone the extra mile with this.
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Being a recent, completely fictitious character, probably not, but you can get a good idea of how one would sound, based on commentaries about Gil, Nobu, or Mengde. I'm pretty sure that I said somewhere about a historian calling Cao Cao "not a hero, but a likeable antihero". He was speaking in Chinese, but the Chinese word for likeable is also the Japanese term for cute: 可爱 Similarly, there is that whole thing about whether or not Nobu actually used skull cups. Clearly, Detective Conan has him portrayed generally positively, given that there is a superhero troop based on him: https://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/File:871.jpg Also, did this site get some new update or something?

I see. I guess we can wait a decade or so then. Thanks for answering my question though.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone have images of the ending tapestries that are actually good quality?

JP Friend Code
    Saw this on twitter. Is there a source for it?

Because if it's true, I want to see Sothicc. F!Byleth in the regalia costume does not count.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    So Sothis is basically Venus Blood Frontier's Odin. Of course, I must add that while smaller Odin is basically like the Sothis we see, "True" Odin, after recovering all her power, memories, and mammaries, is basically SMT's Yahweh. If that's the same case as with Sothis, then I don't think we want that. Of course, that would also further justify El.

JP Friend Code
    She already recovered a lot of her memories by the time she fused with Byleth, and she chose not to take control of Byleth's body. If she was anything malicious, she would've taken the body as hers right away like what Rhea expected instead of doing what she did. Also she basically died trying to revive the planet. SMT YHVH wouldn't do that. In FEH she also hinted that she created many worlds, so the world in 3H is not her first. She's basically an alien in 3H anw.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Oh, in VBF Law route, Odin kinda knows the gist of what she did in the past, but unlike in Chaos route, she just chooses not to embrace it. Well, True Odin's goal in Chaos route is essentially removing all desire from humanity so that that desire will never corrupt, thereby "starving" the demons and created a "faithful" world where only goddesses can thrive.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily Emilio View Post
    Saw this on twitter. Is there a source for it?

Because if it's true, I want to see Sothicc. F!Byleth in the regalia costume does not count.
    here you go
    Sothicc is the Goddess you see in the opening cinematic floating in the sky

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Emilio View Post
    She already recovered a lot of her memories by the time she fused with Byleth

She kinda didnt though. She regained an understanding of what she is, not her memories explicitly

Also on a tangent, i've seen randomized three houses lets play and mc got replaced by Sothis and it made me quite mad we still dont have playable Sothis
    i need more dlc
    Last edited by Aozaki-desu; March 29th, 2020 at 01:15 AM.

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    Oh, in VBF Law route, Odin kinda knows the gist of what she did in the past, but unlike in Chaos route, she just chooses not to embrace it. Well, True Odin's goal in Chaos route is essentially removing all desire from humanity so that that desire will never corrupt, thereby "starving" the demons and created a "faithful" world where only goddesses can thrive.
    And none of that applies to Sothis here even by her actions in FEH without being inside Byleth, where she's already able to chuck a freaking exploding star at the enemy in loli form. There's nothing similar here.

She's more of a guiding figure (fitting Byleth) than anything, even when she is no longer around in visible form. She woke Byleth up in the 5 years timeskip which puts part 2 of all routes in motion, She would even decide to come back to be with Byleth should they end up alone, even when the crest stone is no more. Sothis also briefly spoke to Rhea in SS by the end when Rhea is severely injured after the final battle, helping her daughter realize the bad things she did (revealed in Rhea S rank). Even the vocal part of her own theme has some Japanese lines about protection and guidance. Her magic circle represents the tree of life as well as having symbols of the 3 planets Mercury, Jupiter and Saturn, all combined in astrology to represent life, prosperity and wisdom.

A character like that is not extreme Law or extreme Chaos alignment. She's more Neutral (leaning to Chaos), kinda like Yune in Radiant Dawn but more grandma-like than child-like.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aozaki-desu View Post
    here you go
    Sothicc is the Goddess you see in the opening cinematic floating in the sky
    Thanks. That frame is literally so fast I don't even remember seeing it, and I played the game like 6 times now. I hope they're saving more of the Nabateans lore for a prequel or some future stories.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Oh, I forgot to mention that Odin lost her memories because she used most of her power to create the floating continent of Yggdrasil, so that humans will have a place to live other than the post-apocalyptic surface world after Ragnarok... And yes, the whole "floating islands are good; surface world is bad" thing is similar to that of Granblue Fantasy.

JP Friend Code
    And how is that similar to prime Sothis? Sothis is not even Nordic, she's based on a freaking Egyptian goddess, deification of the star Sirius. Even the ingame calendar made references to the Sothic cycle system of year that was used by the ancient Egyptians and the Ashen Wolves are based on Sirius's Chinese/Japanese name 天狼.

All we knew is that Sothis came to the planet of 3houses in the ancient past (just like how the Egyptians believed life is from Sirius), created the Nabateans, shared technology and knowledge with the Agarthans who lived in the ancient city Thinis (based on the real city Thinis of ancient Egypt that is yet to be found even till today, further implied her Egyptian origin). Then war happened between them (we have no clue who was the good guys at that point, other than the Agarthans keep calling her false god), Agarthans made nukes to fight her and lost. The nuke that fell on valley of torment indicated that she had some sort of repel barrier that deflected it from Zanado and that barrier continued to protect Garreg Mach even after she's long gone. Result of the war is that most humans got killed, Thinis was wiped off the map, probably by a Sirius star drop from her or something. Then she restored the world to its original form and effectively died. She has no memories not because of that, but because she was revived in an incomplete state.

In short, it would be better to find either Egyptian myth inspirations as well as Greece influence (Sothis is syncretized with Demeter) than something loosely based on Norse myth from another game. You want Norse myth you go to FEH.
    Last edited by Lily Emilio; March 29th, 2020 at 11:54 AM.

I guess Sothis is more like Osiris or Ra in that she died, but is resurrected in an incomplete form.

Also, yeah, FEH is so full of Norse references, I'm half-expecting a Jormungandr type character after Book IV is over.

In addition, you guys must have noticed how Aelfric is basically Three Houses Kariya.

Finally, the Nintendo Dream interview mentioned that before Nemesis, Nabateans ruled specific areas as governors, but based on the wording and what we know from the game, I don't know if this is before Sothis and the Agarthans went to war or after she restored the world. If it is true, it brings some measure of truth to El's claims.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    In terms of Aelfric, I was thinking more Trifa from Dies Irae. Wicked saint, who doesn't exude the "obvious" aura that Kotomine does. Also, people from Dagda are called Dagdans. People from Almyra are called Almyrans. People from Fodlan are called... ?

I still think he's more Kariya because manic obsession with woman he couldn't have, soft spot for that woman's child/children, and a desire to "save" her at all costs. The only differences are that Aelfric doesn't have a murderous grudge against Jeralt and isn't trying to white knight her (far as we know). Also, both were doomed to fail in their quests.

I think their called Fodlanese? I don't know, it sounds better than Fodlanders.

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    I guess Sothis is more like Osiris or Ra in that she died, but is resurrected in an incomplete form.
    Osiris would be apt, because Sothis/Sopdet was changed to be identified with Isis later on.
    Finally, the Nintendo Dream interview mentioned that before Nemesis, Nabateans ruled specific areas as governors, but based on the wording and what we know from the game, I don't know if this is before Sothis and the Agarthans went to war or after she restored the world. If it is true, it brings some measure of truth to El's claims.
    I managed to find the page and while the translation were accurate for the most part, the part where it said some Nabateans as governors was slightly mistranslated. It actually said they were worshipped as gods governing different places in Fodlan, which is a parallel to patrol deities of cities and regions in most ancient myth, Egypt included. That also explained why Rhea decided to shift the story of Nemesis into him being the hero who defeated the evil "gods". That way, the humans who thought of him as their savior for killing the corrupted Nabateans (the evil "gods") would buy into the story that he simply went mad with power. And if that is the case, I feel like this happened after Sothis vs Agarthans war. Because if you go by Sothis religion that Rhea promoted, Sothis is the sole deity, thus the existence of multiple Nabateans as other gods doesn't make sense. Seteth said that the religion existed way before the incident of Nemesis, implying there were indeed a lot of people following this religion back then and the Agarthans wrote books to claim her to be false and evil, as seen in the Abyss' library.
    Last edited by Lily Emilio; April 2nd, 2020 at 01:18 AM.

Thanks for the clarification Lily Emilio. That does make more sense. So would it be accurate to say that the religion prior to the Church of Seiros was a polytheistic religion in which Sothis was chief goddess and her children formed a pantheon around her? Would resemble how YHWH went from the chief god of the Semitic pantheon to the One God.

Also, the Romance of the World's Perdition does confuse me to an extent. The book claims that Sothis came from the land of the Old Gods, Thinis, yet it also seems to be the name of an Agarthan center of civilization.

JP Friend Code
    Thanks for the clarification Lily Emilio. That does make more sense. So would it be accurate to say that the religion prior to the Church of Seiros was a polytheistic religion in which Sothis was chief goddess and her children formed a pantheon around her? Would resemble how YHWH went from the chief god of the Semitic pantheon to the One God.
    I believe it is basically implied by Dedue x Mercedes support in BL route. He explained to her about how the Duscur ppl worship different gods and invoke their blessings in different locations. And in their viewpoint, Sothis is part of a pantheon in which she represents war (which references the star Sirius being the symbol of war in some RL faith), thus they pray for her in times of war. So the Duscur people more or less knew about the very old version of the Sothis religion prior to Rhea coming in to retcon it into a monotheistic religion.

Considering there are a lot of references and parallels to Christianity for the Church of Seiros, such as Sothis speaks like God words from the Bible in some of her lines but was discarded in the Eng dub, the holy grail, the whole blood thing, Seiros being a Jesus-like figure, the sword of the creator in JP used the kanji for God and Sothis' weapon in FEH being called "God's Surge" in JP...Yes I believe it is like you said, Sothis went through a similar status shift like YHVH after her death, probably right when Rhea started her vengeance, then solidified the new version of the religion as she changed history and built the church at Garreg Mach.

Also, the Romance of the World's Perdition does confuse me to an extent. The book claims that Sothis came from the land of the Old Gods, Thinis, yet it also seems to be the name of an Agarthan center of civilization.
    I've yet to see the JP quote for that, but just base on the Eng translation alone, I believe that someone (probably the Nabateans who are about to go to war with the Agarthans) awakened Sothis and she joined the dispute.

From what I understood, the frame with prime Sothis in the beginning of the game is her standing in Thinis, and iirc prior to that we saw some explosions or a meteor falling. So it might be that was her memory of arriving in 3house planet from that meteor, and her landing place was Thinis. Then the Agarthans of Thinis had cultural exchange and such with her, coexisted for sometime until she went to sleep, and the Nabateans began to spread and rule all of Fodlan in her absence, thus they are the Old Gods. There might be some nasty dragons among the Nabateans who people wanted gone, so the Agarthans launched the propaganda campaign to raise awareness.

It sounds like the Nabateans asked mommy to help by "resurrecting" her, going by that description. Thus Sothis awakened (probably she was sleeping, kinda like Tiki in prev entries maybe, or if she was indeed evil that would be like Medeus lol) and obviously she is on her children's side. Then she dropped an Old Testament great flood on the world (makes senses considering Sirius is ancient Egyptian's way to detect the flood cycle of the Nile) and wiped the 4 lands they listed. To the Agarthans, she was basically SMT YHVH and the new humans who lived after her world reset are lowly beasts, thus they must destroy the remaining dragons and claim their "salvation".

A prequel focusing on this Agarthans vs Nabateans beef would be great...
    Last edited by Lily Emilio; April 2nd, 2020 at 05:59 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I still think he's more Kariya because manic obsession with woman he couldn't have, soft spot for that woman's child/children, and a desire to "save" her at all costs. The only differences are that Aelfric doesn't have a murderous grudge against Jeralt and isn't trying to white knight her (far as we know). Also, both were doomed to fail in their quests.

I think their called Fodlanese? I don't know, it sounds better than Fodlanders.
    Thing is, unlike Kariya, Aelfric and Trifa can at least maintain the illusion of sanity and, in general, tend to have their shit together better than Kariya (probably because Kariya is running on a really tight schedule). Still, all 3 run on love, but you seem to put more weight on the fact that Kariya's and Aelfric's love focus on an individual, while Trifa's focuses on a group. To me, that's not that important.