Page 296 of 302 FirstFirst ... 196246286291294295296297298301 ... LastLast
Results 5,901 to 5,920 of 6024

Thread: Fire Emblem

Blog Entries
    when I got there on my first run I quite literally didn't have a res tank that could pull them without dying, this time I've got at least 3, so I'll kill them.

I could pull them (yay chain guard), but then only two units had the res + hp to take a hit. Needed at least 3 or 4 to kill one and wall the other from hitting the rest of the army.

Blog Entries
    you dont have to pull them to kill them though?
    Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    memestrat

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GDB View Post
    It's not a very realistic FE4 map. Only about 15% of the size.
    Well, it's also just a quarter of the actual map, and the two mages are significantly less dangerous than the pair you actually deal with there. One should have +2 move and take single digit damage from everything, and the other should have vantage+adept so she attacks first and if you don't kill her with your attacks she keeps going. Hopefully they're less embarassing on maddening.

Fond memories of killing Ishtar in the endgame after accidentally leaving Tinny in range, dodging the 70% oneshot, and then getting a love crit from Seliph for the counter with her mom's own Thoron tome. Much emergent narrative.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Malgos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Send me a PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
    Well, it's also just a quarter of the actual map, and the two mages are significantly less dangerous than the pair you actually deal with there. One should have +2 move and take single digit damage from everything, and the other should have vantage+adept so she attacks first and if you don't kill her with your attacks she keeps going. Hopefully they're less embarassing on maddening.

Fond memories of killing Ishtar in the endgame after accidentally leaving Tinny in range, dodging the 70% oneshot, and then getting a love crit from Seliph for the counter with her mom's own Thoron tome. Much emergent narrative.
    On Maddening one is threatening to one round on slower units and basically only my Corrina Yunaka and Fogado could take a hit and only Fogado, Yunaka (and Alcryst with Lyn, but he'd get one shot.) did not get doubled from my army.

Other just one shot most units until Yunaka debuffed them and even then some needed the -1 damage from Alear. Given that got 3 and 2 Revive crystals they're decently scary. Certainly got Sigurd beat, since he was a bit of a joke.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    memestrat
    150 gold for 7 levels is anything but a meme strat

- - - Updated - - -

Camilla is in the game, too bad the base game cannot accomodate even a single fucking dlc emblem without completely breaking down

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Complaining about the translation, round who the fuck cares: Why is the translation so damn off-base? It's not even anything to do with censoring at this point, even random supports like Ivy with Alcryst or Yunaka with Panette just deviate entirely from the script- the overall meaning stays the same, but all the subtle inferences that make the characters who they are are not just completely ignored, they are outright replaced. It's not even down to slang or turns of phrase anymore, it literally feels like they're writing completely different characters. Take that last one for example- In Japanese, Panette asks Yunaka very politely (because she's ALWAYS speaking politely, a fact that isn't reflected in her English dialogue at all) why she forces a cheerful facade all the time, and when Yunaka tries to play it off she politely-yet-firmly tells her "I believe it's futile to try to deceive me (-degozaimasu)". Meanwhile in English: "Ah-ah-ah, don't try to bluff a bluffer!"
    It's a completely different character speaking. Who actually thought this was a good idea????

- - - Updated - - -

Literally every support is riddled with small things like this (for example, Yunaka speaks in the first person while retelling her story to Citrinne in JP but third person in English) but some are more egregious than others.
    Last edited by Deathhappens; February 9th, 2023 at 11:30 AM.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

I think that's just kind of what happens when you get a localization editor who doesn't actually understand Japanese. Even if their job *technically* doesn't require them to.

- - - Updated - - -

But I'm kind of getting the sense that even on the JP side, the people involved with this story weren't incredibly concerned with it anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

The other explanation I can think of is that this kind of le funny XD meme language is basically omnipresent in English media nowadays for some reason, and the best I can guess is that editors are specifically instructed to make it sound that way.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Official FE localization has always sucked or been mediocre at best with very few exceptions. Even if the company doing most of them them weren't a bunch of idiots, you can be damn well be sure Nintendo would still tell them to scrub out everything that could possibly offend anyone ever in the English version. There is no way to get the game as it was intended without learning Japanese, and the sanitized versions are all we get.

I'd say fan translations of games that never made it overseas are safe from this kind of meddling, but they're just as bad. The Thracia translation was a shitshow; the guy in charge changed anything he didn't like, and made up a bunch of wacky replacements for previously short and dry lines. It got so bad half the team spun off into another group that promised to try and tone it down. Oh, and the person who translated Tear Ring Saga later admitted he rewrote the main villain's personality because he didn't like the old one, and completely changed an entire scene near the end because he thought the original version made less sense.

It's gonna suck no matter where you go.

Engage is still really fun to play at least. I'm on chapter 20 and the gimmick of this map is super interesting. The game's generally been good about creative levels and scenarios even with its relatively limited objective variety.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aozaki-desu View Post
    150 gold for 7 levels is anything but a meme strat
    I didn't say badstrat

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Malgos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Send me a PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Complaining about the translation, round who the fuck cares: Why is the translation so damn off-base? It's not even anything to do with censoring at this point, even random supports like Ivy with Alcryst or Yunaka with Panette just deviate entirely from the script- the overall meaning stays the same, but all the subtle inferences that make the characters who they are are not just completely ignored, they are outright replaced. It's not even down to slang or turns of phrase anymore, it literally feels like they're writing completely different characters. Take that last one for example- In Japanese, Panette asks Yunaka very politely (because she's ALWAYS speaking politely, a fact that isn't reflected in her English dialogue at all) why she forces a cheerful facade all the time, and when Yunaka tries to play it off she politely-yet-firmly tells her "I believe it's futile to try to deceive me". Meanwhile in English: "Ah-ah-ah, don't try to bluff a bluffer!"
    It's a completely different character speaking. Who actually thought this was a good idea????

- - - Updated - - -

Literally every support is riddled with small things like this (for example, Yunaka speaks in the first person while retelling her story to Citrinne) but some are more egregious than others.
    Brought to you by, potentially, the team that changed entire characters leaving only a vague connection between (Henry) them or adding a new and overpowering personalty trait (Effie). Granted I can't confirm these so it's all hearsay, but I saw these examples enough. Oh they also censored a bikini shoot in #FE and replaced the swimsuit outfits with cringe looking, imo, streetwear so the character was still embarassed about a streetwear photo shoot. They even aged the character up, which I can only guess is cause they weren't sure whether to keep or change it at first.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    As for me, I started with the GBA games and was never a huge fan, just pretty tame interest. The DS generation kind of killed my interest, but I really got back into it with 3H, specifically when maddening dropped. The game is hard enough with enough room for weird strategies that it's pretty fun to try and push the options at your disposal to their limit and the game difficulty is high enough to offer resistance to a degree where it doesn't feel pointless. You can't just do anything you want and it'll always work out like on higher difficulties. That's what I've started to enjoy out of this franchise. Engage has some of it so I'm still digging in.
    Really? The way you talk about it always sounded like you were fiendishly delving into every last detail of all FE games. It was just 3H?
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Elusia icons went up on NSO just now, and I highly suspect I'll never switch off of this Lyn. Unless we get a FE4 remake, then I might swap to Sigurd to rep it, but otherwise just Lyn.

Also, just beat Corrin's paralogue (only having time for one map every day or two after work suuuuuuuuuucks), but man that was easy. Bimbo didn't even swap off of her 2-range weapon even when I had her boxed in and surrounded.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    Really? The way you talk about it always sounded like you were fiendishly delving into every last detail of all FE games. It was just 3H?
    This was my thought as well actually, I always knew Spin as a FE grognard. Maybe I'm misremembering Bloble's FE posts as Spin's though...
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Blog Entries
    For the most part I don't like any boomer pre-GBA FE at all, most of them got as fair of a shake as I gave Fates and I barely like the DS era. I probably played and beat PoR/RD 5+ times each but that's because, unlike all the other FE up to that point, they were good. I fucked with Awakening for a single playthrough and never gave it the time of day again. Valentia got 3 runs. Fates got 3 chapters. Shadow Dragon... I don't even remember if I finished it, I played more than I am happy about since it sucked. After Fates I really considered this franchise dead, I was very doomer during the 3H advertisement period and thought it was going to be another pile of trash for me to make fun of. I ended up loving that one and only that one. I like the character customization and gambits/emblems in these 2 games,

- - - Updated - - -

If you've got memories of me as a FE guy it's probably just the fact that I played them at all, I was not a raving fan. There were just very few FE guys a decade+ ago.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    I'm a big FE guy. Spin and I have opposite opinions on a lot of games; I'm a Kaga stan and prefer the old games, he thinks 3 Houses is the hottest thing since sliced bread. He loves Radiant Dawn and I hypnotized myself into disliking it. And so on.

I know I'm trash for playing on Normal Casual, but once again I wish there was an appropriate difficulty setting between "faceroll" and "slowly bait out two enemies at a time or you're fucked".

Some of the Paralogues were slightly challenging, but that's mostly because between their high levels and me insisting on leveling as many people as possible, the actually overleveled my units by a significant margin.
    shit BL says

It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    ladies, he's single

On reflection, I'm going to go against the grain in saying Engage's gameplay is actually worse than 3H. The disproportionate weight of importance given to the Emblems means characters without them (i.e. the majority of your cast) are relegated to just being weapon-type-carriers, since the Emblems have all the skills worth building around AND the best weapons, while class and personal skills are at an all-time relevancy low. This in turn means enemies' skills almost never matter either (if they even have them- I haven't seen any outside bosses in Normal, and I'm hoping this is a difficulty tweak), meaning enemies are again only differentiated by the weapon they're carrying... and most of them only carry the one bog-standard iron/steel/silver weapon anyway, making them nothing but a stat check. There's no clever outplaying a silver axe berserker, you just sick a swordie at him and have someone follow up on him if he doesn't die (and since he's now broken it could be literally anyone). Back in the day this guy would have Wrath and be all the more dangerous for it, and if he also had a killer axe youd have to be very, very careful to make sure he died in one round.
    Last edited by Deathhappens; February 15th, 2023 at 02:27 AM.
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    I know I'm trash for playing on Normal Casual, but once again I wish there was an appropriate difficulty setting between "faceroll" and "slowly bait out two enemies at a time or you're fucked".
    there is, its called hard classic