Page 290 of 344 FirstFirst ... 190240280285288289290291292295300340 ... LastLast
Results 5,781 to 5,800 of 6879

Thread: The Videogame News Thread

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aozaki-desu View Post
    only because feh is so fucking dogshit
    also tbh i question the future of franchise given three houses was mostly outsorced
    I thought people like it
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    Pretty sure Tales of had two phone games since Berseria came out, and they still have the big shiny Arise coming down the pipe.
    Tales of entries are able to break a milli so theres still incentive to keep making them. Sakura Wars was a big commercially successful multimedia franchise 20 years ago but now after 15 years of hibernation they had a soft reboot with quite lukewarm sales. if the gacha game is successful, i fear that might be the future of the franchise. excuse my aggressive pessimism regarding this medium but so many franchises i love have either gotten canceled because of a gacha game that flopped or stopped making the things i loved in favor of gacha.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I'll agree that one bad gacha, especially with a series that's been dead for years or on consistant life support, can kill a franchise. But I think most developers know that gacha is more of a stepping stone. I remember reading an interview with a GranBlue developer who said that all thier gacha stuff is just so they can make the bank to make the proper videogames they wanted to from the start. And it makes sense. Sure you can get the occasional ultra whale who shells out thousands of dollars for NP5 Scathach, but a lot of people are cheap F2P or spend maybe 10 dollars a year on it. And compared to selling a few million copies of a proper videogame at $60 a pop is more reliable and more rewarding for the team making it.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Valkyrie Anatomia is prime example of dead series that only still there because of gacha

But the game series that rely too much on one gacha or few phone games, usually they are already almost dead even before their gacha game come out.
    So i won't worry too much on game series that can big without it in the first place

- - - Updated - - -

I'll agree that one bad gacha, especially with a series that's been dead for years or on consistant life support, can kill a franchise. But I think most developers know that gacha is more of a stepping stone. I remember reading an interview with a GranBlue developer who said that all thier gacha stuff is just so they can make the bank to make the proper videogames they wanted to from the start. And it makes sense. Sure you can get the occasional ultra whale who shells out thousands of dollars for NP5 Scathach, but a lot of people are cheap F2P or spend maybe 10 dollars a year on it. And compared to selling a few million copies of a proper videogame at $60 a pop is more reliable and more rewarding for the team making it.
    because less money to make it and more money they can get
    Last edited by Wandering Swordwoman; September 4th, 2020 at 04:18 AM.
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering Swordwoman View Post
    I thought people like it
    FEH players have been nothing but complaining about the game the past two years straight, I think anyone still playing it is purely doing it out of sunk cost syndrome nowadays.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Ah yes false "limited" digital games from nintendo. Hhmmm yeess squeeze that money from fans
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

Blog Entries
    Sure you can get the occasional ultra whale who shells out thousands of dollars for NP5 Scathach, but a lot of people are cheap F2P or spend maybe 10 dollars a year on it. And compared to selling a few million copies of a proper videogame at $60 a pop is more reliable and more rewarding for the team making it.
    That is wrong though, there is a reason biggest gaming market is mobile market. No "normal" game can make billion in profits, let alone multiple billions.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    What do MMOs count as, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Aozaki-desu View Post
    That is wrong though, there is a reason biggest gaming market is mobile market. No "normal" game can make billion in profits, let alone multiple billions.
    That only happens sometimes. And even then, it's over the many remains of the ones that failed. Also, the biggest gaming market?
    Last edited by Laserman; September 4th, 2020 at 12:39 PM.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    What do MMOs count as, then?
    PC market. I mean at the end of the day its all microtransaction shit, because thats where the money's at.
    But imo MMO's are kinda dead and buried, because they have been essentially cannibalized by mobile games.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman View Post
    That only happens sometimes. And even then, it's over the many remains of the ones that failed. Also, the biggest gaming market?
    It is. Mobile market share beats pc and console markets combined.
    Do you realise how much 1 billion in revenue compared to games which makes their money "per copy?" An AAA title selling 10 million copies (an absurd number only select few mainstream series can approach) would not even touch that number, while having magnitute higher development costs.

And the kicker is you dont need to be next FGO or Pokemon Go to succeed. Have a crappy mobile title with niche audience who is willing to pay? Your company is probably easily making bank. While its true that mobile games that break billions are outliers, the market is huge and there are absurd number of shitty or stupid games that should not make money at all yet they do. Its casual market. Everyone has a phone.

The thing is that mobile games is too good of a bet. The development cost of mobile games alone in comparison to other video games in comparison to their potential profit is massive.

Let's say that you built your mobile game for $500,000 (I highly doubt it can cost more than 1 million in terms of software development because Shenzhen programmers are basically vegetable prices.)

You make your most expensive currency but the highest "value" package like: $5 for 5 currencybux, $79.99 for 200 currencybux.

You only need ~6300 player who is willing to pay within one month to break even. Furthermore, now you have a game that can potential make you money for at least a decade so long as you add characters and farming "levels" every three months or so.

Now compare it to AAA, AA, or A, or even indie titles. Less AA and A titles are being made relatively because players either focus on AAA or indie titles, suddenly there is a market split on video games of different production values, even though they are on the same platform.

Now look at the cost:

Half-life 2: 40 millions

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain: 80 millions

Dead Space 2: 60 million

L.A. Noire: 50 million

Not including marketing cost.

I know that many AAA titles still profit, but from a business standpoint, you are actively risking multi-millions for one game that may flop. The development cost risk alone is simply too high for one single product.

So:

50 million for 100 mobile games that you only need 1 to make millions in profit or 50 million for 1 game that may not breakeven?

The bet is obvious

"you can still build low cost games"

Absolutely, but the production company will throw the stats of market shares at you, and will lecture you how much marketing in non-mobile game genre cost. Senua's Sacrifice "micro-budget" is still ~9 millions.

"just go indie then"

you have $500k of cash laying around? Why would someone just quit their day job to make the next Undertale? Unless they are absolutely invested in some personal cause.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by weeblord View Post
    Tales of entries are able to break a milli so theres still incentive to keep making them. Sakura Wars was a big commercially successful multimedia franchise 20 years ago but now after 15 years of hibernation they had a soft reboot with quite lukewarm sales. if the gacha game is successful, i fear that might be the future of the franchise. excuse my aggressive pessimism regarding this medium but so many franchises i love have either gotten canceled because of a gacha game that flopped or stopped making the things i loved in favor of gacha.
    Can't blame people for forgetting a franchise a publisher decide to neglect. Probably the reason why people like me have to rant about Tsukihime once in a while to remind myself that it existed once.

US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    SEGA is still running PSO2 as their money maker. But it look like it's not enough
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    So how much does PSO2 make then on average? since it's been around for nearly a decade?

US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Dunno never checked the actual number. But it always been highlighted as one of games that contribute a lot to SEGA's income
    Last edited by Wandering Swordwoman; September 6th, 2020 at 10:33 AM.
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering Swordwoman View Post
    Dunno never checked the actual number. But it always been highlighted as one of games that contribute a lot to SEGA's income
    so this is from 2017:

https://mmos.com/news/phantasy-star-...oneymaker-sega

and an August article on the Western release passing one million players

https://twinfinite.net/2020/08/phant...2-one-million/

so yeah, looks like still a success story

US Friend Code

Hell yeah

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    Dont like musou but gonna buy anyway.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'd read fan-speculations from a while back that a Hyrule Warriors sequel might be set in the backstory to Breath Of The Wild, since it gives the chance of more screentime for the Champions (otherwise they got fully-realized personality and abilities for characters who basically only show up in flashbacks). Interesting that if it stays true to canon this might be one of the few Zelda games with outright dark/tragic endings, since we know Link "dies" and Zelda has to sacrifice herself sealing away Calamity Ganon for the next hundred years. Would be cool if the final battle is playing as Zelda and fighting Calamity Ganon to seal him away.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I don't know how I feel about it. On one hand it was a great game, and a sequel on superior hardware is even better. On the other, some of the best parts of the game is the giant roster, and if it follows the BotW plot, there's no reason for Midna to show up.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.