Page 636 of 652 FirstFirst ... 136536586626631634635636637638641646 ... LastLast
Results 12,701 to 12,720 of 13031

Thread: Fate/strange fake (Free-Range Spoilers)

祖 Ancestor
    What I don't get is how any of this happened the way it did. Like, someone had to set the stack of dominos up for Ishtar to get smoked in that exact fashion. Did Enkidu or TA plan it, and how would they even have known they could succeed without the other (and Rin)?

JP Friend Code
    Enkidu had no plan beyond "Ereshkigal is more qualified to solve this than any of us". Presence Detection let them know that Ishtar's influence sent Gil to Ereshkigal, so they used the harpoon to bring Ereshkigal to Ishtar and let her do her thing, no specifics on what.

Faldeus explicitly had no plan. He officially quit the war in volume 7 and sent Hassan as a throwaway. And Hassan's Zabaniya just operated on "keep going until it works" the whole chapter.

Werner & Friends had a plan to sneak into the temple and destroy its sacred treasure, but that wasn't possible and from there it was all improvisation and cooperation with Sigma's plan.

And Sigma had full Watcher intel and made the one plan that went exactly as envisioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    Some pantheons are depicted as Tamamo, while others are only potentially Tamamo.

Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    Faldeus explicitly had no plan. He officially quit the war in volume 7 and sent Hassan as a throwaway. And Hassan's Zabaniya just operated on "keep going until it works" the whole chapter.
    Wait. So the one time Faldeus managed to get a legit W, was the time where he just straight up didn't have a plan and things just worked out perfectly?

Sasuga, Faildeus.

祖 Ancestor
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    Enkidu had no plan beyond "Ereshkigal is more qualified to solve this than any of us". Presence Detection let them know that Ishtar's influence sent Gil to Ereshkigal, so they used the harpoon to bring Ereshkigal to Ishtar and let her do her thing, no specifics on what.

Werner & Friends had a plan to sneak into the temple and destroy its sacred treasure, but that wasn't possible and from there it was all improvisation and cooperation with Sigma's plan.

And Sigma had full Watcher intel and made the one plan that went exactly as envisioned.
    Faldeus is the gift that keeps on giving

Thanks for the translation Comun!

No new volume in february. Making this, hopefully, the first time the wait between volumes is more than roughly twelve months and not two years or more again. I really hope the volume is just a bit later and we don't have another two year interval between volumes.

Wait. So Rin is a Pseudo Servant of Ereshkigal now...?!

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    I imagine it will end once Ishtar dies, since there will be nothing to mirror off of

Always has been

There's something really funny about Sigma, being destined to become Lancer, using a bow to slay Ishtar.

An arrow technically counts as a spear if you thrust it with your hand.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The Lance in question is actually just his cock, for all of the big-dick moves he keeps making.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Seems legit

屍鬼 Ghoul
    Dam, that went hard, I bet Dumas had a hand in upgrading the bow into a legendary rarity, ssr, 5star bow, and thank you for translating.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wasn't it Huangdi's bow? In which case it wouldn't need any upgrades whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly

JP Friend Code
    Not an interlude: A toast to the azure sky’s image reflected on a puddle
    Police station, rooftop

Sigma’s heart was surprisingly quiet after he was done firing his greatbow.
    Everything would be over if he missed his shot but for some reason, he was sure he wouldn’t.

It wasn’t a matter of trusting his skills.
    It was because he knew that this greatbow existed for the sole purpose of shooting down a god: Ishtar.

"Honestly… I didn’t think it’d be this effective.", calmly whispered Sigma.
    "A god-felling bow, huh? I personally got some mixed feelings about it, but fair. It’s far from the first time someone made one of those cheat trinkets that reverses causality so that the hit never misses.", said the burly hunter sillhouette sitting next to him.

After seeing the hunter talk with a serious expression instead of his usual grin, Sigma quietly recapped the events in his head.
    The story of how his arrow was created moments ago.

X       X

Less than an hour ago, in the police station

"I know a few things ‘bout you, kid. Making some high-risk plays today, ain’t we?"

Dumas appeared before Sigma with no signs of caution.
    Sigma believed his allegation.
    Dumas should be well aware that Sigma’s Servant has no offensive abilities and that he’s not an enemy of the police.

"Oh, I can feel some crazy stuff inside this thing, but I’m still barely able to tinker with it. Well, if you got something on a level where there was no room for me to improve it, you wouldn’t be needing my help to make your arrow work on the goddess.", said that legendary writer as he watched the greatbow that Sigma gave him.

It was the greatbow that Kuruoka Tsubaki’s parents brought to use as a catalyst to summon a Heroic Spirit.

"That said, I gotta admit shooting a god dead is a tad beyond my weight class. We’re gonna need advice from an expert.", Dumas shrugged.
    "I know we’re asking for too much. I’m willing to raise your magical energy level with a Command Spell if necessary.", said the police chief.

"No one was expecting you not to. You’re gonna have to use one, but we’re in need of some additional help beyond that, got it? We’re trying to boost this Noble Phantasm beyond my capabilities here."

"You know I’m not knowledgeable enough on how to handle artifacts."

"Yeah, I didn’t mean you, brother. I already called a professional for this job."

Upon saying that, Dumas took a cell phone out of his pocket.
    An eye-catching blue phone from a model the chief had never seen before.

"Hm? What’s this?"

"A secret weapon, brother. Well, I only got mine pretty recently."

The nonchalant Dumas placed the phone next to the greatbow and talked to it.

"So, could you hear everything, teacher?"

A voice on the phone responded.

--Loud and clear. This thing’s audio quality is comparable to the latest Peligor model.--

"Wait, Caster. Why does this phone have reception?"

The lines were already cut, meaning this phone was getting signal through magical means—but the blue phone was so advanced in its magical energy concealment that the chief saw it as nothing more than an ordinary blue phone.

"He’s a special model."

Next, Caster asked a question to the phone.

"So, how is it like on your end, teacher? Any interesting ideas?"

--I can’t imagine my ideas impressing one of the masters of literature… but now is hardly the time for hesitation.--

"Don’t tell me this voice is… Lord El-Melloi?!"

--As I already told you before, I’d appreciate it if you appended an II to my name.--

The Clock Tower Lord that Orlando had spoken to a few days before when forming his alliance with Flat.

(Did that conversation bind our fates together, enabling this reconnection?)

The chief had many questions for Caster but figured that it would be inappropriate to interrupt the conversation for that, so instead, he spoke to the phone.

"Pardon, El-Melloi II. I’d also like to request your assistance."

And so, Dumas rushed to work under El-Melloi II’s orientation.

--The first question that must be asked is whether or not the Kuruoka couple’s greatbow is the real piece owned by Qin Shi Huang. This is very important but… combining Caster’s analysis with Sigma’s information, I believe it’s safe to assume it’s real.--

Dumas sat on his office desk and raced his pen through several sheets of paper as he listened to El-Melloi II’s voice.
    An old-fashioned cauldron was set next to his desk, filling the air with a weird aroma.
    Caster put the greatbow in the cauldron manifested by his Noble Phantasm and began regularly dumping the pages of his manuscript inside as he penned them. A most surreal scene.
    Sigma knew he normally reassembled things with a touch, but he explained that larger projects required a more involved procedure.

--Assuming the Divine Spirit in question is Ishtar from Sumer or has a facet classifiable as Ishtar, the domain she governs is the sky. Furthermore, this city contains remnants of the Reality Marble-like world that my student fell into the other day… that is to say, elements of the underworld. Assuming this remains true, it’s highly likely that aspects of Ereshkigal and the Sumer underworld will also manifest. However, that’s only my wishful thinking and not an observation we should rely on for this project.--

"Then what’s the actual plan, teacher?"

With a surly face, the magecraft lecturer gave his final answer to the hit author repeatedly calling him "teacher" over the phone.

--Correspondence.–

"Correspondence?"

--This greatbow of yours was fired to kill Dajiaoyu, the sea god who impeded Xu Fu’s voyage when Qin Shi Huang commanded him to search for immortality—In other words, an avatar of the ocean. Likely, this "lady in red" that Mr. Sigma spoke of is a remnant of the sea god set to manifest if taken to the underworld.--

Following that, El-Melloi II switched to a softer pace—as he got to the topic of the trick to kill a god.

--The ocean is blue because it reflects the color of the sky. Rearranging things from this point, it should be possible to produce a fake act of godfelling.--

The chief and Sigma reacted with shock at the Lord establishing this base premise as "possible", while Dumas just joyously raced his pen through the paper.

--That is only if your Heroic Spirit is telling the truth about his ridiculous ability to overwrite Noble Phantasms… but I don’t doubt it. This is tame compared to the ridiculousness of a god’s emanation summoning the Bull of Heaven.--
    "Whatever you say, man."

Dumas said that to introduce a pause in the conversation so he could progress on his writing, but El-Melloi II asked him to stop.

--Hold on. Your overwriting won’t help when Chinese and Sumerian folklore have nothing in common. You’ll need a translator to fit this round peg into the square hole. Werner is there with you, right? Invent a ritual to reincarnate the greatbow employing his butterfly magecraft… A good starting point to work with Sumerian content would be utilizing a spell formula derived from the transformation of the symbols and myths of Sagittarius; in this case, Pabilsag and Chiron, in addition to the horseback folks considered to be the origin of the centaurs... Oh, the tale of Hou Yi shooting down the suns is also very exploitable.--

Sigma was overwhelmed by this spilling torrent of knowledge and understood he would never surpass a Clock Tower mage in terms of information quantity.
    El-Melloi II alternated raw knowledge and personal complaints, but his words never stopped, constantly providing the finest pen of Paris with the largest amount of research he could within their time limit.

--Venus has been loved through all of human history as the shining Morning Star, the starlight closest to humanity. Other depictions of the Morning Star are Lucifer, regarded as a devil, and the goddess in question, later also regarded as a devil. And that’s why we can build a minimally functioning line of logic if we interpret this as using Qin Shi Huang’s majesty to dispel evil spirits. Oh, damn, it was him who forced this intermingling of Eastern and Western myths. Things should fall into place neatly if we use a format from the Hellenistic period. If you tell all of this to Werner or Svin, they’ll figure out the rest… Flat would have done this on pure guesswork… He doesn’t understand this attitude is why he can’t graduate…--

El-Melloi II’s lecture continued on many other topics and Dumas kept writing his narrative based on that information.
    Sigma was also astounded by the way Dumas immediately began rewriting the tales from the information he gained, but what he was the most wary about was Lord El-Melloi II’s stammering speech.
    He heard the rumors about him.
    That if his talented students were comparable to an ocean, his magical energy capacity was a puddle at best.
    Yet in other rumors, he was feared by the name of Plundering Duke.
    Sigma learned firsthand why.
    Because at this moment, the puddle reflected the image of the blue sky and tried to form the memorable image of the sky on a sea’s horizon.
    This El-Melloi II person talked like he had a bird’s-eye view of the whole situation, but the man wasn’t in North America, let alone in Snowfield.
    Nonetheless, he confronted the arcane like he was face-to-face with it… Seeing a proper mage coldly discuss godslaying was alarming, in fact.

"...Why are you doing so much for us? What does the Clock Tower stand to gain from it?"

He couldn’t help himself and asked the question. El-Melloi II’s answer:

--Arcane concealment. Saving the world from a threat. Mages are not heroes, but I do believe these are circumstances where anyone would have taken action… Although I admit my case is not any noble sacrifice like that.--

"Then why?"

--If there were only graduated students in this city, I’d have to say they made their choice to walk toward their deaths. I have no right to stop them, therefore no reason to help. After all, I only gave them their diplomas because I judged them capable of taking responsibility for their choices.--

Sigma could tell from his voice that he was having a headache or an ulcer, but even so, El-Melloi II answered him with complete sincerity.

--But this case involves many students still taking classes… Students whose choices I’m still responsible for guiding. No teacher worth their salt could turn a blind eye to that.--

"...That’s your whole reason?"

This situation had a chance of damaging his status at the Clock Tower.

El-Melloi II’s answer to Sigma’s question was delivered with a tone of honest exhaustion.

Yet without a shred of torpor or hesitation.

--There’s nothing more important than that. No matter how much they’re problem students, I chose of my own volition to accept them into my class.--

El-Melloi II’s final answer happened roughly at the same time as Dumas finished overwriting the greatbow with help from Werner Ceasarmund’s remote use of Papilio Magia on the other telephone line.

"There’s a word for sleuths that solve cases with just the information given to them, without stepping into the crime scene. They’re called armchair detectives."

Dumas picked up the causality-reversing greatbow elevated into a Noble Phantasm with the concept of shooting down the Mistress of Heaven and expressed his sincere praise for the person on the phone.

"You’re one hell of a guy, teacher. You’re killing a god without stepping into the crime scene."

X       X

Top floor of the temple

"Ishtar! My goddess, oh no, no…!"

The floating Ishtar Temple shook immensely and began slowly descending to the ground.
    By the time Fillia’s body fell onto the upper floor of the temple, it had already lost most of its divinity, and she had lost the effect of the Charm controlling the temple and the earth.
    Rider had sensed the danger and already evacuated her Masters by this point, leaving only a tearful Haruri on the top floor of the temple, carrying the collapsed Fillia in her arms.

"This cannot be. Ishtar! Ah, agh, if only… If only I was more…"

"Don’t be so conceited…"

With a courageous smile, the remains of goddess Ishtar in Fillia’s body wiped the tears from her believer’s face with the fingers on her right hand.

"You’re just a human. No matter what you try, you can’t make a difference on whether a god lives or dies."

"Ishtar, my goddess…"

"What a silly girl… Always fearful, following me against your will…"

She’s only been with the mage girl for a few days, and blessing her with head priestess status was a whim.
    The girl wasn’t outstanding as either a person or a mage, but that’s what allowed Ishtar to be more genuine in the way she set out to interact with a living human of the present.

"Listen to the goddess’ final decree.", said Ishtar caressing Haruri’s cheek. "Take good care… of Huwawa."

She spoke Berserker’s True Name with a voice full of mercy.

"She may not look like it… but she’s a really lonely girl."

Before she finished her sentence, Ishtar used the last of her magical energy to switch Maanna on.
    And so the Boat of Heaven shoved Haruri’s body inside itself and ran on its last gas to fly only the girl away from the temple.

"Ishtar…! Don’t do this to me, I don’t… I still haven’t done anything for your…"

"C’mon, girl, you know you don’t have the wealth to repay me in any meaningful way."

The words were an attempt to disconnect her emotionally, but the goddess had a tranquilizing smile and a final message that may or may not have been a joke while she watched her ark leave with her priestess.

"Live a long life and get rich… And when you do, offer lots of lapis lazuli to my temple, understood?"

Silence followed.

The distant thunders and wind in the west could still be heard, but as she was losing her five senses, they felt like events happening in another world.
    It could be a sign that most of her was already caged in the underworld.

"That wasn’t like you…"

The silence was broken by her green-haired archnemesis.

"I don’t remember you ever caring about a human like that."

A couple hundred options of insults crossed her mind, but instead…

"That’s the girl I personally chose as my head priestess, you know?"

…the goddess chose a calm counter-argument.

"I’m a guardian of mankind. I’d have no problem with ruining her on a whim… but letting my girl die because of my blunders is unacceptable."

"..."

Upon hearing the fading vestiges of the goddess, Enkidu averted their eyes and commented.

"You’re still as arrogant and unreasonable as ever."

"I can’t deny… Denying it would be throwing away my whole identity."

Ishtar’s soul envisioned Huwawa still fighting in front of the temple and the priestess worshipping her in this distant era.

"It would be an insult to the little people adoring the sky in Uruk… No, scratch that."

After catching a glimpse of Haruri flying away, the goddess declared with an insolent smile — the smile’s arrogance was the secret ingredient for its ultimate beauty.

"An insult to the little people adoring the sky in every era, and most of all, an insult to myself."

"..."

"The one who ultimately shot me down… was human.", said Ishtar, recalling the young mercenary who dealt the fatal blow to her. "It wasn’t you and it wasn’t Ereshkigal. I was felled by human hands rejecting my new divine era."

"Why do you sound so happy saying that?"

"It’s not about just me… Humanity doesn’t need you or Gilgamesh anymore… They proved they reached the age where they can walk on their own feet… It’s frustrating, sure… but it’s far more gratifying."

The smile never left the goddess’ face as she vanished into the underworld.

"Not that a… piece of junk like you… would understand it…"

She had her most splendid, noble, and beautiful smile yet—
    One capable of even shaking the mercenary’s heart.

The temple reached the floor and the rocks keeping it in place fell apart.
    With no traces of the temple’s previous shape left, this scenery became a symbol of the land losing a goddess.

X       X

Police station, rooftop

Recalling his conversation with El-Melloi II, Sigma stood up at the police station rooftop and looked at the western sky.

"None of El-Melloi II’s words felt like a lie. Clock Tower Lords really are as amazing as the rumors say."

"Hm… I don’t think any of that had to do with being a Lord. If you were talking about teachers, then I could agree. He’s not as rigid an educator as Chiron, but I did find them similar."

After saying something related to his past, the boy with the caduceus also looked at the western sky.

"Well, seems like the goddess fell and began her journey through the underworld… The real trial starts now."

Sigma glanced west, following the boy’s line of sight.

"The one who directly inflicted death on her was Assassin… Oh, I mean Hassan-i-Sabbah, not the girl. But you also played a major role by shooting the goddess, finally performing in the center stage of the Holy Grail War. Do you understand the significance of this?"

(Francesca and Faldeus must have already observed what happened. I can no longer make excuses.)

Furthermore, the silhouettes had already informed him that Bazdilot’s group was about to unleash a ravaging war on the city.
    Imagining how the chief will react to the informant infiltrated in the police, Sigma could feel his problems piling up.
    Sigma raised his head, quietly but with resolute determination.

"Yeah…"

(Is Assassin… still doing well? She must be still seeing her faith through. Then I should do the same…)

Watching the giant spirals of thunderbolt still present in the western sky, Sigma whistled and spoke half-jokingly.

"I have a few more days without proper sleep ahead of me."
    Last edited by Comun; December 15th, 2023 at 10:10 PM.
    Some pantheons are depicted as Tamamo, while others are only potentially Tamamo.

With this is the 8th volume fully translated now?

JP Friend Code
    No, there's still the Bridge Chapter and the Afterword left.

Oh I see. From looking at the table of contents on the pdf i thought this was that final chapter serving as the bridge, sorry lol.
    Well regardless, thanks for the translation! Cant wait to (once again) be caught up with peak fate

Man, was this legit the first proper mention of Hou Yi in Fate? I'd love to one day see that Boi pull up with his Anti-Sun Noble Phantasm.