Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Distant Utopia (Saber x Iri, one-shot) (iPod Shuffle Challenge)

Blog Entries

Distant Utopia (Saber x Iri, one-shot) (iPod Shuffle Challenge)

Polly requested some Saber/Iri awhile back, so here you go: some Saber/Iri set to the tune of ten songs. Hope you enjoy, Polly!

When Can I See You Again? – Owl City

The magic that had kept her tethered to this world for the duration of the War was fading. Saber felt it as surely as she knew the sun was beginning to set; she wouldn’t last much longer, with the War over and the Grail destroyed.

The thought of what she was leaving behind made her heart ache. The town of Fuyuki was in ruins from that last, flame-riddled battle. Kiritsugu lay dead, preferring to turn the gun on himself than to kill the woman he’d loved. And Iri…

Iri lived, of course. How much of a life it would be, of course, was up to debate.

“Are you leaving?” The voice of her princess was soft, almost a whisper. Iri had nestled into her side as the sun continued to set, seeming to draw some comfort from Saber’s fading presence.

“I am.” Her voice was just as soft, as if afraid she’d break the spell. “I’m afraid I cannot stay, Irisviel.”

Iri smiled. Despite the situation, it wasn’t a sad smile. She touched Saber’s cheek, gently.

“Then I’ll see you again in ten years, my Saber.”

Saber blinked, confused. “Ten years? What—“

But it was too late. As the sun dipped over the horizon, the Servant named Saber vanished.

And Iri began to wait.

02. Iris – Goo Goo Dolls

She was fragile, her Saber.

Oh, she thought she hid it well. For the most part she did; anyone who didn’t know Saber as well as she did would assume the girl was every bit as cold and composed as she wanted to pretend she was. That she was strong, unyielding, and had no cracks in her façade.

Iri knew better, of course.

Saber was fragile. It was well hidden, but she knew how to look for it. For the occasional blush and stutter when she was teased, for the way she muttered and complained when Kiritsugu did something that annoyed her, the way her eyes softened whenever she watched Shirou and Ilya play, whenever she fussed over Maiya.

The cracks showed, then. Iri knew Saber well enough to look for them.

But Saber was most fragile during the night, when Iri came to her and drew her into her arms and held her; Saber curled into her, Saber nuzzled, and Saber held on like sometimes her mistress was the only thing that could hold her together.

Saber was fragile, and it was Iri’s little secret.

03. Dearest (instrumental) – Kaoru Wada

Saber had never considered herself very big on cuddling, before.

Probably because to be honest, she’d never cuddled in the past. She had been friends with Guinevere, but the queen had often spent her nights with Lancelot; Saber had often slept alone in their bed, and when they did sleep together it was a respectful distance. She had always enjoyed her personal space while sleeping.

But then she had started sleeping with Iri, and discovered the other woman liked to cuddle.

It should have bothered her, but honestly, she liked it. Iri snuggled into her like she was the most precious thing in the world, and that feeling was better than anything Saber had ever experienced.

04. Ten Years After – Chihiro Yonekura

“He’s taller than me.”

Saber sounded almost scandalized as she announced this fact upon entering the kitchen. Iri paused in her reading, looking blankly at her lover for a moment. “Yes, well, I’d assume he is,” she said. “Shirou’s seventeen now, Saber.”

“He’s as tall as Kiritsugu.” He’d probably be even taller, Saber thought. Her boy still had the awkward build of someone not yet full grown. The thought made her wince.

“And Ilya looks almost exactly like me now, because she’s eighteen. They’re growing up, love.”

Saber muttered, sitting in a chair and sighing. “I don’t like it. I used to be able to pick him up, Irisviel.”

“And now he can pick you up?”

Saber sputtered, her face turning bright red, and Iri hid her grin behind the pages of her book.

05. I’d Come For You – Nickelback

She was called the King of Knights, so of course, she was expected to save everyone who had ever been in trouble.

That was the burden that had been placed upon Saber from the moment she had drawn the sword from the stone; the moment the girl named Altria had died, and the man named Arthur had been born. She was a king, and a king was expected to save everyone. Failing that, she was expected to save as many people as she could.

She hadn’t always succeeded at this, but she had never stopped trying.

Then one day a white fairy had come to her, when she was lost in the darkness she had run head-on into. The fairy had glowed with a gentle light and had taken her hand, and had walked with her until they had both emerged from the dark.

They had never looked back.

It always amazed Iri, looking back on that fact. Saber may have been a king, but no one had ever seemed to consider that she’d needed to be saved just like everyone else.

06. Catch My Breath – Kelly Clarkson

There was a moment of silence as Iri practically blew out of the house, grabbing Ilya along the way for a “mother-daughter day out”. Saber sat silently at the table for the moment, trying to process what exactly had just happened. She wondered what it said when she couldn’t even pinpoint at what point in the lunch conversation Iri had decided the best solution was to go out shopping with her daughter.

“Saber.” Across the table, Kiritsugu sipped from his cup of coffee. “I’ll give you some advice. You shouldn’t try to figure out how Iri thinks.”

Despite their occasionally tense relationship, Saber gave her former Master an amused look as Shirou hopped up to help Maiya with the dishes. “You tried that once?”

“I tried.” He paused. “It didn’t end well.”

“… Are you giving me advice, or warning me?”

He sipped from his cup again, deeply. “Both.”

07. You Might Think – Weezer

Iri often got the oddest questions when it came to her husband and her lover.

Oh, she knew their situation was strange. Very few people were married and had another lover that the spouse knew about; even fewer had accepted the lover’s presence. The fact that she had managed to pull this off often made people stare when it inevitably came up in conversation or through guessing.

The most common question, of course, was which did she prefer? The man or the woman? Her husband, or her mistress? Kiritsugu or Saber?

To Iri, it was an odd question. She loved them both, after all. She didn’t prefer one over the other, and she never had.

And Saber was her girlfriend, not her mistress.

08. Wherever You Will Go – The Calling

The phone rang a little after dinner. Saber picked it up before it even got to its second ring. “Hello?”

“Saber!”

The delighted note in Iri’s voice made Saber smile. “Irisviel.” She glanced at the clock. “On time as always.”

“Of course I am! What’s been going on while Kiritsugu and I are away? Are the children behaving? Has Maiya been helping?”

She was talking a mile a minute, and amused Saber waited for the other woman to calm down before she tried to speak. “It’s been quiet, the children are behaving, and Maiya’s been a huge help,” Saber said the moment Iri quieted down.

“Oh, good, good. We should be home soon, so don’t worry about that.”

She always said they’d be home soon. Saber had learned not to take it at face value, especially when they were dealing with the Einzbern family. “I know. I’ll see you when you come home, Irisviel.”

“I miss you,” Iri said after a moment, without missing a beat.

“… I miss you too. Come home soon, okay?”

“Aw, Saber, you sound so lonely! Do you really miss me that much? I call every night!”

“I-Irisviel!”

09. Smile – Uncle Kracker

Iri was ridiculously easy to please, really.

She didn’t require flowers or chocolate, or something expensive and shiny. Oh sure, she liked those things on occasion, but it wasn’t something she needed on a daily basis. What Iri loved more than anything else was smiling, was being happy, and she was at her happiest when someone she loved had gotten her there.

So Saber tried her best to always make Iri happy. That part wasn’t always easy, because Saber had never done this before and had never thought she would, but she tried anyway. Even the fact that she tried at all, and tried so hard, was enough to make Iri smile.

And whenever Iri smiled, Saber always thought the world was a little bit more beautiful.

10. You’re Not Alone – Nick Lachey

Iri hadn’t slept well that night.

Every time she closed her eyes she could only remember darkness, pain, fear; every attempt to try and drift to sleep had been haunted by nightmares, until she’d jolted awake at last and couldn’t close her eyes again.

Kiritsugu wasn’t in the bedroom; Ilya had been having a string of nightmares brought about by fever recently, and so he was with her for the night, tending to her; she didn’t want to bother him. Shaking just a little, Iri crawled out of bed and wrapped herself up in a blanket, heading for Saber’s room.

The former Servant twitched sleepily as her door opened, groaning and shifting. “Irisviel?” she murmured, rubbing her eyes. “It’s late…”

“I couldn’t sleep.” Her words were clipped, almost emotionless, but her eyes were afraid. “Nightmares.”

Saber went quiet, then gently pulled her blanket back and patted the spot next to her. Iri wasted no time settling in, latching onto Saber almost to the point of pain. The blonde hissed softly, but she still pulled Iri in and nuzzled into her. “Will this help?” she murmured.

Iri closed her eyes. “You’re here. That already helps.”
    Last edited by RadiantBeam; June 17th, 2013 at 03:36 PM.

Permit me to offer an insightful and perceptive commentary:

D'AWWWWWW!!!
    Quotes & Stuff...No, no stuff, just quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Oh, man, you ruined it, I was typing up a big thing about how "three reams" equals 3000 sheets of paper, and that it connects back to the ancient Japanese legend about how folding a thousand paper cranes will grant you a single wish. It was going to be wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    Not really, more like he knows that realistically he can't save everyone but he's going to strive to do so no matter what regardless, because Fuck The Ideal Police.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's not procrastination, it's pressure-assisted output management.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    I'm a neckbeard, son. If I ever multiply it'd be through cell division.

Blog Entries
    Also forgot to mention in the first post, but title suggested by Aiden, who saved me from using something much more cliche.

Blog Entries
    Barely.

My initial suggestions were pretty awful.

The piece deserved a good one though.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Lycodrake View Post
    Aiden's mind is a scary place, but this part is nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiantbeam View Post
    I dunno, I quite like Aiden's mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok
    .....Damn yo-

NO. NO I WILL NOT SAY IT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmyn of Ragnarok
    Damn you

My Work:
    Heroes of Justice

Semi-Random Pieces and Drabbles

Diaries of a Youthful Maiden

??? - new project, coming soon (by Valve time)

Blog Entries
    Original concept and a nice read.

Would like more.

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It was odd, hearing the pieces I recognised in my head as I listened to this . . .

Very sweet, for the most part - I'm particularly fond of the sixth installment, even if the recommended song isn't one of my favourites (although the second one certainly is). Thank you for your time and effort.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    "Altria".

Why Beam, why spoil a great gift with something you know I hate?
    Sigh...

Other than that, and one little inconsistency ( the fact that Kiritsugu dies in the first part and is apparently alive later ), it was an enjoyable read. Fluffy and warm. Granted, I would have liked it better had it been a cohesive, singular one-shot rather than a collection of snippets, but this approach has its merits too, and you handled the concept extremely well.
    Though, a bit more of concrete romance wouldn't have hurt.

I'm way too tired to give a more comprehensive review than this at this time, but just know that I'm very thankful to you for taking the time to grant a wish to a silly girl. I had fun reading this and I'm looking forward to reading more of your work, whatever it might be. Again, thanks.
    Last edited by Polly; June 17th, 2013 at 06:05 PM.
    My attempts at being a (fanfic) writer:

Eclipse - a Saber Alter oneshot
    Requiem for a Race - Altrouge and Ortenrosse hunt the TAs ( 1/3 chapters, discontinued )
    Memories of a King - a 'Saber Origins' story ( 8/? chapters, discontiuned )
    A Small Warmth - a post UBW-Good oneshot, Saber/Rin
    Devil's Thrill - Narbareck hunts down a DAA Blackmore ( 10/10 chapters, finished )
    Boundary of Loneliness - Ryougi Shiki/Alphard Al-Shua oneshot. Lemon-flavoured

Blog Entries
    I think the inconsistency is there because the individual pieces aren't in a continuity together.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Aiden's mind is a scary place, but this part is nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiantbeam View Post
    I dunno, I quite like Aiden's mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok
    .....Damn yo-

NO. NO I WILL NOT SAY IT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmyn of Ragnarok
    Damn you

My Work:
    Heroes of Justice

Semi-Random Pieces and Drabbles

Diaries of a Youthful Maiden

??? - new project, coming soon (by Valve time)

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I suspected so.
    My attempts at being a (fanfic) writer:

Eclipse - a Saber Alter oneshot
    Requiem for a Race - Altrouge and Ortenrosse hunt the TAs ( 1/3 chapters, discontinued )
    Memories of a King - a 'Saber Origins' story ( 8/? chapters, discontiuned )
    A Small Warmth - a post UBW-Good oneshot, Saber/Rin
    Devil's Thrill - Narbareck hunts down a DAA Blackmore ( 10/10 chapters, finished )
    Boundary of Loneliness - Ryougi Shiki/Alphard Al-Shua oneshot. Lemon-flavoured

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
    I think the inconsistency is there because the individual pieces aren't in a continuity together.
    Or Irisviel found Excalibolg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Or Irisviel found Excalibolg.
    Wouldn't put it past her.

Liked this. Could've been longer. Like, Anathema length. Would read.

No pressure.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    "Altria".

Why Beam, why spoil a great gift with something you know I hate?
    Sigh...
    Sorry, personal preference on my part. I actually like Altria, myself.

( the fact that Kiritsugu dies in the first part and is apparently alive later )
    Yeah, I should have probably mentioned that with the exception of 1, all of these take place in roughly the same 'verse. I thought it was obvious, but my bad all the same.

Maybe next time I'll write you some pure one-shot Saber/Iri romance. Something to remember when I need ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Wouldn't put it past her.

Liked this. Could've been longer. Like, Anathema length. Would read.

No pressure.
    You aren't subtle.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    >Nickleback

You are (Musically) dead to me Beam.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch-Magos Winter View Post
    >Nickleback

Their old stuff is still good.

Spoilered for your convenience

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    Or he just knows that Sakura's vagina isn't the scary place everyone else thinks it is.
    A good box is like a good woman: thick, sturdy, and easy to get into.
    Breasts aren't made of concrete. They do change shape- gravity, orientation, momentum.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    I am thy lord thy canon pairing. Thou shalt not have any other pairings before me.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblueknighto View Post
    Horrible people don't like bacon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyte View Post
    Holy shit man you're magical.
    Words don't have genders you illiterate fucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    I am 100% uncultured swine.
    We now live in a world where a Final Fantasy VII remake will exist before the Tsukihime remake.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch-Magos Winter View Post
    >Nickleback

What can I say? I like Nickelback, I'm not ashamed of it.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
    You aren't subtle.
    Subtlety overrated. Unnecessary. Takes effort.

Besides, you want to anyway.

Don't you?
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Blog Entries

Besides, you want to anyway.

Don't you?
    I admit nothing!

Blog Entries
    .... Mordin???

Spoilered for your convenience

Or he just knows that Sakura's vagina isn't the scary place everyone else thinks it is.
    A good box is like a good woman: thick, sturdy, and easy to get into.
    Breasts aren't made of concrete. They do change shape- gravity, orientation, momentum.
    I am thy lord thy canon pairing. Thou shalt not have any other pairings before me.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblueknighto View Post
    Horrible people don't like bacon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyte View Post
    Holy shit man you're magical.
    Words don't have genders you illiterate fucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    I am 100% uncultured swine.
    We now live in a world where a Final Fantasy VII remake will exist before the Tsukihime remake.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Knew someone'd get that.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
    Snip
    ... I do not like this pairing. I never have, and I suspect I never will (though if anyone could make me, it would be you). That said, I can really find nothing I dislike about any of this other than said pairing, and to me, that says, 'good story'.

And the first snippet was just soul wrenching.
    I think it's less that we're elitist assholes and more that that's just plain terrible.
    Jesus fucking christ on a hopped up crutch.

Part of being a writer is to fuck what people think and tell you and just write. Write to prove the naysayers wrong. Throw your giant brass testies on the table and say, "Look at that bitch, I wrote it. Fuck yeah."

Moczo's Amazon E-Publishing

Moczo's Smashwords E-Publishing