Page 1 of 12 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: Tsukihime Character Designs: Original VS Remake

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tsukihime Character Designs: Original VS Remake

As the title suggests, I'm curious as to what people think of the character designs for the supposedly in development Tsukihime remake that've been circulating around lately. Along with all sorts of other new feautures (I'd imagine), the art and characters also all got a remake to match the trends of modern anime. For the most part it seemed the new designs got a fairly good reception, but I've heard some quite vehement criticism in some circles online (such as Dragon's Quill), so I thought I'd make this thread to clear up everybody's opinion on the matter and possibly have some interesting debate too (would've made it a poll except I'm not quite sure how). For anyone concerned these are the new designs:

While these are the originals (sorry I couldn't find a better group-shot, but everybody here should be familiar with them anyway)

With that of the way, feel free to voice your heartfelt opinions, my dearest forumites. Do you think these fakes stand a chance of surpassing the originals?

Blog Entries
    six is objectively more than five.

Answer is obvious.

I'm kind of surprised that the new designs got vehement criticism when they really don't look all that different (though if it's coming from dragon's quill that would probably explain it).

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I was surprised too. Have to say, some of the criticisms I've heard levied against the new designs (especially Arc's) is kinda' bizarre IMO. Like, "The design makes her look too young". Well, she's the romantic interest for a freaking teenager, why the hell shouldn't she look young? (If anything, it's the opposite that would have unfortunate implications) Or, Ciel's new design makes her look "too feminine" even though the only reason she looked more "masculine" to begin with is because the art was worse (no offense to the designers, but the art in Nasu's earlier works was indisputably fairly crappy compared to the later stuff). I'm of the "New designs are fine, why are people complaining" camp, if you can't tell.

Curious as to how/if Spoony's going to respond to this thread, since how he was one of the ones leading the bandwagon against the new designs over on DQ...

Blog Entries
    Ciel... is good
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've heard some quite vehement criticism in some circles online (such as Dragon's Quill)
    This is bait but I took it and looked it up anyway and I'm losing my mind over the guy frothing at the mouth over how remake Arc is totally sexualized now. Like she wasn't sexualized back in the original game where you could rape her.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    New designs are good, I don't get the complaints.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    This is bait but I took it and looked it up anyway and I'm losing my mind over the guy frothing at the mouth over how remake Arc is totally sexualized now. Like she wasn't sexualized back in the original game where you could rape her.
    I knew it, all this fuss is about the miniskirt isn't it?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Only things I don't like about the new designs are Arc wearing a mini-skirt, Arc having an ahoge, and Akiha's long neck meme finally dying.

Edit: Huh, Kohaku's face looks sort of pudgy for some reason. Not that I hate that, just seems bigger than normal.
    Last edited by Trubo; January 13th, 2016 at 08:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Then I will ask that you pay closer attention
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    So if I'm reading this right DP is saying that the feature almost everybody hates that is bad and makes the forum objectively worse will never go away because that would negatively impact another feature that nobody has ever used and most likely never will use just in case someday, someone wants to use it. Is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    It's like if someone told me "make me a milkshake" and i was blind and they gave me the ingredients and I made a milkshake because milkshakes are good, but it turns out that milkshake was a bomb.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One forumghost's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    I'm not a huge fan of the Fact that Arc is now Seiba myself, but the rest of the designs are pretty good.

Uhh, I mean "RAGE!!! How DARE Type-Moon give Akiha a BLACK headband instead of a WHITE headband. Tsukihime RUINED 4EVAR!!!!!"
    Last edited by forumghost; January 13th, 2016 at 08:50 PM.

Blog Entries
    They all look much better in the new remake designs, and Ciel and Arc in particular are massive improvements. They look super great now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    Only things I don't like about the new designs are Arc wearing a mini-skirt, Arc having an ahoge, and Akiha's long neck meme finally dying.
    Every single one of these things are very much good things to me, not bad ones. :-/ Especially the Akiha long neck thing.

"The world is just another word for the things you value around you, right? That's something I've had since I was born. If you tell me to rule such a world, I already rule it."

Blog Entries
    Yeah, in my opinion all the remade designs are unambiguously miles better then the old ones. I mean, I'm not necessarily opposed to trying to analyze media through a "social justice" or feminist framework, but when it comes to the point where you're nitpicking "This character's hair looks slightly different and her skirt is x inches shorter then it was originally! SEXIST!!" and trying to pretend that sort of inanity has anything to do with feminism then it just makes me facepalm mentally. The fact is, the only reason the characters didn't look more or less like this originally is because whoever made the art for Tsukihime hadn't gotten to be that good yet. So saying that the new designs somehow violates Nasu's original "vision" regarding the characters strikes as rather silly.

Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed Spoony hasn't posted here yet to try and argue his case. Would be interested in having a debate of sorts with him here. (In fact, that was the main reason I made this thread in the first place)

Blog Entries
    Actually, criticizing revealing clothing isn't feminist,
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Erotic Leo Fanfic View Post
    Actually, criticizing revealing clothing isn't feminist,
    If your criticism is that it's more sexualized than an outfit designed to be torn off for a Sexy rape scene 1/3rd of the way through the game though,

Blog Entries
    Prudists are unfairly labeled in this internet society today

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One forumghost's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    If your criticism is that it's more sexualized than an outfit designed to be torn off for a Sexy rape scene 1/3rd of the way through the game though,
    That scene wasn't sexy though, it was legitimately horrifying.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of the Fact that Arc is now Seiba myself,
    I never got this complaint. I don't they they look similar at all, other than

A) blonde hair, which is stupid
    B) the face, which can be said of everyone Takeuchi draws, which is then just how the artist draws things jesus why do people keep complaining about this shit
    C) the ahoge, and if that's the complaint that's, like, seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    That scene wasn't sexy though, it was legitimately horrifying.
    I do not think the naked tiddy CGs were meant to invoke horror.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    I never got this complaint. I don't they they look similar at all, other than

A) blonde hair, which is stupid
    B) the face, which can be said of everyone Takeuchi draws, which is then just how the artist draws things jesus why do people keep complaining about this shit
    C) the ahoge, and if that's the complaint that's, like, seriously?
    tbh the only reason the faces in the original Tsukihime look different is just because Takeuchi was bad at angles

Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post

Edit: Huh, Kohaku's face looks sort of pudgy for some reason. Not that I hate that, just seems bigger than normal.
    Dude, of all the things to complain you pick this? Arc has had an ahoge since forever.

The priest was waiting for the arrival of the princess, who was only an enemy of all of them.
    For the priest, the golden princess was the one and only main heroine.
    Everyone else was unworthy of his respect, no matter how strong they were.

Tsukihime 2 Prelude III