Page 1 of 23 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who Thread

Blog Entries

Doctor Who Thread

So, didn't see a Doctor Who thread despite it being, y'know, Doctor Who. With the 50th Anniversary coming up in an hour or so, seems like a good time to create one.

When the clock strikes midnight... Means it's a new day Jeanne. Strange_One's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    485,902,641/Vincent
    Blog Entries
    Yeah.

Being the home of Doctor Who there's been allsorts of Doctor Who stuff these past few days.

My response remains meh.
    BEHOLD! THE SIG OF GOLDEN TRUTH! Pillaged from McJon, Tsukikan et al.

Blog Entries
    It has been seen now. Very interesting.
    Small but dangerous!

My boring Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by mirakura View Post
    Cute things are cute.

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'd say it was pretty much everything we could've asked for. If Steven Moffat is going out (and Matt with him), that's the way to do it.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ah, that was all sorts of awesome.

... I think I need a cigarette after that.

Blog Entries
    I'm allergic, so I've gone with rum - but I know what you mean.

And damn that teaser - thirteen!

You realise that now he'll have to stay on forever, because that's the last regeneration?

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Eh, yada yada, originally more regenerations and what-not. Dunno what they're going to do with it... though I wouldn't mind Capaldi staying as the Doctor for eternity.

Then again, I guess it's time to set our gazes to the upcoming Valeyard.

Blog Entries
    That was indeed something all right. Didn't even feel it pass. 1 hour and 10 minutes seemed to have went by in an instant. Although, with Gallifrey back, they might award the Doctor with a new set of regeneration for saving them all. If Rassilon doesn't try to become a being of conscious again.

Blog Entries
    If I had to harp about anything, some parts of it really felt like they were written with 9th in mind, rather than War Doctor.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Verg Avesta View Post
    Eh, yada yada, originally more regenerations and what-not. Dunno what they're going to do with it... though I wouldn't mind Capaldi staying as the Doctor for eternity.
    I've never seen the guy, so I'm withholding judgement, for the moment.

Then again, I guess it's time to set our gazes to the upcoming Valeyard.
    True - because "The Name of the Doctor" confirmed his existence, didn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Fakessassin View Post
    That was indeed something all right. Didn't even feel it pass. 1 hour and 10 minutes seemed to have went by in an instant.
    Truer words were never spoken.

Although, with Gallifrey back, they might award the Doctor with a new set of regeneration for saving them all. If Rassilon doesn't try to become a being of conscious again.
    There is that - it's certainly been implied that they could do it before (with the aforementioned Valeyard, no less!) . . .

If I had to harp about anything, some parts of it really felt like they were written with 9th in mind, rather than War Doctor.
    Perhaps - but he was probably busy filming "Thor: The Dark World" . . . And besides, it was John freaking Hurt.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Holy shit, that was amazing, I wanna watch it again.

Year 1

Salt Corner

Quote Originally Posted by hayate View Post
    He's the exception. We see him swimming in with the
    gold
    good
    waifus.

He got his share of woes as with other players, but it has been overwhelmed by the sheer amount of different SSRs, both as F2P and P2P.

I don't even wish to stand beside him as I got 2 consecutive IRs at my work the very same month after I got Jeanne.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriulio View Post
    Okay:

First of all, a big FUCK YOU to everyone who got Holmes
    Second of all, a DOUBLE FUCK YOU at Laith because asahkwbebnfj,hhfshfls;
    Third of all, a TRIPLE FUCK YOU to people who quote Laith's gacha posts. THE WHOLE POINT OF HAVING HIM IN MY IGNORE LIST IS TO PREVENT THIS
    Quote Originally Posted by Aozaki-desu View Post
    fuck laith btw

Blog Entries
    It was, and I did - and now I'm trying to figure out if I can talk my sister into taking me to see it in 3-D.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I just wish that Eccelson could've come back, if only for the bit where Hurt regenerates, instead of cutting off early. I did like the bit about the ears though.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Yes that fuckin Capaldi cameo was just painfully great and then the one at the end too omg.

They will probably find a loophole for the whole regen thing eventually.

And my 10... *le cry* He is my fav Doctor and shall always be. I will miss him so.

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    I've always wanted to get into this series but I've no idea where to start. Any good pointers?
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername View Post
    I've always wanted to get into this series but I've no idea where to start. Any good pointers?
    I'd say start at the first episode of the 2005 re-launch, "Rose". It pretty much tells you all that you need to know in the first couple of minutes, and has some nice action-y scenes. It's not one of the best, but it gives a good grounding of the setting, and the next few episodes are very enjoyable. Charles Dickens shows up in third one.

Or if you want a stand-alone episode to get you interested, watch "Blink" from (New) Series 3. It basically revolves around time travel hi-jinks, from a bystanders POV.
    Last edited by Mattias; November 24th, 2013 at 04:13 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Perhaps - but he was probably busy filming "Thor: The Dark World" . . . And besides, it was John freaking Hurt.
    Oh, don't get me wrong. I fucking love John Hurt.

However, some of the interactions really felt like they were designed with 9th in mind.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    I just wish that Eccelson could've come back, if only for the bit where Hurt regenerates, instead of cutting off early. I did like the bit about the ears though.
    Me, too - all the little in-jokes were funny.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRevanTitor View Post
    Yes that fuckin Capaldi cameo was just painfully great and then the one at the end too omg.

They will probably find a loophole for the whole regen thing eventually.
    The series has a couple, actually - it's just a matter of using them. And so long as he was the last of the Time Lords, they couldn't.

And my 10... *le cry* He is my fav Doctor and shall always be. I will miss him so.
    I have trouble deciding between him and 11, actually - something I never thought I'd say when David left (incidentally, can we still call them that, since we know now that they're 11 and 12?). They're the perfect examples of what the Doctor should be: both brilliant, and both unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    I'd say start at the first episode of the 2005 re-launch, "Rose". It pretty much tells you all that you need to know in the first couple of minutes, and has some nice action-y scenes. It's not one of the best, but it gives a good grounding of the setting, and the next few episodes are very enjoyable. Charles Dickens shows up in third one.

Or if you want a stand-alone episode to get you interested, watch "Blink" from (New) Series 3. It basically revolves around time travel hi-jinks, from a bystanders POV.
    What he said. Alternatively, each new regeneration isn't a bad place to start, since it tends to reset the setting to a degree - particularly with the appearance of the Eleventh (Matt Smith). Then, the show changed writers, and most of the familiar characters and places were put aside in favour of new ones.

If you just want standalone episodes, however - yes, "Blink" is a must. An absolute must. "The Eleventh Hour" is another, as is "The Doctor's Wife." There are others, but the titles escape me at the moment (well, beyond "The Christmas Invasion"); and that's just in one-episode storylines.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I fucking love John Hurt.

However, some of the interactions really felt like they were designed with 9th in mind.
    I suppose I can't argue that - and if I read one article correctly, they did ask him. Considering the number of Doctors who were annoyed at not being asked, it seems idiotic to have turned them down. Ah, well . . .

Now we just wait for December 10th, when it's released on disc - or try to see it in theatre on Monday.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Like everyone else suggested, "Rose" and "Blink" are good points to start. Although, if you want an awesome story but cut out the timey-wimey, "The Impossible Planet"/"The Satan Pit" is a personal favourite of mine. Only problem is that it is a two-parter.

On that note though, where is a good place to start Classic Who though, that one's a toughie, seeing chronological order is out of the question with missing gaps.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The 1996 movie might also be a good start point, as it was intended to get American audiences who had never heard of it, interested in the show. PLus it introduces the Master, so you have some background when he shows up again.