Thread: The Beasts' Lair Dorf Fort Succession Game

Into that mountain we go! Gaterjhonz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Beasts' Lair Dorf Fort Succession Game

Most other forums had their fun with this game, now it's time for us to have ours.

All right I'll bite, what the hell is this?
    Basically, a succession game, each of the players will be given a year, from the first spring to the next, to rule a fortress and try to make it better or try to avoid making it worse.

What the hell is Dwarf Fortress?
    Copied directly from the official website: Dwarf Fortress is a single-player fantasy game. You can control a dwarven outpost or an adventurer in a randomly generated, persistent world. That's it really. Or if you're not very satisfied from that, here's an explanation from Boatmurdered

I don't play Dwarf Fortress/I don't know how to play Dwarf Fortress
    Well you're in luck, here's a fairly detailed beginner's guide

These graphics hurt my eyes
    Here are some graphic packs to get you better acquainted with how the game looks, and don't ask for 3D, I don't know what that is.

Okay now that's done with, time for the rules:

RULES:
    -Each player will get one turn to manage a fortress, starting Spring until the next Spring a year later. Once the prompt "Spring has arrived!" save the game, zip it, upload it somewhere then post the link here so that the next person in line can continue where you left off. In case something nasty happens in your turn (and believe me something will) that will render the fortress beyond recovery, we will revert to the last salvageable save.

-There is no time limit for your turn but do please post regularly or at least get things going. Your turn can be broken down into several posts if you want but please keep it consistent.

-Please try not to fuck up the fortress beyond recovery. Examples include: digging too deep(believe me you won't want that), flooding the world with magma/water, utterly destroying the fortress, pissing off some factions so that they slaughter you next year(meaning the next player suffers the consequence). Although this rule can be circumvented if you follow optional rule #2.

-player list is generated on a first come first serve basis, there is no limit to the number of players.

Optional rules:
    Spoiler:

-be as drunk as possible before playing, post what you drank and how much you drank before and after your turn. Typos are permitted but please make sure it's easy to read.

-piss off the elves to the point of them waging war on you with unicorns and fantastic beasts.

-create a huge machine to fuck over the world

Game will start once there are at least ten players willing to play, the next set can join as they wish and some can even do it again but they have to wait for the proper list to run itself out first. Okay now that that's over, let's have fun playing this(please).

Player List:
    Spoiler:

-Gaterjhonz
    -Arch-Magos Winter
    -Desu_Cake
    Last edited by Gaterjhonz; January 17th, 2014 at 10:44 PM.
    Not so Mega Sig, now properly spoilered
    Spoiler:
    [20:39] <Fishie> I'MA GO PUT HER UNDEREWAR ON MY HEAD LIKE A SALARY PERSON
    the whole story here

A travel Advisory:
    Spoiler:

Come visit the 7th Dimension--Where nightmares dreams are made into realities

[23:50] <Sieg> Gater is golddigging deviant?

[11:59] <TheoReforged> I KNOW WHO YOU ARE NOW
    [11:59] <TheoReforged> YOU'RE .... ROADBUSTER!
    [12:00] <@Leo> i'm sorry but that's retarded
    [12:00] <Irondefiler> *cricket sounds*

Beast's Lair's own Dwarf Fortress succession game is now recruiting mighty able dwarves, sign up if you have what it takes!

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Would love to do this if I still had a computer.

It'll also most likely be a huge bitch for new players to always look up the available resources and length of routes and what not. One player may use burrows and the other may have no idea what they are and fuck it all up because of that. I love looting gobbo weapons and making militia into knifers and lashers and bowmen, but it requires careful management of the equipment, not everybody has the nerve for that.

Still, I like the idea. Mostly because it only takes up a fraction of the time a DF game normally would.

ALSO FUCKING SPOILERS IN YOUR POST, it's common sense not to dig too deep and greedily and trap the shit out of cave entrances. Suffice to say that people should have a basic idea of what they are doing, else they'd probably get raped by the first siege anyway.
    Last edited by Ratman; January 16th, 2014 at 03:39 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Aww shit nigga I'm tempted. I'll post screenshots and shit of our new fortress once I get the game installed on this laptop.

I've always wanted to join one of these, sign me up!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Ill gladly observe the hilarity that is this, but I've tried Dorffort myself and didn't find it to my enjoyment. Will still keep myself updated on this, it sounds hilarious.

Into that mountain we go! Gaterjhonz's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Updated the first post to take care of some spoilery content and added a list of players. So that's three confirmed players(myself included), seven more and we could start this off, thought I'm concerned a bit about schedule since twothree or possibly more of the players are joining the fanfic contest so this may start at mid march or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
    It'll also most likely be a huge bitch for new players to always look up the available resources and length of routes and what not. One player may use burrows and the other may have no idea what they are and fuck it all up because of that.
    That's one of the fun parts though, especially if a new player gets a turn somewhere later in the list. Yeah that would be a problem, a !FUN! problem.
    Last edited by Gaterjhonz; January 17th, 2014 at 11:04 PM.
    Not so Mega Sig, now properly spoilered
    Spoiler:
    [20:39] <Fishie> I'MA GO PUT HER UNDEREWAR ON MY HEAD LIKE A SALARY PERSON
    the whole story here

A travel Advisory:
    Spoiler:

Come visit the 7th Dimension--Where nightmares dreams are made into realities

[23:50] <Sieg> Gater is golddigging deviant?

[11:59] <TheoReforged> I KNOW WHO YOU ARE NOW
    [11:59] <TheoReforged> YOU'RE .... ROADBUSTER!
    [12:00] <@Leo> i'm sorry but that's retarded
    [12:00] <Irondefiler> *cricket sounds*

Beast's Lair's own Dwarf Fortress succession game is now recruiting mighty able dwarves, sign up if you have what it takes!