Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 1818

Thread: Avatar: The Last Airbender/The Legend of Korra discussion thread

Blog Entries
    Welp, Korra took back the idiot ball.

JP Friend Code
    No one cares.
    Blog Entries
    * After watching the new spisode.....

-Spirit World! Way more betting looking than the one that Aang visited.

-Cute little spirit critters! :3

-Uncle Iroh! Yay!

-Loli!Korra is so moe~

-Wa Shi Tong's Spirit Library and Professor Zei make a cameo....he's dead.

-Dragon Bird! So awesome!

-Unalaq is an asshole.

-Jinora! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
    Last edited by Renko; November 9th, 2013 at 02:46 AM.

"......"

Quote Originally Posted by Thedoctor View Post
    Why can't we all be as sexually devious as Renko?

Miscellaneous Info

Quote Originally Posted by Renko
    "I really loathe Fanfictions that are so horrendously horrible, it makes me want to go get my massive NAIL BAT OF RAPTURE and swing it real HARD to any AUTHOR who will dare create such filthy and disgusting piece of literature!"

"THEY WON'T SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY....THEY WILL SUFFER!"

Blog Entries
    I'm still somewhat annoyed by the fact that we're this far into season 2 and we still have no idea exactly what spiritbending is and how it works. I know it's not a big thing in the long run because it's clearly only important for this particular story arc, but it's been bothering me all season. I feel like I would have cared more about Unalaq threatening Jinora if I knew why it was bad that he was spiritbending her like that.

Seeing Iroh made me sad. I missed him.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    In this episode of Korra in Wonderland...

The episode has just started, and I already have to facepalm? Seriously, I'm finding difficult to like my favorite characters, and that's saying a lot.

Aaaand the show drops the bomb, with Iroh's cameo. Not cool.

I'm not saying the episode was that bad per se, but I also can't say I liked it. It is perhaps my least favorite episode of Korra so far. Maybe the animation, which was on par with Avatar's established level, that was nice, but all the rest felt... so weird, I don't know how to explain it. Perhaps too much Disney-like? Dunno, but definitely weird. Story-wise, there is really nothing to save IMHO.

“Did you manage to close the portal?! Was Jinora able to help you?!” And I have to facepalm for you, Korra.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Riven View Post
    Despite that, the episode still seemed to run out of time as the climax feels very rushed. You're getting to the point where can kind of guess what's about to happen at the end and then boom, boom, boom. Everything that this whole season has been building up goes down within the space of about two minutes. There's no real time to let the gravitas ride the high it's on.
    The Avatar series as a whole never had a sense of subtlety and building suspense, but in Korra it's especially evident.

(Yes, I know, I already said this. I'm annoying. Come on, say it, I'm annoying, say it, I'm annoying... say it.)

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
    I'm still somewhat annoyed by the fact that we're this far into season 2 and we still have no idea exactly what spiritbending is and how it works. I know it's not a big thing in the long run because it's clearly only important for this particular story arc, but it's been bothering me all season. I feel like I would have cared more about Unalaq threatening Jinora if I knew why it was bad that he was spiritbending her like that.
    Hey, in TLA we had energybending coming out of nowhere, so it's not unheard of.

But yes, I also wondering what the heck was that purple... thing... Unalaq was bending on Jinora and Korra.

Another Day At the Office Riven's Avatar
    The purple stuff appeared to be basically Unalaq bending their souls. His exact threat was that if Korra didn't open the portal, then Jinora would lose her soul, so I'm guessing energybending can destroy just as easily as it calms.

Blog Entries
    Energybending was a last minute addition to the show in the last episode, and you could at least figure out the gist of it by the whole talk of chakras and the flow of energy from the season 2 finale for Avatar. Spiritbending has been a consistent part of season 2 of Korra since the beginning, and we still have absolutely no clue how it works, why it calms down spirits, or what Unalaq was doing to suddenly make it work in the opposite of what it had been doing before.

The most I can say I know is that spiritbending is linked to waterbending, and I still don't get how. Unless the idea is supposed to be that spiritbending is done with water from the North Pole's spirit oasis.

What I'm still not clear on is if Spiritbending is a standalone kind of bending, a subset of energy bending, a subset of water bending, or some kind of fusion between the two.

Or maybe its dance bending.

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    Prolly a set of rituals for every element that allow people to manipulate energy/spirit. Or maybe just water, given the similarity to healing.
    IIRC water glowed when Katara used it to heal.

Blog Entries
    Finally watched the episode and Korra wen't full stupid for opening the second portal without any insurance unalaq was going to follow through with the deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    dumb people always have shit opinions about eva, its like some kind of more reliable iq test
    [20:47:33] I3uster: in 2015 a crack memer was sent to skype prison by a court of his Peers for a crime he didnt commit. he promptly escaped from his Maximum security Forum into the twitter Underground. Today, still wanted by the skype Group he survives as memer of fortune. If you Need a shitpost, if nobody else can fuck up a thread, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire: June.

20.06.2014 Never forget

JP Friend Code
    No one cares.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilm View Post
    Finally watched the episode and Korra wen't full stupid for opening the second portal without any insurance unalaq was going to follow through with the deal.
    What can she do? That Asshole really is going to kill Jinora and Korra can't even bend in spirit form. So I say again...what else can she do?

"......"

Miscellaneous Info

"I really loathe Fanfictions that are so horrendously horrible, it makes me want to go get my massive NAIL BAT OF RAPTURE and swing it real HARD to any AUTHOR who will dare create such filthy and disgusting piece of literature!"

Quote Originally Posted by Renko View Post
    What can she do? That Asshole really is going to kill Jinora and Korra can't even bend in spirit form. So I say again...what else can she do?
    Not place the safety of one girl ahead of the safety of two worlds. However, that would be logical, and rational, and totally not respectable for the heroine of a kid's show as it's blatant grey morality.

JP Friend Code
    No one cares.
    Blog Entries
    Not place the safety of one girl ahead of the safety of two worlds. However, that would be logical, and rational, and totally not respectable for the heroine of a kid's show as it's blatant grey morality.
    True. But Korra's character seems to be the one who doesn't make the greatest decisions.
    Last edited by Renko; November 10th, 2013 at 10:42 AM.

"......"

Miscellaneous Info

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    It would be silly if only waterbenders have their version of spiritbending. But then again, the spirit portals are located and can be accessed only in water tribe territories...

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilm View Post
    What can I tell you? Stop watching things, guys.

Blog Entries
    She had a choice between two evils, 1 was doom two worlds, get killed herself, Jinora gets immediatly killed anyway. Unalaq never planned to let either of them go or sacrifice herself and Jinora to save the world. She didn't know the spirits would come and save her and Jinora.

I know it's a kid show and they aren't going to show us any grey choice making like that, it's either save everybody or nobody with these things, but compounded with all the other dumb stuff, this irked me. They might as well had Unalaq say: "What? You really went for that, you know both of you are going to die either way."

In fact if she hadn't opened the portal Unalaq would have probably imprisoned her and maybe Jinora, technically winning her time for somebody to come in with a potential rescue. Most kidshows would have left them imprisoned by Unalaq, where he tries to threaten and kind of "torture" compliance out of Korra until she gets rescued in the next episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    dumb people always have shit opinions about eva, its like some kind of more reliable iq test
    [20:47:33] I3uster: in 2015 a crack memer was sent to skype prison by a court of his Peers for a crime he didnt commit. he promptly escaped from his Maximum security Forum into the twitter Underground. Today, still wanted by the skype Group he survives as memer of fortune. If you Need a shitpost, if nobody else can fuck up a thread, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire: June.

20.06.2014 Never forget

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One

There. Because you're hurt.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    Doesn't change that it was dumb.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One

So Legend of Korra basically turned into Pacific Rim...
    Code:
    [07:55:59] <Spinach> Take off your clothes Kirby
    [07:56:07] <Kirby> I'm in class

[20:37:34] <Lian|phone> there is a such thing as lingerie for guys?
    [20:37:54] <Kyokushi> yea
    [20:37:57] <Kyokushi> they're called jockstraps
    [20:38:02] <Lian|phone> :o
    [20:38:07] * Lian|phone googles
    [20:38:10] <Kyokushi> NO
    [20:38:11] <Kyokushi> DON'T
    [20:40:07] <Lian|phone> okay
    [20:40:16] <Lian|phone> I don't think I should have googled that

[12:59:30]  <Spinach> call me onii-chan, bitch
    [13:00:12]  <kroyo> imma fuck ur shit up onii-fam

Well that was certainly an eventful finale. As much as I don't like Unalaq as a villain or a character, he actually did really well here for the parts he was in. He's a clever planner and a powerful waterbender, so the whole ending really kept you on your toes, even if his motivations aren't that compelling.

The animation was most definitely one of the major factors here. Everything is nice and fluid, and the effects really drive home the magnitude of power in play. Furthermore, the choreography is great to watch, especially in group battles.

As for the characters, well, spoilers from here on out:

Spoiler:

Korra is obviously the star of the show, and her character (re)growth over the past season really shows here. She doesn't scream at people when she doesn't get her way, and she handles her relationships with others very maturely. At the end, she's decisive in her final actions and choices, but still listens to the advice of Tenzin and her friends. It's nice to see her progress so far from the brat she was at the beginning of this season.

Bolin also gets a lot of the spotlight this time around. We get to see that despite his earlier desire to get out of his brother's shadow, he still cares for him, and visits him in prison to inform him he'll cover the legal matters. All with typical Bolin humor. Aside from that, he gets to strut his bending stuff while saving the President himself in (appropriately) the pro-bending arena. He also manages to contribute to saving the world by basically sacrificing himself to Eska (that takes guts) and going toe to toe with Unalaq. He's even thoughtful enough to give his brother a hug when Mako really needs it.

Mako actually gets some characterization this time around. He gets validated in Lin's eyes when Varick's plot is revealed, and resists blowing up on everyone for not believing him in the first place. Furthermore, he shows that he's genuinely uncomfortable with trying to tell Korra what exactly happened between them before she left, aka the breakup (I knew amnesia would be used in some contrived way). In the end, he manages to handle it wisely and maturely and doesn't try to prop his pride when everything comes down.

Asami gets a little shafted in regards to screentime. It makes sense as she's a nonbender in a playing field made for benders and spiritual heavyweights. However, she does get her moments in the limelight when flying that plane in strafing runs, and she looks pretty damn pissed when Korra makes out with Mako right in front of her. More on that later though.

Tenzin, Kya, and Bumi get some nice sibling dynamics going on throughout the finale. Tenzin gets the most focus as he tries to save Jinora and help Korra spiritually. In the end, this means confronting his own insecurities regarding his father's legacy and accepting that he can't teach Korra absolutely everything. Kya manages to save everyone with spirit water a few times, but other than that, she mostly just plays off her brothers. Bumi meanwhile, gets to utterly wreck a Northern Water tribe military base purely by accident, saving everyone in the process. When he's not being an accidental badass, he's lightening the mood with some hilarious quips.

Eska and Desna get a bit more of a role this time, mainly playing the co-dragons to their father's evil plan, while at the same time doubting his motive and methods. They're still a little flat, but manage to provide some offbeat humor with their deadpan seriousness. In the end, they make choices like rational people (in Desna's case) or obsessive stalker people (in Eska's case) and defect for entirely valid reasons. Yea, your dad becoming the avatar of evil itself might be a little blow to filial piety.

Finally, Varick manages to still be pure gold whenever he's on screen, even though he effectively disappears from the plot after the second episode. Whether it's revealing that he had a special luxury cell commissioned at the jail because he felt that he might be arrested someday, or naming a battleship after his assistant, or escaping via flying machine after the prison is attacked, he's always just hilarious to watch.

Alright, enough about characters. The actual ending is here:

After a terrific giant fight, Korra manages to get rid of Unalaq and Vatu rather efficiently with some help from Jinora. When they get back to fusing after Rava almost dies, it's revealed that Korra can no longer contact past avatars. It isn't clear if no more avatars past her can ever do this or it's just her, or if this only effects her. However, to go with the change in spiritual scenery, Korra decides to try something new and keep the portals open to let spirits into the physical world again. It should be interesting to see how the humans cope with this new status quo in the near future. Definitely plot points for the next season.

Also, a couple ships apparently got sunk this episode. Eska x Bolin realized it wouldn't work out even though Bolin confesses that he likes Eska anyways. Eska and Desna are apparently heading back home to take care of their mother, and Bolin is heading back to Republic City himself. Neither of them want a long distance relationship, so they just decided to end it here. Similarly, Korra x Mako got broken up again, for real this time. After Korra recovers all he memories, Mako admits that their fight really was that bad and he broke up with her. Korra then reveals that she already knows and both of them admit that their relationship won't work. After one last kiss, they break up officially. Looks like this is the end of the love triangle (hopefully...).

So yea, that's my impressions. Overall, very good: Season 2 started off really slow and managed to find its footing to some extent. Still not as good 1, but then again, later installments generally don't usually measure up as high as the original. .
    Last edited by Riven; November 16th, 2013 at 04:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    I just watched Korra 11.

MAKO. HAHAHAHAHAAHA.

I LIKE YOU.