Page 3286 of 3745 FirstFirst ... 228627863186323632763281328432853286328732883291329633363386 ... LastLast
Results 65,701 to 65,720 of 74889

Thread: UBW Anime - ufotable's virtue is in a state of quantum uncertainty

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I still disagree that Saber is thinking about life not as a king, since shirou isnt thinking about life if he was a baker or whatever.

The conflict between shirou is the difference between what he wanted to achieve and what he actually did achieve, and I think thats what saber is thinking about too.
    Then why bother to show happy girl Saber and cold king Saber?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I still disagree that Saber is thinking about life not as a king, since shirou isnt thinking about life if he was a baker or whatever..
    That'd be Ciel.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    Then why bother to show happy girl Saber and cold king Saber?
    I think to much is made out of the new outfit. Fate calls Avalon the image of the dream that saber had, a paradise she couldn't reach.

now with that in mind, if I wanted to draw a picture highlighting the difference between what saber wanted and she actually got, what I would have came up with and what ufo actually did would have been almost identical.

see how it fits together? Shirou is struggling with wanting to be a super hero and the reality of ended up archer. Saber is facing a similar existential crisis. further, saber is on both sides of the argument because her story in fate actually is both. Hang with me here.

saber's dream: become a perfect King and make everyone happy.

shirou's dream: people an ally of justice and make everyone happy.

now saber on the other side of the coin

saber's reality, and it's solution: use the holy grail and erase my attempt to become a perfect king

archer'a reality and its solution: kill shirou and erase my attempt to become an ally of justice.

so in my book the idea saber is randomly wool gathering about what life would be like as a baker or as a shepherdess just does not hold up. Because that's very notably nothing like what shirou is thinking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Both means the two paths that Saber could've taken and considered this episode: living as a happy girl or saving Britain for a time as its King. Neither one is wrong; living happily is an excellent life decision, while saving a country is an admiral achievement.

So no, UTW just cut away some of her focus.
    Are you basing that on the japanese text or your opinion?

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Elthanes View Post
    Are you basing that on the japanese text or your opinion?
    How I viewed the episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

I had the same viewpoint about it being an alternate lifestyle. Tobi, why is it that you cant accept the possibility?

Blog Entries
    Well, as an abstract, I rather like the idea. At the least I have nothing against with it.

to me though, it just doesn't fit that scene. The whole thing they are doing there is mirroring how similar saber is to both archer and shirou. Neither archer and shirou are thinking about life as a chef or something, so it doesn't make sense saber is.

Archer is thinking about straight up killing himself, twice, odd as that sounds, and shirou is trying to decide if what he now knows he will have to face means his ideal was wrong.

(That's actually another parallel between them because like shirou, saber was actually told what was going to happen to her and she decided to do it anyway, but that's not quite as relevant to the scene)

anyway, it's not that I hate the idea, and I am pretty sure it's not some errant outgrowth of me being a saberphile, it's just my read of the themes ufo was trying to convey don't fit with it being some kind of alternate lifestyle.

EDIT: doesn't hurt that the argument for it being an alternate lifestyle is actually rather thin. It seems to boil down to mostly "saber has different clothes".

which...could have other reasons. Hell I am pretty sure they were just looking for an excuse to design saber some new Avalon clothes so they could start the next generation of Avalon figmas and what not.
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

JP Friend Code
    266,041,773 / Justice
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    For the record, I personally think Tobias's viewpoint is the most sensical here, considering how purposefully the anime is showing parallels between Archer/Shirou and Saber. Heck, I even quoted his point and made it a blog entry. :P

Just going back to the question I raised in my last post, because I need things spelled out to me sometimes-- the UTW subs, the ones emphasizing Archer/Shirou and their dreams as the subject(s) rather than Saber, are the most correct ones in the context of the Saber monologue, right? Or do the Crunchyroll subs somehow make more sense in a way I'm not seeing?
    (old FGO USA accounts still being listed here for some reason)
    Spoiler:
    1st Ever Account: feat. Waver & Herc)
    (Currently waiting to be Recovered from Space)
    User ID: 096,380,356

Strategic Account: Waver, Carmilla, Atalante, Kaleidoscope

User ID: 744,854,542

(Helpful Explanation on How a Mongrel beat a King in UBW.)

Quote Originally Posted by Broke View Post

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    snip

now with that in mind, if I wanted to draw a picture highlighting the difference between what saber wanted and she actually got, what I would have came up with and what ufo actually did would have been almost identical.

snip
    But Saber didn't originally want to be a happy girl in girly clothing. She wanted to be a just and fair king beloved by all, leading a realm in peace, so I don't get how her pictured dress shows this.

Blog Entries
    Again, fate describes Avalon as the sum of saber's dream. And as far as I can tell, that vision we are seeing is saber in Avalon except she has a mildly different dress.

JP Friend Code
    266,041,773 / Justice
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    But Saber didn't originally want to be a happy girl in girly clothing. She wanted to be a just and fair king beloved by all, leading a realm in peace, so I don't get how her pictured dress shows this.
    Because JUSTIFIED REASON FOR A NEW SABER FIGURE that's why.
    (old FGO USA accounts still being listed here for some reason)
    Spoiler:
    1st Ever Account: feat. Waver & Herc)
    (Currently waiting to be Recovered from Space)
    User ID: 096,380,356

Strategic Account: Waver, Carmilla, Atalante, Kaleidoscope

User ID: 744,854,542

(Helpful Explanation on How a Mongrel beat a King in UBW.)

Quote Originally Posted by Broke View Post

Blog Entries
    here, I will save you the trouble of citation needing me on the whole "avalon is the symbol of saber's wish" thing

That which is released and scattered before her is the holy sword's sheath.

No one knows what kind of a divine mystery it is made from, but the sheath repels all light emitted by Ea.
    No. It goes beyond the level of "defending".

It is complete isolation.
    The barrier of fairyland that keeps out all filth from the outside lands. A complete world separate from this one that can never be reached.
    As Saber is protected by the sheath of the holy sword, she is blocked off from all matter in this world.
    The greatest protection in this world.
    The greatest that cannot be infringed by anything not even by the five sorceries.

For that reason, the sheath is named Avalon, All is a Distant Utopia.
    The place where King Arthur is said to have gone after his death. The utopia the king dreamed of that will never be reached.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost132435 View Post
    For the love of god no!...Goddamnit Third Fang
    And what's wrong with that?

Nasu obviously got the inspiration for Archer's sword spamming/manipulation from Chinese Wuxia...and one of the advanced levels of that skill is sword surfing.

Unlike Gil who can just shoot them in a straight line (making it awkward), it's the natural progression for someone with Archer's abilities.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	135770.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	12489
    Last edited by ksho; June 5th, 2015 at 10:02 PM.

Queen of Love and Beauty GhostDIGIT's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ksho View Post
    Please no.
    Spoiler:
    The Best Thing BlackBlade's Ever Said.
    Quote Originally Posted by black1blade View Post
    Just watch KNK, read fate and tsuki then just never bother with another nasu thing again but continue to use BL regardless.

Dullahan's Writing Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    I hope you love purple prose, pretentious dialogue and oblique references to Hegelian philosophy too motherfucker 'cause that's what's up

Please no.
    The weight of thousands of years of Chinese mythology shall not be denied!

You will be Assimilated. Resistance is Futile.
    Last edited by ksho; June 5th, 2015 at 10:20 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    snip

For that reason, the sheath is named Avalon, All is a Distant Utopia.
    The place where King Arthur is said to have gone after his death. The utopia the king dreamed of that will never be reached.
    Okay, where in that says Avalon = wearing a nice dress and lazing the day away?

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors lethum's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Please no.
    You can't- handle the truth, it seems.

Queen of Love and Beauty GhostDIGIT's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I can handle the truth! I just can't handle the lies! ;_;
    Spoiler:
    The Best Thing BlackBlade's Ever Said.
    Quote Originally Posted by black1blade View Post
    Just watch KNK, read fate and tsuki then just never bother with another nasu thing again but continue to use BL regardless.

Dullahan's Writing Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    I hope you love purple prose, pretentious dialogue and oblique references to Hegelian philosophy too motherfucker 'cause that's what's up

Blog Entries
    Okay, where in that says Avalon = wearing a nice dress and lazing the day away?
    ...what exactly are you trying to argue?

EXIT: lethum, you, Ksho, and ghost are getting pretty close to just shit posting.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    ...what exactly are you trying to argue?

EXIT: lethum, you, Ksho, and ghost are getting pretty close to just shit posting.
    If the dual-Saber thing was supposed show what she wanted (I'm taking this to be the nice dress Saber) and what she got (armored Saber), why is one of the Sabers wearing a nice dress? You proceeded to say that it embodied her vision of Avalon, and I'm asking what information presented depicts this in any fashion?