Page 373 of 440 FirstFirst ... 273323363368371372373374375378383423 ... LastLast
Results 7,441 to 7,460 of 8797

Thread: What are you reading/watching? AKA Anime/Manga General

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The anime is a wreck, just read the manga.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    The anime is a wreck, just read the manga.
    I'm aware the anime diverges from the manga at around the Zagan arc (in particular the "fallen Alibaba" storyline is entirely anime-original to give a more satisfactory climax for the season), and is unpopular by some for that reason. But from what I've heard season 2 is a much straighter adaptation that doesn't really digress from the source-material, so that wouldn't be a problem going forward. That's just assuming you're talking about the anime-only content as a reason why it's a "wreck" and not something else entirely, of course. If it's something else I'm curious why you'd say so, since as a first-time viewer I thought the show was quite good.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Finished S1 of Magi. It was a fun show but hoo boy, the ending took a turn for the nonsensical. Trippy flashbacks that make no sense, confusing fantasy terminology thrown around without context (who/what is "Alma Torran"?) new characters we've never seen before who only appear for like ~5 seconds... I don't know if it was any clearer in the manga but this was a bit of a mess.
    S1 finishes with Alma Torran? It's either an anime original scene you're not getting context for until waaaay in the future or this shit is astoundingly rushed.
    The anime never adapted the ending btw, so you're going to need to go to the manga eventually. Alma Torran is the worst btw so get ready once you move on to the manga, luckily you can binge read now since it's all out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    S1 finishes with Alma Torran? It's either an anime original scene you're not getting context for until waaaay in the future or this shit is astoundingly rushed.
    The anime never adapted the ending btw, so you're going to need to go to the manga eventually. Alma Torran is the worst btw so get ready once you move on to the manga, luckily you can binge read now since it's all out.
    No, the term is just mentioned out of context, hence why it makes little sense. I found out from reading up about the series that "Alma Torran" is the name of Solomon's original kingdom in Magiverse, which kind of makes more sense, but that's not at all made clear in the show itself. "Anime-original scene without context" sounds like you pretty much nailed it.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    On a more positive sidenote, this show's view on fate is quite interesting. In trying to fight against fate you actually get obsessed by it, whereas by accepting fate and just living your life you can be free. It's an unusual take that I don't recall seeing in any series before, anime/manga or otherwise. More commonly you get shows where "fighting fate" (damn the costs) is treated as an unequivocal good thing.
    That's basically the moral of Oedipus Rex. If they had just let thing alone, nothing would have happened, but by fighting it they set up their own downfall.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    That's basically the moral of Oedipus Rex. If they had just let thing alone, nothing would have happened, but by fighting it they set up their own downfall.
    Well, the idea of self-fulfilling prophecies is pretty common in ancient myth (the story of Perseus' father was quite similar). Usually though it's sort of unclear because if the prophecy is truly absolute, you'd think it'd come true whether one tries to thwart it or not. On the other hand, perhaps it's precisely because you're the sort of person who'd try to avoid it that the prophecy even exists. If you just didn't care (and hence wouldn't take the necessary steps to fulfill it), such a prophecy would never be made in the first place. In any case, I hadn't seen that kind of moral delivered so clearly before.

Blog Entries
    Still watching Magi. Have to say, I'm kinda' shipping Kougyoku x Alibaba more than Kougyoku x Sinbad at this point. Her feelings for Sinbad are basically a schoolgirl's first crush (she even admits she didn't know anything about him when she "fell in love" with him) while with Alibaba she has a genuine friendship and some things in common. Those scenes were he was complimenting on her flower-crown weaving were super cute too. Though the show's kind of teasing at an Alibaba x Morgiana pairing (albeit so far it seems limited to one-sided crushing on Morgiana's part), so it might go that direction instead.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    I can't believe that Moeha's going to help Kei set up a premium Snapchat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Summer Dioscuri Dream Sandstorm77's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Kei falling to the dark path was amazingly hillarious. DIO knows what the market wants.

"An ideal is only an ideal after all. As long as you embrace that ideal, the friction with reality will continue to increase. So you will someday face reality and will have to pay for your compromises"

Blog Entries
    So...I bought "The Nerima Daikon Brothers: The Freshly Grated Musical" in a bargain sale a while back on a whim and only got around to watching it now...I ended up binging the entire show in one day.

DAMN this show was good. Basically The Blues Brothers meets the Animaniacs complete with random breaking into song and everything. Not only that, this was back when dubs actually tried a damn and so the musical numbers were dubbed as well. EVERY SINGLE ONE. Hell, I'd even go as far as to say this is one of the rare times when the dub can be considered superior.

Nabeshin really hit it outta the park this time. And of course being one of his animes he cameos yet again with his red suit and afro - this time as the Rental Shop guy who loans the heroes the MacGuffin each episode in exchange for only a song. "The Rental Song" is probably my favourite of the musical numbers too.

GOAT anime. 10/10. Wish it was more than twelve episodes but then it's better to left wanting more than to be err... I forgot how the phrase goes. :/

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    Finished watching all of Sora no Otoshimono, which I wanted to do for a long while now and Plunderer finally convinced me to go in. It's a fine, fun ecchi romp with an entertaining cast. But I need to vent
    Whoever thought Eternal my Master was a great idea is 1000000 times more stupid than Astraea. It's just incomplete. For a movie titled Final, they didn't even attempt to give an ending. Wow. And having a different studio with a different art style doesn't help. Seriously, what a retarded movie.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    I tried getting through Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Detonation, for the second time since it came out. I can't. I just can't.
    Feels like everything interesting and original about this franchise is gone, probably dying in the car crash that was Force (which will be my next project, having put it off too long in the hopes it would resume eventually). The fights are okay, but they have no stakes, no emotional investment in them. The characters have been reduced to almost interchangeable moeblobs with not a wit of personality. The new characters, in particular the Materials that I loved in INNOCENT and wanted to know more about here, might as well not exist, since all they do is advance the plot. Granted, I only made it to about halfway this time, but man. What a disappointment.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Force is without doubt holding back the entire franchise. Or more like, the absolute refusal to cancel it and make a new story in it's place. Vivid wasn't suppossed to be the main continuation of the franchise. It was suppossed to be a lighthearted companion piece to Force, allowing fans to relax from the serious stakes and to see what the cast not involved in Force is doing. With Force not cancelled though, they can't skip it because if they did post Force stuff, it's either making Force irrelevant and a nothing happens story so fans don't need an unreleased story, or the continuation would feel weird as there are pieces of how we got to post Force missing.
    They need to either tell the story of Force or cancel it and make something else in it's place. But the current status quo is far from ideal.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    So I was going to play the 2019 "Sakura Wars" video a few days ago but I figured I'd better watch the tv anime first, even if it's not canon to the games themselves it'll still give me a rough idea of what the franchise is about in case the 2019 game expects me to have any prior knowledge and/or spoilers for the first game/anime.

And so a few days later and I've sucessfully watched the anime. First and foremost, I'm a big fan of the Taishō ascetic and as such the franchise combining it with steampunk was a really cool idea. The plot wasn't the most complicated and so it was the characters who had to carry the show who for the most part do a really good job. The main cast are a varied bunch and whilst several fall into the stereotypical archetypes, they all got some nice development and screentime. The same couldn't be said for the antagonists who were pretty one dimensional. The budget didn't quite allow for super high animation when it came to the mech battles, so instead they had the battles be short where every hit counts rather than drawn out DBZ style fights. Another thing was the pacing was a bit weird, the series starts very slice of life but once a time limit is introduced the plot wobbles a bit between trying to balance the two to finish character development whilst also trying to advance the story.

As an aside, I wanna give tribute to the unsung hero of the anime, Yuichi Kayama. Unlike the MC, he failed the test to join the anti-demon combat squad but did he give up? Nope, he went and became a goddamn ninja who despite being a muggle always manages to infiltrate the enemy bases for recon and whenever the heroes are stuck Kayama always shows up in his many ridiculous disguises to point them in the right direction - whether it's a ramen chef, a street merchant or a shoeshine boy. Low key, he was probably my favourite character.

I'm aware this is a game screenshot, but I couldn't find any from the anime

*Ahem*. Anyways, overall it was a pretty good anime. Would definitely recommend. <3
    Last edited by Skull; June 16th, 2020 at 07:15 PM.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    The TV anime is pretty awesome. As is the movie. And the ovas. Sakura Wars is just overall awesome.

the TV anime tells the story of the 1st game more coherently than the game, with some anime only tweaks and second game related retcons (for example yuichi kayama debuts in 2nd game but he was snuck into the anime). But ultimately Sakura wars is a charage with a sick setting, not a plotge.

Finished the 2001 Cyborg 009 show. Pretty good show. All the characters get their moment to shine and the wins aren't earned easily. OST is great and animation is also good most of the time, which is impressive for a 51 episode show.
    That said, the ending is episode 48. The last 3 episodes are like an OVA teasing the God's War arc which Ishinomori never got to finish. Seems it was after the anime that the arc'd be put into manga based on Ishinomori's notes. Even if it ends on a cliffhanger, it's nice to see their new powers animated if you take it as a fanservice moment
    Either way, I've always wanted to watch this show and I don't regret having watched it.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

love warrior <3 world-0 the god of world-0's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if I should give Amazons a chance. On one hand, it's literally the last Heisei Kamen Rider seasons that I haven't watched a single episode. But on the other hand, I really can't handle gore.

here is a list of my servant sheets(new and improved format for my servant sheets)

Come explore the White Library, and reach the bottom of this Abyss
    Fate / White Memoria

Blog Entries
    Do it. Hands down one of the best Heisei series. <3
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    What the fuck, Chainsaw Man? Fucking Oh!Great is taking notes on shark jumping after this (+the previous) chapter.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Blog Entries
    Finished Magi season 2 so I've been watching the prequel Adventures Of Sinbad lately. Have to say, it feels like this show lives up to Magi's promise of adventure way more than the original. For all that Dungeons opened the door to all sorts of Indiana Jones-style gallivanting, most of the series was involved with more political conflicts with relatively little straight-up adventuring. (Post season 1, Dungeons stop playing a direct role in the plot at all).

Not saying that's a bad thing at all, the Magnostadt arc in particular in season 2 managed to be a quite nuanced take on prejudice and cycles of hatred coming from a Shonen manga and Dungeon-delving could get boring after a while if that was all the series amounted to. But it is nice to have a spinoff focusing on them a bit more given they're ostensibly one of the major "hooks" of the series.

It helps that Sinbad is a really fun lead. He's clever and rascally enough to set him apart from the usual Shonen hero with big dreams, while still being unquestionably easy to root for. I'm curious if this series will show how he halfway fell into depravity though, given that's presumably one of the major points of his character-arc. Sad to think the idealistic, innocent young boy who dreamed of becoming king to liberate the world ended up becoming the sly, devious king whose even willing to manipulate his closest friends to fulfill his goals.