Page 381 of 441 FirstFirst ... 281331371376379380381382383386391431 ... LastLast
Results 7,601 to 7,620 of 8802

Thread: What are you reading/watching? AKA Anime/Manga General

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Gleipnir has so many issues, what's one more?
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

I fnished Bestia Volume 2. I don't understand why it's ending with the third volume when it seems like it just started, I really like it. I want to see more Cryptids and more of the characters.

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Volume 19:
    Spoiler:
    I can't believe that Shinobu planned on sacrificing her life to kill Doma the entire time. But her sacrifice did give Kanao and Inosuke the opportunity to kill him... It's just a real shame that it had to happen like that.
    Last edited by Laserman; December 23rd, 2020 at 09:55 AM.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So for my normal Christmas Eve drunken anime marathon I choose Gunbuster. It was going to be Gunbuster and Diebuster, but I started too late, so #2 will be probably withing the next few days instead. So some thoughts:

- Running drills in the mechs doesn't seem as absurd to me as before I watched Gundam. getting to know basic movements is important. (although jump rope just seems excessive.)
    - Holy shit. That's just the EFSF logo upside down isn't it?! Anno's Gundam love really shines thorugh more here than in Eva.
    -I forgot they set up the time dilation because of light speed so soon. Episode 2, which lets Diebuster episode 6 make sense.
    - Wow the girls seem way more flippant than the men about actual battle. Guys :huddled silent waiting for missing comrades, Girls: Damn is she sleeping with the instructor?
    - Oh drink machine-kun, Anno loves to use you as the psychological councilor in all his show doesn't he?
    - Wait a minute, is Coach just Master Miller from Metal Gear? Aviators covering an eye injury, needs a full arm cane to walk, military dress. Paranoia is at like 10% of Millers though.
    -Oh Smith, ypu're basically the proto-Shrike team aren't you? Only get five minutes set up and then dead. At least you're death isn't vividly depicted though.
    - FUCK YEAH, GUNBUSTER! YOU CROSS THOSE MOTHERFUCKING ARMS!
    -Oops, really fucked up there Noriko. Maybe a bit less posing an d a bit more disintegrating flagships with a single touch, yeah?
    -Non-story aside: this ED really reminds me of the Irresponsible Captain Taylor English OP. "We may be off the map, but stay on course.." probably the general 80's of it (but then again Taylor was '93).
    - Wow three fights and ten years gone on earth. I remember a trashy Sci-fi from from when I was younger where they used the 'light speed=time dilation' thing and once a WW2 officer got back to earth from an abduction it was the 22nd century with psychics and minotaurs.
    -Wait she has a Van Halen poster in the room?! I wonder if anyone told her about Sammy Hager?
    -Literally how do you run an army when the most senior people either only have one mission under their belts via time dilation and are 50 years old but only have the experience of a 25 year old, or are old hands who have never seen combat?
    -I think the most unrealistic bit of this whole series is the fact that Noriko and Jung have the whole beach to themselves when the later gives up on jumping Miller's bones.
    -Noriko. Why are you surprised the guy you found collapsed in a shit ton of his own blood might not survive until you get back? Everyone like sto say she's proto-Shinji, but she's really much closer to Proto-Simon.
    -Oh hey, Onee-sama is breaking down about hr highschool teacher crush on 12-25. Apropos.
    -And as usual the solution to depression is two schoolgirls "combining". Goddamn it Japan.
    -Crossed arms are fucking baller though.
    -Also how early stage Gainax managed to make enough unique Space Monster designs so it doesn't look repetitive when they do the 'about to be destroyed' panning shot.
    -THAT BLACK HOLE IS VISIBLE FRO EARTH??!! THEY SAID JUPITER,BUT WHAT THE HELL? HOW CLOSE WERE THEY ACTUALLY? SECOND MOON OF JUPITER? OR JUST BIG ENOUGH TO BE JUPITER V2?
    -AH SHIT, BLACK AND WHTIE IS HERE. THINGS ARE ABOUT TO GO DOWN!
    - These years would be a lot more effective if I was paying attention to them throughout. even on my 3rd(?) go around, it would be a lot eaiser to just chuck in a 'Ten Years Later'
    -Oh No! New Coach won't be back for a while! *cue entire Diebuster in the meantime*
    -I can't imagine how Noriko feels when for her like a year has past total thoughout the series, and she goes from moving sidwalks on ships to floating platforms. Can you imagine going from 2000 tech to today in like two weeks? We'd be all like "whole desktop's in a single cell phone that's not the size a brick? Bullshit."
    -All the time dilation reunions in the B&W sections make me wonder just how old her dad was every time he came back for Noriko's birthday. He couldn't have gone to far to make it back every year, could he?
    -Wait, The centrepice of thier giant fuck off bomb is Jupiter's core? You'd think they would mention this later in Diebuster where it's all about the moon of Jupiter that turns out to be space monster. Unless I missed that part too...
    -Okay gonna get really fucking nitpicky here for a minute. Why Schwartzchild? That's mixing two different languages in one phase. Either go Black Child or Schwartzkinder. Damn, drunk me fixates on the wierdest shit...
    -Goddamn violins. I'm not tearing up, you're tearing up, dammit. :'(
    -Of course she has to have her tit hanging out at the cliamax. Gainax need to build that rep from somewhere.
    -'12,000years later' beats the hell out of 'To you, 1,000 years in the furture'.

Overall, give this a proper english Netflix release not just a redo of Eva.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    Schwartzchild is the name of a real scientist. No language mixing in here
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Really?

Huh. German physicist, contemporary of Einstein.

Makes me feel better about the anime, but now I'm pissed off at this real guys name for not making sense.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So Diebuster thoughts:

-I always remember Diebuster as proto-FLCL in my head, mostly from the giant robots summoned by forehead hole, but there's also a bunch of Gurren Lagann in there too.
    -You know, I don't remember where these new space monsters come from
    -Yikes some of that CG on Dix-Neuf is blatant
    -Oh Gainax, gratuitous nudity in episode 1? Are you even trying any more?
    -FUCK YEAH, GROOVIN' MAGIC!
    -Huh, how did the human military go from gender equality in Gunbuster, to male only ships in Diebuster? Sure it's been 12 millennia, but still...
    -Ah here comes the FLCL, Robots are for kids, grow up and actually help in the military.
    -Wow this is just the Third Angel all over again. Only Gendo cares and the guy who looks like Gendo is the the Uniform.
    -I just realized that Nono's "Hard Work and Guts" catchphase is probably something her creator put in since it was his catchphrase in the shorts.
    -Wow, no wonder they're at machine 66 if this is how they're being treated
    -Whoops they're at 90, and come packaged like an action figure
    -Wait, the city they're on is the Excelion right?
    -Switch off your marker, duel me V2. Only lacking a hot evil redhead bisexual russian.
    -Minus. one. trillion. degrees.
    -It's super cool looking and all but still... Minus one trillion?
    -I do like how there's way more variety in the mechs this go around. That said maybe don't make a freezeray that needs to be tennis smashed?
    -Diebuster feels way more episodic than Gunbuster. Maybe becasue the sense of urgency was everywhere in that one because of the war, while Diebuster is a stable situation they're slowly changing.
    -Oh Nono, always wanting her own Buster Machine.
    -Fear the Old Blood, especially on a heart shaped table.
    -Makes you wonder though, If being a Topless is analogous to being a child/innocent, what does it mean to consume you're enemy to remain a child? We already have the mechanic who still works with Topless even though he's aged out, as the man-child. Is it drugs? Is Diebuster a giant anti-drug PSA?
    -You know you're sad when you're rival is closer to you're best friend then you are.
    -And that's why you don't try to resurrect an Elder God
    -Just an aside while everyone is quite from the genocide, this OST is AMAZING. the Gunbuster themes, with modern twists. *chef's kiss*
    -NONO'S SO FUCKING COOL
    -Is Nono just robo Hachiko? Waiting at the edge of the solar system for 12 thousand years for her master to come home?
    -It's a bit weird how these two shows have such opposite messages even though they're direct sequels. Gunbuster is all about the horrors of war and pushing through it together to create a better future for everyone, and Diebuster is about how if left to their own devices humans will fuck everything up when someone gets too greedy and ruins it for everyone else
    -Oh hey, throwing a core of a Jupiter at space monsters. It's like poetry, it rhymes.
    -Wow, I know why Nono decided to get the hell out of there instead of kamikaze-ing the Space Monster, but she could have at least said something, rather than leave her suicidal friend all alone.
    -I get that it's symbolism and all that they're sacrificing Earth to save Humanity, but wouldn't a larger planet have better effectiveness as a weapon?
    -How the fuck is asshole rapist allowed in the military?
    -Oh shit one of the Buster's has a giant Drill projectile
    -Six episodes in and we finally have a female in the proper military?
    -"Ultimate Special Assault Mass Weapon for the Battle on the Mainland, Earth" Gotta love it.
    -Then stick a giant buzzsaw on it
    -Man, Blondie never gets tired of being wrong, does he?
    -Super Nono really, REALLY looks like some Asuka/Unit 02 fusion fanart I've seen.
    -Welcome Back. Gets me every time.

In the end Diebuster has higher highs and a more fun MC, but Gunbuster is the better story overall.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    So for my normal Christmas Eve drunken anime marathon I choose Gunbuster. It was going to be Gunbuster and Diebuster, but I started too late, so #2 will be probably withing the next few days instead. So some thoughts:

- Running drills in the mechs doesn't seem as absurd to me as before I watched Gundam. getting to know basic movements is important. (although jump rope just seems excessive.)
    - Holy shit. That's just the EFSF logo upside down isn't it?! Anno's Gundam love really shines thorugh more here than in Eva.
    -I forgot they set up the time dilation because of light speed so soon. Episode 2, which lets Diebuster episode 6 make sense.
    - Wow the girls seem way more flippant than the men about actual battle. Guys :huddled silent waiting for missing comrades, Girls: Damn is she sleeping with the instructor?
    - Oh drink machine-kun, Anno loves to use you as the psychological councilor in all his show doesn't he?
    - Wait a minute, is Coach just Master Miller from Metal Gear? Aviators covering an eye injury, needs a full arm cane to walk, military dress. Paranoia is at like 10% of Millers though.
    -Oh Smith, ypu're basically the proto-Shrike team aren't you? Only get five minutes set up and then dead. At least you're death isn't vividly depicted though.
    - FUCK YEAH, GUNBUSTER! YOU CROSS THOSE MOTHERFUCKING ARMS!
    -Oops, really fucked up there Noriko. Maybe a bit less posing an d a bit more disintegrating flagships with a single touch, yeah?
    -Non-story aside: this ED really reminds me of the Irresponsible Captain Taylor English OP. "We may be off the map, but stay on course.." probably the general 80's of it (but then again Taylor was '93).
    - Wow three fights and ten years gone on earth. I remember a trashy Sci-fi from from when I was younger where they used the 'light speed=time dilation' thing and once a WW2 officer got back to earth from an abduction it was the 22nd century with psychics and minotaurs.
    -Wait she has a Van Halen poster in the room?! I wonder if anyone told her about Sammy Hager?
    -Literally how do you run an army when the most senior people either only have one mission under their belts via time dilation and are 50 years old but only have the experience of a 25 year old, or are old hands who have never seen combat?
    -I think the most unrealistic bit of this whole series is the fact that Noriko and Jung have the whole beach to themselves when the later gives up on jumping Miller's bones.
    -Noriko. Why are you surprised the guy you found collapsed in a shit ton of his own blood might not survive until you get back? Everyone like sto say she's proto-Shinji, but she's really much closer to Proto-Simon.
    -Oh hey, Onee-sama is breaking down about hr highschool teacher crush on 12-25. Apropos.
    -And as usual the solution to depression is two schoolgirls "combining". Goddamn it Japan.
    -Crossed arms are fucking baller though.
    -Also how early stage Gainax managed to make enough unique Space Monster designs so it doesn't look repetitive when they do the 'about to be destroyed' panning shot.
    -THAT BLACK HOLE IS VISIBLE FRO EARTH??!! THEY SAID JUPITER,BUT WHAT THE HELL? HOW CLOSE WERE THEY ACTUALLY? SECOND MOON OF JUPITER? OR JUST BIG ENOUGH TO BE JUPITER V2?
    -AH SHIT, BLACK AND WHTIE IS HERE. THINGS ARE ABOUT TO GO DOWN!
    - These years would be a lot more effective if I was paying attention to them throughout. even on my 3rd(?) go around, it would be a lot eaiser to just chuck in a 'Ten Years Later'
    -Oh No! New Coach won't be back for a while! *cue entire Diebuster in the meantime*
    -I can't imagine how Noriko feels when for her like a year has past total thoughout the series, and she goes from moving sidwalks on ships to floating platforms. Can you imagine going from 2000 tech to today in like two weeks? We'd be all like "whole desktop's in a single cell phone that's not the size a brick? Bullshit."
    -All the time dilation reunions in the B&W sections make me wonder just how old her dad was every time he came back for Noriko's birthday. He couldn't have gone to far to make it back every year, could he?
    -Wait, The centrepice of thier giant fuck off bomb is Jupiter's core? You'd think they would mention this later in Diebuster where it's all about the moon of Jupiter that turns out to be space monster. Unless I missed that part too...
    -Okay gonna get really fucking nitpicky here for a minute. Why Schwartzchild? That's mixing two different languages in one phase. Either go Black Child or Schwartzkinder. Damn, drunk me fixates on the wierdest shit...
    -Goddamn violins. I'm not tearing up, you're tearing up, dammit. :'(
    -Of course she has to have her tit hanging out at the cliamax. Gainax need to build that rep from somewhere.
    -'12,000years later' beats the hell out of 'To you, 1,000 years in the furture'.

Overall, give this a proper english Netflix release not just a redo of Eva.
    Diebuster was fun, but it's more of a homage to Gunbuster than a proper sequel. At least that's how I rationalized... everything.

- - - Updated - - -

Also Diebuster was just weird at points.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Just Finished watching the 3 Code Geass recap movies. It's amazing 10+ years later I still l can't get over how dumb the execution of the Euphinator incident is. I just can't wrap my head around why of all things Lelouch could have joke with Euphiemia about, it just happened to fall on "Kill the Japanese".

Also, it's amazing that they went out of their way to have Shirley survive only for it to mean fuck all.

Quote Originally Posted by Solomos View Post
    Just Finished watching the 3 Code Geass recap movies. It's amazing 10+ years later I still l can't get over how dumb the execution of the Euphinator incident is. I just can't wrap my head around why of all things Lelouch could have joke with Euphiemia about, it just happened to fall on "Kill the Japanese".

Also, it's amazing that they went out of their way to have Shirley survive only for it to mean fuck all.
    That's the big difference? And it didn't even change anything or any one's actions? As for that, yeah, I wish things could have turned out differently too.

Digimon Adventure Episode 52: Piedmon is favorite out of the Dark Masters and might be my favorite Digimon villain from the first season. I can't believe he turned most of the Digidestined and their Digimon into keychains. But just like with Devimon, just when it seemed all hope was lost, TK came through and Angemon digivolved into MagnaAngemon. I was wondering when he would show up and he showed up in a big way. Then Mimi and Joe along with the other Digimon they helped on their journey arrived and beat Piedmon for good.
    Last edited by Laserman; December 29th, 2020 at 10:14 AM.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    Been reading Hige o Soru lately (the LN), pretty sweet with an occasional reminder of bitterness.
    Last edited by Spartacus; December 29th, 2020 at 08:58 PM.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    oh lol that manga

Kouhai has been, is, and will be robbed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    ah rip best girl always lose lol

When the clock strikes midnight... Means it's a new day Jeanne. Strange_One's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    485,902,641/Vincent
    Blog Entries
    Taishi Tsutsui - a guy to decided to all the endings. That was a fun ride without a crash or bitter end. How rare for a manga.
    BEHOLD! THE SIG OF GOLDEN TRUTH! Pillaged from McJon, Tsukikan et al.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    unless you were a rizu man
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman View Post
    That's the big difference? And it didn't even change anything or any one's actions? As for that, yeah, I wish things could have turned out differently too.

Digimon Adventure Episode 52: Piedmon is favorite out of the Dark Masters and might be my favorite Digimon villain from the first season. I can't believe he turned most of the Digidestined and their Digimon into keychains. But just like with Devimon, just when it seemed all hope was lost, TK came through and Angemon digivolved into MagnaAngemon. I was wondering when he would show up and he showed up in a big way. Then Mimi and Joe along with the other Digimon they helped on their journey arrived and beat Piedmon for good.
    Yeah Shirley living and Mao no existing are the two biggest differences between the Recaps and the original to me. There are of course more changes ( such as trying to account for all of the spin-offs) but they're comparatively minor or used to save time.

What's even more dumb is that Shirley's role in Lelouch of the Resurrection is so minor and could have been filled by almost literally anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Solomos View Post
    Yeah Shirley living and Mao no existing are the two biggest differences between the Recaps and the original to me. There are of course more changes ( such as trying to account for all of the spin-offs) but they're comparatively minor or used to save time.
    They cut out Mao too? Now that I didn't know about.
    What's even more dumb is that Shirley's role in Lelouch of the Resurrection is so minor and could have been filled by almost literally anyone.
    Man, that's a shame.

Digimon Adventure Episode 53:
    Me thinking about the other things the kids are in: Why don't the kids have their Crest and Tags?

Apocalymon destroys them.

Me: Ah, that's why.

That's also a shame because I really liked them. It took them being turned into pure data for them to realize that the power to make their Digimon digivolve to the Ultimate and Mega level never truly came from their crests, it came from them. They talked about what they learned on their adventure and put themselves back together with their Digimon fully digivolved to face Apocalymon again. The digivolution sequences all happening also made me realize why they probably made Warp Digivolving the way it was... It's a lot faster, but it's still awesome. I know there's more, but a part of me doesn't want to watch the last episode.
    Last edited by Laserman; December 31st, 2020 at 12:24 PM.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I recently watched the three Mobile Suit Gundam movies and I'm... Severely disappointed and less than enthusiastic about continuing with the franchise.

I've heard nothing but praise for these, as well as the assurance that they are perfectly fine replacements for the original series, but I can't imagine that is true after finishing them.

The first movie was great. I was deeply invested in Amuro's struggles and Char's quest for revenge. Kai was setup for a good arc and I cared about the entire Gundam crew. The only criticisms I can give are due to the effect of condensing part of a series into a movie, but even those are minor complaints.

Movie 2 was an absolute drag. Amuro's struggles with war and murder, which to be honest, already seemed pretty much resolved by the end of the last movie, are now completely put aside. The focus shifts to his growing ego and desire to be stronger, which are really shitty follow-ups to what was discussed in the first movie. The initial themes are still there, but never in focus except for the scenes around the three major deaths.
    Char is nowhere to be seen for the majority of the movie. Kai getting his spotlight, even if short-lived, was the highlight of the movie, and a very welcome moment that goes back to focus on the horrors of war. Sayla struggling to find and talk to her brother is also great.
    Dialogue is much worse than the first movie and people just can't stop talking about these newtypes. Amuro and Sayla are now psychic... Apparently... For some reason... Even though they've displayed nothing of the sort at all. I simply can't see why the possibility of them being newtypes if even being brought up.

Movie 3 is an absolute mess. Amuro is now a fully fledged psychic, the next level of human evolution, and I couldn't care less.
    Char is back but doesn't even seem like the same character, his pretty straightforward goals are now unfocused and confusing, seemingly replaced by the desire to fight to free the superior race from war... I guess? He decides to go back to revenge for a bit in the end though.
    The Gundam crew might as well not exist anymore. They're just there for exposition and more newtype discussion, except for that one scene where Mirai is in love with the new guy somehow, even though previously we had setup a triangle between her, her fiancee and Bright... Alright then...
    Amuro's father is fucking alive somehow in a series of completely pointless scenes. Lalah comes and goes and the movie somehow thinks I should care about the supposed deep connection between her and Amuro.
    The movie was also a mess structure-wise. The cuts made to adapt this into a movie are now obvious and annoying. I always feel like I'm missing context and information.

They clearly tried to shift the focus to the struggle to understand and connect to the people on the other side of the war, but it's all just thrown around haphazardly. The newtypes are supposed to support this but it all just doesn't work.

Some of the flaws can definitely be attributed to content cut from the movies, but most of it seems to have been there from the start. Huge disappointment.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    The movies are really bad, they completely miss the point of the setting that's mostly found in the details of the worldbuilding. I have no idea who told you that they are adequate replacements.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, at least you didn't watch the Zeta ones.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Like... Everyone. I'm honestly shocked. I searched a lot about how to start Gundam and stuff and the worst thing I read about them was that they were okay.

I even know about how bad the Zeta movies are... It was said by the same people that endorsed this trilogy lol

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Never saw the movies myself so I cant say much about them, but I did go through the OG series. It was few years ago so some of it might be wrong but:

Char does pretty much disappear for a lot of the middle where they're on Earth after Zabi #1 gets goaded into killing himself.

Amuro being a newtype doesn't get mentioned until pretty much the very end of the series, it's basically a "you know all that badass shit you've been doing? this is why" thing, to which Amuro basically responds "yeah, but I still want to stab you with this sword."

Amuro's dad is still dead AFAIK.

Layla is like a one episode side story they use to introduce the concept of newtypes, and is just as clunky as it sounds.

Char is still 100% about his revenge, (and keeping Sayla safe, their sit down is one of my favourite episodes of the series), sounds like they were trying to set up his character swings in Zeta/Counterattack beforehand.

The Mirai thing actually sounds pretty faithful. Although from what I remember she was just about her traitor fiance for a lot of the show, and then brash new guy showed up and died in what I think was the same episode, but the Noa bit was never there. They worked together, fought a war together, but that was about it.