Page 397 of 441 FirstFirst ... 297347387392395396397398399402407 ... LastLast
Results 7,921 to 7,940 of 8802

Thread: What are you reading/watching? AKA Anime/Manga General

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    See, that's just stupid. In order for a story to be told, storyteller and audience need to share certain common values and axiomatic truths. You can't tell a story about the Trojan War without an understanding of monogamy, for example. Cherrypicking one of those and calling that a "take", a message conveyed from the author, when the author themselves isn't aware of it, is asinine.
    That's because that definition is wrong. "Take" is short for "takeaway" - a view, conclusion, or inspiration that the listener gets from hearing something. The etymology is pretty well documented.
    In usual fashion, though, the Twitteratti get the concept wrong and misuse the term (like 'literally').

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Anyway,
    I was looking for something to read today and came across The Hunters Guild: Red Hood.
    There are currently only 11 chapters translated. It is a Jump manga and I think this could be the next popular shounen manga.
    It's like D.Grayman but Brother's Grimm instead of Christianity.
    So...RWBY?
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toranth View Post
    That's because that definition is wrong. "Take" is short for "takeaway" - a view, conclusion, or inspiration that the listener gets from hearing something. The etymology is pretty well documented.
    In usual fashion, though, the Twitteratti get the concept wrong and misuse the term (like 'literally').
    It's not hard to imagine how the term slowly changed definitions because the word began to be used to describe the takeaway the author wanted the audience to get, and then it began to describe the argument that was being presented. Language just changes over time, nothing wrong with that.

- - - Updated - - -

The OG monster of the week Bleach was about the monstrous nature of grief and how to move on from the deaths of people close to you.
    How to put the dead to rest/SPIRITS ARE ALWAYS WITH YOU
    The other Arcs are like you say, a mess. Though I'm sure someone who who cares enough could put something together.

Anyway,
    I was looking for something to read today and came across The Hunters Guild: Red Hood.
    There are currently only 11 chapters translated. It is a Jump manga and I think this could be the next popular shounen manga.
    It's like D.Grayman but Brother's Grimm instead of Christianity.
    Some of that is still present in later Bleach, but it's definitely overtaken by the Japanese Spirit that the manga seems to run on.

Also, I should look into Red Hood, then.
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

'You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory' ResidentSeagull's Avatar
    A comprehensive guide to living in the Balkans: Step 1) Leave
    Let's just say that if you like Barghest's design, you'll LOVE the character designs in Red Hood.

Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    It's not hard to imagine how the term slowly changed definitions because the word began to be used to describe the takeaway the author wanted the audience to get, and then it began to describe the argument that was being presented. Language just changes over time, nothing wrong with that.
    “When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less." -- Sir Humpty Dumpty, Esq.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Red Hood has a lot of great panels and imagery, here's to hoping for its success.
    I'm still not sure where the premise is going, but then I only read the first three chapters when they were out. I need to catch up.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

“When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less." -- Sir Humpty Dumpty, Esq.
    Sorry, but that's just how language works, on a larger scale. Words mean what the people using them decide they mean, and whose definitions you trust is more a matter of who you think holds authority over our words. Of course, that doesn't mean we ignore precedent on how words were used or existing definitions, but we shouldn't just dismiss changes in meaning as a word being used "wrong". That's more than a bit elitist.

- - - Updated - - -

Binged Red Hood, and yes, I am liking it thus far, and as for art, the bit that stood out to me is the Cecil Rhodes imitation panel. I am so glad that guy got whooped and all his employees defected over for a more equal partnership. What an amazing rejection of capitalist logic.
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Sorry, but that's just how language works, on a larger scale. Words mean what the people using them decide they mean, and whose definitions you trust is more a matter of who you think holds authority over our words. Of course, that doesn't mean we ignore precedent on how words were used or existing definitions, but we shouldn't just dismiss changes in meaning as a word being used "wrong". That's more than a bit elitist.
    No, you are just using the word wrong. It's okay to admit you didn't actually have the meaning correct, you know. Trying to wax philosophical about linguistics when you don't even know the etymology in the first place is just silly.

No, you are just using the word wrong. It's okay to admit you didn't actually have the meaning correct, you know. Trying to wax philosophical about linguistics when you don't even know the etymology in the first place is just silly.
    No, not really, since the noun we're using is defined in Merriam-Webster as "a distinct or personal point of view, outlook, or assessment", which covers both ways we have used it. Of course, dictionary definitions, at least in English, only really record the consensus definition of words anyway.

Binged Red Hood, and yes, I am liking it thus far, and as for art, the bit that stood out to me is the Cecil Rhodes imitation panel. I am so glad that guy got whooped and all his employees defected over for a more equal partnership. What an amazing rejection of capitalist logic.
    I kinda got that it was less that and more 'Hey let's work with people that WON'T threaten us with violence to cooperate'.

Quote Originally Posted by ResidentSeagull View Post
    I kinda got that it was less that and more 'Hey let's work with people that WON'T threaten us with violence to cooperate'.
    That is an accurate reading, but it's also true that most capitalist relationships and contracts are built on some coercion and violence, even if that violence isn't always physical. Mosco is a hyper capitalist in every way, and he brought his employees under heel both through his greater physical power and with the promise of monetary compensation once he subdued them. It's very much like how actual employer-employee relations work, except with usually not as much physical violence. Merrio calmly rejects that logic and lets the erstwhile employees join him after taking down the boss not with any promise of monetary compensation, but rather with the promise that so long as they have each other's backs, they'll all pass. This is actual free association and an equal contract made.

That too yea.

No, not really, since the noun we're using is defined in Merriam-Webster as "a distinct or personal point of view, outlook, or assessment", which covers both ways we have used it. Of course, dictionary definitions, at least in English, only really record the consensus definition of words anyway.
    As amusing as it was to see you counter a mention of etymology be mentioning that words change meaning over time, I'm glad you finally looked up the word - although unsurprised you continue to misunderstand it.
    The word's meaning is your point of view or assessment of something else, not the author's message. Each person has their own take on a story or event. In other words, it means the exact opposite of what you claimed: that the 'take' was the message pushed by the author - nowhere in there is that idea supplied. MW's own example demonstrates that, and other dictionaries make it even more plain.

Seriously, the etymology is simple:
    In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the phrase "take away" was used in the UK to refer to food taken away from a restaurant - what Americans refer to as carry-out.
    In the 1920s, it began to be written as one word, take-away or takeaway.
    During WWII, the figurative usage was picked up by Americans stationed in the UK, to refer to non-corporeal things taken away from a meeting or gathering.
    By the 1960s, this usage had transferred back to the US business and military cultures.
    In the late 1980s, the shortened form of just 'take' was in use, and it became more common in the 2000s.

Nowhere in there was the idea that 'take' referred identical somethings pushed out from a central source - it was, always from the beginning, an idea of individuals acquiring their own thing.
    At least, unless you want to claim the Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology is wrong and you are right? I'll admit, my copy is about 10 years old - maybe your copy is more recent and you can tell me how the professionals have concluded that the word now has the opposite meaning? Until then, the consensus is squarely against you, however much you don't want to admit it. No matter how much you complain, you will not become correct, and 2+2 will never equal 22.

I mean, this whole thing about etymology just proves my point that a word's definition can and does change meaning over time depending on who uses it and in what context, but it's silly to think the word can't change more and that it's fossilized in its current form. Also, the way I use it is not far from how you use it since it simply refers to an author's perspective on certain issues and ideas through the medium of their work. A take isn't exclusive to consumers of a work, but also the producer, since they are giving their take on issues that matter to them via their creative works. I don't see your problem here, except that you think that language has stopped evolving in the present and will stay the way it is forever even when that's patently false.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Otherside Picnic's anime was shit.

Trust me, read the manga. It's a wholly different experience, it's actually scary, the art is fantastic, and there's a lot more detail.
    What the Strugatskys were really missing from their story was gay girls, and that's the most important thing.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    Isekai Shokudo done. Nice relaxing show. It does it's job well. Nothing special, but a nice watch still. I like how it builds it's world and lore through the perspectives of the different characters and their interactions. Looking foward to S2
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

I mean, this whole thing about etymology just proves my point that a word's definition can and does change meaning over time depending on who uses it and in what context, but it's silly to think the word can't change more and that it's fossilized in its current form. Also, the way I use it is not far from how you use it since it simply refers to an author's perspective on certain issues and ideas through the medium of their work. A take isn't exclusive to consumers of a work, but also the producer, since they are giving their take on issues that matter to them via their creative works. I don't see your problem here, except that you think that language has stopped evolving in the present and will stay the way it is forever even when that's patently false.
    You didn't even know what the word 'etymology' meant at the beginning of the thread, and now you are trying to lecture me on it? Misusing a word does not mean that the word's meaning has changed, it just means you misused the word.
    A lesson for you: Even though they sound the same, people that use "your" instead of "you're" are not at the forefront of linguistic evolution - they're just wrong.
    Even though it happens disturbingly often, people that use "literally" to mean "figuratively" are not at the forefront of linguistic evolution - they're just wrong.
    And people that use "take" to mean the message pushed by an author instead of the opinion of the reader are not at the forefront of linguistic evolution - they're just wrong.

When did I ever indicate I didn't know what etymology meant? I have no idea how you got that. As for your "literally" bugbear, you are literally wrong about the use of literally as a figurative intensifier/hyperbole. It's been done since at least Shakespeare, and the move against it was thanks to Ambrose Bierce saying he thought that was bad writing.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Entertaining as this has been, this is really starting to stretch "on-topic discussion" in this thread, guys.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Blog Entries
    The OG monster of the week Bleach was about the monstrous nature of grief and how to move on from the deaths of people close to you.
    How to put the dead to rest/SPIRITS ARE ALWAYS WITH YOU
    The other Arcs are like you say, a mess. Though I'm sure someone who who cares enough could put something together.
    I tried watching Bleach one time, long ago. Got about 80 episodes in until I said enough, and that the Bount arc was fucking shit. But it had such a good premise in the beginning, with such great potential. I wish Tite Kubo would just take the reins of a series as an artist and maybe a concept creator, because if there's one thing he's good at is drawing cool characters looking cool in fights. On god though, never let him handle anything else, it'll turn to shit faster than a Daybit thread.
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncake View Post
    I get this vague feeling from your posts that you're looking down on people who don't share your view, which is what it is, but at least take a moment to snort some common sense between those hits of pretension.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun
    Telling us that you're rich is not going to make anyone stop laughing at you for believing in self-insert NTR.
    Quote Originally Posted by ResidentSeagull View Post
    You seriously underestimate the human potential for wanting to fuck stuff, my dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan
    Welcome to BL, new user. Don't forget to fate/stay mad