Page 3 of 94 FirstFirst 1234581353 ... LastLast

Thread: Kayneth Archibald El-Melloi - Second Chances (Would you do better?)

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Diarmuid ;_;
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    Consider this fast response an apology for cancelling my other Kayneth, they may not all be as quick as this though:

Once the plane had finished landing the passengers began to unload from their long and weary flight from Europe and into the busy terminal, Kayneth included.

Though he had originally intended to go alone, his almost forceful fiance insisted she come as well. Not one to argue against her, he had little choice but to agree with her and together they set off, catalyst in hand. The War was set to begin in a weeks time and his preparations were almost complete.

Though most would think his clothes were perhaps a bit eccentric, the aura he gave off made most people turn their heads in fear much to his amusement. “Hmph, peasants...”

His fiance on the other hand was already snapping her fingers ordering the two chauffeurs that had accompanied them on their journey.

“You there, grab our bags and make it quick!” Her gaze was strong and demeaning causing the man as large as he to only mutter a small confirmation before quickly taking off towards their luggage.

The other chauffeur that followed behind was the next to meet her gaze. Even if it was only for a moment she took no pause in ordering him around. “Well!? What are you doing standing around? Are you going to show us to our transportation or not!?”

“O-of course m-mam.” And he quickly set off as well to find their scheduled limousine. Silently he prayed to himself that it was not a second late lest he take her full scorn.

Luckily for him their transportation was precisely on schedule as the vehicle pulled up right as they walked to the curb. The driver quickly getting out to help them into their seats. Finally they were off to their destination. The Hyatt Hotel.

Inside the vehicle the mood of the two passengers were radically different, Kayneth ever the optimist couldn't be happier despite his fatigue from the plane flight he couldn't help but hold a small grin as he glanced at his fiance.

“The preparations are all but complete, my dear. We need only to finish the final ones ourselves.”

Sola on the other hand couldn't be looking possibly look any more annoyed and bitter about this whole situation. “Of course.” Was the only reply she could manage to give before becoming silent once more.

Even so, Kayneth couldn't help but catch Sola's radically different mood. Genuinely worried his words were only out of concern. “Is something bothering you? You seem to be bothered by something. If there's something wrong please tell me.”

“No... Nothing's wrong, I am just a little tired from the long trip, that's all.” Her final two words put an end to any conversation from that point on. She knew that this was all for the good of her family but she still couldn't help but be disappointed to the whole situation. It didn't matter whether or not they won in the end she knew that deep down she still could not fill the emptiness that plagued her heart.

Finally the limousine pulled up to the hotel revealing what would soon become their base of operations for the next month and a half.

The driver quickly got out and let the two out, just as the bellhop standing nearby quickly went to take their bags.

The didn't even bother checking in as the arrangements had been made before hand even as they entered the elevator the bellhop beginning to get in before meeting the steely glaze of Sola and quickly taking the other elevator next to them.

Their base was at the very top on the 42nd floor, their room the farthest down the hallway, arriving just behind them the poor bellhop took all that he could hold and quickly ran up ahead of them showing them to their room and taking their bags inside. After such he held out his hand expectantly only to receive a sharp comment from Sola.

“We have no need of any further assistance, you can leave now.” Her words were like daggers all the more so as the door slammed in front of his face the two leaving him empty handed.

“At least we have arrived! My dear why don't you rest until the evening. Leave the early preparations to me.”

Sola ever the bitter one only shrugged before taking her bags and heading off in the opposite direction towards her room. Not even bothering to ask she had quite made sure that they were going to be staying separate rooms.

And then Kayneth was alone. Despite his good mood he still couldn't help but feel a tinge of bitterness about the fact that one of his very own students had stolen his original artifact, a small reddish piece a cloth that used to belong to a great commander.

“Waver Velvet... I shall teach him the error of his ways. Oh yes, by the end of things I will show him what it means to cross me. But first my preparations, where to begin...”

Using the vast amount of resources he had gathered over the years Kayneth quickly managed to obtain a second artifact but not before feeling the pressure of losing such a valuable thing to such a lowly student.

He had a few things already planned with the materials already shipped days ahead. He could simply begin his work on his fortress or perhaps he should begin looking into his opponents? Though he did feel this tactic was a bit unnecessary he was also a man of research and it was best to know all the odds before experimenting. Kayneth was no fool after all.

Kayneth's week before the Grail War should consist of...

1. working on his fortifications.
    2. gathering intel.
    3. write in. (Got a better idea? Tell me about it and if it gets the most votes I'll use it instead!)

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    3) Spending long nights by the penthouse fireplace with Volumen-tan.

2) working on his fortifications.

On second thought, knowing about your enemies only gets you so far without a strong defense.
    Last edited by Rafflesiac; April 10th, 2014 at 11:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    Just so you know the more intel he has the lower the amount of fortifications he will receive.

1) Make inquiries to your friends / connections in the Clock Tower about the Einzberns, Matous, and Tohsakas. You already know about Waver. Try to see who else -- if anyone -- you can find, but you should at least uncover as much as Tokiomi did about the founding families. Telecommute from Fuyuki to do this, obviously.

2) I assume you already have familiars to scout everything. (If not, why?!?). Send 'em out.

3) The hotel is a bad idea, not only because of the explosion risk (which canon Kayneth probably wouldn't know about) but because it's in a public place. It's really inconvenient. I recommend relocating to the Temple after hypnotizing the local priest, since:

* It's isolated.
    * It's on a leyline, which might help power your artifacts.
    * It's one of the Grail materialization points. Near the end, your enemies will be FORCED to attack through your prepared defenses.

4) Only if you can do it quietly --> Either hypnotize (if you're that good at it) or kill-and-turn-into-Familiars a few key personnel at the hospitals and police stations. You'll have extra investigative resources that way, and you'll also know about / be able to pull the plug on any banged-up Masters that the local ambulances "accidentally" rescue.

5) I'd normally recommend hiring Freelancers, but it's too OOC for Kayneth, so I won't.

6) Make sure you have a giant library of mythology and history books. Including Eastern ones.
    Last edited by Zalgo Jenkins; April 10th, 2014 at 11:59 PM.

祖 Ancestor
    What servant did you choose? Part of me wants to see lancer just see a more similar scenario going better.
    I also choose Gathering Intel. If possible to make it so Sola feels like he's doing something how about have her do some basic fortification he can improve later. Gotta use all of those resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Milbunk View Post
    Just so you know the more intel he has the lower the amount of fortifications he will receive.
    In that case, I'd recommend scramming to the Temple (or an easily-fortified, isolated, single-story house in the European quarter) and turtling like there's no tomorrow. You can make inquiries after you're safe and you've summoned.

Kayneth is not a guy who improvises well. We need to give him some stability before going after people.

Oh, and:

7) Contact your academic research assistants from the Clock Tower. Don't waste time gathering intel yet (since it will apparently take time away from fortification), but put them on standby.

8) Do the same thing for your contacts at the Clock Tower. Shouldn't take very long. Just a quick, "I may have questions for you in a day or two. Be ready and think about what you want in return, 'kay?"

Not gathering intel per se, so it probably won't cost us any time. Just gearing up to do it later (after fortifying) more efficiently. Streamline the operation so that we don't have to make this sort of tradeoff choice again.
    Last edited by Zalgo Jenkins; April 11th, 2014 at 12:06 AM.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    While it would be smart to go to the Temple, I can't really see him doing it. The guy hates Japan, and the place isn't anywhere near fitting for a guy like him to rest. I'm betting he initially chose the hotel just because he could get the presidential suite and relax in style.

Blog Entries
    Hmm I like your ideas I really do, however Zalgo they just seem a bit too OOC for Kayneth as a character. I can't really see him dumping all his work on the hotel to suddenly move to the temple for no apparent reason.

Also as for his Servant well, you'll see in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Milbunk View Post
    Hmm I like your ideas I really do, however Zalgo they just seem a bit too OOC for Kayneth as a character. I can't really see him dumping all his work on the hotel to suddenly move to the temple for no apparent reason.

Also as for his Servant well, you'll see in time.
    To be fair, I did recommend avoiding the hotel right from the get-go and immediately looking for European housing.

But if he's already set up, I'll withdraw the Temple suggestion.
    Last edited by Zalgo Jenkins; April 11th, 2014 at 12:13 AM.

3. Woo Sola for a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantia View Post
    Time to go to the holodeck! *Rams head up Sakura's vagina*

Quote Originally Posted by Bloble View Post
    While it would be smart to go to the Temple, I can't really see him doing it. The guy hates Japan, and the place isn't anywhere near fitting for a guy like him to rest. I'm betting he initially chose the hotel just because he could get the presidential suite and relax in style.
    Didn't he say that he disliked Japan's loss of traditionalism in the "modern" quarter, rather than Japanese architecture per se? He might actually appreciate an old architecture.

I do see your point, though, which is why I recommended a European residence as an alternative.

(But since he's already set up, all of this is probably moot. Ah, well.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kuradora View Post
    3. Woo Sola for a week.
    Do remember that these suggestions are being filtered through Kayneth's mind.

I foresee long lectures about his illustrious ancestors ahead. Perhaps with diagrams and a wooden pointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalgo Jenkins View Post
    Do remember that these suggestions are being filtered through Kayneth's mind.

I foresee long lectures about his illustrious ancestors ahead. Perhaps with diagrams and a wooden pointer.
    I would enjoy the levity, though my suggestion wasn't entirely serious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantia View Post
    Time to go to the holodeck! *Rams head up Sakura's vagina*

Mate, that's noice as fuck! Vagrant's Avatar
    Wherever my body is, my heart is still in Straya, cunt
    Blog Entries
    Fortifications worked so well last time. As long as Kiritsugu is about most fortifications are pointless. I'm all for taking the Temple though, it worked well for Medea.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuradora View Post
    I would enjoy the levity, though my suggestion wasn't entirely serious.
    I know you were partly joking, but the image of Kayneth handing a "Why You Should Love Me" dissertation was irresistible.

Blog Entries
    If Kayneth has to win by actually acting like himself I foresee many, many Bad Ends ahead of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
    I'm all for taking the Temple though, it worked well for Medea.
    Too late, apparently. My fortification recommendations were predicated on moving to safer ground, so I'm not sure exactly where to go from here.

Intel will probably give Kayneth a hint that he really needs to think about his enemies' tactics. So that's probably an avenue to explore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
    If Kayneth has to win by actually acting like himself I foresee many, many Bad Ends ahead of us.
    It's an exciting challenge to think about how, though...

Okay, I'm reversing my earlier stance. We need research at this point, since Kayneth won't recognize the danger to his base until Kerry dynamites it.

Fortunately, being an arrogant Magus professor -- and thinking like one -- has a few advantages as well.

(1) Mobilize the entire El-Melloi family and extended network of clients/retainers/vassals...and of course, Clock Tower colleagues / flunkies. Get them all gathering information on the other Masters.

(2) Mobilize whatever equivalent to research assistants, TAs, and grad students Kayneth teaches. They will sit in the Clock Tower library for the duration of the War, or else face the wrath of a really, really vicious thesis adviser.

--> Sola will coordinate the students, which gives her something to do and keeps her from scheming too much. She'll feed all of the information we've discovered about enemy Servants to our research team. They'll hit the books and figure out who the Servants are.

(3) Ask Sola what she wants out of the marriage, and how we can make it work given our respective issues. Keep the tone analytical, which is pretty much the only way Kayneth could do it anyway. Kayneth does love her in his own emotionally vacant way, and I think he recognized that she didn't like him much. A little exchange of views might help if we keep it formal and reasonable. (Read: Polite, over-intellectualized, and detached).

(It could make everything worse, but somehow I doubt it. Sola should have experience with borderline-robotic, unemotional magi by now, since she comes from a family of them.)

(4) Send out the ten/dozens of Wraith familiars as scouts as well while we're at it (assuming they won't chow down on random civilians). Give them orders to flee rather than engage if they spot anything.
    --> Any non-Wraith familiars that we have should do the same thing.

(5) How big are the mana furnaces? If they're small and convenient enough, keep one on your person at all times. Can't be too careful.
    Last edited by Zalgo Jenkins; April 11th, 2014 at 12:49 AM.

Blog Entries
    Kayneth's week before the Grail War should consist of...

1. working on his fortifications.
    2. gathering intel.
    3. write in. (Got a better idea? Tell me about it and if it gets the most votes I'll use it instead!)

Find out what you can about the competition beyond "The three founding families and that brat, Waver" so you can take the fight to them when the time is right (and not die horribly for having underestimated their pet hitman). All the fortifications in the world won't matter if someone drew a Servant who naturally trumps your own. Imagine a dragon-blooded Servant going up against the dragon-smiting Arondight and what a rude awakening that would be.

Blog Entries
    Oh yes, most certainly. Its definitely more of a challenge this way.

I feel like Kayneth would surely already know a bit about the Three Families, since they're decently old and also founded this big ol' ritual, which I'm sure the Mage Association might deem worthy of pre-war investigation.

I actually think that Kayneth might have gotten along really well with the Einzberns. Ancient family, actually possessed a Magic for a while, decently European and magus as fuck. A shame that their representative for this war is a no-name Magus Killer who is a heretic of the association. Kayneth would have loved Saber's style.

I guess take the option to investigate the others. We can force Kayneth into actually moving about and breaking his bad ways a bit if we don't actually leave him the time for absurdly complex fortifications that engender a false sense of security.