Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Body Pillow Arcade Stick

Blog Entries

Body Pillow Arcade Stick

Alright, wasn't too sure where to put this but here it is. After a bit of practice on my own sticks, boards and such, I want to get into my real project:

Modding a body pillow - dakimakura - into a fully functional, arcade fight stick. An example image would be something like... this:
    Example Image ----- sorta NSFW

Honestly, the idea came from this image:
    Spoiler:
    If only there was a pillow cover for him. I would so donate it to PR Balrog.

Regardless, you might be wondering how I might make a body pillow into an arcade stick. The answer: I don't know. I'm winging it as I go along. So far though, I recently constructed a CAD model of what it could potentially be. (See end of post). While as some of you may notice I used a Cthulhu PCB in the model, I was recently recommended to use a PS360+, so ignore the indiscernible text in it. Here's a link for the full model: http://tinyurl.com/k9sjyot : I've estimated costs to be on the high end of $160, while it could potentially be as low as $80.

Design notes:

Unlike traditional arcade sticks (image iv), based on the pillow's structure, this arcade stick will be played similar to a cello. The "bottom" of the pillow will rest on the ground, while it would be propped up against the player's left shoulder as he's sitting down. (I will be using a right handed player from now on) Unlike a cello, the right hand will rest higher up, closer to the chest, while the left hand is closer to your knees. In essence, you're holding it in in a rather scandalizing image - like hugging someone from behind. This is supported by the design.

Originally, I had conceptualized using a male body pillow cover (i.e. Balrog/Boxer), where the buttons will have covered the chest, while the joystick was where you'd think it would be.

...I was a little tipsy at that time. Note: the cable to plug into the console is coming out the opposite end. XP

Currently, I am waiting for a little more cash to purchase all the items, and then I will start soon after. I've finished my exams today *Hoo Rah* so I'm free until July. Other than that, I will design notes and ideas on how to actually construct it.
    CAD Designs + Other

(iv)

All in all, what do you think?

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    but why

Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    but why
    Because free time and extra comfort

Blog Entries
    but why
    Because free time, nothing else to do other than job searching, and because why not? I saw a stick in the shape of a mobile tank, and I was thus inspired to do something crazy.

Create History with the light even God doesn't know Der Ritter's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    but why
    The real question is "Why the f*ck not?"

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Meh's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Is that pic by Segami Daisuke? Looks like his work.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    turn back now

you have so much left to live for
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    keep going

see where it takes you
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

I approve of this thread and, more importantly, I approve of this body pillow fightstick

but realtalk, you should make the bottom flat so it doesn't rock back and forth when you're trying to play
    Code:
    [07:55:59] <Spinach> Take off your clothes Kirby
    [07:56:07] <Kirby> I'm in class

[20:37:34] <Lian|phone> there is a such thing as lingerie for guys?
    [20:37:54] <Kyokushi> yea
    [20:37:57] <Kyokushi> they're called jockstraps
    [20:38:02] <Lian|phone> :o
    [20:38:07] * Lian|phone googles
    [20:38:10] <Kyokushi> NO
    [20:38:11] <Kyokushi> DON'T
    [20:40:07] <Lian|phone> okay
    [20:40:16] <Lian|phone> I don't think I should have googled that

[12:59:30]  <Spinach> call me onii-chan, bitch
    [13:00:12]  <kroyo> imma fuck ur shit up onii-fam

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by My Little Username Can't Be This Long View Post
    I approve of this thread and, more importantly, I approve of this body pillow fightstick

but realtalk, you should make the bottom flat so it doesn't rock back and forth when you're trying to play
    Keep the bottom flat - Hmm... maybe I should extend the bottom (right side of [top] image) all the way to the pillow's edge - or maybe add a plate to the bottom of the pillow, and/or attach a beam from the [top] image's right side.

Blog Entries
    Update:

I have ordered the dakimakura - and it turns out, the item I was purchasing was just the cover, not the pillow. Damn. Anyway, I discovered that it was 150 cm x 50 cm (or 60" x 20") and have remade my CAD model. I also added two important things: a second layer to the top panel (for strengthening purposes), as well as a stand on the bottom. Something I forgot in my initial calculations is that, since the pillow will be held upright, there will be a shear stress on the button/stick holes. Gravity is pulling the stick after all. Without the stand, it's possible that the fight stick will elongate the holes and wreck the pillow.

So thanks for bringing that up, MLUCBTL.

Also, I plan to incorporate a zipper (in a semi-oblong shape) around the top panel - and a hinge as well - to enable easier access to the stick's contents. Because the last idea meant I had to go underneath with a velcro strip. Wasn't that good an idea, after bouncing it off my sister (who sews).

All in all, I'ma waiting for the pillow to come in before I finalize the measurements and thus the true construction.

Update CAD

Blog Entries
    Update: May 14, 2014

My PS360+, pillow and cover came in!

However, it turns out that the board I was working on is far too big... so I had to remeasure its dimensions. In doing so, I realize that I need to redo the Start+Select+Home buttons. I'm thinking of moving it in between the 8 buttons and joystick, but I'm not too sure that would be the best position. What do you think?

Also, I should be done within a week. Or two, since I've been in the habit of procrastinating recently.

Pillow and Dakimakura - why does my camera take HD photos?

First Draft of the Top Panel
    Last edited by Epiren; May 14th, 2014 at 09:37 PM.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    why stop at the arcade stick

where is the 360/ps3 pillow
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    Update: May 19th. 2014

Used a jigsaw to cut out the Start+Select+Home buttons, as well as the bottom panel. (1) Rather than slice it into multiple pieces, I used a power drill to create holes at each of the corners, which is why you'll see some of the round parts.

Following that, I adhered the two together with a spray adhesive. (3) The result.... didn't come out too good. I placed a paper towel underneath so that the adhesive wouldn't stick around on the floor, but mixed up the sides. Thus, I had to respray it, which meant that the stupid towel continued to stick. (2)

The top done, it's time to do the sides! I've decided to make a simple box, but haven't yet attached them yet due to my procrastination. Oh well. (4) I'll attach the hinge after the box is completed, and the small ledge (beside the head) will be where the PCB will be. Also, I plan on using the extra space to be the pillow cover's storage space - because, walking with a covered dakimakura in public will certainly be a test of will.

And @mAc Chaos

Maybe next time. With a console, then I gotta worry about weight, heat, space management, among others.

[1]
    [2]
    [3]
    [4]

Do arcade sticks run hot?

Every one I've ever used has run pretty cold.

Blog Entries
    No. His idea was for putting a xbox 360/ps3 in a body pillow. Due to the insulation/down/inside stuff, heat could potentially be a problem... plus, that stuff could get into the disc drive and wreck it.

It's a novel idea though. I could get a Ragna body pillow for the stick and use the Noel one for console --- hue hue hue :]

Blog Entries
    Update 5/25/14

Got the box (1) done. Note: using nails to attach perpendicular pieces - harder than I anticipated.

Resorted to holding one piece between my feet, the other piece + nail in one hand, while I hammered it in. And then, I noticed that it was too large!!! I did not want to go through the trouble of re-nailing the damn thing, so I lopped off the extra parts with a jigsaw - still attached. I managed to get it to work. And while you do not see it, I did add a small ledge where the pcb would be attached.

Screwed in the joystick while I was at it too. I'll be done with the wiring when I re-borrow my dad's power drill.

I thought it would actually be fluffy.
    Hamburgers.
    (I have a tendency of not finishing things I've started.)
    I hang out alot at my own Discord server, though there isn't really much activity in there. The Art Haus Chatterbox! Accepting commissions. Do you want some art done, and do you want it done for cheap? PM me, man, and we can talk. Currently not taking any commissions, sorry!

Blog Entries
    That's cuz it's not ready yet to be placed in the pillow.

Update: 5/27/14

* Cut open the pillow in a rectangular fashion, leaving one "flap" remaining (1)
    * Removed enough stuffing so that the stick can fit inside adequately (2)
    * Drilled pilot holes, attached the hinges to both the base and the top panel. (3)
    * Found it wouldn't rotate more than 10/20* ; filed the edge away so that the angle of rotation is at least 45*
    * Found out that I attached the hinges to the wrong side ; was to lazy to fix, plus I realized that the top wouldn't fall out easily (3)
    * Drilled pilot holes into PCB ledge - would obtain screws later (nails didn't work) (4)
    * Acquired, measured out and sawed the stand parts: beam and flat bottom. While I did drill the pilot holes, I had to go to work so I'll be finishing up later tonight. (5) (6)

Last edited by Epiren; May 28th, 2014 at 11:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    Update 5/28

Finished. For the most part:

* Input the buttons (1)
    * Attached the wires (2)
    * Shove it in the pillow
    * ???
    * Profit (3)

All that's left is to cut out the circles on the cover, fill out the pillow a little more with stuffing, and that's about it:

FINISHED. FOR REAL:

Last edited by Epiren; May 28th, 2014 at 11:54 PM.