Page 150 of 155 FirstFirst ... 50100140145148149150151152 ... LastLast
Results 2,981 to 3,000 of 3096

Thread: Star Wars General Thread - Sequel Trilogy, All EU is now Non-Canon, etc.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Podracing was fucking rad and you will never be able to tell my Lego sets otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    People complain about Jar Jar but we already had Ewoks in VI.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One forumghost's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Personally, while I did dislike a lot of the things people complain about ( eg Jar-Jar) I feel they were blown out of proportion.

The real Sin of the Movie IMHO is that it's superfluous. In a Trilogy ostensibly about Anakin Skywalker's Fall from Grace, 1/3 of the Movies in it... are not telling that story.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Indeed. But really, the prequels (taken as a whole) actually had a very good story, one with many of the same themes Last Jedi would pick up. Their problem is that Lucas is a crappy director and an even worse writer, and this time he didn't let anyone tell him "no".

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    one with many of the same themes Last Jedi would pick up.
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    ???
    Well, what's the main story of the prequels? It's not just Anakin's fall, it's also the fall of the Republic and its institutions, i.e, the Jedi Order, all of them due to their own flaws: Anakin's hubris and fear, the Republic's corruption, and the Jedi Order's intransigence and their own brand of hubris. Last Jedi takes that concept - even the heroes are flawed - and goes further with it: the very concept of a hero is flawed, and only by acknowledging that can we rebuild it.

okay I'll bite, how does it do that

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The Republic wasn't corrupt though. A bureaucratic nightmare sure, but all worst things shown are all the work of one person, Palpatine. He backed racist caricatures to siege his homeworld so he could use the outcry to seize power.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    I liked RoTJ, even if I think it's the weakest of the original Six movies it was still an entertaining watch which capped off the story.
    RotJ is my fav SW movie because it has Jabba and the Emperor and those are my favorite parts of the OT since I was a kid. It also wraps up things masterfully; it builds on and completes ESB and ANH. Which is more than can be said of any other mainline SW movie ever since, although RotS did try.

It also has that 80s Spielberg family blockbuster aura. Like Indy and the Last Crusade. I loved that shit as a kid, still do.
    don't quote me on this

Quote Originally Posted by Zurvan View Post
    okay I'll bite, how does it do that
    Look at its various plotlines: Poe learning that the hot shot ace may look good and pull off incredible stunts, but it's the collective effort which wins wars; Luke explicitly denouncing the idea he would single-handedly win the fight as ridiculous, and then when he does show up on the battlefield it's a misdirection which gives time for the Resistance to run away and fight another day - that is, the hero sacrificing itself to prop up the "commoners"; Finn learning that even the good guys feed off and help maintain an inherently oppressive power structure; and Rey being forced to accept her parents were nobodies and nothing makes her inherently special, only her decisions do (and fuck RoS for retconning that). Plus, the film ending on a shot of a nameless nobody using the Force.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    The Republic wasn't corrupt though. [...]
    No? The representatives of the various worlds, the very people responsible for ensuring the Republic continues to be a democracy, willingly surrender the civil rights of all those words out of fear and a supposed desire for stability, all while the supposed guardians of peace and order are fighting a war using a slave army.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    People complain about Jar Jar but we already had Ewoks in VI.
    The Ewoks were fine. What's not to like about cannibalistic guerilla troopers?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    I haven't watched the original trilogy in more than a decade so I can't really comment on them anymore, but I didn't find the prequel trilogy as bad as people said, and Revenge of the Sith is certainly a better movie than all 3 of the sequels put together.

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously, if you just get over Jar Jar Binks existing and the whole podrace subplot with Annie, The Phantom Menace is actually pretty interesting. And the duel at the end, with Duel Of the Fates playing in the background, will always be peak Star Wars for me.
    what’s it like thinking that space ben hur, the best action sequence in star wars, is bad
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    No? The representatives of the various worlds, the very people responsible for ensuring the Republic continues to be a democracy, willingly surrender the civil rights of all those words out of fear and a supposed desire for stability, all while the supposed guardians of peace and order are fighting a war using a slave army.
    I mean does the fact that people do desperate things out of desperation because an Evil Space Wizard had the Space East-India Trading Company create an Evil Robot Army and literally start a war really show corruption? Or does it show that people don't want to be ruled by an Evil Megacorp and their infinite army of Deathbots?
    Last edited by forumghost; December 30th, 2019 at 04:34 PM.

Not "people", the Senate. I think it's a fair distinction to make, especially considering the war started over trade routes (publicly, at least). I'd argue the whole thing reads less like "people are afraid and they're willing to compromise their liberty for safety" and more like "the powerful are afraid and they're willing to compromise people's liberty for safety".

JP Friend Code
    Yes, because I'm sure surrendering to the Evil Conglomerates that were Seceding essentially due to being butthurt over how they weren't allowed to oppress and abuse the people enough is a better way to protect their liberties /s

Palpatine fucked over the Republic via constructing a lose-lose scenario in order to cause the people to willingly surrender powers to him until he could declare himself Emperor.

As for 'It was the Senaye not the population' that is Bullshit. Before he became Enperor and started acting overtly for teh Evulz, Palpatine was the greatest and most popular leader in Republic History.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Corruption is the use of an elected position for your own personal gain, rather than those you serve. The Senate are idiots, but trying to do what they can in the situation to help everyone withstand the giant robot army of doom TM. They're actually screwing over huge too, since Palpy going full tyrant basically renders them all redundant. And no corrupt politician would go along with a plan that makes them obsolete.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    Yes, because I'm sure surrendering to the Evil Conglomerates that were Seceding essentially due to being butthurt over how they weren't allowed to oppress and abuse the people enough is a better way to protect their liberties /s

Palpatine fucked over the Republic via constructing a lose-lose scenario in order to cause the people to willingly surrender powers to him until he could declare himself Emperor.

As for 'It was the Senaye not the population' that is Bullshit. Before he became Enperor and started acting overtly for teh Evulz, Palpatine was the greatest and most popular leader in Republic History.
    Evil Conglomerates is Republic propaganda; the Separatists are an alliance of the various nonhuman races who made their fortunes in previously marginalized industries (banking, harsh mining etc) whose defeat provided a convenient pretext for the Human-supremacist empire. Hence their absorption and then subversion by the Republic’s elite liberal class.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post

Strong political institutions aren't so easily subverted by charismatic, supposedly populist leaders, and representatives of such institutions don't react with applause to "Hey, someone just tried to kill me, so I'm going to declare myself supreme leader".

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    I feel like I just watched 2:30 hours of bad fanfiction.
    burn your dread you coward

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Most people know of:

Specifically, coveting your neighbor's goods is what keeps the economy going. In other words, Christianity, or at least that commandment, is anti-capitalist, but in that same vein, consumerism is defined as promotion of the interests of consumers. In other words, making products quicker, easier, and more seductive. However, when applied to the Force, apparently, that is the path to the dark side. Therefore, are the Jedi anti-consumerist? In terms of the Jedi order, in general, are they a political, military, or religious body?

死者 Corpse
    Quote Originally Posted by SeiKeo View Post
    Evil Conglomerates is Republic propaganda; the Separatists are an alliance of the various nonhuman races who made their fortunes in previously marginalized industries (banking, harsh mining etc) whose defeat provided a convenient pretext for the Human-supremacist empire. Hence their absorption and then subversion by the Republic’s elite liberal class.
    Well, this non-evil conglomerate has made an assassination attempt at Republic politician, and was partly led by corporation that blockaded unprotected planet just because they didn't like new tax.