Thread: Fate/crystalline anamnesis

Fate/crystalline anamnesis

I've always wanted to write a Grail War.

---

01/Awakening
    Mari Nakamura
    ---

Darkness. I can feel mana moving on my skin. This place is the summit of the world, and I will stand atop it. I can dimly see the white tops of the clouds, and, in the breaks between them, the vast blackness of the ocean.

The sun flashes by in an instant, and, rather than enjoy the view, I use the light to plan my next handhold. I am higher than man was ever meant to go.

The volcanic stone rakes my skin. The bone-chilling cold is punctuated only by flares of intense heat. The air is thin, and I gasp desperately as I continue. I make my way by faint starlight and the occasional flash of the sun, setting everything aside. Nothing matters but the climb.

As I ascend, I can feel the mana increase. It permeates the rocks and air. Despite the seething tides of mana, nothing lives here or in the crater beneath.

Eventually, I arrive.

I fling one arm and then the other over the edge and drag myself up, ignoring my muscles's adamant screaming and the sharp rock scraping my torso.

There are minutes still before his return, and so I collapse on the ground, breathing ragged, body slick with sweat.

I allow myself three seconds of blissful paralysis, and then I begin to work.

---

"Kimi to~"

FUCK

THAT'S LOUD

IT'S SO FUCKING EARLY

FUCK

The digital clock on my nightstand blinks red. It's 1:28 AM. I rip my headphones out of my ears and throw them across the room. I figured that long nights of studying at Clock Tower would keep me awake, but I hadn't counted on jet lag. Caster?

<Here.>

Does the Grail System give you my dreams too?

<I can go to sleep and leave you defenseless if you really want me to find out.>

Smartass. A dab of ointment (wish I could afford a proper broom) and I'm off, out the second story window. I went to bed dressed. A kick off the windowsill sends me over the stone back wall and onto the street. I land on the sidewalk, and Caster shimmers into view. He's a tall, dark, muscular man, wearing only a loincloth. If he hadn't been wearing it when I summoned him, I'd think he wore it just to fuck with me. I can't afford to get distracted; I'm plugged into the leylines already (the American system has its benefits) but I still need a domain. I'm not staying with my parents.

I glide over intersections, past the golf course and through downtown proper, hardly touching the ground. Caster follows silently. By the time the ointment wears off, I'm almost at my destination, although I'm on the wrong side of the freeway. The underpasses are dark. It's not that I'm concerned about mundane threats, but I'd lay traps there, if I had prana to spare... Caster- Can you get me across?

I expected a levitation spell or some sort of temporary construct, but Caster scoops me up, unceremoniously slings me over his shoulder, and leaps over.

Good thing I wore pants.

I jump off a second before he lands, pouring prana into my legs to withstand the impact. I'd really rather not spend any, but I have to keep a strong front up.

"Not even a thank you?"

"I can thank you if you want."

He pauses for a second, deliberately.

"I most certainly do."

I can't read his face.

"Thanks."

We haven't spoken much. He's got a sharp tongue, and I refuse to stoop to his level. If everything had gone according to plan, I wouldn't be speaking with him at all. Don't get me wrong; teamwork is great, but I don't like having a giant flashing mana reservoir right next to me. Ideally, I would have just laid low, masked my prana signature, and used Command Seals in case I got attacked.

Oh well.

Anyway, I'm here. Single-story houses line a long street capped by a cul-de-sac. This neighborhood is where my best friend lived. We used to go over to her house after school to listen to music and talk about nothing important. It wasn't ever really high-class, but neither of us were really into anything outdoor anyway.Now, years later, not a single house is lit and the lawns are patchyand uncut. The road is cracked and covered in puddles. Only half of the sodium yellow streetlights work, and those that do are spaced far enough apart that anybody without magecraft to back them up might feel uncomfortable.

Yeah... I'm pretty sure she's gone.

Lucky me. I need to pull as much off the leylines as I can get, and she had the only basement I've ever seen here in California.

It might just be thefact that I'm a young woman alone at night, but I could swear somebody is watching me.

I keep my face composed, posture steady. Nothing out of the ordinary. <Caster?>

<Yes? I don't sense any prana, if that's what you're wondering.>

<Pretty big loophole, there.>

<You're perfectly safe. If you die, I lose my chance at the Grail.>

That's reassuring. I walk up the cracked concrete driveway to the single car garage.

"Anyone there?"

Nobody answers. Caster hasn't actually answered my question.

Some kind of projectile snaps through the air an inch from my ear and rips through the metal garage door like paper.

The war hasn't started, but only an idiot would assume that, with a wish on the line, anyone wouldn't play dirty. You'd have to be an even bigger idiot to assume that magi, for all their high and mighty status, wouldn't fight just as dirty as anyone else.

I activate my circuits/

sixfold symmetry spiral

my heart freezes. tendrils of cold creep swiftly through my blood vessels.

my mouth is dry with cold and my eyeballs crystallize

/and encant an aria.

"Niefl."
    Last edited by Asdfghl; May 19th, 2015 at 10:26 PM.

Servant Sheets

Servant Stat Sheets

These are the reason I wrote this, to be honest. I had a bunch of sheets lying around that just needed to be used.

Caster
    Spoiler:
    Class: Caster/Lancer
    Alignment: ???
    Potential: B/A

STR B
    END B
    AGI B
    LCK C
    MGI B
    NPH A

Class Skills
    ???

Personal Skills

-Divinity (Solar)
    level of aptitude as a Divine Spirit. may annul or lessen the effects of attacks made by one with a lower rank of the same type, interfere with the effects of certain Noble Phantasms, lower an opponent's special defensive values, break through certain defensive skills such as -Protection of Faith, grant resistances dependent on the class of divinity, or even partially dissuade the World from exerting pressure, reducing Prana costs. aptitude as a monstrous beast or demon, or a history of dislike for the gods may lower this skill's effective rank.

RANK B (A)
    Various family members qualification as Divine Spirits (with a trend toward natural forces) and worship after death have resulted in this rank. The Word acknowledges him as a contradiction but halves "pressure", since, in life, this servant had a way of returning things to their natural state (enforcing the laws of the World). Attacks imbued with a Solar attribute of rank B or lower are annulled; heat or fire damage of rank C or below is annulled.

It seems that in life he managed to anger multiple gods (along with everyone else who knew him!) so the effects of this skill are reduced one rank.

-Instinct
    ability to sense danger and feel favorable developments during battle. may reduce penalties to obstructed senses, as well as providing chances for a LCK check when attacked.

RANK A--
    This Servant possesses a refined sixth sense on a level comparable to precognition. Unfortunately, he seems to enjoy getting into dangerous situations by following this skill - in the exact opposite direction of its signals. Risking his life for unnecessary reasons has become a way of life in itself.

-Shapeshifting
    ability to take different forms. allows for transformation of form at will.

RANK D+
    This servant is limited to forms such as birds or fish. However, there is no time limit on these forms and forms such as a bird's feather derived from the original forms can also be taken without penalty.

-String Games
    skill in shaping string into different forms.

RANK EX
    this guy knows his stuff. seriously. cat's cradle is like nothing to him. instant visualization of knots etc, bonuses to weapon use if those weapons have string, the whole nine yards of yarn/fiber/whatever.

NOBLE PHANTASMS
    secret.

Blog Entries
    My interest is most certainly peaked!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Mate, that's noice as fuck! Vagrant's Avatar
    Wherever my body is, my heart is still in Straya, cunt
    Blog Entries
    My bet is it's Maui, either the Hawaiian version or a merged "global" Maui that benefits from the variety of Polynesian legends about him.

EDIT: Actually, probably more likely the New Zealand Maui than the Hawaiian one, if it's a singular one. He really pissed off everybody.
    Last edited by Vagrant; November 5th, 2014 at 02:19 AM.

The clang of spears and swords on shields congeals into a cacophonous sludge that pours into ears, stopping them up. Any soldier who survives past a week no longer hears the deafening clamour; it fades into the background like the moans of the dying and the susurrus of the waves, ordinary, unremarkable. All the soldiers left are incapable of detecting the slight ripple of silence emanating from the battlefield's center.

It comes again. Some, instincts sharpened by adrenaline, recognize it. Silence. No doubt some lord slightly greater than the others has fallen. Shame. Some, recent reinforcements, no doubt, hesitate a fatal second. They are cut down. The endless war grinds the strongest to chaff and the chaff to dust. Inexplicable silence is not the strangest thing they have seen.

Why had they fallen silent?

Those who will survive (For the end approaches) look to each other and run. They turn, taking their chances with the city's generals, and run. If they can pass the river-

Silence, again- and now everyone recognizes the surge of killing intent flooding the plain, silencing men, accompanied by a tactless uncouth shout. "He is dead! We have slain-"

A wordless scream reverberates, and men begin to drop like flies.

---
    02/i
    ---
    Last edited by Asdfghl; May 19th, 2015 at 10:53 PM.