Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [FSN x Index] Loser's Bracket

The Warrior of the Shadows kinlyki's Avatar
    its a bad ending in which you didn't get enough affection points.
    With each day, one draws closer to death,

With each day, one expends more of one's life,

With each day, one obtains more memories,

With each day, one gets closer to losing them all.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    Quote Originally Posted by kinlyki View Post
    its a bad ending in which you didn't get enough affection points.
    Yeah thats the one i was referring to, it is not often that i find fanfics that continue from a bad ending, the most recent was a FSN x Sekirei that follows the Mind of Steel ending, kinda surprised tbh.

...You are talking about In Flight, aren't you? *laughs*

Sorry, couldn't help it!

Now, I'm curious, what fic?

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningphoenix View Post
    Rin: "I wanted Saber..."
    Archer: "What? But Archers are all insanely OP, it's like a rule or something, why would you think Sabers were better?"
    Rin: "Sabers are more molestable..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantia View Post
    AC!Rin. Fixing problems one moan at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of Eyes View Post
    Denizens of another dimension, meet Rin Tohsaka, Tsundere of Mass Destruction
    Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    I dont even know what Lunatique is. I assume it's terrible for the sake of argument.

The Warrior of the Shadows kinlyki's Avatar
    If I remember correctly, the Mind of Steel one has Shirou winging Karasuba. Though I could be wrong.
    With each day, one draws closer to death,

With each day, one expends more of one's life,

With each day, one obtains more memories,

With each day, one gets closer to losing them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ergast View Post
    ...You are talking about In Flight, aren't you? *laughs*

Sorry, couldn't help it!

Now, I'm curious, what fic?
    Cant find it anymore, seems the author took it down, the only one i can find that follows HF route is one that follows HF True but kills Sakura in the first chapter.

@Kinlyki no thats blade of ash.

Lmao that fic sounds like major flame bait, especially since he used HF True!

Anyway great fic. Good To Aru x Fate crossovers are pretty hard to find. I really like the premise of Shirou waking up in another him's body. I'm also curious about the mechanics at work. Is he still a magus, are circuits stored in the soul, did they get transferred over? etc etc. Keep up the good work!
    Go check out some awesome fan fiction!
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/forumdisplay.php/5-Fanfics
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../FateStayNight
    Because the remaining ten percent is worth dieing for.

Fortissimo EXA//Akkord:Bsusvier, Magi locked in a deadly battle royal. Sounds familiar right? Familiar and AWESOME.
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread...eo-Walkthrough

不死 Undead
    This is interesting, shirou is going to have a lot of fun not knowing anything. It likely wont happen, but seeing the reaction to UBW would be hilarious, it is the manifestation of a personal reality after all. The nasuverse take on personal realities also meshes well here and explains why the level 5s are by and large very strange.

Who stole my donuts!? Leo Novum's Avatar
    I don't know much about Toaru Majutsu no Index but I find this quite interesting, despite various mistakes such as Shirou learning jewel magecraft and the magecraft actually affecting Saber despite her high magical resistance. I'll be following this.

By the way, has Fate-Shirou been unwittingly jacked into the body of Index-Shirou?

Wonderful Internet Adventurer! Red Kite's Avatar
    ...Well, that was pretty damn good.

Ok, let me guess: the Grail actually granted Sabers wish, so Kerry never summoned her fo the Fuyuki grail wars, so the fire never happened, so Shirou was never orphaned, So he was able to go to academy city?

Is that about the gist of what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Bdoom View Post
    You don't order Gil around. You say something and the Gil chooses to grant your request, or he doesn't, and calls you a mongrel (if you're lucky)

Tiger Dojo Can't Stop Won't Stop Nephirin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Novum View Post
    I don't know much about Toaru Majutsu no Index but I find this quite interesting, despite various mistakes such as Shirou learning jewel magecraft and the magecraft actually affecting Saber despite her high magical resistance. I'll be following this.
    From what I saw, it was less 'Shirou actually learning jewel magecraft' and more just 'Shirou pulling the pin on a grenade that Tohsaka had created.' Much like he did with the dagger in Kotomine at the end of Fate.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Kite View Post
    ...Well, that was pretty damn good.

Ok, let me guess: the Grail actually granted Sabers wish, so Kerry never summoned her fo the Fuyuki grail wars, so the fire never happened, so Shirou was never orphaned, So he was able to go to academy city?

Is that about the gist of what happened?
    That's actually a pretty good theory! But I wonder, can the grail even grant wishes? I thought that was all a farce made by the original magi to lure poor clueless magi into the war. Said magi would then summon servants that would eventually be killed so their mana can be used to fuel the "grail" and punch a hole into Akasha using massive amounts of mana. Of course it's a fanfiction so anything is possible, I was just wondering about the cannon grail though.

Nephirin's interpretation of how Shirou used jewel magic makes a lot more sense then Shirou somehow learning jewel magic. I don't think it would get past A ranked MR though, but hey it's a fanfiction.
    Go check out some awesome fan fiction!
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/forumdisplay.php/5-Fanfics
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../FateStayNight
    Because the remaining ten percent is worth dieing for.

Fortissimo EXA//Akkord:Bsusvier, Magi locked in a deadly battle royal. Sounds familiar right? Familiar and AWESOME.
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread...eo-Walkthrough

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FlameStrike View Post
    That's actually a pretty good theory! But I wonder, can the grail even grant wishes? I thought that was all a farce made by the original magi to lure poor clueless magi into the war.
    It grants the miracle of "acting on a scale that humans cannot" by virtue of giving access to ridiculous amounts of prana. (This is secondary to its true purpose, but it is real.)

The lie is the claim of omnipotence, because it doesn't allow you to simply snap your fingers and do anything you want; you need to know how to accomplish your wish.
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    It grants the miracle of "acting on a scale that humans cannot" by virtue of giving access to ridiculous amounts of prana. (This is secondary to its true purpose, but it is real.)

The lie is the claim of omnipotence, because it doesn't allow you to simply snap your fingers and do anything you want; you need to know how to accomplish your wish.
    I would have said that it grants wishes, but with as much destruction as possible. So if Saber wished she'd never pulled out Caliburn, it would probably have sent a small meteor/nuclear blast to fall on her head right as she was about to do so.

Then again, if i'm right, i have a feeling that the blonde girl may be Arturia's descendent (just a guess here), so that would mean that the grail DIDN'T nuke her.

ALL THINKING NO ANSWERS MAKE KITE A DULL BOY!!!

You don't order Gil around. You say something and the Gil chooses to grant your request, or he doesn't, and calls you a mongrel (if you're lucky)

Who stole my donuts!? Leo Novum's Avatar
    Another bit I rather found hard to ignore was Shirou using a Hebrew word to activate Rin's jewels because I believe Rin uses the German language for spellcraft.

Ah well, it's only nitpicking after all. It would be better to swallow it and continue rather than gag and choke on this bit.

despite various mistakes such as Shirou learning jewel magecraft and the magecraft actually affecting Saber despite her high magical resistance.
    Quote Originally Posted by fallacies View Post
    For the purposes of this fic, please note that this isn't Fate Route canon. This is an altered route with a somewhat more protracted war. That translates to Rin having a bit more time to lay down the fundamentals -- enough that Shirou could prime a spell already embedded in a jewel to activate. Secondarily, Saber's resistance to magecraft applies only to magecraft that's actually acting on her. A spell that turns a ruby into filament binding around her body doesn't directly act on her.
    Nephirin's guess is largely correct, but I would stress that this fic setting presumes that:

a) the bar for entry level magecraft is not terribly high.

b) lack of innate talent or efficiency of circuit interface with a particular thaumaturgical foundation doesn't wholly preclude possibility of using the relevant magecraft; it just makes it harder. That doesn't mean that a particular magus can't comprehend the theory behind the spell.

That said, I can say outright that if "learning to use a given school of magecraft" entails being capable of freely using it at any level higher than a novice, then no, Shirou hasn't in fact "learned" jewel magecraft.

By the way, has Fate-Shirou been unwittingly jacked into the body of Index-Shirou?
    He's been incarnated via the power of the incomplete 3rd Magic. The soul overwrites the vessel.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Kite View Post
    the Grail actually granted Sabers wish, so Kerry never summoned her fo the Fuyuki grail wars, so the fire never happened, so Shirou was never orphaned, So he was able to go to academy city?
    The chain of causation isn't really so straightforward as you've described it, but yes, everything you said is "technically" true.

Quote Originally Posted by FlameStrike View Post
    That's actually a pretty good theory! But I wonder, can the grail even grant wishes? I thought that was all a farce made by the original magi to lure poor clueless magi into the war. Said magi would then summon servants that would eventually be killed so their mana can be used to fuel the "grail" and punch a hole into Akasha using massive amounts of mana. Of course it's a fanfiction so anything is possible, I was just wondering about the cannon grail though.
    As Siriel has already indicated, the Grail is in fact capable of granting any wish that can be realized on 60 years of mana charge from the Fuyuki leyline junction. However, magi outside of the Three Families don't always know that the War serves as a ritual to access the Akasha; the information that the Grail can legitimately grant a wish serves as bait. Ergo, even if somebody not of the Three Families wins, there's much less of a chance that they'll think to use the Grail to obtain the 3rd Magic.

Another bit I rather found hard to ignore was Shirou using a Hebrew word to activate Rin's jewels because I believe Rin uses the German language for spellcraft.
    The spellbook that Rin receives from her father in F/Z anime canon is in nonsense Hebrew.
    Last edited by fallacies; June 4th, 2014 at 11:51 AM.

Whew! About to slip down. VelspertheCat's Avatar
    The spellbook that Rin receives from her father in F/Z anime canon is in nonsense Hebrew.
    The most dangerous secret arts of the Tohsaka family are hidden away in a copy of Dr. Seuss.
    Spoiler:
    Is it pimping myself out if it's hidden?
    Index of Stories, Conceptual Writing, and Scenes

Quote Originally Posted by VelspertheCat View Post
    The most dangerous secret arts of the Tohsaka family are hidden away in a copy of Dr. Seuss.
    Huh?

Whew! About to slip down. VelspertheCat's Avatar
    Rin uses nonsense german and nonsense Hebrew to learn magic. Therefore, the most nonsensical words are the strongest.
    Spoiler:
    Is it pimping myself out if it's hidden?
    Index of Stories, Conceptual Writing, and Scenes

{ Loser's Bracket }
    a Fate Stay Night x A Certain Magical Index crossover
    by fallacies

002.1: ACC $1,750,000

//

Shirai Kuroko didn't consider herself a technological utopianist, but somewhere behind her decision to stand among the defenders of Academy City, there was an absolute conviction that the progress of science and technology would someday realize all of the hopes and dreams of humanity -- purging the world of the injustices that sprang of ignorance and superstition by law of rationality.

Reality, unfortunately, had a habit of disappointing.

"Say, Uiharu," said a certain middle school girl. "Have you heard that one rumor about the body-snatchers secretly taking over the city?"

The speaker -- one Saten Ruiko -- was a friend of a friend, and therefore not somebody that Kuroko was inclined to verbally take apart without good cause. It did, however, consistently baffle her that two years as a student in Academy City had failed utterly to extinguish any of the girl's unreasonable passion for pseudoscience and urban legends.

'Even here in the foremost bastion of science,' thought Kuroko, filling her teapot with hot water, 'unfounded suppositions lurk evermore beyond the sanctuary of empirical fact.'

The student-operated disciplinary body known as Judgment was ostensibly a government organization, but the crowded office that Kuroko shared at the 177th Branch had more the look of a large, fancy clubroom than anything associated with civil service. In part, it was an intentional effort to make the otherwise utilitarian space more friendly, but Kuroko couldn't say if there was any particular necessity to the numerous stuffed animals that inhabited the room. Those were the work of Uiharu Kazari, the twelve-year-old Judgment officer presently hugging a plushy strawberry pillow on the couch.

"Hmm ... body-snatchers," said Uiharu, pursing her lips in thought. "The thread about them on the Toshi Densetsu BBS a few months ago was neat, but it didn't really go into how to tell an imposter apart from the actual person ..."

Saten smirked.

"If that's what you're looking for, you need to read the one post that popped up this afternoon," she said. "You know how the Power Development instructors are always saying that your AIM profile doesn't change much even if you rank up?"

"Yeah?"

"The word is, there's a student whose AIM readings were totally different from what he got during his previous System Scan. I don't know if the MIBs from the Board of Directors carted him off or whatever, but on the BBS, they're saying that his brain was probably infested by an alien worm."

"This is a recent thing?" asked Uiharu. "City-wide System Scan is still a month or two away ..."

"Some of the higher-end schools don't do it at the same time as everyone else," Saten replied. "The poster didn't say when and where the body-snatcher was caught, but places like Nagatenjouki supposedly have the test this week. I'm betting that the top five secondary academies were specifically targeted for infiltration."

"You're spouting silly absurdities again," said Kuroko, sitting down in her armchair and pouring herself a pre-patrol tea. "If these so-called 'alien brain worms' truly existed, we'd have a Public Health Advisory from the Academy City CDC long before System Scan turns out any 'infiltrators.' Furthermore, in the twenty-odd years since the SETI Institute was founded, there's been no conclusive evidence that extraterrestrial life in fact exists at all."

Kuroko made to sip her tea, but found Saten and Uiharu staring at her with widened eyes.

"What?" asked Kuroko, annoyed. "Have I got something on my face?"

Saten turned to Uiharu.

"Miss Shirai is a student at Tokiwadai, right?" she asked.

"Yes?"

"And Tokiwadai's one of the top five schools, yeah? The ones targeted for infiltration by aliens?"

"Yep," Uiharu replied, nodding.

"Claiming that aliens don't exist is pretty much exactly what I would do if I were secretly an alien brain worm plotting to take over the city ..."

With a perfectly straight expression, Saten made eye contact with Kuroko.

"I've never known Miss Shirai to take so much interest in urban legends," she said in deadpan. "Who are you, and what have you done with her?"

Kuroko felt a vein throb in her forehead, and a teddy bear abruptly vanished from next to her leg -- shooting into the back of Saten's head and eliciting a surprised yelp. Uiharu burst into giggles at sight.

"Sorry," said Saten, laughing and rubbing her head. "Couldn't resist the joke." She leaned back against a sofa cushion, staring up at the ceiling. "Seriously, though ... Even if it just so happened to bump me up a Level or two, I wouldn't want my AIM profile to suddenly change."

Kuroko raised a brow, setting her teacup in its dish.

"Why wouldn't you?" she asked. "Ranking up by two Levels would be a significant achievement."

Saten shook her head.

"With the kind of attention you'd get," she replied, "it'd be like going to the beach dressed as a Christmas tree ..."

//

'Structural Grasp' was at one point an actual spell that required manual activation on Shirou's part -- the silent utterance of a single-line aria, and a fairly standard interfacing to the relevant thaumaturgical foundation.

In the days following Archer's betrayal and the subsequent confrontation with the man in the place of the swords, something had changed.

What had been 'technique' was now a 'sense' -- an instinctual comprehension, no different from sight or scent or taste or touch. Its function wasn't automatic, as derivation of data still required focus on a subject; but elimination of thaumaturgical procedure and prana consumption was a bizarre development that Shirou had yet to fully understand.

Inexplicable as well was his growing capacity to accurately 'appraise' the precise history of certain inanimates -- in particular, any objects that bore the approximate topography of a sword. The processes involved in the manufacture of bladed weapons had always been somewhat easier for him to discern than anything else -- but less than three months ago, attempting to extract an ATM security code from a doorkey likely wouldn't have produced any results.

"One million, seven hundred and fifty thousand AC credits," he muttered, reading off the screen.

The LED display behind the bank tellers' counter indicated nearly a one-to-one conversion ratio to Yen. Assuming that the figures were valid, the worth of the savings account was equivalent only to small fraction of the funds that Kiritsugu had set aside for him in his original timeline. Nevertheless, it wasn't an insignificant sum, given the meager assets typically available to a high school student.

'Maybe he was on a scholarship?' Shirou wondered. 'A school like Tachikawa can't be cheap ...'

Withdrawing his ID from the machine and safely stowing away a stack of crisp, fresh bills, Shirou departed the bank at an outwardly relaxed pace, taking in the sights and sounds of the city at nightfall. Though the urbanization here was noticeably more pronounced than in Shinto, Fuyuki, despite the density of the rush hour traffic and the pedestrians, the winds that drove the turbines lining the street were surprisingly clear of tobacco and gasoline.

This, apparently, was Academy City -- a walled city-state situated just west of the Tokyo Metropolitan Area.

According to the library at Tachikawa Secondary, the place had attained independent sovereignty in the mid-1970's, at the height of the Cold War. Backed by the governments of both Japan and United States, it was founded to advance the growth of cutting edge technologies beyond the restrictive oversight of the conservative academic establishment.

Shirou was certain that no such location lay in the vicinity of the Tokyo that he recalled from excursions with his father growing up.

The city wasn't the only 'revision' that had been appended to historical record -- merely the most obvious that Shirou had identified. Thirty more minutes of research gave that the Historia Regum Britanniae no longer listed Arthur Pendragon amongst of the legendary kings of England. Instead, 'the Wytch Queen Morganna' and her successor, Constantine III of Damnonia, figured centrally in the cycle of tragic romances that dominated the medieval imagination. A princess by the name of 'Arturia' was only obliquely mentioned as one of Morganna's younger siblings -- spirited away by her father's mysterious advisor early on in girlhood.

The Grail hadn't been subtle in its agency.

Shirou had right off considered seeking out a method to return home -- but thinking on the matter a little more, the obstacles to the plan seemed glaringly immovable. The possibly still-ongoing realization of Saber's wish notwithstanding, transplanting himself to his original timeline would require the Second Magic or a thaumaturgical instrument at least equivalent in mystery to the Grail itself. Neither of these were likely to be readily available -- and if securing access were at all possible, in light of the usual generosity of magi, getting at them wouldn't be without a virtual guarantee of lethal combat along the way.

Even if fixes of the supernatural sort were categorically excluded from consideration, it didn't really matter: Fuyuki City had never existed here, as the primary port of Hyougo Prefecture had instead been redesignated to 'Kobe' in the later half of the Edo Period. Inputting any combination of the city name and 'Fujimura' or 'Taiga' to the more popular search engines yielded no promising evidence that his Taiga had in fact ever been born ...

Shirou sighed, stopping outside a fast-food restaurant.

"Might as well eat," he said to himself. "The hunger's starting to get to me ..."

//

Dinner was an Original Macronall's Double Quarter Pounder -- the second most likely contributor to the deterioration of his father's health, just after the man's daily packets of low-tar Silk Cuts. Even in a different world, the 'beef' of the patties managed to taste vaguely of plastic.

"Thank you for your patronage!" said a smiling, uniformed girl, bowing as he exited the building.

Shirou nodded back, and the automated doors slid closed behind him.

Out on the sidewalk, he flipped open his wallet and reconfirmed the address indicated on his ID. The dormitory didn't look to be too far off; he just needed to find the residential bloc in Tenth Sector, two or three intersections away. With any luck, it would be a five or ten minute walk at most.

Academy City -- or maybe just District Seven -- seemed to have a rather higher population density than he was used to. In the municipality of Miyama in Fuyuki, the streets were usually deserted a little after six or seven at night. Foot traffic persisted a little later in Shinto -- but bicycling home at eight from his part-time job at the Copenhagen, Shirou had never encountered anything resembling a crowd. At half past eight here in the shopping street of Akishima, there were still enough people that he was bumping shoulders left and right without meaning to. The cylindrical janitorial robots going about their business on the sidewalk really didn't make things any better.

In part, it was due to the lack of breathing space that he missed the onset of the ambush -- a brief, sudden pain in his right upper arm, which he attributed initially to a collision with the man that he'd just passed. The sensation of the second attack drew his attention to the tear had formed in his uniform trousers -- a straight shear through the cloth of his lower left leg, exposing a bleeding cut across the skin.

'A projectile!?'

Interference from the flow of pedestrians kept him from taking immediate stock of his surroundings, but with a quick backwards glance, he was able to visually confirm a needle of ice planted by its tip through the cement of a wall.

The mystery that had shaped the weapon was barely discernible, dispersing even as Shirou attempted to read it. With its passing, the crystalline structure shattered behind it, leaving only a hairline crack and a spot of moisture on the cement.

'They're on the rooftop across the street,' thought Shirou, maintaining his gait despite the pain. 'With two near-misses, it's unlikely that they aren't targeting me ...'

Thankfully, the crowd hadn't so far noticed -- but if a bystander were accidentally shot, sparking off a stampede from mass panic wasn't unforeseeable. He couldn't stay here.

Ducking into the nearest alley, Shirou broke into a dead run.

The passage wasn't very long. Twenty meters away, it intersected with a poorly-lit side-street empty of shoppers. Standing alone beneath a street lamp, a tall, imposing man in a black leather jacket looked to Shirou with a grim expression.

"So you're the one, huh?" asked the man.

'He's with the sniper?' thought Shirou. "I don't know who you're looking for, but I'm pretty sure you've got the wrong person."

Drawing an oddly-shaped weapon from its holster, the man directed the barrel at Shirou's face.

"My name is Komaba Ritoku," he replied, scowling. "For the crimes that you've perpetrated against Level Zeroes, I'll have you pay your dues."

//

Subject: Morg M. Harway

Designation: Jurisdiction Assert
    AIM Range: 0 meters

Precognition: C
    Clairvoyance: C
    Psychometry: D
    Telepathy: D
    Psychokinesis: C
    Retrocognition: D

Within the space occupied by the user's body, passive/reactive maintenance of a specific physiological state is selectively asserted at the exclusion of phenomenon produced by any non-native AIM jurisdiction. However, the effect is applicable only to phenomenon that fall below the AIM intensity of Jurisdiction Assert. A range of normal biological processes such as digestion and neural functioning are not affected by involuntary maintenance.
    Last edited by fallacies; June 6th, 2014 at 09:00 PM.

WAIT, MORGANA WAS THE HIGH QUEEN OF BRITAIN?!?! Oh shiiiiiiiit!
    In all seriousness though, im actually interested in how that sequence of events would have turned out, Since that could make for an interesting alternate reality.

Also: Science side! Write your damn documents in English we mere mortals can understand!!!