Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 25678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheet Graveyard

Blog Entries
    Figure I'll post mine too, then. Apparently when I was working on it autosave included the entire, now-mysteriously-vanished OP as well. Weird, huh?

Courting Disaster OP
    Beverly Hills, California
    Present Day
    On any other morning, Amaranth Yamazaki - pop starlet, model, and actress - would've been savoring a late breakfast, or perhaps swimming a lap or two in the complex’s indoor pool. As it was, though, she had neither of those luxuries. Instead she was pacing tightly around the dining room of her penthouse, clearly fuming. And she wasn't alone.

"Are you fucking with me?" Her tone was rough, completely at odds with the bubbly idol persona she usually adopted in public. "First you tell me that magic is real, and now I'm supposed to believe that my life is in danger because of it? That’s just too damn much."

"Sorry, darlin'. That's just the way it is." The reply came from a man perched on a stool by the kitchen counter. He was an unusual visitor, not least because of the fact that his face was curiously ageless, and he could have been anywhere between eighteen and eighty years old. The more unsettling thing was the sort of subtle wrongness which clung to him, which was hard to put into words; it could best be described as an unshakeable sense that he didn't belong in this world. "The Demons' Court will be after you for sure, and I wouldn't be too optimistic about the Mages' Court either."

"This is nuts," the girl said flatly, cutting to the point. "And I don't understand any of it."

"Best get someone to explain it to you, then. It'd be an awful shame for you to die without realizing just what you've stumbled into."

It sank in, then, that he didn't sound like he was joking.

"Damn," she said, trying to keep her tone light. "That's the first and last time I try to help someone, then, if this is what it gets me."

"Oh, it won't be all bad." The man showed his teeth in a fashion which she wasn't stupid enough to call a smile. "I promise."

With that, he vanished from sight. Left on her own, she collapsed onto a chair. Her mind raced frantically, left with more questions than answers, and now with a mounting sense that she was in serious trouble. She liked to think she was no stranger to risk, but even this was way out of her depth.

"Well, shit," she muttered. "I'm going to need bodyguards."

COURTING DISASTER
    An Urban Fantasy RP

Magic exists, of course, as Amaranth Yamazaki discovered the hard way; most people just don't know about it. Mages tend to be taught by other mages, because keeping its existence on the down-low is their highest priority. It helps that magic tends to run in families, but sometimes the child of a normal family will be born with powers, which manifest around puberty. In this case, a more senior practitioner will usually detect their mana, then seek them out and teach them how to control it, but it’s also entirely possible for a potential magic-user to go their whole lives without realizing their abilities. By and large, power levels are similar to mages in the Nasuverse, if not a little lower.

Magic works like a pyramid: mages can do a wide variety of low-level magic, but tend to have a particular field of speciality centred around a concept, with which they can do greater things. This can be as simple as an element (for example, ice magic) or something more abstract and nebulous (such as luck). Any truly great magic - that is, the bending of reality on a more significant level, which is very roughly beyond what you'd be able to do by mundane methods over a longer period of time - comes at the cost of incredible physical exhaustion, if not actual damage, roughly proportional to the amount by which you flouted the established rules of the world. Particularly ambitious mages have been known to go blind, lose function in their limbs, or even die in the process of weaving an especially complex spell; however, this was in exchange for feats of magic which could only be called miracles.

Most mages owe their allegiance to the Mages' Court, whether explicitly or by default. This body governs the rules of magic and makes sure it's kept secret at all costs; it holds trials for those who transgress, and its headquarters also serve as a safe haven for any practitioner of magic should they need it. The Mages' Court is governed by a body of seven mages, including its head. Three of the seats are held by members of particularly ancient and distinguished families: Smythington-Clay, von Kaube, and Konoe. Another three are decided by a vote every seven years, although the slow-moving nature of the political culture means that these don't often change hands either. And the job of head of the Court is a lifetime position; in the wake of a leader's death, mages flock to headquarters and hold a vote. Of course, the length of a lifetime varies... especially because intrigue is endemic. The current leader of the Mages' Court is Faustino Dupont, from a family almost as old as the three with permanent seats, and the fifth of his line to hold the title in the last two centuries. However, he's quite old, and it's been impossible to quash the rumour mill about who his possible successor could be.

In opposition stands the Demons' Court, which began as a splinter group and has since grown in strength. While its mortal constituents are far fewer, their powers have been bolstered by their unholy masters in exchange for their cooperation. Its head is a demon with an unknown name, who delegates most of the business of governing to the most senior of those who have contracted with them, a person known only as Moloch. It's unknown whether or not the same Moloch has reigned for the entire existence of the Demons' Court, or if it passes from mage to mage like a codename. There are very few truly freelance mages, although many of those affiliated to one faction or the other only pay lip service to their Court; this is more common among advocates of the Mages' than the Demons', simply because of the nature of each.

You'll take the role of one of Amaranth's newly hired mage bodyguards, of which there are five (although I'd be willing to raise this by a couple). You've been sought out personally, largely because you're renowned for having no particular ties to either of the Courts. The job may or may not wind up being high-risk, but at least you're guaranteed to be paid well.

If you're interested in applying, fill out the following character sheet and PM it to me. I'm also happy for your PC to have secrets they've kept from the others, but please PM me your idea so that I know about it. I'll be choosing participants by December 4th, since I want to get this thing on the road as soon as I can. The tone I'm going for will be moderately serious, but ideally with a big side helping of character interaction; please bear that in mind when applying.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to ask any questions you might have, and maybe even to apply.

Sheet
    Name: Peter Amarantos, "Leviathan"

Appearance: Peter appears to be a red-headed man in his mid-twenties, of average height, with green eyes. When he's working, he dons a specialized mask and cloak in order to aid him in his particular branch of magic, like so.

Personality: As a person, Peter could be said to be an existence like water, constantly changing to suit the path of least resistance... it could be said that rather then someone who is constantly passive, he simply doesn't want to waste time in confrontation. However, his real personality is slightly wicked, and he enjoys subtly pulling things to end up the way he desires from behind the scenes. He's the sort of person who would smile at you lazily while stringing you along like a puppet in his newest game. His magic is well-suited to subterfuge and deception, and because of this, he has a keen instinct and a clever mind.

Backstory: The line of Amarantos is a long-line of magic users stretching all the way back to Ancient Greece. While they are indeed, quite specialized, it could be said that they are the foremost experts on shapeshifting magic in the entire world, constantly (and ruthlessly) searching for related magic throughout the ages and cultures they found themselves in. They are one of the long-standing members of the Mages Court, and Peter, as one of their disciples, was no exception.

However, as the young man grew into adulthood, he grew disillusioned with the way his house was ran, and began to distance himself from them. Though he still refuses the call of the Demon Court, Peter lives apart from his family, and over the years let a dislike between one of the prodigal sons and the main branch fester. It's a situation of a magician denying his heritage to live with higher freedom, even if the benefits of the house would make his life much better. Currently, after instigating a certain ruckus to uncover a bit of dirt on one of the various magical families of the Mage's Court, Peter was offered a lucrative job as a bodyguard, and decided to take it.

Magic:

Divination: Peter can perform low-level divination, or scrying, in order to find someone. It can be blocked by adequate protection, but has the benefit of being able to be used on any reflective surface, like mirrors or glass.

Isa: Having been forced to branch out a little as a child, Peter chose to study ice-based magecraft in order to supplement his family's magic, and can use low level ice magic in various forms, creating mist or cutting shards of ice.

Thurisaz: When he was told to pick a second discipline as a child, Peter picked this branch of magic. With this, Peter has access to low-tier lightning magic, being able to create static shocks or single, weak branches of electricity on the same level as a taser.

Witchcraft: An ability gained from studying it over the course of his work, Peter can create small familiars through the use of his magecraft. By marking birds or small mammals with special designs, Peter can see through their eyes and direct their movement over a limited distance. The smarter the animal, the harder it is to control.

Alteration of Form: This is the ability passed down and refined throughout the long line of the Amarantos family. With the aid of tools like the cloak and mask, Peter can change his own body, or parts of his body, into almost any other form. With this, the ability to disguise oneself is boosted to unimaginable levels, as might be imagined. However, the Amarantos family had other ideas, and they began to experiment with branches within their main discipline. The change itself is physical, not an illusion, and therefore has a much harder chance of being detected, though it cannot break the Law of Conservation of Matter unless a truly monstrous amount of energy was expended.

Alteration of Form (False Stage): As one of the prodigies of the Amarantos line, Peter learned this skill at a remarkable rate. Through magical ability, Peter is able to turn parts of his body into metal, stone, or even minerals. He is capable of altering anything from something as small as a finger to an entire body, though the change is only skin deep unless he tried something truly reckless.

Alteration of Form (True Stage): The true purpose of the Amarantos line's magic has always been concerned with the manipulation of the body into living things, and Peter's skills reflect this. With the proper exertion of energy, a variety of forms can be copied straight down to the voice. However, Peter saw no need to stop there, and continued his training until he was able to copy the forms of animals as well. Though it requires study, and has some drawbacks, he can turn himself into any animal that roughly fits his body weight - meaning that the smaller forms like birds or small mammals are basically impossible without serious effort.

Alteration of Form (Inverse Stage): The ability, through considerable exertion, to transform into non-standard forms. Like this, things such as shadows and mist are within the realm of possibility, and through the splitting of conscious, something like transforming into a flock of animals might be possible... that being said, the side effects are severe, but as long as it's kept to a small scale, it doesn't seem to be so bad.
    Last edited by Mooncake; March 4th, 2015 at 11:22 PM.
    [12:37] <I3uster> if playing overwatch would save my mother from the deathbed
    [12:37] <I3uster> id probably flip a coin
    [12:38] <I3uster> to see if i play or not

[18:23] <frantic> spinach is like a caffeine zombie

[18:23] <frantic> in AX he would like
    [18:23] <frantic> drink 8 shots of espresso
    [18:23] <frantic> then he'd turn to me an hour later
    [18:23] <frantic> 'frantic', he'd say, his eyes wild and his lips smug
    [18:23] <frantic> 'i need coffee'

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Man you had a shitload more stuff than me in hindsight.

Blog Entries
    Eh, I guess. It's probably because I didn't just summarize Adolf from Terraformers . I really wanted to call him Amaranth but then the main girl was already named as such. It would have been fun to beguile and deceive if it had ever gotten off of the ground ;_;
    Last edited by Mooncake; March 4th, 2015 at 11:26 PM.
    [12:37] <I3uster> if playing overwatch would save my mother from the deathbed
    [12:37] <I3uster> id probably flip a coin
    [12:38] <I3uster> to see if i play or not

[18:23] <frantic> spinach is like a caffeine zombie

[18:23] <frantic> in AX he would like
    [18:23] <frantic> drink 8 shots of espresso
    [18:23] <frantic> then he'd turn to me an hour later
    [18:23] <frantic> 'frantic', he'd say, his eyes wild and his lips smug
    [18:23] <frantic> 'i need coffee'

System ∀-99 ∀Gundam BananaShiki's Avatar
    I tried playing Pathfinder once and it was awful.
    I say tried because the game never took off because nobody finished their sheets.
    pic related
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Detective Blackstone View Post
    What if EA was in fact EA. As in Electronic Arts.

Does Gil have to buy DLC for its full power?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Fuck imouto, get power.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    >12 HP

jesus christ what did you do to yourself

Don't even know if that's a good thing or not

Fuck imouto, get power.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    If thats how you rolled your HP god have mercy on your soul

If its because you started at Lvl1 its the GM's fault because starting at Lvl1 is boring because you have nothing and it's a long climb.

4 is pretty good as a low-level start, 8-11 for a midrange one.

Yeah it was everyone at lvl1, but the thing never took off anyway so whatever.
    The whole process of making a character was a horrible and tedious chore.

Fuck imouto, get power.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Making a character for Pathfinder is one of my favorite parts honestly. I sit down like hours for a few days making sure every little thing is in order.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Low level games are my favorite.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    I sit down like hours for a few days making sure every little thing is in order.
    Sounds horrible.

Fuck imouto, get power.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaShiki View Post
    Sounds horrible.
    I enjoy it a lot actually.

It shouldn't take more than 1 maybe 2 hours to make a character, anything more feels like way too long.

Fuck imouto, get power.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    If you take that little time on it then obviously you're gonna be dissatisfied with the final product.

I'm saying it shouldn't take that long in the first place.

Fuck imouto, get power.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    > Pathfinder
    > not taking long

ayyyy

Some people like going through all the customization options. It's like building a MtG deck.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Exactly. If you dont look through every single Feat and Trait designing your character, can you say you tried hard enough?

I think my current character took some 10-12 hours? (Admittedly it was a pretty shoddy job since it was my first and I haven't read more than necessary of the rulebook), and the one I have saved for when Siriel finally gets around to wanting to do the one-shot dungeon crawl thing probably took longer (though thats because the characters start at Lvl11 there and theres a lot more shit to configure at Lvl11).

My anima character took way longer honestly, though I blame that on Anima being convoluted as shit. I think I spent some 25 on-off hours making that.
    Last edited by Christemo; March 5th, 2015 at 07:22 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    I like it better when character creation is relatively speedy. Nothing makes peoples' eyes glaze over than when you have to spend two hours putting a character together before you can even play.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thats only a problem if you play IRL and not online

Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    I like it better when character creation is relatively speedy. Nothing makes peoples' eyes glaze over than when you have to spend two hours putting a character together before you can even play.
    Two hours isn't too bad, it's a problem when it takes days.

Fuck imouto, get power.