Page 349 of 371 FirstFirst ... 249299339344347348349350351354359 ... LastLast
Results 6,961 to 6,980 of 7406

Thread: Beast's Lair History

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RacingeR View Post
    Social media worsened pre-existing issues a whole lot and spread them much wider than ever before. Add that stuff like word count limits and a general limiting of space to express oneself, and social media basically managed to murder any leftovers of nuance that still existed.

I wish twitter could just be erased from human consciousness.
    But therein lies the rub, it worsened pre-existing issues. Meaning those were already there, and people can now more easily see the best and worst of people by being more interconnected. Cliquish behavior, and being able to take advantage of the gullible and sometimes unintelligent who aren't able to do much but work off knee-jerk reactions.
    It means it doesn't have to be Twitter, any communication platform can cause the same type of issue if media literacy, and critical thinking skills are suitably impaired. Not to put Twitter itself off the hook, but people do have a responsibility for their own actions and how they react. Political and Social spin wasn't created by Twitter but people can take advantage of people using that tool. But that's all it is, a tool. People are the ones that have to change as well.

Companies canceling people to save their own butts based on public outrage could have been manipulated in other ways. Would the smarter thing be that we hold the company accountable for its fast trigger response?
    Now I say this as a person who doesn't use social platforms much. But decrying the advancement of communication while not addressing the problems that mankind has (critical thinking, parsing nuance, patience when disseminating information, media literacy in an era where propoganda hits almost every second of the day). How far would we go to try turning back the clock by getting rid of these platforms and then realizing we never addressed those core issues?

Studies have shown that at least when it comes to certain topics

People act the same online and offline, aka if your a asshole online your probably the same offline.

Personally it makes me ill seeing stuff that should be having forums or at least had them in the past, instead having giant frenetic discord servers with fifty different channels. You're supposed to find information or coordinate on a project or whatever but everything's popping in real time with emojis dotdotdot animation sound effects and whatever. And people are just using it as if it's a forum, so why not just have a forum? With the added benefit of not constantly tethering on the edge of them implementing cryptoshit while no one's looking.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Social media and Discordism also highlights the modern web's tendency towards ephemerality. It's probable that most of what is online today won't be archived, not to mention is increasingly difficult to archive as social media simultaneously trends towards centralisation. Archiving a forum or IRC logs is pretty common and easy - and has already been done by enterprising members of this forum - so a site host going down isn't the end of the world even if it's based on user record-keeping. Archiving all of Twitter, or Facebook, is a different story entirely, let alone less text-based platforms like TikTok or Instagram. In addition, people continue to happily store their stuff in "the cloud" as opposed to in hard copies that are easily readable and recoverable. Most people, I think, don't know that "the cloud" is just borrowed server space in some California warehouse computer networks. One of the people I work with is a leading scholar of internet history, and he's constantly exasperated by the sorry state of digital archiving. It's a rough place to be; I really wonder in 20+ years how much of all this will be around and accessible.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Hey, maybe we can make a killing minting NFTS of forum posts? Toss a monkey Gilgamesh on there and we can score millions of dollars from Jimmy Fallon.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Moderators, ban this man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    Hey, maybe we can make a killing minting NFTS of forum posts? Toss a monkey Gilgamesh on there and we can score millions of dollars from Jimmy Fallon.
    Only in my wildest fever dreams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Moderators, ban this man.
    They hated him because he spoke the truth.

Seriously, there's got to be one stupid celebrity we can bilk before this scam completely legitimate money laundering scheme business opportunity bubble bursts.

Not Gweneth Paltrow though, she's already aped up. Maybe if we coloured it green and told her to shove it up her vagina?

Even if we try, we're the ones who are going to lose, not the already wealthy celebrities.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, it warms my heart to see so many people hating on crypto here. Not all is lost, I guess.
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Social media and Discordism also highlights the modern web's tendency towards ephemerality. It's probable that most of what is online today won't be archived, not to mention is increasingly difficult to archive as social media simultaneously trends towards centralisation. Archiving a forum or IRC logs is pretty common and easy - and has already been done by enterprising members of this forum - so a site host going down isn't the end of the world even if it's based on user record-keeping. Archiving all of Twitter, or Facebook, is a different story entirely, let alone less text-based platforms like TikTok or Instagram. In addition, people continue to happily store their stuff in "the cloud" as opposed to in hard copies that are easily readable and recoverable. Most people, I think, don't know that "the cloud" is just borrowed server space in some California warehouse computer networks. One of the people I work with is a leading scholar of internet history, and he's constantly exasperated by the sorry state of digital archiving. It's a rough place to be; I really wonder in 20+ years how much of all this will be around and accessible.
    I’ve thought about this in general. Digital records, whether on the cloud or at home, are unlikely to survive.

Unlike finding a book or writings on paper from a latin manuscript from the middle ages somewhere from 1000 years ago and translating it, no CD or VHS or hard drive is going to survive that long, and even if it did, the technology to read it will be long gone. You’re already out of luck if you get your hands on one of those even after the last 20 years.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

I guess the only solution would be to find a new storage medium for all that data. I hope those DNA-based storage media the news occasionally makes a big deal about catch on. Those could last for about 7 million years if they acted like real DNA.

People printing out fanfics might be on the golden path.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Historians looking back won’t find anything from the internet or digitally, but they’ll probably find information indirectly in books written about or referencing those things, just like there are people we know about like Socrates whose direct input we’re missing but know of indirectly.

...now that I think about it, our paper books probably aren’t going to last as long as vellum ones so even those won’t make it.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Also, it warms my heart to see so many people hating on crypto here. Not all is lost, I guess.
    Things is, I don't even hate crypto. It makes sense. Sure it's backed by nothing, but hey that's the risk you take. Even proper currencies can tank at random.

NFTs though, they bring to mind the old "Sell the Brooklyn Bridge" scam.

I do hate crypto.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Nanashi(kari)'s Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    And nothing of value was lost. In fact, my heart feels great relief knowing that cringiness from twitter and other social medias will be lost to time.
    まるで救われた気分だ.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, isn't it funny how older digital media can last longer just like older physical media (cuneiform, stone inscriptions, parchment)?
    It's like poetry.
    Last edited by Nanashi(kari); January 30th, 2022 at 04:41 PM.
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate. Much like Daybit, I am simply correct, and that is the end of the discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gosserbam View Post
    I am not a shitposter at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    Impressive argument.

Mine, however, is superior: you are dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevkraken View Post
    And you want to be taken seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubergeneral View Post
    The planet is on fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
    GOT DICK? ANY PENIS? COCK DONATIONS?

I'm glad my own posted cringe will some day disappear. Realistically does 90% of everything ever posted merit archival for thousands of years? Everything wears out after such a passage of time. The problem is we can't search up stuff posted mere months ago on twitter, discord and the like. Idk about insta I don't use it, maybe tumblr is a bit better but they run their absolutely buck wild keyword and tag censorings periodically to appeal to investors so not much better either.

I think every single one of our posts is worth maintaining an archeological record for because a thousand years down the line, or even 100, you bet that shit'll be worth its weight in gold. Look at how experts collectively squee over finding old diary entries and other such ancient shit posts.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Wait you can't find tweets after a few months on twitter? Then how do people always manage to dig up these decade old homophobic comments that ruin someones life by not letting him host the Oscars because he refuses to apologize?

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    I'm glad my own posted cringe will some day disappear. Realistically does 90% of everything ever posted merit archival for thousands of years? Everything wears out after such a passage of time. The problem is we can't search up stuff posted mere months ago on twitter, discord and the like. Idk about insta I don't use it, maybe tumblr is a bit better but they run their absolutely buck wild keyword and tag censorings periodically to appeal to investors so not much better either.
    It doesn't look important in the lived present, of course, but the core advantage of the digital age in terms of history is that we have records from a vastly more diverse group of people than any other period in history. From ancient Greece we have exactly one, fragmentary, piece of writing from a slave; in the digital age almost everyone has some kind of personal writing accessible online. The ideal examples are early web blogs which, among other things, include things written by children - a historical record almost nonexistent before the internet. There is a great deal we simply can't know about the lives of people in the past that even the most fastidious of microhistorians can't tease out. When it comes to digital records, it's a paradigm shift: historians of the future may either know about our societies with unprecedented detail, or they may know very little at all even by past standards.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless