Page 346 of 371 FirstFirst ... 246296336341344345346347348351356 ... LastLast
Results 6,901 to 6,920 of 7406

Thread: Beast's Lair History

I had a friend tell me he went to a church in england and burned a bible there.

Sometimes you just assume they are full of shit and couldnt possibly have done the act, let alone admit to doing it.

Given how weird most people just were, it wasnt really that far out considering it felt like every other month we were talking someone down from suicide or telling mouse to get back on his meds.

I can't say he was good at it, but I'm sure interacting a lot with new users in the 7th was a deliberate choice. He was aware what people thought of him but zero self awareness otherwise.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    If you do something illegal ironically, it's still a crime
    My statements are somewhat related to this which you are responding to which was in turn responding to another sentiment, but basically, when Break made jokes about his "stashes of kid pics" it was, initially, to me, just a guy with no self-awareness making really bad jokes, and he did not in fact have stashes of kid pics. However, when one day he came along and talked in detail about the self restraint he failed to pull from deep within when confronted with a little girl on the train and how he gave into his urge to sneak some pictures, it became apparent that these things which seemed like jokes, may not, be, in fact, jokes, probably,

Blog Entries
    To me he was always both a creep and also completely unaware of how he came off to others. Whatever the forum rules and procedures surrounding bans is, he deserved one much earlier for being a poisonous presence on the forum
    My attempts at being a (fanfic) writer:

Eclipse - a Saber Alter oneshot
    Requiem for a Race - Altrouge and Ortenrosse hunt the TAs ( 1/3 chapters, discontinued )
    Memories of a King - a 'Saber Origins' story ( 8/? chapters, discontiuned )
    A Small Warmth - a post UBW-Good oneshot, Saber/Rin
    Devil's Thrill - Narbareck hunts down a DAA Blackmore ( 10/10 chapters, finished )
    Boundary of Loneliness - Ryougi Shiki/Alphard Al-Shua oneshot. Lemon-flavoured

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubland View Post
    I had a friend tell me he went to a church in england and burned a bible there.

Sometimes you just assume they are full of shit and couldnt possibly have done the act, let alone admit to doing it.

Given how weird most people just were, it wasnt really that far out considering it felt like every other month we were talking someone down from suicide or telling mouse to get back on his meds.
    Oh I didn't go to the next page. Basically, this. I tend to just assume people on the internet are lying when they say something outlandish.

People not lying on the internet ended up being scarier than people lying on the internet.

マリーの味方
    Break's translations of the old Nero April Fool's joke a few years ago helped give me a million views on Youtube. My opinion of him starts and ends there.

I usually just ignore low quality posters, this is probably the only forum where I've actually used the ignore feature because reading their posts are nearly always a mistake.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Oh I didn't go to the next page. Basically, this. I tend to just assume people on the internet are lying when they say something outlandish.
    For me, I still look at that askance because well, why would you lie about horrible shit like that? Especially in the current internet culture?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    For me, I still look at that askance because well, why would you lie about horrible shit like that? Especially in the current internet culture?
    Because it wasn't the current internet culture?????????? We are discussing events from nearly a decade ago on a forum even older than that, where old internet culture held on and was much slower to erode.

Fair point, I was just explaining my approach in the now as opposed to retroactively applying it to the past. Also, the comment I was responding to was in present tense.

That, and even if we're talking old internet, which I wasn't really a part of, I'd probably still be cautious if someone claimed they did fucked up shit.
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Blog Entries
    There is no merit to discussing the now and applying it to the then. I'm not even being derisive when I say that I don't think you have any clue what "old internet" was like. It is a completely alien "culture" that is very close to dead.

I know that. I only really got online when I was 13, around 2011-12, so by then the old internet was dying. Still, the old internet was full of some pretty sus shit that people just let slide. This is just based on actual evidence, which would be true regardless of lived experience.

There was a much bigger disconnect from online and offline before. Speaking from experience, it was more like role play. You didnt bring reality into it if you didnt want to.

Nowadays, your online identity is pretty synonymous with your real one. But for the majority of my life it was not like that, you could be whoever behind a screen.

Some decided to play the part of absolute unhinged people. But it was also accepted that everything on the internet is a lie and girls arent real.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Moving on to something a bit more light-hearted yet still super disturbing, Break was one of a few forumites to have fanart dedicated to them.

Spoiler:
    don't quote me on this

Who did that? Also, that is kinda what I imagined Break to look like, if he does look like that.

- - - Updated - - -

There was a much bigger disconnect from online and offline before. Speaking from experience, it was more like role play. You didnt bring reality into it if you didnt want to.

Nowadays, your online identity is pretty synonymous with your real one. But for the majority of my life it was not like that, you could be whoever behind a screen.

Some decided to play the part of absolute unhinged people. But it was also accepted that everything on the internet is a lie and girls arent real.
    Also, I think it goes to say that this internet experience was only really true for a certain subset of users who could safely do so. It'd probably have sucked to actually have been a femme person or POC online, though I assume that wasn't always the case.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Who did that? Also, that is kinda what I imagined Break to look like, if he does look like that.
    Lonely Indian did the art. He did a bunch of users, not just Break.

Break did look like that, that drawing was based on a photo he posted.
    don't quote me on this

I know of at least two people that were in fact not girls in real life.

Racism is always going to be a thing, but you didnt have to announce you were a black asian jew unless you wanted to.

Strictly speaking, nobody cared who you were because everybody was a nobody.

Unrelated, but sort of not. I just remembered that time I guessed kotonoha's name because she didnt cross it out well enough and im pretty sure she has hated me ever since.

Oh my gods, he was a living, breathing stereotype...

Blog Entries
    Strictly speaking, nobody cared who you were because everybody was a nobody.
    This was a big part of it, honestly. It had a lot to do with how heavily emphasized the difference between "you on the internet" and "you on real life" was, and how strict you should be on yourself to keep them separate. Once the internet became this neat tool in your pocket thanks to smartphones the two yous began to slowly merge.

The two personas were I guess simply just different masks worn for different worlds, but as the internet became a more ubiquitous forum of IRL engagement, the masks became one and the same...