Page 303 of 371 FirstFirst ... 203253293298301302303304305308313353 ... LastLast
Results 6,041 to 6,060 of 7406

Thread: Beast's Lair History

Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    It was the thread in which a poster who seemingly bases their entire philosophy of life, the Universe, and everything on video games went on a rant about how they'd love to ride around decapitating Black Lives Matter protesters, and the mods (acting as a collective, but it *is* a group which includes someone who's a self-avowed pick-up artist - but only because he's so shy, see, otherwise he wouldn't be able to even talk to women! - and at least one person who thinks sex scenes with children - oh, forgive me, people who only *look* like children - is perfectly acceptable) responded with a slap on the wrist.
    Joined BL just to slander people, still slanders people on BL to this day. You rarely see such consistency in posters, well done.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I fear getting old, because I worry my ancient bad opinions will also calcify along with me and the idea of change becomes unthinkable.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    I fear getting old, because I worry my ancient bad opinions will also calcify along with me and the idea of change becomes unthinkable.
    I would simply bancancel into a 6.7k posts goldname.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    Joined BL just to slander people, still slanders people on BL to this day. You rarely see such consistency in posters, well done.
    "Slander" would imply falsehood, which I didn't employ either back then or just now.

Frankly, to make any false accusation about either BL's culture or most of its mods, I'd have to go to absurd lengths.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    "Slander" would imply falsehood, which I didn't employ either back then or just now.

Frankly, to make any false accusation about either BL's culture or most of its mods, I'd have to go to absurd lengths.
    Was the part about BLM true? I'd be willing to believe it, since I only really looked in time to see the Uyghur genocide denial and blatant Islamophobia. At least, I know the latter definitely happened. Still, I am not super surprised to learn a mod may have been at one point a self-described pickup artist. It certainly explains how self-proclaimed racists can continue to hang around here so long as they remain mostly silent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    I agree, in a way, that politics is inseparable from the human condition. It's just a working out of people's relationship to each other. Wherever there will be people, there will be politics. But politics is the art of compromise. Whenever you have a large group of people, you're going to have friction amongst different groups of people who believe different things. What's important isn't that you like those viewpoints -- but that you can co-exist.

When you go into the Gen News thread with the mentality that you're there to sniff out those who don't meet the ideological litmus test and get them thrown out, it's actually making the site a worse place. Because this is a forum, one for discussion, but the conversation is over when you're just condemning people from a position of deciding who's morally upright or not. This isn't a PTA meeting, it's a forum to talk about anime games. In that sense, the presence of the Gen News thread with this mentality just stirred up hostility amongst the users that didn't need to be there.

While others didn't like the thread itself, personally, I thought the politics thread would have been fine -- if everyone could keep to a civil discussion. Dealing with bad eggs isn't a job for random people in the thread, nor is it their right to take it upon themselves what's best for everyone else and just have a go at it. It's easy to deal with the former though, and they have been dealt with. In most cases, the people who really are rotten can't help themselves and end up getting themselves banned in due time. But that doesn't excuse fostering a toxic environment that just brings down the level of discourse for everyone else. Are we in that thread to talk about politics? Or to rail against other users who we don't want there?

And yes, I know towards the end there was some pretty crazy posting, but I'm speaking about the entire lifetime of the thread. I know there were plenty of times I would have contributed something but didn't bother because it was just going to get someone like Rodyle screaming for no reason. That's a waste of time! I imagine there's other posters like me that would've participated but didn't because it was a dumpster fire.

At the end of the day, there's always going to be people who don't see things your way, and part of life is learning to get by with that.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

True, discussion and compromise are an intrinsic part of living in a society. Yeah, no, screw the Joker memes - we *do* live in a society, and there's a level of violence intrinsic to that (above and beyond all forms of power being a form of violence) which we accept because it's still better than any of the alternatives we've come up with.

(Mind, I say that as someone who doesn't have faith in the long-term sustainability of Bakunin-style anarchism, but who knows?)

The discussions we have and - most importantly - *what* we compromise on is important, however. We can't place discussions regarding actual human rights on the same level as discussions over whether a specific politician did a good job or not, to use two abstract examples; human rights should *never* be up for discussion, period.

Separately from that, but still related, some discussions are inherently opposed to the very concept of taking part in a society. "There's no sexism in Fate/Stay Night" is grounds for discussion (though spoiler alert: that's objectively wrong); "I would murder you if I saw you at a protest" isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Was the part about BLM true?
    Completely.

- - - Updated - - -

Mind, I'm not opposed to Gen. News simply not existing; I understand why the mods made that decision, and while I would have decided differently, I don't see it as something to condemn or criticise. But just like Beast's Lair (as in, the forum and its administrators) doesn't owe any posters a thread for discussing politics (or any thread, really, considering this is a private space), it *also* doesn't owe anyone space to, say, explore their masturbatory fantasies about murdering people.

("But Spoony," you might say, "didn't they scrub that post and give the poster a temporary ban?" To which I'd reply: yes. A *temporary* ban. Whereas other posters were *permanently* banned and are still trash-talked to this day for... Posting too aggressively about economic and social justice politics? Huh. Funny, that.)

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    True, discussion and compromise are an intrinsic part of living in a society. Yeah, no, screw the Joker memes - we *do* live in a society, and there's a level of violence intrinsic to that (above and beyond all forms of power being a form of violence) which we accept because it's still better than any of the alternatives we've come up with.

(Mind, I say that as someone who doesn't have faith in the long-term sustainability of Bakunin-style anarchism, but who knows?)

The discussions we have and - most importantly - *what* we compromise on is important, however. We can't place discussions regarding actual human rights on the same level as discussions over whether a specific politician did a good job or not, to use two abstract examples; human rights should *never* be up for discussion, period.

Separately from that, but still related, some discussions are inherently opposed to the very concept of taking part in a society. "There's no sexism in Fate/Stay Night" is grounds for discussion (though spoiler alert: that's objectively wrong); "I would murder you if I saw you at a protest" isn't.

Completely.
    Well, human rights is a concept constantly under development. 100 years ago it wasn't considered a right for women to vote. In some places, housing and healthcare are considered rights while in other places they're considered economic commodities. With abortion, some people consider the woman's "right to choose" while others focus on the child's "right to life." I don't think it's as simple as "I think this is a human right so the entire discussion is off the table." I mean, gay marriage itself would have never taken off in the last two decades if the concept of entertaining a flexibility and change in the term wasn't entertained. This is where you have to be willing to humor other viewpoints. There is a distinction to be made between actual differences on this matter and just being racist.

For the latter you can just report it. In fact I think that was reported.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Nah, you just failed to mention the self-avowed PUA refers to someone hanging out in those internet circles as a teenager a decade ago to learn how to talk to girls, how by child-diddling you mean fictional girlchildren, and how LVL was tempbanned and given his second strike for that post. Imagine if you were actually trying. Very excited to see if you'll name the people you're accusing with such confidence and back up your word.

Also no one is obligated to pander to your perception of how the anime forum whose rules you agreed to should morally conduct itself. However, you are very welcome for our instant permaban of the latest raving racist in Gennews. I didn't see you ever mention it, but I like to think you approved.

It certainly explains how self-proclaimed racists can continue to hang around here so long as they remain mostly silent.
    Grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    Well, human rights is a concept constantly under development. 100 years ago it wasn't considered a right for women to vote.
    And that was fought 100 years ago, and in fact had been contested quite a few times before that, so...

I mean, let's assume History is exactly as conservatives like to think it is and that all social issues were created wholecloth in the last five years or so; a falsehood, but let's humour them.
    *Why* would that change anything? Even if, say, trans people literally only appeared last year, and black people were only desegregated the year before that... Why should we compromise on those groups' basic right to freedom and life?

Blog Entries
    Here's your (You)

Nah, you just failed to mention the self-avowed PUA refers to someone hanging out in those internet circles as a teenager a decade ago to learn how to talk to girls, how by child-diddling you mean fictional girlchildren, and how LVL was tempbanned and given his second strike for that post. Imagine if you were actually trying. Very excited to see if you'll name the people you're accusing with such confidence and back up your word.
    Why? You already knew who I was referring to. ;-)

However, you are very welcome for our instant permaban of the latest raving racist in Gennews. I didn't see you ever mention it, but I like to think you approved.
    I had actually forgotten about that! So yes, kudos for that.

Grow up.
    Don't be a hypocrite. You know he's right - you couldn't care less about the personal politics of anyone here as long as you never had to deal with them.

Why? You already knew who I was referring to. ;-)
    For a viking you sure have no cojones ;Λ)

Don't be a hypocrite. You know he's right - you couldn't care less about the personal politics of anyone here as long as you never had to deal with them.
    I don't care about the personal politics of anyone here as long as I don't have to step in, because I'm a socially adjusted adult who can tolerate people without agreeing with them on every single aspect of life. Are you?

For a viking you sure have no cojones ;Λ)
    And your shitty-ass Spinach - a.k.a. the guy who likes to fantasise about diddling kids - just went to a server to harass people, so...

I don't care about the personal politics of anyone here as long as I don't have to step in, because I'm a socially adjusted adult who can tolerate people without agreeing with them on every single aspect of life. Are you?
    That depends. I can tolerate the asinine opinions of people who have only watched popular anime trying to do critical analysis of a novel; I can't tolerate people who think human beings don't deserve to exist in any way they'd like to because, as it turns out, I'm not a shitty human being.

"Making no choice is still a choice", and all that.

Blog Entries
    Spoony, just call people mean names already, I’m on the edge of my seat
    [12:37] <I3uster> if playing overwatch would save my mother from the deathbed
    [12:37] <I3uster> id probably flip a coin
    [12:38] <I3uster> to see if i play or not

[18:23] <frantic> spinach is like a caffeine zombie

[18:23] <frantic> in AX he would like
    [18:23] <frantic> drink 8 shots of espresso
    [18:23] <frantic> then he'd turn to me an hour later
    [18:23] <frantic> 'frantic', he'd say, his eyes wild and his lips smug
    [18:23] <frantic> 'i need coffee'

And your shitty-ass Spinach - a.k.a. the guy who likes to fantasise about diddling kids - just went to a server to harass people, so...
    That's step one, now name the other child-diddlers and the pick-up artist and present your evidence.

That depends. I can tolerate the asinine opinions of people who have only watched popular anime trying to do critical analysis of a novel; I can't tolerate people who think human beings don't deserve to exist in any way they'd like to because, as it turns out, I'm not a shitty human being.

"Making no choice is still a choice", and all that.
    I make a choice every time I hand LVL an infraction, same as everyone else who thinks they can say whatever shit they want on the forum. I don't get to choose which demographic to cull on the basis of right-to-exist, sorry to say.

Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    Well, human rights is a concept constantly under development. 100 years ago it wasn't considered a right for women to vote. In some places, housing and healthcare are considered rights while in other places they're considered economic commodities. With abortion, some people consider the woman's "right to choose" while others focus on the child's "right to life." I don't think it's as simple as "I think this is a human right so the entire discussion is off the table." I mean, gay marriage itself would have never taken off in the last two decades if the concept of entertaining a flexibility and change in the term wasn't entertained. This is where you have to be willing to humor other viewpoints. There is a distinction to be made between actual differences on this matter and just being racist.

For the latter you can just report it. In fact I think that was reported.
    You can dress it up how you like, but under the framework that most of us, and our society as a whole, operates under, I think anyone attempting to debate the equality of another's existence or their right to exist is just being a bigot. Unfortunately, we're not at the point where people do largely believe, at least in the US, that shelter and food are guaranteed human rights, but we can at least say that one's identity is.

Also, totally agree with everything Spoony's been saying, and I appreciate the tag team. I'll also say this though. I don't think highly of those who claim an ideology in which bigotry of any kind functions as the noxious core, and any "ideology" that does so cannot be allowed in a forum like this for the sake of the safety and well-being of members of this forum, many of who are non-white, LGBTQ+, women, or others who might be targeted by seething bigots. To ensure a safe, tolerant haven for TM discussion, we need to root out those bigots who actively poison the discourse. This isn't an ideological discussion, this is one of doing right or wrong by the members of our community.
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Just wanted to check if you were lying again, and you were! So now I can give you what you always wanted from the outset.....

PUBLIC WARNING TO SPOONY VIKING

Don't tell malicious lies about other users, kay?

And that was fought 100 years ago, and in fact had been contested quite a few times before that, so...

I mean, let's assume History is exactly as conservatives like to think it is and that all social issues were created wholecloth in the last five years or so; a falsehood, but let's humour them.
    *Why* would that change anything? Even if, say, trans people literally only appeared last year, and black people were only desegregated the year before that... Why should we compromise on those groups' basic right to freedom and life?
    Exactly. Just because the rights of others were at one point a debate doesn't exactly endorse the fact that those groups didn't have their rights respected.

Also, totally agree with everything Spoony's been saying, and I appreciate the tag team. I'll also say this though. I don't think highly of those who claim an ideology in which bigotry of any kind functions as the noxious core, and any "ideology" that does so cannot be allowed in a forum like this for the sake of the safety and well-being of members of this forum, many of who are non-white, LGBTQ+, women, or others who might be targeted by seething bigots. To ensure a safe, tolerant haven for TM discussion, we need to root out those bigots who actively poison the discourse. This isn't an ideological discussion, this is one of doing right or wrong by the members of our community.
    You're gonna carry that weight, bro.