Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 456781116 ... LastLast

Thread: Fate/Moon White Redux Discussion

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Verg Avesta View Post
    That "homogenized" character won't be getting in the RP, as the search is specifically for interesting characters. If you submit one, you are already setting up for a loss.
    I mean post approval, in the RP itself. People simply won't be RPing out specific conflicts (especially if there is a chance for there to be a tangible negative effect) and don't technically disagree with their Servant/Master in any significant way.

And unlike pre-determined pairs, randomized pairs are "natural" in their interactions as they cannot expect everything to go smoothly. You're dealing with another being there, and backstabbing or betrayal has a chance of happening unless you find a common ground. RP-ing that Master/Servant relationship becomes an actual point, rather than something you can just plan ahead and present to me with bullet points.
    I feel like the larger issue at play would be Player/Player friction, rather then actual IC incompatibility of characters (e.g players who just don't mesh well, but are matched together regardless). IC backstabbing and betrayal are about as likely to happen either way, honestly (its just that it ends up being a more impulsive action with randomized pairs).

I feel that in the end we might up with honestly no interesting character conflicts (especially since its much harder to improvise a relationship that interestingly meshes in some way, and people might just choose to go with the very standard Master-Servant relationship we so often see in RPs).

Also, it effectively prevents players from creating "super-combos" where Master's and Servant's abilities mesh just perfectly to create game-breaking effects. I know some of you will try that.
    This I can agree with.

I think that it can be curbed by balancing, but it is obviously an annoyance and somewhat tedious issue, which is a strong argument for randomized pairs.
    Last edited by Mellon; November 19th, 2014 at 02:25 AM.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Well Mellon, you can always hedge your bets and think up a way for your character to interact with a bunch of different kinds of Masters. Maybe even make a flowchart.

I know that I, for one, am planning on making a Servant that's all but guaranteed to annoy pretty much every possible Master.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloble View Post
    Well Mellon, you can always hedge your bets and think up a way for your character to interact with a bunch of different kinds of Masters. Maybe even make a flowchart.

I know that I, for one, am planning on making a Servant that's all but guaranteed to annoy pretty much every possible Master.
    Honestly, if I can already credibly predict the potential personality of my unknown Master without knowing a thing about them, I would be seriously disappointed.

Because that would mean that they are pretty formulaic.

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellon View Post
    I mean post approval, in the RP itself. People simply won't be RPing out specific conflicts (especially if there is a chance for there to be a tangible negative effect) and don't technically disagree with their Servant/Master in any significant way.
    So you're arguing that if some people don't get to pair with the player they want, they refuse to play properly?

This isn't kindergarten.

I feel like the larger issue at play would be Player/Player friction, rather then actual IC incompatibility of characters (e.g players who just don't mesh well, but are matched together regardless). IC backstabbing and betrayal are about as likely to happen either way, honestly (its just that it ends up being a more impulsive action with randomized pairs).

I feel that in the end we might up with honestly no interesting character conflicts (especially since its much harder to improvise a relationship that interestingly meshes in some way, and people might just choose to go with the very standard Master-Servant relationship we so often see in RPs).
    Randomizing the pairs forces the Master/Servant relationships to be natural in style. It's not about a duo created to support each other or match perfectly with each other to create the most amazing story ever. It's like how it really is: two different individuals forced to cooperate in order to win something. This is what creates the dynamics between the pairs and players.

Also, "no character conflicts"? I'd much rather watch something improvised and actually surprising rather than something that's been planned since before the beginning of the RP and is now presented like two actors reading a script. An RP is and should be all about improvisation. Not covering all of your bases before the thing start so that everything goes exactly as you want it. Having your partner be someone who you don't know about, and who you don't know if you can trust, prevents that.

Alas, there is not much I can do about the "I don't like this player I don't wanna partner up with him" part. Like I said, this isn't kindergarten. I can, of course, make sure that there are some points of connection between the pairs, but that's about it.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It honestly is just more fun to play with somebody you get along well. I don't think we really would have any drama with randomized pairs but people definitely would be more motivated to post with people they talk to off-site.

I personally don't see the powerlevel concern in that as too big tbh if the Master/Servant powerlevel differential is Regalia-like. NPs carry most of a pairs powerlevel and those can't really be interfered with on a Master level.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Mate, that's noice as fuck! Vagrant's Avatar
    Wherever my body is, my heart is still in Straya, cunt
    Blog Entries
    But-but-but I don't talk to anybody off-site ;_;

Being lonely Lancer is suffering.

Blog Entries
    I literally had a half-hour conversation about Australian rap with you off-site.

Don't turn this thread into a house of lies.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It honestly is just more fun to play with somebody you get along well.
    I don't think you quite understand, Buster.

This is Ashaverse RP.

FUN IS NOT ALLOWED

ONLY SERIOUS BUSINESS

Wouldn't premade Servant/Master pairs pretty much shut down the people who aren't really entrenched in the RP section but would still like to participate?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Pair people based on their taste in music.

Also i havent been in the thread for a while, are the spaces taken now or still free?

Blog Entries
    Not really because pairs are chosen after merit selection.

and merit selection does what you said better hue

Both ways of doing things have their pros and cons. Let's not defend either to death cause neither of them is perfect or follows 'the way it should be'.

If you are determined to go random, personally, I'd rather it not be... Well, entirely random. GM picks would be better, as random can give you interesting duos just as it can give you lame pairs and wasted potential. GM pick ensures good dynamics and allows for some balance to be done when matchmaking. Just in case, a non killing Master on summoning rule could be good cause that shit would be totally lame in a RP.

I like premade better, I honestly don't believe it is as scripted as you make it sound, but I am up for anything really.

Wouldn't premade Servant/Master pairs pretty much shut down the people who aren't really entrenched in the RP section but would still like to participate
    Pairs would be picked by players themselves after they are approved.
    [18:30] RacingeR: Max S.Link with hero is when you promise your daughter to him
    [18:31] RacingeR: Which means Airen and me are the only ones that maxed it (I promised Spin to him, and Spin is my daughter)
    [18:32] hero: oh shit
    [18:32] hero: spincess get
    [18:32] hero: suck it fuckers

Aha. The people already making pairs on IRC must've gotten me confused.

More importantly.

Rulebook progress?
    [18:31] RacingeR: Which means Airen and me are the only ones that maxed it (I promised Spin to him, and Spin is my daughter)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hero View Post
    More importantly.

Rulebook progress?
    Should I do like Commie and throw an arbitrary percentage to the OP to sate the curiosity? - 3-

it better not be lower than 99%

(yes)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    So Verg, as i said id like to participate, where do i send sheets and what format would they be? I have ideas both for servants
    Spoiler:
    Archer Oda Nobunaga, Caster Nikola Tesla
    and masters.

There is no rulebook, so you can't do shiz, break.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hero View Post
    There is no rulebook, so you can't do shiz, break.
    What hero said here.

No rulebook, nothing to be done yet. As I said in the OP, this thread was just done in advance because people wanted to hype.

Blog Entries
    Also it's not a good idea to tell people what Servant you run.

hero does it regardless which should tell you.