Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fate/Ergo Sum *AKA Fate/Stay Night WITH PHILOSOPHERS!!*

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fate/Ergo Sum *AKA Fate/Stay Night WITH PHILOSOPHERS!!*

(Reposting this as its own thread because nobody seemed to reply when I put it over in Miscellaneous Thoughts)

You know what would be the most amazing/ridiculous thing ever (hyperbolically speaking, that is)? A Fate spinoff where the Servant roster consists entirely of famous philosophers from throughout history. Obviously the designs would be totally over-the-top and anime-ified (and probably genderbent, because why the fuck not) with powers based off their philosophical beliefs, like William of Ockham would be a blonde bishonen obsessed with "simplicity" swinging around a gigantic straight-razor/sword Cloud Strife style, Descartes could cast illusions and use Vector Magic ala Medusa from Soul Eater, Hobbes could summon a giant tentacled "leviathan" to besiege his foes and so on. Oh and Diogenes would be a cute girl with dog ears who'd carry around a magical lantern and be all super abrasive and tsun-tsun to everyone except Antisthenes (also genderbent) who she'd have boatloads of yuri subtext with. Have I hit enough archetypes yet?

So whaddya think guys, greatest anime/manga idea ever or greatest manga/anime idea ever? (False dilemma? Pfft, what are you talking about?) Also feel free to put down your own crazy ideas for philosophers as Heroic Spirits so I can shamelessly steal them and use them for myself mwahahahahaa! *shot*

Blog Entries
    Firstly, there's not really a need for a separate thread for this.
    Secondly, there is an extreme lack of Thales as a waterbender, Heraclitus as a firebender, and/or Anaximenes as an earthbender.
    Last edited by Lycodrake; December 6th, 2015 at 10:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

JP Friend Code
    Hume with a causality-denying attack (even if blocked it hits, because you can't prove the cause of blocking the attack leads into the consequence of the attack being blocked)
    Nietzche with a God-killing NP (the higher the opponent's divinity, the stronger)
    Sartre as a Berserker, because of radical freedom
    Fate/Grand Order Friend code: 941022491/マヅィリアン

Some manga raws
    Mediafire folder

マリーの味方
    i think should probably be in fan fiction

Blog Entries
    This sounds like something for the Fanfic Idea Thread.

It's not an actual Fate work or a thought-provoking or even meme-riffic poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    This sounds like something for the Fanfic Idea Thread.

It's not an actual Fate work or a thought-provoking or even meme-riffic poll.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post

So whaddya think guys, greatest anime/manga idea ever or greatest manga/anime idea ever? (False dilemma? Pfft, what are you talking about?) Also feel free to put down your own crazy ideas for philosophers as Heroic Spirits so I can shamelessly steal them and use them for myself mwahahahahaa! *shot*
    I mean its pretty much given.

Blog Entries
    it's also... come on man occam's literal razor...
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazyrian View Post
    Hume with a causality-denying attack (even if blocked it hits, because you can't prove the cause of blocking the attack leads into the consequence of the attack being blocked)
    Nietzche with a God-killing NP (the higher the opponent's divinity, the stronger)
    Sartre as a Berserker, because of radical freedom
    Those are some good ideas! Especially Hume's. Nietzche's god-killing attack is also nice (if not terribly hard to think of). Funny story, I'd thought of doing a Caster Nietzche sheet once upon a time, with the same idea as you for a NP (called Gott Ist Tot of course) that would do more damage based on the opponent's degree of Divinity (plus an Ubermensch NP that would temporarily give him an enormous stat boost through embodying his conception of the "ideal man"). Ended up scrapping it because Ubermensch on its own would be generic and I couldn't think of how Gott Ist Tot would be visualized. Seriously, if anyone can think of a cool visual effect to accompany a god-killing attack (preferably something that references Nietzche's philosophy in some way) then I'd be totally in your debt.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wongdong Modernart View Post
    it's also... come on man occam's literal razor...
    What's wrong with that? It wouldn't be anime without at least one dude slinging around a giant sword after all. I actually wrote up an entire Saber Occam sheet for a hypothetical Fate fanfic, with the razor as his Noble Phantasm that would show him the simplest path to cutting the enemy. I'd written up a Personality section, Appearance and everything. But I ended up deciding that was a little too out there and ended up replacing him with Arsalan instead (interestingly enough, I more or less reused his appearance for my Columbus sheet later).
    Last edited by RoydGolden; December 6th, 2015 at 11:14 PM.

Blog Entries
    See, modern/post-modern philosophers might be okay, but why focus on them when you can focus on my friend Zeno of Elea? Achilles would hate him.
    Or at least give some focus to the elementally-minded pre-Socratics that I mentioned.

Also, yeah, Occam would be much more interesting without the *literal* huge-ass sword idea.
    Last edited by Lycodrake; December 6th, 2015 at 11:14 PM.
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    What's wrong with that? It wouldn't be anime without at least one dude slinging around a giant sword after all, and Occam's the closest thing to fitting that.
    Wanna see some whacked out shit, not a pile of anime cliches and the most literal interpretations possible off of their wiki description.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    Wait, what.

- - - Updated - - -

Please move this to fan-fiction subforum.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycodrake View Post
    See, modern/post-modern philosophers might be okay, but why focus on them when you can focus on my friend Zeno of Elea? Achilles would hate him.
    Or at least give some focus to the elementally-minded pre-Socratics that I mentioned.

Also, yeah, Occam would be much more interesting without the *literal* huge-ass sword idea.
    Xeno would make a good Caster, I'd imagine. His NP would be called Paradox Road- The Ever-Expanding Path To Nowhere and it's effect would be perpetually increasing the distance between him and the opponent so no matter how they go they still can't reach him (but it can be overcome if they go faster then the rate at which distance is being increased). Maybe his other paradoxes could be used for different NPs or something, not really sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wongdong Modernart View Post
    Wanna see some whacked out shit, not a pile of anime cliches and the most literal interpretations possible off of their wiki description.
    Haven't you read the first post? Y'know, the one with genderbend Inumimi Diogenes? The whole point of this thread is mixing philosophy and silly anime clichés up in a blender and seeing what sticks. I'm a tad surprised you decided to take issue with Literal!Occam instead of that one, honestly.
    Last edited by RoydGolden; December 6th, 2015 at 11:20 PM.

Blog Entries
    I thought you actually asked about where to put this in another thread and were directed towards the Fanfic subforum? Unless I'm thinking of somebody else.

Blog Entries
    Wasn't me. Literally the only response I got when I posted this in the Miscellaneous section was "Heck off. " in response to me whoring for replies. You must be thinking of someone else.

Blog Entries
    I wonder if Plato would have First Magic, since the core principles behind it (what exists always exists, "change" is an illusion of sense perception) are pretty clearly inspired by his philosophy. Would make him a pretty powerful Caster, that's for sure (as well as the fame boost he'd inevitably get for being "the father of modern philosophy"). Plus he'd definitely have his titular cave as a Reality Marble of some sort (not sure what its effect would be, though).

Blog Entries
    I wonder if Plato would have First Magic, since the core principles behind it (what exists always exists, "change" is an illusion of sense perception) are pretty clearly inspired by his philosophy.
    That's Parmenides, not Plato. Also that's a lot of assumptions to be making from the very very little we know about the First Magic.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Blog Entries
    Yeah, it was Parmenides who believed change to be an illusion, not Plato. Still though, Plato may have acknowledged the existence of change, but he certainly didn't recognize it as ontologically fundamental. It's only the apparent world that changes, the real world, the world of forms which ours is just an imperfect shadow of, exists eternally. And from what little we know of it, First Magic seems to work by similar principles (I imagine it allows for apparent "creation" of matter by basically summoning it from platonic space).

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    That's Parmenides, not Plato. Also that's a lot of assumptions to be making from the very very little we know about the First Magic.
    That's what fanfics are for if you can flesh it out well enough.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    Those are some good ideas! Especially Hume's. Nietzche's god-killing attack is also nice (if not terribly hard to think of). Funny story, I'd thought of doing a Caster Nietzche sheet once upon a time, with the same idea as you for a NP (called Gott Ist Tot of course) that would do more damage based on the opponent's degree of Divinity (plus an Ubermensch NP that would temporarily give him an enormous stat boost through embodying his conception of the "ideal man"). Ended up scrapping it because Ubermensch on its own would be generic and I couldn't think of how Gott Ist Tot would be visualized. Seriously, if anyone can think of a cool visual effect to accompany a god-killing attack (preferably something that references Nietzche's philosophy in some way) then I'd be totally in your debt.
    Why would Nietzsche have a god-killing anything?
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Blog Entries
    Wir haben ihn getötet - ihr und ich!

Unless you seriously mean to dissociate Nietzsche from his prophetic characters.

That said, killing God rather misses the point of Nietzsche. God is either already dead, or inevitably to die, whether he struggles or not. The important thing is how one goes from there: does one raise up a new God from the corpse, or raise it up from oneself?
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair