Page 1 of 25 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: Ouroboros - Magus Wars IC

Ouroboros - Magus Wars IC

Scribes
    Tokyo, Scribe Headquarters at Ginza
    July 7th, 2041
    10 AM

Scribe headquarters, Tokyo Branch.

It wasn't as big of a building as one would have thought of, but still it was state-of-art in terms of technology and magical protection. A multi-layered protection field and concealment barrier had been placed around it, but that was only for internal functions. The outside of the building was a perfectly simple business tower and with illusions of thousands of normal workers running around doing their jobs - all an intricate ruse to throw off mundanes who wandered by.

It was here where Morisaku Ryosuke, former street punk, was positioned. The rumors about Ouroborus were a chance for him. In various ways. While the higher ups at Yggdrasil were more than happy to send him along this dangerous mission, for if they were lucky they could both gain much data from his work and also the parts of Ouroborus, it was news of the Flag infiltrating the city on jobs against the Undying Snake that interested Ryosuke as a more immediate focal point. This was literally a chance for him to get two birds with one stone!

Just having finished his physical check up at the medical lab, Ryosuke strolled down the corridor leading to his current boss’s room, having been summoned. A lax man who tried to keep peaceful ties with those in the Resistance mostly if possible, Brigadier General Tokiwa was having a bunch of headaches lately due to the sudden rise of clashes and other issues under his jurisdiction. He also was a rather lax man with protocol, thus your general attitude was usually overlooked with a smile. However, you could sense that he was not a General only in name, but that he actually had the power to back it up if needed.

Spoiler:

“Oh, its you, Sergeant Morisaku. Please enter.”

Even before you opened the door to his room, the mellow voice of your new boss rang out from inside. As perceptive as ever.

As you opened the door and entered, you saw two other individuals in the room, sitting in the sofa. One boy, one girl. They looked rather young, but you could feel they had rather good training, as well as quite some inherent magic power. The boy had a white hood on with a slightly darker complexion, while the girl’s skin was pure white and yet her hair and clothing were a pure jet black. Both gave off the impression of being somewhat seasoned in combat.

“Well then, let me introduce you to each other. Knights, this is Sergeant Ryosuke who will be helping you with your mission. Sergeant, greet the two Knights of the Round from England - Sir Aglovale and...Mordred.”

He ended the sentence on a slightly hesitant tone, as if being careful of the one addressed as Mordred would mind. Nothing visible happened though, of course. After introductions, the two knights gave quick nods as if acknowledging their names, and that was all. You promply seated yourself on the other sofa, making yourself at home while the General kept talking.

“These two have come to this small branch of ours because of the ‘Ouroborus Case’. Their orders are to capture the Freelancer and put him under our custody for several reasons - keeping public order, the control of a potentially dangerous magecraft, and safeguarding the Old Snake from any threats….or at least, that was what was put on paper.”

Throwing a small letter -probably the document holding the two Knight’s order - down back on his desk, the general started pacing through the room.

“It’s not that I have any doubts about the KoTR’s pure motives, but as a single mage, I am rather concerned to what this may entail….of course, this could even spark a war between the Resistance and the Scribes, considering it may destroy the power balance that was so painstakingly maintained.”

Sighing, he scratched his head, sitting on the single chair at the top of the table you were all sitting at.

“So here’s a job, and a request. As far as I know the two Knights here are going to be doing independent searches for the Snake. I also know that Yggdrasil sent you over for the exact same kind of mission, although I highly doubt if their motives are as pure as that of the KoTR.”

Folding his hands, the general gave his orders.

“Please try and work together with these two in order to end this ‘Case’ as fast as possible, and try not to cause too much...trouble. I would much hate it for my relations with Abe no Seimei to be ruined just because a random old man figures he may show himself on our doorstep and destroy all the work I have done up to this point.”

Blog Entries
    Morisaku Ryosuke
    July 7th, 2041
    10 AM

Morisaku Ryosuke entered the room with the casual stroll of someone who knew exactly how much he could get away with. He snapped a lazy, almost insulting salute to his General, and listened to the introduction with his head cocked, treating each word as if it was some kind of delectable morsel. When time came for acknowledgement of the newcomers, he was quick to speak.

"No prob, Generalissimo," the young man said, flashing the two knights a sharp grin, revealing teeth as sharp as knives. "I'm sure I'll get along fine with the Super-Squires." Of course they wouldn't truly be knights, or if they were, they could not have held their posts for long. If Ryosuke was a low-mid level soldier, then they were about on the same level as him, and he had heard enough stories about the Knights of the Round to know that any one of the elite was worth 10 of a lowly Sergeant.

Not that such logic mattered. Their reactions to the jab would more than suffice.

Ryosuke sank into his couch like a man collapsing after a long day's work, crossing one leg over the other and spreading his arms across the back rest, as if claiming the furniture for himself. It wouldn't matter, because his eyes were still sharp. The general would only care that the proper attention was being given, not that a soldier was failing to follow proper protocol when greeting newcomers.

At the words about an “Old Snake”, the boy twitched, almost imperceptibly. If before he’d granted the general his full attention, now the man was getting a hundred and ten percent of it. There was power in that name, power even he wasn’t completely ignorant of. Something in Ryosuke’s chest twitched, and for a moment his heart felt like it was being squeezed shut. Yes, that name was one with a certain level of significance.

Capture the Freelancer, eh? He could do that, or at least give it a fair shot.

Preventing war? Not so much. But what was life without a bit of fun?

“Of course, sir,” Ryosuke said to the end of Tokiwa’s address. “Don’t you worry one bit. We’ll nab that ratty old snake before he can mess anything up and stick him in a Scribe-funded retirement home where he belongs. Seimei won’t be able to say a thing.”

“As for Yggdrassil, that won’t be a problem. Those guys are too absorbed in their own stuff to care about shit like public order. The nerds probably just want their precious data. They’ll be happy enough if I make it back alive. Or hell, dead will do. Some people ain’t particular about that sort of stuff. You bring back my body, Jeckyl and Hyde won’t stir up anything.”

And then, just because he recognized a certain name from mythology, he shot a sideways glance at the dark girl, smirking at her with his eyes alone. With an outfit like that… it was obvious who she was. And if the General had taken care not to trample over one’s feelings, Ryosuke wasn’t gonna be so gentle about it.

“Besides,” he said slowly. “With big names like these two on the case, you might as well consider Mission Accomplished right here and now.”

Resistance
    Tokyo, Fenrir Hideout at Shinjuku
    July 7th, 2041
    10 AM

Tired. That was the first word that came to the mind of Emelie Ingesson after her long flight to Japan. While it was the fastest means of transportation, it hadn’t been easy sneaking in all her combat matierial without some help from a local illusionist. You had, after all, never been too attuned with the finer arts of trickery and deception.

Having arrived at Shinjuku station, you took out a note from your pocket. Apparently Fenrir was going to be helping for this time’s operation. The local Resistance wasn’t too keen on a Ouroborus hunt after all, but they at least had provided quarters for Fenrir, which seemed to be the most interested in this case of events. Rumor was the leader, Hailanth, was somewhat obsessed in recruiting the Old Snake to their cause against the Scribes. Well, many people had vendettas against the Scribe group, didn’t they?

Walking towards the aforementioned area, you sensed the presence of a rather obvious barrier. As you entered the field, however, the properties of the field suddenly changed - apparently it was just a method of inviting you in. Smart move, really. There weren’t too many people who could instantly change the magical ties of a barrier to make it take up a number of various attributes.

“Heeey, over here.”

You looked up, seeing a rather jolly looking individual waving at you.

Spoiler:

You see a unkempt old man in a shabby aloha shirt waving at you, as if he had no cares in the world. You don’t recognize him, but you do sense that the barrier was his doing.

“Just enter from the door and come to the 2nd floor~the others are waiting for you there as well!!”

With a wave, the dirty blond hair disappeared into the window. You could swear you smelled alcohol on his speech. There were two other magical individuals up there as well - one had a rather wild but serene signature, the other hand something very...bestial to it. Almost similar to what you could sometimes sense from your sword.

Entering the door, you found yourself in a dirty disheveled room full of random furniture. Dust and old books were everywhere, making the area look like a complete mess. Wrinkling your brow, you walk up the stairs, finding an equally dirty pub-like area. And in the middle of it, the old blond man is tipping his glass while laughing.

There were also two other individuals in the area. You pass your eyes over them, taking in their characteristics.

One was wearing a horned mask of sorts, his face not discernible behind the weird shape . His eyes were mere globes of energy from behind the mask, and his breath sounded unnatural, out of this world. He smelled like nature, but with an un-tamable wildness behind it. He felt...inhuman? Or rather, something ascended from humanity. He was standing in a dark corner, silent, waiting, not really looking at anything or anyone.

One was a rather normal looking asian girl who was making small talk to the drunk blond. She was wearing something that looked much like a modified straightjacket and glasses. As the girl turned to face you with a smile, you suddenly had the shudders. It was as if she was looking through your body, taking in every nook and cranny, studying it with a stare that almost felt like licking you all over.

“Well then, I greet you, follower of the Great Empress, bless her dainty hands! Bwahaha-”

Then there was this blond man, of course.

“My name is Togane Shishigami, nice to meetcha. I’m the resident Resistance mage of Onmyodo, pupil of Abe no Seimei, our great leader of the Japanese front~ Thank you for joining me in this humble abode, with plans of greatness~”

Hiccuping, the drunk mage pointed at the two others.

“These two are from Fenrir, as you would know, from all the way in Germany~The horned one is called..Cernu..Cernon...eh whatever. Some Welsh god of hunt name, I think! The Dame, on the other hand, is a Korean mage! Hey, we don’t get many of those! Name was...Jun? Something. Sorry! I’m bad with names, Miss Ingle..somethingamagig.”

Hiccuping again, the disheveled mage waved his hands in the air as he balanced precariously on the back legs of the chair he was in. The other two didn't seem to mind his antics too much, though.

“I hear your mission is to keep the Old Snake out of the hands of the Scribes, and maybe some other personal goals! Well, all is fine and dandy, as long as you try to avoid full out War with them, or so Seimei has told me to tell you. At any case, please try not to clash too much with them - he wishes to keep the balance of power in the scales~”

Obviously they seemed not to know what the personal goals were - but it was evident that everyone here had something on their mind, as everyone, even the horned man, flicked their glances at each other for a split second.

“Well, I’m basically here as a relayman and a helper. We can’t support you all much due to situations, but I’ll try what i…..zzzzzzz-”

With that, the mage plopped back, falling out of his chair and onto the floor. He was fully asleep, even drooling.

That though, left you three to break the ice.

Blog Entries
    Morrigan Blackmore
    July 7th, 2041
    10 AM

Morrigan stayed quiet as Brigadier General Tokiwa began to brief them with the newcomer, a Sergeant Morisaku, who had the eyes of a snake and the fangs to match. She knew her partner, Aglovale, very well—after all, it was she who ended up giving him his current position in the Knights of the Round, whether he would admit it or not. But this other person was a surprise. She has mostly been used to working with fellow Knights, although a change in pace wasn’t anything troublesome. Her only problem was mindset—she doubted Aglovale would adapt to a third party and doubted the third party would adapt to them.

The brigadier general said her name with a pause, as if this was some moment to interject, or that her own name bothered her. It never mattered to her. What must be done must be done, and whether or not her name had fame or glory was something she wasn’t very interested in. If she had wanted to be a Knight with a proper title, she would still be a squire doing paperwork back at headquarters. God knew she didn’t possess Aglovale’s insidious luck.

She idly listened a bit more, stiffly sitting on the couch next to Aglovale. Morisaku had called her a “super-squire,” something she had heard countless times back at headquarters when the imbeciles didn’t think she was in earshot (she was always in earshot). If he was going to provoke her with that, his skill needed to be a lot better. No doubt she’d get an earful once the briefing was over, though.

Their mission was simple. Find the snake, detain the snake. Easier said than done, and something not quite in her skillset, but this seemed more or less like an empty display to prove that they were making an attempt. If they wanted to actually capture the snake, they would send Pendragon at the least. This was just a way to test the waters, to see if any others were seriously gunning for the capture of the infamous Freelancer.

And, as she had expected, they were all to be partners. Splendid.

In the end, the only other piece of information she had learned about the overtly casual Scribe was that he was a part of Yggdrasil. Presumably an experiment of some kind, based on his lack of formality, which was appalling, even for Scribes who weren’t part of the Knights of the Round. And she had known her fair share of Knights who were truly scum underneath their shiny, expensive armor. He was probably someone poor, someone Yggdrasil could just take off the streets easily. Someone like her, yet completely different. The thought left a bitter taste in her mouth.

The brigadier general finished his briefing, and she nodded in acceptance. The sergeant, on the other hand, announced that with “two famous names” on his side, the mission was good as done. Cocky. Irresponsible. Another jab, since barely anyone knew who Aglovale was and there was the occasional Knight who was surprised that Mordred existed as a seat.

He was just like the rest then, except more forward. At least she’d not have to go out of her way to hear mockery. That made it easier to deal with, she supposed.

“We begin as soon as we leave, Brigadier General?”

Blog Entries
    Cernunnos
    July 7th, 2041
    10 AM

The concealment spell had faded away when he had arrived. It was lucky that it had held out for as long as it did - if it had lost power at the airport, it would have been troublesome to explain. He had arrived first, and after introductions had merely minded his own business. He had not spoken to the girl in the straightjacket, even though she had tried to talk to him without success. He had only just joined Fenrir, unlike her, so their connection had been rather limited to begin with.

The pub that they waited in was dirty, and old. He could tell that it was close to his own age... though not quite. Very few things were, nowadays. He missed Germany. The blonde man was waving out of the window at someone, but the thing wearing the mask paid it no mind. He had reached the point where he was, simply, very tired of the modern world, and much desired to be back in the forests away from all this hustle and bustle.

Either way, he thought to himself as the door opened.

There are only so many ways to lose.

Darkly amused, he snorted, dully noting the red-haired girl carrying a sword that proclaimed its nature to anyone with half a sense to mind it. In his younger days, his blood would have been boiling, for she was rather attractive, but now he barely stirred.

“These two are from Fenrir, as you would know, from all the way in Germany~The horned one is called..Cernu..Cernon...eh whatever. Some Welsh god of hunt name, I think! The Dame, on the other hand, is a Korean mage! Hey, we don’t get many of those! Name was...Jun? Something. Sorry! I’m bad with names, Miss Ingle..somethingamagig.”

To be more accurate - no, he had met Fenrir in Germany, so the blonde man's introduction still held weight. He didn't like or dislike the man's acrobatics as the speech was delivered; he simply, slowly digested the information and stored it away for later.

“I hear your mission is to keep the Old Snake out of the hands of the Scribes, and maybe some other personal goals! Well, all is fine and dandy, as long as you try to avoid full out War with them, or so Seimei has told me to tell you. At any case, please try not to clash too much with them - he wishes to keep the balance of power in the scales~”

What was left of his eyes flickered to either side, only to meet each girl's eyes in turn. From the faint stirrings in their gazes, he could tell they had ambition. It would serve them well. He shifted a little as the shabbily-dressed man delivered his next, slurred line, barely surprised when he tumbled into sleep.

The horned man sighed, a buzzing, unnerving sound like radio static. Without the other man's translation spell, he wouldn't be able to understand anything the girls were saying, unless they could speak German.

"̟̱͉̋ͣ͑̉́͢Ṁ̸̡̯̗̫͙̳̹ͤ̊̇̐͡å̿̉̃̑ͭͭ͏͍̗̣g͙̞͙̱̜͉̺͋̾͌̕͡ ͎̙ȗ̢͊҉҉͎s̸͓͖͒ͬ͘.͙̪ͤ̄̔̔͐́̿̿'̧̣̙̗̔̑͊̀ͅ

His voice reverberated around the room, buzzing and changing like a badly tuned radio. It echoed directly into the ears of everyone in the room, the sound broken by pops and shrieks, distant noises blending with the constantly-changing static to make an incredibly disturbing sound. The blonde man twitched in his alcohol-induced sleep, face contorting in discomfort. He tried again, just to be sure.

"̡̝̗͚̃ͣͩMͯ̈́̑͌̋ͪͪ͟a̸͖͚ͤ̓̌ͥǵ̦̘u͙͇̰̽̆s̗͌ͮ̑͑!̶͉̰"̓ͧͨ̃ ̬͚̝̼̮ͪͮ

Still, no response. The horned man gave up and simply turned away from the snoring man. While he did not approach the two girls, he didn't seem to mind if they talked, though he made no move to speak himself, nor would he understand theirs.
    Last edited by Mooncake; November 23rd, 2014 at 11:51 PM.

Alisa Jett
    Tokyo, Shibuya - Hotel Room
    July 7th, 2041
    10 AM

You and Lae had settled down in a simple hotel room that wasn’t too cheap but affordable. The sight from your room wasn’t half bad, either - the panorama of buildings across the land, mixed with mountains, trees, and the Yoyogi park right next to it. Looking afar, one might even be able to see Tokyo Bay with binoculars, thanks to the fact that this was rather a high building. It wasn’t the penthouse, but sure, it was enough for two girls.

While Lae was absorbed with the comfy feeling of her new bed, you checked out the room in a more businesslike fashion. The Scribes and Resistance were both on edge with this Ouroborus business, and it was likely they’d try to keep tabs on any mage around the area. In your case, however, it was less the Resistance and more the Scribes you needed to be wary of due to the...past you had with a certain section of them.

You actually were just getting off a job, with a rather hefty paycheck. There had been a small labyrinth full of magic traps and treasure off in one of the far south islands of Japan, one of the old Vaults created by the Emperor or Warlords. The residential Clan was on decline and hoped to raise their power again with the help of the artifact. It wasn’t that fulfilling a labyrinth, but you and Lae had some fun dealing with it. Now you were at Tokyo to sightsee, and perhaps find another following job.

Soon enough you found a familiar tracking you down, a paper shikigami stuck in a corner of the furniture. No doubt some of the hotel staff were Scribe spies, as they would be everywhere ever since the experiments allowed even mundanes to partake in the world of magic. Sighing, you pick up the paper doll, examining it.

Lae, noticing your action, turned to look at you with blank and yet alive eyes. Her personality was still somewhat mechanical and her form of speech was odd - however, she was truly alive.

“Alisa. Enemy, here?”

As you open your mouth to reply, the shikigami rumbles, as if some kind of electric appliance - and then burst into pieces, along with a bunch of smoke. Slightly alarmed, you back up a bit - only to see a kind of cute thing appear….which was, about the size of your palm.

Spoiler:

(far smaller than the image ofc)

“Ah, no, the smoke is clouding my vision…*coff coff*”

Something tiny with a fluffy ear and tail popped out of the smoke, coughing. For a second, you froze, wondering what was going on, but seeing the figure try to wave away the smoke, trip on the tiles and fall flat on the face, you couldn’t but help crack a grin. The fox doll, on the other hand, was about to burst into tears, all red and trembling.

“Eh, ah, uhhhhh...uuuu…”

It was then when Lae scooped up the fox doll and looked at it intently, with her blank eyes.

“Uhhh...uhhh...I taste bad?”

Lae merely turned to you and cocked her head, while you had to press a hand across your mouth to stop from letting a chuckle out.

------------------------------

“Uuu, sorry for all of that. My name is Ichibi, and I am a shikigami from Master Asaya, one of the Onmyouji that come from a branch family of the Seimei line…”

After Lae let the doll go, it - or she - had climbed on top of the single table in the room and was prostrating in front of you. You yourself had taken a seat in a wicker chair, while Lae was still on her bed, looking intently at the doll. The doll fumbled with her dress, drawing out a bunch of small memos.

“I’m actually here to give Miss Alisa a message..ahem, ‘I may be inexperienced, but please take care of...’ No nonononono, this isn’t the one - “

Going bright red and pulling out one memo after another, you had a brief glimpse at some of them. Most of them were tidbits of jokes or such usually having to do with marriage, romantic relationships, the like. Apparently the owner of this shikigami sure loved to mess with her.

“Ah, h-here it is. Ahem! “I have heard of your great help down at the South of the islands. That clan is a branch of our own and I would like to thank you for your services. I would also like to offer you a job that might interest you. If you feel up to it, please join us for dinner tonight - Ichibi will be your guide. - By, Asaya””

Blog Entries
    Alisa Jett
    Tokyo, Shibuya- Hotel Room
    July 7th, 2041

Ah... What can I say? The minute the agency told me I'd get to fly on over to Japan, I was as happy as a kid in a candy store. But the cherry on top? I'd be getting paid to come to Japan! ...Well, not really. I still had to check in with the local hub, fill out some boring paperwork, register my magic for the area (or something like that), and then complete the mission I was given in the first place! But hey... Japan! Glorious Nippon! Land of the rising sun and the birth place of all that is anime and manga! I mean, being here is like a dream come true. I got an easy enough mission, got paid, and for the first time in a long time, I can actually afford for Lae and I to stay in a decent hotel. Not some vile, spider-infested motel...

Since I had a little bit of extra money left, I was wondering just exactly how I should go out and hit the town. I mean, Shibuya is one of the biggest entertainment centers in Japan, after all. It'd be a shame... No... A sin, to just stay cooped up in this hotel all day! And heck, if I wanted, all it'd take is a quick trip to Tokyo Station and I could be off to Shinjuku, Kyoto, or.... Akihabara~

But alas, my journey in this wonderfully unknown land will have to be put on hold. For while I was off in my own little world- daydreaming about anime and kamen riders- I stumbled upon something I'd have to be an idiot not to recognize. A shinto-style paper doll, straight out of a manga, tucked away behind the furniture. Now, I know we're not in America anymore, and these things are probably a lot more common than what I'm used to, buuuuuut it was still outta place.

So I picked it up and pop-! Before I knew it, there was this adorable little thing looking back up at me! Isn't magic just the coolest thing?

Anyway, now we're here. Gathered in this little hotel room all business like, discussing future affairs. Naturally, our little guest turned out to be a familiar, but aside from that, it turns out her name is Ichibi. Sure I've heard that name somewhere before, but I can't be bothered with the details right now. Anyway, aside from being something that'd make any otaku go into a nerd rage, it also turns out that she's moe. But not just any moe... Clumsy moe: the best kind of moe.

"Alisa...?"

Pulling me away from my thoughts, Lae calls my name with a slight tilt to her head. It's obvious to me that what we do next largely depends on my decision, so I've probably kept her waiting. Still, it's kind of fun seeing Lae take a passive interest in things like this.

"Right, right. Sorry about that, Sis," I pause, think, and clear my throat, "Or rather... Sorry, Onee-chan."

"...Onee-chan?"

Lae tilts her head even more in response to my words.

"Right," Looking down at the little fox girl sitting on our table, I cross my arms and beam with confidence as I give my response, "Seeing how as we've already come all this way, I don't see any problem in helping out on one more job. I mean... We've apparently helped out once already... And who would I be if I refused an additional paycheck?" I nod to myself in agreement, "Yeah~ More money couldn't possibly hurt. And a free meal on top of it? Sounds like a deal to me~"

My reasoning is sound.

There is no way anyone could possibly disagree. And yet...

"Greed is bad..." Lae shoots me down with brutal accuracy. Most of the time, she has trouble conveying the most basic of ideas... But, at times like this... She can be as sharp as a knife out for your own heart, "Rest is good... We should rest... You should rest..."

The ol' give and take. I honestly can't say I know how to respond...

"I-It'll be fine, Sis. Don't worry about it so much! A-After all, it's not like I'm pocketing all this money just for myself. A lot of this is for you, ya know~"

Lae falls silent. Looking at me only for a few seconds more, she opens her mouth slightly before closing it and averting her gaze.

Damn...

"Anyway... It's not like we're doing anything else important. So the least we can do is help out some people in need," I stand up and dust myself off, "As for resting, if we're being invited to dinner, I don't think we'll be doing anything strenuous any time soon."

Looking over at Lae, I can see that she's still not convinced. We manage to reestablish eye contact and all, but I can still see the worry in her eyes- as drained as they may be. That just doesn't sit right with me. But for the most part, there's not much I can do about it. She's going to worry regardless of what I say. So all I can do is reassure her that everything will be fine and smile.

"Still... I'm glad that my adorable little Lae is so concerned about my health."

And with that, I can see a slight tinge of color in Lae's cheeks as she turns away and puts on a faint smile.

"Well, now that that's settled," I look back at the fox on the table, "Since our date isn't until dinner time, that means we have plenty of free time, right?" I can't help but smile deviously, "So what do you say we go out and grab some lunch? I've been dying to check out a maid cafe or two. And I here that the ones in this area are really good~"

Eyes set on our little guest, I kneel down so that we can see each other on the level.

"Ichibi... Since you're supposed to be our guide later, I guess that means you can't just stay here either, right? So then I guess you've got no choice but to come with us~"
    "I promise nothing." - Sei "Kanra" Slayers
    Resident Sadist. Enjoys stepping and sitting on people.
    Avid lover of butts and anime.

Maxim Aeternum
    Tokyo, Ikebukuro Alleyways
    July 7th, 2041
    10 AM

“..Ah?”

Waking up from something that felt like all eternity, Maxim rubbed his eyes. An alleyway. Right next to a pile of recyclable trash. Did this have any significant meaning?

Suddenly, pain. The head ached so much. What had happened? Why was he here? Slowly recollecting his thoughts, Maxim stumbled up and started trying to walk out of the alleyway, when he tripped and fell. Looking down, he saw a multitude of cracks and breaks in the pavement, signifying where he had fell. It was pretty close to being a crater.

Looking up, you also saw around two normal looking people staring at you, as if dumbfounded with your sudden ‘fall from the sky’. They were garbage collectors, who were just making their rounds along these parts. One was actually walking towards you as if to check if you were ok, although before he had got to you the whole waking up and walking around thing had happened - and he had just stopped moving, looking at you if you were some kind of freak. Well, maybe you were, considering all things related.

“Uh, are you ok, sir? You don’t look all to well…”

Instead of approaching further, the old man cautiously speaks up. You glance at him, make a brief grin, and then quickly run out of the alleyway.

Sunlight strikes your eyes. The area looks like Japan - indeed, the signs say ‘ikebukuro’. You go through your head, remembering where the nearest freelancer hub was - and break into a sprint in that direction.

Arriving at the Hub, you are briefly surprised with the differences within the pub. The layout is different, the barkeep is different, even the address was a bit off. What was going on? Then it occurs to you - this must be a different world from what you were originally from. Your madness was your selling point - it even accepted weird reasoning like this in a matter of seconds - but there was really no other explanation. You had come to the Ikebukuro Hub a few times before, but it wasn’t like buildings would just uproot themselves and relocate to several blocks down the street.

You had seen visions like this before, after all. Different worlds. Different areas.

Then, you heard a rather familiar name that was not alltogether to your liking.

Ouroborus.

You had fought the Old Snake in your previous world before, sealed him in a world of no time and no space, making sure to kill his undying form. However, when you were least expecting it, he burst out of your ‘world’ and wreaked havoc on you by doing the same thing, only far more complex. While the Snake had took three days to escape the portal, you yourself had taken a full week, despite the fact that you were supposed to be the one who had more control on magecraft of this area. From since then, you had swore to get back at him somehow.

And apparently he was in Japan right now, in Tokyo nevertheless.

You make to get up and start your search right away, when you sense that your body feels rather light, or weak, compared to before. Must be the effects of the fight you had in the Chamber of Dimensions….

While you stand still glaring at the palm of your hand as if trying to think, a certain flyer falls to the ground - a wanted poster. As you stretch your hand to pick it up though, someone else snatches the paper.

“Hmmm..”

A feminine voice enters your ears. You look up and see a rather attractive lady looking at the poster and then your face continuously.

Spoiler:

“Hey, this ain’t you, by any chance?”

The poster is thrust in your face. Yes, it looks rather familiar. But the name and everything else is different, of course. And also the thing that you were from an entirely different dimension, remember?

"Well, I guess its not you. Who would be stupid enough to come into a hall of bloodthirsty dogs for hire where his own wanted poster is hung on, right?"

Well, no doubt you would, if you had the chance.
    Last edited by Snax; November 22nd, 2014 at 10:07 PM.

Tyrfing Dragonfriend
    Tokyo, Tokyo Station - Chiyoda
    July 7th, 2041
    10 AM

“...Urp”

No matter how many times you tried, it was never a really pleasant feeling. Of course, riding a plane was far easier than riding a dragon, as your life was less in critical danger albeit for turbulence and perhaps accidents. Riding a train was even easier, as the prices were also pretty cheap compared to the plane. Still, your rather lacking knowledge of machinery and technology was still a thing - you simply couldn't accept these machines and all the effects they had on nature.

Well, that and the shaking also gave into motion sickness and headaches.

It had been a while since you had awoken from your frozen sleep, relatively unharmed in the body and fully functional. You had your bag, which also held the ‘little’ gold you had, but somehow was efficient to pay for your plane, food, and whatever else. Having heard of this ‘Ouroborus’, you have deemed him an interesting target and have come here to the Far East so see what it would be like.

However, as you desperately hold in your breakfast, it seems the first enemy you meet with will not be a seasoned warrior, but your own body rejecting the ‘newness’ of this world’s greatest technologies, transportation.

As you struggle with your innards against a wall outside of the Airport, you feel that the nauseating fumes of pollution are yet another cause of your headaches. For starters, the air from your past and the air now is so different that every time you take a breath it seems as if you are swallowing a ton of dust.

Finally, the nauseating feeling passed for a bit. Calming down, you slump on top of a bench, staring blankly into space. While you did manage to get to this place without a hitch, there were apparently quite a number of ‘Scribes’ or ‘Resistance’ members that would also be targeting Ouroborus. While you did not have any knowledge on either organization, for now it seemed that they were leaving you alone and were of not much concern.

However, you did notice people with more mana than the norm somewhat keeping tabs on you. They were not specifically keeping watch of you, but still keeping an eye on you. When you had first awoken it felt annoying, and even invasive. Now, you knew it was just a means of keeping public order, considering the whole ‘magic’ business seemed to be a secret from the regular masses.

Which was rightly so.

Magic had always been the privilege of the select few. Even in his past, not everyone was blessed with the capacity of magic, and only those selected by Gods could ever dream to reach such heights in their times.

Mulling over his thoughts, Tyr finally felt fine enough as to move onward. Getting up from his seat, he moved on into the city, first of all looking for accommodation. Finding a hotel was easy enough, considering the city seemed to have its fair share of tourists and random flock. Checking into the most expensive one, you put away your things and stretch out your limbs.

Now then.

The hunt begins.

But before that, you pull out your tourist map and struggle with the directions for a bit. Where would it be best to go?

That is, until a chill suddenly manifests itself behind you.

Spoiler:

“.....”

She merely stands behind you, as if waiting for something. You feel no hostility, but indeed the woman behind you doesn’t seem to be the type that is often happy and smiley all around the seasons, in more than one way.

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Tyrfing Dragonfriend
    Tokyo, Tokyo Station - Chiyoda
    July 7th, 2041
    10 AM

He stared back at her, blinking once, then twice. This 'new world' he had found himself in - it is different. Here, there are no Odinsson, no children of war. It is quiet, peaceful, and far, far calmer then the life he had lived before. But Tyr had never been one to be satisfied with the 'average' or the 'normal'. This was a new time, a new place, and there was even more to be done.

There is no ice to forge a fire in the hearts of men.

There are no creatures of the dark to force men to face themselves.

There are simply men, as strong and brave and as noble as he could have ever dared to hope.

He stared at the girl - pretty enough, but no Valykrie. He was not a dying man with a sword in his grasp and blood on his lips, he was alive. Blonde hair softly floated in a gentle wind as his curious red meets her cold yellow.

"I don't suppose you know of any places of interest around," he starts, as a smile grew on his face, "I'm rather new to the idea of... tourism, and I can't make heads or tails of the map!"

She is no Valkyrie, yes, but it is not like Tyr has never met things of the another time, another place, another plane before now. He has spent five years in this new realm, and it despite its pleasant outer demeanor, he knows the truth. It is just as vicious and deadly as Midgar had been. He earned his keep in this world fairly similarly to the old one, in fact. And that is what allowed him to 'comprehend' what was before him.

A girl who chills his bones was not a girl that 'existed' in the material plane he lived in. It is not something that could be easily grasped at, controlled, and spoken with. She may not be from Hel's plane, but as the cold ran down his spine Tyr knew one thing as well as he knew himself, as well as he remembered the chill of the cold and the thrill of a hunt.

An 'ordinary person' cannot fight the girl before him, who chilled the air and appeared out of nowhere. Tyr had never been ordinary - but a fight for nothing is not a fight worth having.

"I hadn't expected such a shift in the weather, myself! That's what I get for bringing naught but the clothes on my back, I suppose," he mused aloud, watching her with careful eyes as he absent-mindedly shifted his bag. "Any chance of something a hint warmer? The Gods know I've had enough cold for a few lifetimes."

It is a conversation from another time, in words that do not belong in this era. It is the tone of his voice, the inflection of his speech that gives Tyr away as someone from long ago, a man who would be called 'out of touch' if he was older, or 'born in the wrong time' if he had more friends.

But Tyr had never felt out of time. If anything, he felt he had far, far too much on his hands. And there was an important thing to remember, a fact that he had been told so long ago. Not by the man who taught him to live, or the woman who taught him to fight, but the old beggar in the corner of a hometown that was covered in ice hundreds of years ago.

"E'en if ye don' think summin needs 'elp - it don't mean ya know, does it? Gotta ask em, to really know."

Tyr had frozen himself in ice for a promise, and he would do it again. Ten, a hundred, a thousand times if necessary. If it saved the people that he was trying to save, then he would have torn out his own heart and offered it to the Gods in exchange for the chance to save them.

A girl who chilled the air was 'abnormal'. Strange, an impossibility. With cold dead eyes and pale skin, she was no all that unlike Tyr - 'out of place'. And in the back of his mind, an important lesson, an idea, a meaning drawn from nothing and concluded from the air he breathes is formed. This girl with dead eyes and dead air is someone who needs help. Tyr had never been one to refuse others, and he was not about to start simply because there was a chance - a high chance, an obvious chance - that she was from 'another place'.

He was from another place too.

"Is there something I can do to help you?" He paused momentarily, searching for the words. "If it is within my power, I will try to accomplish it."
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Underwood Sisters - Elena and Dolores
    Tokyo, Akihabara Office of the Underwoods
    July 7th, 2041
    10 AM

An uneventful morning like the other past few ones. There hadn’t really been much work to do for the last few weeks, which was rather weird considering the Freelancer Hubs seemed to be far more full of bustle than anytime before. The way things were, it seemed more Freelancers were here on their own volition rather than a certain line of work. Probably because of the rumors of the Legendary Freelancer Ouroborus arriving in Tokyo, which was not really a baseless rumor - several sightings and clashes had already been sighted.

While Elena was making herself a cup of tea, Dolores was sitting idly at the desk, flipping through a file on Ouroborus and the other legendary freelancers. The four legendary freelancers were always an interesting group.

Number one: Ouroborus, the Undying Snake. He was the known oldest mage in the world, as well as probably the most versatile in all of magic history.

Number two: Cataclysm, the Destroyer. A psycho, but only when his magecraft was active. He apparently had a sidekick, a synchronizer of sorts, to keep him under the ropes.

Number three: Sola, the Saint of Paris. She only ever took missions that involved healing and always did it for free, although she had no love for either the Scribes or the Resistance.

Number four: Juggernaut, the Indestructible. She was the newest entry and also the youngest, who apparently had the ability to resist any type of magecraft.
    Ouroboros was an anomaly even between all four.

First, he was more of an Independent mage, one that didn’t work through hubs but taking jobs from whoever that managed to find him with a worthy enough cause.
    Second, he did not die. More accurately, even when there had been several confirmations of his death, he would always come back from somewhere, while his remains disappeared miraculously as if they had never been there within a few minutes.
    Third, his magecraft was an anomaly. He always seemed to use a mix of generic magics or even sometimes a mixed version with various other spells. It was almost as if he was a walking compendium of spells.

That was pretty much all the solid data your files actually held, and was also rather well-known knowledge between certain circles. While many mages had tried to study his remains (and sometimes ‘fake’ remains even came out on the black market as catalysts ingredients) there had been no concrete results. It was pretty much understandable that he was a target as well as a well-revered individual.

With such a target like him around, it was likely that all other jobs would get flushed away and flooded with requests regarding him. Not good for business, really - considering the specialty here was detective work and not assassination or manhunts.

As Dolores flipped through several more files, someone knocked on the door. When Elena opened it, a man dressed in an old coat of red came flowing into the room, bowing his head rather lazily but politely. His presence was masked, but there was something quite...inhuman about him.

Spoiler:

“Hello, hello. Nice to meet you two beautiful ladies, it is an honor. I thought this would be the best place for the job I have in mind…So do you have the time?”

His smile reveals a row of well kept white teeth that look rather pointy compared to normal standards.
    Last edited by Snax; November 24th, 2014 at 02:27 AM.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Dranes's Avatar
    Alistair Garald
    July 7th, 2041
    10 AM

Time ticked away as introductions were exchanged and the details of the mission that was about to be undertaken was put foward: Capture of the freelancer Ouroboros. How exactly he had been assigned to such a task was an unknown to Alistair, the young man had only recently been assigned to the role of Aglovale, it would have been more appropriate to send another like Lancelot in his stead with Mordred. And yet here he was in Japan, Tokyo, to face off against what some called a living legend, if one told him that he'd be chasing after a myth and a part of the prestigious Scribe Order of Knights, he would have laughed...it was funny how one simple thing could change it all.

And that was why when the cocky Sergeant called the two 'super-squires', if he had been the man's commanding officer perhaps he may have reprimanded him but that was a position he no longer held, rather Alistair only gave him a passing glance.

Because in the end, that was what he was. He had not reached this place due to achievement but through pure chance of luck. What pride could he have in something like that? The title of Aglovale in the end was not one in the leagues of Arthur or Gawain but it was still a seat among the Round, one which he could honestly not say he truly deserved.

Perhaps here then, he could prove his worth.

Or die trying.

Not that that was anything new.

Mordred in turn also kept her cool, as expected of his senior. If such a remark was able to get to her it would have been a surprise at this point.

The Brigadier-General soon finished and soon came another remark.

'Famous names', huh?

It seemed he simply didn't know when to let up. Mordred was one name but the name of Aglovale...Alistair doubted many had heard of him.

Regardless, if this actually became a problem that interfered with the mission he would deal with it then and there. His personal feelings on the man, as souring as they were turning to be, would not affect his duty when it came to the mission.

Or at least that's the plan, even after being scarred by that thing he was in the end still only human.

It was times like these he missed the more simple times but c'est la vie, so was the hand that life handed him now.

"We'll try not to cause any unnecessary trouble, though the sooner we begin the better."

Being in a higher-up situation really didn't suit Alistair.
    Last edited by Dranes; December 1st, 2014 at 06:00 PM.

Scribes
    July 7th, 2041
    10:10 AM

“Hmm, its not going to be an easy task though. There are going to be a bunch of independent mages going after the Old Snake as well, and you might end up fighting with a bunch of them...but it’s not the worst thing that could happen. This shouldn’t be Warsaw all over again.”

The general massaged his temples as if to banish the thousands of nightmarish situations that could occur from the smallest spark of conflict.

It was a small-scale event sixty years or so ago, in Warsaw - there had been a similar manhunt for Ouroborus, just like today. Mages had come from all over the world to take a shot at the so called legendary freelancer. However, while nobody actually found the Old Snake, plenty of combat between mages had occurred, leading to widespread destruction and several occasions of exposure to the public, which was hurriedly hushed up by the Scribes with a painstaking amount of resources. It was an incident currently titled ‘the Disaster of Warsaw’ and one of the biggest failures in Scribe history.

“At any rate, you three are to be searching independently while sharing information until we have some concrete idea on where Ouroborus is and who began the entire manhunt… Having me even withdraw my first vacation within the past five years, I won’t rest until I get to the bottom of this..!”

For a second, the temperature in the room dropped a few degrees as the general glowed with a dangerous light - which came to pass soon enough, in the form of a warm smile.

“Well, introductions are over. The small details of this mission will be sent to your GMDs as you leave the premises, so read the files carefully. Dismissed.”

---------------------------------

As you moved out of the building and into the grounds, following the Scribe soldier that had orders to guide you to where your GMDs were being recalibrated, you arrived at the Front Desk. The worker there returned your GMDs to you.

General Magic Devices. Usually the Knights went without these items, but it was helpful having built-in comm channels.

Received: Standard GMD
    Built in Communication (infinite)
    Standard Magic Missle - 4 uses, INT damage.
    Standard Combat First Aid - 2 uses, half-INT amount of health and wound-heal
    Standard Battle Buff - 2 uses, 1 rank buff in any stat (cannot be used more than once at a time)
    Strapping the silver bracelets to your left arms as due protocol, you simultaneously open the mail function, opening the dossier to the mission.

Mordred: Check out the Aoyama area for clues of Ouroborus.
    Aglovale: Check out the Roppongi district for clues of Ouroborus.
    Ryosuke: Check out the Akasaka area for clues of Ouroborus.
    Among other less important info, the areas you were to search were noted in the files. They were all neighborhoods, rather big ones that had a number of suspicious areas where the Old Snake could be hiding. Roppongi had its own freelancer hub, Aoyama had a cemetery which were good to avoid mundane eyes, and Akasaka was an area with lots of mundane governmental officials and thus usually less populated with mages other than the few Scribes in the Diet who helped keep the peace and secrets. which a which meant you three were to work independently but yet close in the occasion of certain combat and needed backup. A sound plan.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Zagrin's Avatar
    Maxim Aeternum
    Tokyo, Ikebukoro, Freelancer Hub
    July 7th, 2041
    10AM

"Actually..."

Maxim squinted at the image on the poster presented to him. Those eyes, that face, the unmistakable grin of superiority, this was, without a doubt, him. Well a him that wasn't him, there were some minute differences here and there that would easily escape the notice of most, but not him, not at all.

Yeah, this guy was the him...from a different dimension! Now the only question was which....considering he already had a reputation he probably originated from this Japan, although considering how wonky time-space magic is, who knows how long it may have been between when he arrived and that guy arrived.

Still looking at this face, he began to feel something welling up inside of him.

Rage, anger, hatred.

It didn't matter that the one on the poster was probably not the guy from before, Maxim still wanted to crush him. Perhaps he would, it'd be a good way to blow off some steam and besides there can only be one...

"That is me! Or at least a me that ain't me, if that makes any sense? You could even say that we're related! Though the truth of the matter is I just got here recently looking for that guy. Gotta say not a bad start, his poster flies right into my path along with someone who seems to know the man! Lucky indeed!"

Although all things considered this would mean he'd have to join up with the Freelancers wouldn't he? That wasn't any good, he didn't know the first thing about freelancing back home, and considering the huge differences he had seen so far, who knew how different these people were as well!

Thankfully this helpful woman had come to his rescue, how fortunate for him!

"So, any chance you'd be kind enough to tell me about this relative of mine? Or perhaps even what this whole freelancing gig is all about?"
    Last edited by Zagrin; November 25th, 2014 at 07:06 AM.

Jun Su-Yeon
    July 7th, 2041
    10 AM

From the moment she set foot in Tokyo, that feeling stayed with her like an persistent itch she could vaguely sense, but not quite pin down. In the warmth of the summer wind, the bustle of morning traffic, the shadows of towering buildings; in such things that held little meaning to her, she found a curious tingle of familiarity, as if this was once the locus of some past event she had partaken in. Something once important to her, something she should have remembered.

She can't remember. Such an idle, trivial, senseless, inconsequential thing, and yet it tugs at her mind ever slightly so that she can't remain at ease or focus her thoughts on more important matters. It is neither pleasant nor painful, but—

...hah, what good is it to complain. After all, she had already lost when she admitted her curiosity. That is in itself her blessing, as well as curse.

The hyperactive mind of a researcher is an engine of perennial inquiry. If it isn't pointed towards a goal to reach —a problem to solve— then it will latch onto the smallest questions to keep itself from sputtering out. Out of her lab, where there was never a moment to be spent in languor, every moment of inactivity seems to her like an eternity. And if that finds her leering in scrutiny out of the open window of a bus at the glass facades of the skyscrapers, as if the sun's reflected glare offends her very being, then so be it.

As though her acknowledgment had pleased some childishly petty gods, taking pity on her after her moment of humility, the realisation comes to her as smoothly as a puzzle piece sliding into place.

"Fuhahaha... I see, I see!"

A memory then, of a time not too long ago in the strict temporal sense, but it might as well have happened a million years ago for all she would have known. She can't say that it feels nostalgic, but this bus ride certainly gained a new significance as, how do they say... a trip down memory lane?

She won't pat herself on the back for such a trivial solution, much less when she had done nothing at all to reach it. But at least she is now relatively at ease, and the view of the city elicits a good 17% less irritation from her than before. In the end, a good researcher must cherish every and all results!

...when it comes down to it, the life of a tireless bee, endlessly flitting from one figurative flower to another, suits her just fine. In fact, that is all she could have asked out of her life. When there is a question, find the answer. If there is no question, create one yourself. If there seems to be no answer, the problem is probably on your end.

But a question occurs to her that she will not pose. To begin with, this unearthed memory seems so entirely alien that she feels it wasn't forgotten, but rather dissociated from. If entertaining a case of déjà vu was meaningless, then pondering hypotheticals on the unalterable past is beyond futile.

For that, she holds her mental silence; but she does not banish that image from her mind. Of her past self more than a decade ago, gazing at the bright city lights with wide eyes full of wonder, her parents' hands holding her own. Looking at the palm of her hand now, she exhales a sibilant breath.

It's not painful, but it's not pleasant either. It's barely a distraction, quite wasteful, and entirely unlike her, but for once, that is fine. At least it keeps her mind running; in more ways than one.

Eh, then maybe she shouldn't have likened herself to a bee, but a shark instead?

With the waft of alcohol thick in the air, in the company of an unconscious Onmyōji and what could either be a God's avatar or a very dedicated cosplayer, she eyed the newcomer like a shark sizing up a particularly delicious morsel. With a smile that showed more tooth than lip, she crossed the distance separating her from the newcomer, and took her hand within her two sleeve-covered own in an enthusiastic, if one-sided handshake.

"Hey hey, we shouldn't let that scatterbrain ruin our first impressions, right? I swear, that guy sure is knowledgable, but he can turn any subject into a joke just by talking about it!"

"Well, at least he got my name right," she continued without even waiting for a reply, or letting go of the newcomer's hands, "and he was pretty close with that guy, so you can guess his name too." To punctuate her point, she briefly jerked a thumb towards the somber masked man, before returning her hand to its previous position.

Dimly, through the gloved hand in her grasp, the beat of flowing life was a sensation more familiar to her than the sound of her own voice. A reassurance that, even so far from her domain, it was not the rules of the game that had changed, but the ante.

"So, to mark the start of our partnership, would you grace this Jun Su-Yeon with your honourable name?"

Alisa Jett
    Tokyo, Shibuya- Sidewalks
    July 7th, 2041
    10:15 am

After Ichibi confirmed the spare time and made herself a place in one of your Pockets, poking her head out like a random plush doll, you and Lae moved out into the city. According to your little guid, who was a bit shakey still, there weren’t as many maid cafes in Shibuya - at least compared to the hotspots of subculture such as Akihabara. Still, what lacked in quantity made up with quality - apparently standards were higher and there was less creepy stuff going on, just regular business.

Getting out, you found yourself quite close to the Harajuku station, moving upwards to where Ichibi tells you there is a shopping district with at least one maid cafe. However, since it was at least a bit early for lunch, there were several options laid bare for you.

Considering taking it easy, a walk in Yoyogi park was always a good choice. The scenery was nice, it was away from the bustle of the mundane, and there were concession stands every once in a while for a nice snack of cotton candy or so.

There was also the nearby Takeshita street, a pedestrian only bustle of restaurants, gift shops and other. Too bad the restaurants were mostly not open fully for business considering lunch hours started around 11.

Then there were the gaming arcades around the streets. Sort of expensive really, but those games were pretty fun especially when killing time. Of course, this was where the younger generation hung out usually - if it was a weekend, that is. It was a weekday nonetheless, a Monday. Good kids would probably be staying at school, since summer break had ended just some time ago.

Decisions decisions.

On that note, you noticed a shift in the air, as if someone was observing you through a spell or so. Scrying? Familiars? You couldn’t make it out just yet, but you felt one or two presences marking you from afar. Once you noticed them though, they hastily covered their tracks, cutting off their mana signals.

Lae seemed to feel it too, but neither of you nor her seemed to sense any hostility. At least, nobody seemed to be intent to fight in broad daylight it seemed.

Blog Entries
    Morisaku Ryosuke
    July 7th, 2041
    10 AM

"Not bad," was the first thing Ryosuke said as they marched out of the room, the General's words still fresh in his mind. "Looks like you two can take an insult. I had to be sure they didn’t stick me with a bunch of sacrificial nobodies. No hard feelings, eh? Last guys they assigned me to got pissed off just from that much, and they were the first to bite it when the going got tough.”

So had the ones before them, actually. And Ryosuke’s first mission had involved the sergeant in charge chewing him out for insubordination hours before getting suffocating to death on his own blood because of a spell he should’ve dodged easily. Predictably, the rest of his bad-mannered team was quick to follow, leaving him the sole survivor.

“So, Algovale. Switch with me.” It was a blunt order, even though it should’ve been a request considering their ranks. Ryo didn’t care for beating around the bush when it came to getting something he wanted. “Akasaka’s boring. Roppongi ain’t. Besides, I can blend in with the locals and check out the freelancer hub, but you’re a foreigner and a Knight. You’ll stick out like sore thumb with that getup.” It was strange that the boy with blonde, spiked hair and jagged eyes would somehow be more normal than a relatively average-looking foreigner, but that was just how Japan rolled. Gaijin were by definition outsiders, and it was hard to stand out more than one of them, no matter how much you tried.

Well, Mordred could probably blend in, but he didn’t particularly care about a musty cemetery. He did care about a few things, though.

“Anyway, before we leave… since we’re gonna be supporting each other, how’s about we take a few minutes to share info? Give some… demonstrations? Warm up a bit?” It was obvious what he was suggesting, and with the way Ryo looked at the two Knights before him, it was clear what his true goal was. “The training room’s that way, and the medical facilities they have here are state-of-the-art. If you ain’t dead, they’ll keep you that way.”

“Not that you’ll need to worry about that. I know how to hold back.”

Morrigan Blackmore
    July 7th, 2041
    10 AM

Aoyama. Notable for its beautiful cemetery and Hachiko statue. All in all, Morrigan was fine with where she was going to investigate—it seemed like a calm, relatively simple place to cover. Lurking around in shady places was, unfortunately, her job, and she did it very well, as her teacher had said too many times for her own comfort.

Morisaku, on the other hand, was not content with his destination and made a fairly convincing argument as to why he should swap places with Aglovale. As this had nothing to do with her, she might as well get on with the mission. The faster she got these things done, the faster she… Well, she wanted it done for the sake of getting it done. There wasn’t really any personal reward involved. It was simply comforting to have a job done efficiently.

Morisaku then brought up the idea of sparring—something she thought was rather childish. While it was true that they would gain a better understanding of each other’s combat abilities in a duel, she thought it was rather wasteful of the mana that they did possess. And, at the same time, her style of combat wasn’t suited for an open confrontation where both opponents could clearly see each other. It would only give a skewed result in favor of her being a weakling, something she figured Morisaku would be rather annoyed with.

If you’re going to fight, do it with Aglovale. He needs the practice. she said using the GMD, testing the telepathic capability. I’m not suited for honorable matches of any kind, so I think I’ll go and scout ahead. Tell me if you need me. Later.

And with that, she attempted to part ways with the two boys, almost expecting one of them to interject.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Elena and Dolores Underwood
    Tokyo, Akihabara - Underwood Agency
    July 7th, 2041
    10 AM

The rhythmic sound of a blade being sharpened echoed throughout the well-furnished office, as Elena ran her blade down the white naka-to waterstone. While it wasn’t technically necessary, due to the composition of her sword, it was almost habitual at this point, a remnant of her years of training. And… there was an almost cathartic feeling to sharpening a blade, something that the white haired swordswoman found oddly relaxing. A trait she found herself more in need of, especially recently.

“Tell me, why do you feel the need to produce that incessant screeching noise? God knows it’s impossible to concentrate with that racket going on. Well, I guess for someone like you, to whom thinking is a secondary concern, it wouldn’t make any difference anyway.”

The corners of Elena’s eyes tightened slightly, as her dark haired “sister” seemingly felt the need to speak up, bandying about a completely unnecessary and irritating comment as usual. Ever since they reunited half a year ago, life had become an exercise in frustration. Honestly, if it was an actual possibility, they would have killed each other months ago already. In fact, if there was one thing that truly connected them as siblings it was their utter dislike of each other. Elena’s hands never stopped sharpening the blade. If anything, there was a subtle, almost imperceivable, change in the pitch, turning the noise even louder than it was before.

“Of course. It is, after all, common knowledge that playing with goat guts and boiling frog eyes are the true indicators of knowledge and wisdom.”

The coffee mug in Dolores’s hand cracked, causing hairline fractures to run throughout its surface. Taking a deep breath, the raven-haired witch calmed herself somewhat, before heading to the kitchen to dispose of the now ruined cup. Returning from the side room with a new mug, along with a new batch of coffee (Elena only drank Japanese tea anyway), Dolores simply sat down behind the desk, while trying her best to ignore the sound of the steel grinding on stone. Maybe there was something interesting in the new data that had popped up over the last week? Reading the actual files however left her with a creeping feeling of disappointment.

In the end, it was nothing more than simple speculation and rumors about Ouroboros and other “legendary” freelancers. Rumors probably fueled simply by the man showing up in Tokyo and nothing more. It was getting more and more irritating by the day. It was hard to get any actual information without someone trying to smack you in the face with “Did you hear about Ouroboros!?”. Yes. Yes she had. Far too many times to even care about it anymore. The next individual that would try to “sell” something as inane as that to her, while acting as if it was still any sort of desirable or unique piece of information, would end up cursed to lose all of their hair. Permanently.

Suddenly a knock echoed throughout the office.

Surprisingly, it was Elena that rose up and walked over to open the door. Strange. Normally they would bicker at least for a couple of minutes on who should open the door and deal with the pleasantries. Maybe Elena had sensed something off. Despite how hard it was for her to admit it, her sister did possess a superb for sensing… well people who were slightly more peculiar than the norm. After all, there were more then a couple of individuals who were considered strange even by the standards of the supernatural community.

And typically most of them are trouble.

“Hello, hello. Nice to meet you two beautiful ladies, it is an honor. I thought this would be the best place for the job I have in mind…So do you have the time?”
    Having opened the door, Elena cocked her head, causing her long white hair to slightly sway in the doorway, while her eyes took in the figure in front of her.

“No. I make a point of not working for people who have left behind their humanity. Or never had it in the first place, I guess.”

“It’s an issue of trust, you see. I think you would be better off finding some other agency that is more willing to handle your request.”

“Goodbye.”

Having said that, the white haired girl simply shut the door in front of the strangers face, and returned back to her whetstone, seemingly intent to continuing her efforts at sharpening a blade that could not really be sharpened.

Dolores for her part simply let out a mirthful chuckle, while sipping her coffee and continuing to shuffle through her files.

“As crude and direct as usual, I see. Though, what else could be expected from a savage that can only swing her sword around like a brute?”

However, despite her rather vocal barbs, Dolores herself made no effort to move from the desk nor open the door for the stranger who had just suddenly been left outside.
    Last edited by Mellon; November 24th, 2014 at 02:23 AM.

Tyrfing Dragonfriend
    Tokyo, Chiyoda - Hotel room
    July 7th, 2041
    10 : 10 AM

Despite your attempt to communicate with her, apparently she didn’t understand a thing you are saying. The language barrier was probably going to be an issue continuously, considering you weren’t a proper mage and didn’t actually know Japanese all too well nor would a spirit like her be holding onto a translation spell, no matter how simple it was.

She proceeds to just hover around the air watching you as if you were something alien to her. Considering you were of a rare type in this world, this time, no wonder a spirit like her would show interest and ‘haunt’ you. It wasn’t uncommon for spiritual mediums to have ghosts following them around or whatnot, anyway.

As there was no actual progress being made, however, you decided to stretch out your legs and relax for a bit. It wasn’t like she was doing anything, apart from staring at you with dull eyes. At least the chill seemed to be subsiding, or maybe it was the room’s auto-heating kicking in. Either way, you were somewhat tired from the rides and could use a nap -

However, it seems the gods have deemed you not fit to rest.

You open your window upon sensing a rather troubling wave of energy coming from just a few blocks away. It is soon muffled out with some sort of hastily made barrier, but you could still deduce it was some form of magic combat between mages. Probably Scribes against troublemakers, considering the simple design of the spell.

The spirit floating around the ceiling seems mildly interested on what is going on, but not too into it. She does land on your shoulder though, pointing at the direction of the disturbance. Obviously it seems it wants to go over to the source.

And you comply, as previously decreed.

-------------------

Arriving at the scene, or rather, the edges of the barrier, you find it is set in an abandoned warehouse near the bayside. Touching it with your finger, you find to be the type easy to enter but difficult to leave, layered with suggestions that would repel mundanes from entering. Well, it had no effect on you.

The spirit was still on your shoulder, unnoticed by the public apart from the random shiver when they came too near. She grimaced when touching the barrier, though - apparently there were Shinto sutra lined in with the making of the barrier, and a spirit of her level couldn’t interact with it without at least some discomfort.

She still doesn’t detatch from your shoulder, though -

As you make to enter though, a man dressed in the white uniform of the Scribes undoes his invisibility spell and stops you with a hand. By the design of his uniform, he seems to be a private - a newbie soldier.

“Mage, there is official business going on in this area as of now. Entry is prohibited.”

His stiff voice and a scent of fear emanate from him. His eyes dart from you to the spirit, who merely stares back.

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Tyrfing Dragonfriend
    Tokyo, Chiyoda - Hotel room
    July 7th, 2041
    10 : 10 AM

Even before the girl moved, pulling his own spirit with her, Tyr had grabbed his bag - tossed haphazardly over into the corner, and thrown it over his shoulder. There was work to be done; which wasn't a surprise. He had no knowledge of the language, but he was a master of the only language that mattered - doing the right thing.

If a 'girl who chills the room' asked most for help, they would turn her away. She is strange, creepy, and useless. She is dead and the dead should stay dead.

But she has not left this plane of Midgar, and for Tyr, that is more then enough to aid her. The idea of not helping someone who needed it was unfathomable to him, a fantasy that he refused to acknowledge.

An absentminded tune rolled around his throat as he walked out of the hotel and into the streets, a song from years long past and days long gone. The hymn of a battle, a warrior, a king. It was the first song he learned, and the one he sang as he had faced off against a foe many times his size and strength, and he had won that fight.

Beowulf had yet to do Tyr wrong, and he doubted the song would lie to him now. It was a true battle hymn for warriors and their ilk - but Tyr was more then a warrior, he had been trained for more then simple battle. That had come later, under the gentle hands of a Jarl's wife long dead.

He had told stories long ago, and what had changed from then until now? So he smiled at a girl who could not understand him, and opened his lips to tell her a tale.

"Once, long ago, there was a mighty warrior named Thorgrim..."

He frowned with distaste as his finger brushed the barrier, feeling the magic across his fingers, dancing between the skin like a crack on thin ice. A small smile twitched across his lips as the girl frowned, and he shook his head as he glanced at her. "Nasty, isn't it? Rather a shame that so many believe others are undeserving of the simple act of knowing what so many take for granted. It's a new world here, one that I do not recall leaving so suddenly."

He made to take a step through the barrier, preparing to shield the girl as the words forged themselves in his head, burning into his mind with the searing flames of the sun, but they leave when another came closer, and he turned toward a man in a white uniform with a stern look.

“Mage, there is official business going on in this area as of now. Entry is prohibited.”

"Mage?" Tyr's voice questioned, an eyebrow rising. He had never considered himself a 'mage'. He had no training formally, no knowledge of the arts that so many drew on. He could not cast the simplest spells that even a child could wield with ease. Of all the men and women he had met, all the creatures of other realms he had seen, he had no inclination to call himself as those with the Scribes did, as the Resistance factions he had seen claim, or even those humble few who earn their keep as he had done in times long past, on icy fields with flaming hearts. "If I'm a mage, then the standards have fallen!"

He smiled at the man, inclining his head. "I am Tyr, and I do not wish to... intrude on your business. If it was my choice, I would leave." He stared at the man, standing straight upwards, and steeling himself as he lifts a hand covered in metal, a metal that moved and shifted like it was living, made from something that could not, should not be unmade. It was older then him. A reminder for him.

"But it is not my choice. A girl has asked for my aid, and you think I have the right to turn her down? No, that is not something that I can simply... understand. If there is 'official business' going on, and she has directed me towards here, then I'd dare say she's involved!"

A brilliant smile broke across his face, a grin that shone like the sun, and red eyes twinkled with mirth as he casually tucked a stray strand of hair behind his ear. "No need to fear for us, though. I will protect her to my last, and I assure you that I am a perfectly capable warrior in my own right."

Battles flick through his eyes, mock and real. Swords that clashed on a tundra, flames facing lightning, and words that could kill. That was a life far behind him, and far behind those who lived in 'this time'. A better time, to be sure. But the silence that echoed through Midgar now was... sad.

It is sad that a 'girl who chills rooms' believed him to be her best companion, when he could not speak the language and did not understand what she required.

It is sad that a mage cannot show his skill in public, and must fence off his fights so that a normal human does not intrude.

If a man dared to invade a fight, then it was his right. If he died or lived, it was by his own rules. That was the law of the tundra he had known, and he had learned it well. The stories of heroes and Gods rang true in his mind, and he steeled his chin and nodded to the man as he faced the barrier once more, far better prepared this time then he had been before. The girl needed no words to protect her; she protected herself well enough.

He tilted his head towards the girl again, reaching out to touch a hand that was not there with his hand that was far, far too real. "Do not be afraid," he whispered, his voice quiet as he stared into cold, dead eyes. "You are stronger then you think. Trust me."

Even if his words did not make sense, he could reach her with the emotion he felt. It was useless, trying to protect someone who could protect themselves. But letting someone die because he could not try was something even more unfathomable, even if she was already dead.

He could not have saved her then, but at the very least he could allow her to rest in peace. And if the only way to do that required him to enter this barrier, then he would do it in a heartbeat.

"My apologies, sir," he said as he looked back at the Scribe. "I know that this will make your life rather difficult for a bit. Don't worry though; I won't cause you any extra work by doing anything foolish like dying."
    Last edited by Frantic Author; November 24th, 2014 at 06:09 AM.
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.