Page 202 of 221 FirstFirst ... 102152192197200201202203204207212 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,040 of 4404

Thread: General Movies Thread

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I planned on going out, but then the government made me an offer I couldn't refuse...

So yeah, spent the weekend watched The Godfather trilogy. Eh, I've seen too many homages and parodies of it that I think I went in with too high expectations that it would be some great masterpiece.

Oh well, back to watching horror movies I guess.

Running away from Falconetti AsGryffynn's Avatar
    Rewatched Tron Legacy and I can confirm: it's underrated.

Also, Ashens and the Quest for the Gamechild will make anyone laugh no matter how old it gets... Seriously.

月日は百代の過客にして、行かふ年も又旅 人也。 Benderesco's Avatar
    Just watched Upstream Color; it is fantastic. Seriously, Shane Carruth directed this AND Primer. The fact that he is still an underdog is a shameful blight on the film industry.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Not sure if movie or miniseries, but there was something about an American scholar who went back to ancient China, and everyone thinks he's Sanzang for some reason. I think he was researching the original copy of Journey to the West, like the original original. Near the end of the movie, 3 villainous mystics were brought back to the modern world with him, and I recall one of them saying "we should reinstate slavery; it taught people respect". As you can see, while Americans often associate slavery with race politics, it is far from a requirement.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    Not sure if movie or miniseries, but there was something about an American scholar who went back to ancient China, and everyone thinks he's Sanzang for some reason. I think he was researching the original copy of Journey to the West, like the original original. Near the end of the movie, 3 villainous mystics were brought back to the modern world with him, and I recall one of them saying "we should reinstate slavery; it taught people respect". As you can see, while Americans often associate slavery with race politics, it is far from a requirement.
    Yeah, most historians agree that American plantation slavery is actually unique historically for being so heavily tied to race. In ancient cultures like Greece or Rome slavery was more class than race-based, and even free people selling themselves into slavery to pay off debts or suchlike wasn't uncommon.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    IIRC there stuff about that in the Bible too. Something about 7 years being the maximum time you can keep a slave before his debt is considered paid?
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    IIRC there stuff about that in the Bible too. Something about 7 years being the maximum time you can keep a slave before his debt is considered paid?
    You are thinking about debt jubilee, it was a way to avoid the problems that arises when debt continues to build up and forcing people to give up their lands for example. Another benefit of cancelling debt to wealthy people was that it limited their ability to amass power for themselves.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Yeah, most historians agree that American plantation slavery is actually unique historically for being so heavily tied to race. In ancient cultures like Greece or Rome slavery was more class than race-based, and even free people selling themselves into slavery to pay off debts or suchlike wasn't uncommon.
    However, you wouldn't happen to know the name of said movie/miniseries, would you?

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Yeah, most historians agree that American plantation slavery is actually unique historically for being so heavily tied to race.
    [stares in American - as in, *the whole continent* -, African, and Asian colonisation]

Running away from Falconetti AsGryffynn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    I'm more confused by the fact slavers relied on the Bible than the fact it had a disposition for slavery.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/08/enter...uke/index.html
    The real question is who is playing Nobu.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    So after like... a year since it came out? Or two? I finally sat down to watch Far From Home. It was an okay movie, some good bits of info about "The Blip" and how people dealt with the aftereffects of Endgame, but the main villain was far too weak.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So I braved the theatres since it seems like thye might be closing again soon, and I wanted to see Tenet on the big screen. I don't think I've ever said this about a Christhoper Nolan movie before, but it needed to be longer. Not by much, but the first 20-30 minutes really need more establishing of the plot. Everything from the end of the prologue to the start of the first heist just happens. One minute the character is getting exposit-ed at, then there's a bunch of jump cuts of him on a lighthouse/wind turbine, then they just go somewhere and explain the gimmick of the film, then they're in India lookijng for someone who you only find out is an arms dealer once the MC has him at gunpoint. Then they go looking for another arms dealer and somehow after trying to get in with his wife they decide they need to rob his airport art vaults because it may have guns in it? It's very "go to this place, talk to them, they'll send you to this place to talk to them, etc.". After that part though every starts to fit nicely together, although I called the big twist of that scene from the start before the movie even hints that it's possible. There's also a bunch of jump cutting during the timey-wimey climax that makes things a bit hard to follow. I understand that they only had so many crew to work with so they put them in full body coverings to hide the re-use but it also made it hard to tell who things were happening to. Groups were colour coded, but it wasn't often prominent in the shot so it took a few seconds to realize which group was being followed at which time. Speaking of hard to follow there's a bit of a Bane problem in the movie, where a character had an accent, quiet talks and is in a mask or over the radio, and during exposition scenes or parts where critical plot details are happening that's a bit of a mess.

7/10, nowhere near as good as Inception, it actually feels like a downgrade compared to it, like Nolan forgot how to make/edit a movie.

Also, always make sure you're dead spy isn't trying to pull a Big Boss. Most other plot holes aren't really holes so much as things that are explained far too quickly, but that one really sticks out.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I always find the cheap melodrama of eternal life being a "curse" as something shallow and stupid (Green Mile). If you really wanted to die, couldn't commit suicide, but could still be killed normally, just keep picking fights with people until someone puts you out of your misery. So easy a snake can do it:

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not sure why you're talking about a really common take on the "immortality angst" archetype (the immortal warrior seeking out a worthy death on the battlefield) as if it's something that hardly ever happens in fiction. Especially when you even give an example yourself. Also, not everyone with a death-wish wants to die (presumably painfully) in battle. There's also characters like Dazai from Bungou Stray Dogs (not immortal, but has a lot of trouble dying) who wants to die but dislikes anything painful.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Oh, that's the rare niche of being suicidal and yet picky. Oddly, there is at least 1 person who fits that niche:

It's just that Paul is doing nothing but going around telling his pity story:

rather than being "proactive" about it, like Hirrus does. I think that Green Mile goes out of its way to show how immortality is a curse to be feared and proof of how terrible the wrath of God is when you destroy one of his miracles, but then I watch the movie and consider that if this is the best God can come up with, perhaps it's his time that's overdue. Also, I used to think that sparkly Twilight vampires were the most ridiculous thing, until I saw Cirque du Freak vampires who can't use guns. This is different from Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter vampires who individually choose not to use guns because they (erroneously) believe that they do not need them. CdF vampires literally have unbreakable laws against firearms and most other projectile weapons.
    Last edited by LegalLoliLover; October 16th, 2020 at 12:59 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The first Chocolate Factory movie pretty much makes Wonka into a Yahweh-like (not a compliment) figure, tempting people into falling into sin and then punishing them for it, while the remake humanizes him.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    "That's not a dog...it's the reincarnation of a debt collector!!!"

Thought I'd wind down a hectic day by enjoying a old timey classic film that I'd been meaning to get around to since forever which was "The Thief of Bagdad" - The 1940's remake in particular with the spectacular Conrad Veidt as the evil Vizier Jaffar and Sabu Dastagir as the iconic "Prince of Thieves" Abu.

It's a really good whimsical fantasy and a technological marvel for its time - especially given that WWII was going on. The plot was entertaining from start to finish, the actors all gave good performances and both the sets and the costumes really looked amazing. I did appreciate the subtle allusions to the other tales in the "One Thousand and One Nights" such as when Ahmed and Abu are planning their escape from Basra, Abu mentions he's got a contact named Sinbad who'll let them onto his ship or the fact that the first third of the movie is a "story within a story" as told by Ahmed. Overall if you can enjoy an older style flick then you really can't go wrong with this film, a definite recommend.

It is interesting to see just how much Disney's Aladdin ended up "borrowing" from it... :/
    Last edited by Skull; October 21st, 2020 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Typo
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Thief of Baghdad is awesome! My grandma had the VHS tape, sometimes we watched it when I visited her.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Father Kotomine as another priest.