Page 206 of 206 FirstFirst ... 106156196201204205206
Results 4,101 to 4,104 of 4104

Thread: General Movies Thread

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    I dunno man, VEE AHR ZA FAHST OARDAHHH was fucking hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

The Plesioth Hip Check of life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aldeayeah View Post
    I liked TFA until Han showed up. So, around the first third of the movie.

By the time they showed the fully armed and operational Death Star planet, I was groaning.

I have a high tolerance for fanservice but it was just too much.
    Eh, it was good tolerable precisely because it was fanservice. It showed a willingness to go back to what people originally liked about the franchise.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Eh, it was good tolerable precisely because it was fanservice. It showed a willingness to go back to what people originally liked about the franchise.
    I thought they were starting from a familiar place, to then take us somewhere exciting.

It turns out, they took us to grandma's home, where she forced us to browse through some old photo albums we'd already seen hundreds of times.
    don't quote me on this

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Moving back to movie reviews, I watched "Graveyard of Honor" this afternoon - the original 1975 version directed by Kinji Fukasaku who is probably only familiar to Westerners for his final film "Battle Royale" but for connoisseurs like me he is better known for his Yakuza films.

I am bemused that the subtitles translated the word 親分 as "Godfather" as this couldn't be any more different from the Al Pacino trilogy. It also differs from a lot of earlier Yakuza films as instead of the usual chivalric portrayal, Fukasaku once again does not hold back and depicts them as the absolute scum of the earth and none more so than the protagonist, Rikio "Riki" Ishikawa.

The plot is fairly simple yet classic in that it portrays the rise and fall of the main character in the criminal world. But what makes this movie really unique is the fact that Riki is in fact a real person so Fukasaku takes a quasi-documentary approach to filming, complete with childhood photographs of Riki as the narrator explains his background for the first three minutes of the film. In addition, Fukasaku employs his iconic Cinéma Vérité-esque style of filmmaking with unusual camera angles and whatnot. The only thing that particularly bothered me was the blood effects - especially the climax where it was almost something out of Evil Dead what with the red stuff just squirting everywhere.

Given the aforementioned faux-documentary nature of the product it's hard to say whether it was a good or bad film as there isn't a structured narrative but rather a bunch of stuff happening over the course of Riki's life...but I was firmly engaged the whole time so I guess it was a success. Overall I give the film two Yubitsume's...er, that is to say I recommend it.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)