Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Magnificence

Blog Entries

The Magnificence

The Magnificence

Prologue

“You’re a sorcerer.”

It was offered gently, tentatively, like a child trying to coax a skittish cat into arm’s reach.

“You are a sorcerer...aren’t you?”

She seemed nice enough, teenaged and rail thin, but he wasn’t in much of a mood for a scratch behind the ears.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he said instead of goodbye as he took off down the street at a trot. He needed to move, but he didn’t want any attention. He didn’t regret saving her (would never regret saving anyone), but he didn’t want any questions.

“There’s no way someone could get hit by a car full-force like that and walk away like it was nothing,” she said, scurrying after him to keep pace down the increasingly congested London street. He heard some people shouting after him, but there didn’t seem to be any serious effort to follow him, girl aside. With any luck, the rubberneckers would be more interested in the crash than the crashed-into.

“You’re right,” he said, and out of the corner of his eye, he saw her puffing up with pride. “I wouldn’t be walking at all if that car had hit me. It was a close call, though.”

She pressed her lips into a thin line.

“I saw the windshield and half the hood caved in. I heard it. Like this big crunch!”

He stopped so suddenly she was already a pace and a half past him by the time she thought to stop.

“I don’t know what you thought you heard, but you’re obviously shaken up. I think you need--”

“I need someone with magic.” Hands on her hips, incongruous steel in those chocolate-brown eyes. The high ponytail looked too young on her now. “Strong magic, the kind of magic that will let a man walk into certain death and right back out like nothing happened. That’s Reinforcement, at least, maybe even some sort of healing spell or regeneration. That’s going to come in handy.”

Some part of him knew better than to ask, knew to wash his hands of this girl.

That was not the part that won out.

“Come in handy for what?”

She bit her lip, and then she was young again.

“I...well, we have a vampire problem.”

Shirou had to hand it to her. She knew how to bait the hook.
    Last edited by Imperial; November 29th, 2014 at 08:02 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Has promise, though I can't say much for now since, well, this was pretty short.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he said instead of goodbye as he took off down the street at a trot. He needed to move, but he didn’t want any attention. He didn’t regret saving her (would never regret saving anyone), but he didn’t want any questions.
    You could probably redo this as [he said instead of goodbye, as he took off down the street at a trot. He needed to [get out of here?]move, but he didn't wanted any attention. He didn't regret saving her, that very line of thought didn't exist to him, but he didn't want any questions.] because paranthesis are rarely good, and this was not one of those times.
    Last edited by Christemo; November 28th, 2014 at 05:00 PM.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    A bit on the short side, but I'm interested enough to read the next chapter when it arrives.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, color me interested as well.

After Archer geeked out about vampires in Extra, I was wondering when someone was going to write Shirou The Vampire Slayer.

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Jennifer...language=en_US

Forest is a vampire who's a bit too good for her own good and doesn't know when to leave things alone. Armed with a ridiculously large hand gun, martial arts skills, a bitching pony car, and a love for pop culture she fights the forces of evil. Urban Fantasy 80's Style.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    Elfgasm: The phenomenon that occurs among the general populace whenever a certain user who has been claimed to wear jackboots and is pointy-eared posts an idea or updates and is met with majority approval to the point of near-zeal as a result of said poster's popularity with the writing crowd.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    I can't help but be reminded of Twilight, what with the abnormal dude shrugging off a car crash and being chased by a girl witness.

And I agree with Christemo on the parenthetical; those are best integrated fully into the narrative. Still, Shirou fighting vampires as a focus instead of a training arc is interesting enough to follow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    I can't help but be reminded of Twilight, what with the abnormal dude shrugging off a car crash and being chased by a girl witness.
    This is not the kind of vampire story I wanted to write.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I'll keep an eye on this, even if the title keeps reminding me of Jim Carey's "the Majestic". As long as it isn't about Shirou and a movie theatre the whole time, I'll be fine.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Really short, but I'm already interested in hearing this girl's story. She seems to know at least a little about magecraft, so it seems odd she would have to go to the first magus she met for a vampire hunt in London of all paces.

I like what we see of Shirou's inner thoughts, too. He already seems like an old hand, but just as passionate and reckless as ever.

JP Friend Code
    No one cares.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    lol. But I'll keep an eye for this. I want to see Shirou go against DAs.

"......"

Quote Originally Posted by Thedoctor View Post
    Why can't we all be as sexually devious as Renko?

Miscellaneous Info

Quote Originally Posted by Renko
    "I really loathe Fanfictions that are so horrendously horrible, it makes me want to go get my massive NAIL BAT OF RAPTURE and swing it real HARD to any AUTHOR who will dare create such filthy and disgusting piece of literature!"

"THEY WON'T SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY....THEY WILL SUFFER!"

Blog Entries
    The Magnificence
    Chapter 1

“Dead Apostle” was a phrase that filled the uninitiated with more than a little puzzlement. Oh, yes, the son of God had had followers that clearly passed away in the two-thousand-plus years since His crucifixion, but what did any of that have to do with vampires?

To begin at the beginning, Gaia called out for a savior, and something like and unlike a man descended from the Moon. Gaia was pleased. So pleased, in fact, that She ushered into the garden of her body something that could be considered a pantheon of nature spirits struck from the moon-man’s mold. These were the True Ancestors.

Like so many before them, the True Ancestors had their priests and disciples, those who wished to share in the gift of life measured in more than mortal years. These were the Dead Apostles.

Like their masters, the Dead Apostles were blood-drinking immortals. Like their masters, the Dead Apostles were only as good as they allowed themselve to be.

Which is, in the absence of Gaia’s grace, rarely good at all.

Imagine all the world’s hunger, all the world’s desires with power enough to explore those parts of themselves in a bacchanalian orgy of violence and arrogance. This is a Dead Apostle.

Among the Dead Apostles, there are royals, those who are impossibly long-lived or powerful or whatever other piece of criteria is used to delineate those monsters among monsters. These are the Twenty-Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors.

“On second thought, make that two.”

With two shots in his left hand and a pint glass in his right, Kairi Shishigou sauntered from the tiny little bar to the tiny little booth on the way to the bathroom.

It wasn’t anything special, this hole in the wall, and that’s what made it special to him. It had all the usual trappings: booths, bar stool, creaky old fan and two fraying pool tables crammed so closely together that two simultaneous games were theoretically possible yet impractical at best. Paint flecking in places that you would only ever see if you knew where to look, a bathroom that smelled vaguely of urine without ever leaving any messes out in the open. Little things that made it trash not so trashy that Kairi lost all self-respect. It was neither ritzy enough for Lords nor scummy enough for the other Lords looking to slum it for cheap thrills or a personal reminder of why they stapled their noses to the ceiling. It was cheap, too, but not so cheap that the first-years would be drawn like moths to its high-proof flame.

Most of all, he did it because it was far enough away from the Clock Tower campus he wouldn’t have to worry about someone trying to mix his work with pleasure.

Which meant Shirou Emiya had to stake a claim on a table after asking the bartender, Old Joe, questions so obviously leading that OJ would surreptitiously nod him toward Shirou’s corner of establishment with a warning that someone was looking for him.

Fuckin’ amateur hour.

But who was the real idiot if he was waltzing right over?

He dropped his shots on the table hard enough that they sloshed up and over the rim. That was fine. It was cheap booze anyway.

“If you’re here, that means both of us fucked up,” he said by way of greeting. “I’ll tell you mine, and that’s getting predictable. I don’t go to magus bars so I don’t have to run into guys like you when I’m off the clock.” He knocked back a shot without wincing. “No offense.”

“None taken,” Shirou said. He didn’t make a move to take the second shot. He didn’t drink much, if ever, and, more importantly, he wasn’t sure it was meant for him.

“It’s too bad. I like this place.” Kairi paused to sip on his pint. “Spill.”

“I need your advice,” Shirou said, eyebrows drawing together pensively.

“Is it about the new look? ‘cause I got to say, you’re rocking it. Not too many redheads can pull off that kind of tan.”

“I...thanks,” said Shirou, too polite to brush off the compliment, as far from the pressing topic as it may have been. “I spent some time in the Serengeti. I was in the Caribbean after that. I got a lot of sun.”

He didn’t elaborate. He didn’t want to dwell on the people he had followed to those places or what they did to catch his attention.

“Is that when you got the contacts?” Kairi said, prying him from the memories.

“What contacts?” said Shirou, blinking the eyes in question.

“Y’know,” Kairi leaned back, spreading out his arms and legs languidly to engulf his side of the booth, “when I first met you, I thought you had to be part-something-other-than-human. I said to myself, ‘there’s no way a guy can have 24 karat eyes without being part vampire or something.’ Figured you were a hybrid with how popular those are in Japan.” Kairi took another sip, wistfully thinking back to his first time meeting one Shirou Emiya. “What a clusterfuck.”

“I didn’t come to talk about Las Vegas.”

“On?” Kairi’s eyebrows danced in merriment just above his sunglasses.

“I ran into a group of Danish teenagers asking about Dead Apostles.”

“Oh.”

“Are you sure we can trust him, Ana?”

The Ana in question just so happened to be the petite young woman whose little problem had sent Shirou across town.

“For the last time, Freddie, yes!” said Sven, the brunette sprawled across one of the two queens, absently flicking through the best the BBC had to offer. In Sven’s humble opinion, it wasn’t much.

The Freddie in question was a pale, plump of a blond nervously tinkering with his homework assignment at the cramped hotel room’s desk, but he wasn’t getting much of anywhere with all of the nervous starts and stops.

Ana murmured something, muffled from the restroom.

“If Ana says it’s fine, then it’s fine, right?” Sven added. “At least it’s a start, you know? He’s the first one to take us seriously since we got here.”

Freddie paused, digested and considered. He turned back to his work while Sven went back to his TV, and Ana went back to doing whatever it was Ana was doing. (Freddie was just young that he half-believed women only used the restroom to powder their noses.)

“But...are you sure?”

“Freddie!” Sven threw the remote at his co-apprentice.

“Sven,” Ana said with a stern gaze and a shake of her finger as she rejoined them just in time to see Sven’s mild outburst. Freddie found her a bit hard to take seriously with her face caked like that. When had she started wearing so much makeup? “We don’t need to resort to violence.”

“Yeah, yeah,” Sven muttered, unfolding to his true height to retrieve the remote from what looked like half the room.

Mildly mollified, Ana put on her winningest smile and her most assuring tone.

“Trust me, Freddie. I know it will all work out. It’s just like Master said! He’s not a magus! He’s a sorcerer, just like us!”

“Jesus Christ,” Kairi muttered before he polished off half his pint in one gulp.

“I know.”

“I had you pegged for the kind of guy who liked to take in strays, but you’re talking about fighting a Dead Apostle head on.”

“I know.”

“That’s some serious stuff.”

“You’ve done it before,” Shirou crossed his arms.

“It’s not like I was doing it on purpose. I just ran into him because my mark had a pet vampire.”

“I seem to remember you were the one that finally killed it.”

“Yeah,” Kairi smiled dreamily. “I did, didn’t I?”

“If you’ve done it once, you can do it again,” Shirou said as if that settled it. “Just teach me how.”

“Hold on, Van Helsing.” Kairi sat up a bit straighter as he put a hand like a bear’s paw on Shirou’s shoulder. “There’s a bit more to killing Apostles than a two-step tutorial. And even if it was that simple, you would need some more guys to pull it off.”

Shirou was already sitting up straight, so he leaned forward intently.

“How many?”

“That’s a big question, kid,” Kairi sat back. Now it was his turn to cross his arms as he hunched in thought. “I would need to know what kind of blooduscker we’re going up against here. Newly minted? Old-school? Or, shit, Ancestor?”

Shirou’s eyes glinted like white gold in the dim light. Kairi didn’t like it one bit.

“What if it was a Dead Apostle Ancestor?” He said it with a conspirator’s delicateness. “What then?”

“I’d get out of town. That’s the Church’s problem. Or Bartholemoi’s. Whoever has a bigger hard-on for putting more canines on the mantle that day.”

“But what if it wasn’t that easy?”

“Fine,” Kairi threw his hands up before slamming them back down on the table. “Let’s say we can’t go through the official channels, so that’s no team of Executors, no Enforcers, no Batallion. Whatever and whoever you can pull together, and I do mean who because there’s no way you’re doing this alone. So, it’s whatever guys you can get, whatever skills and weapons they have. But let’s say you get lucky, get some guys with some decent firepower and more than one spine between ‘em. I, God, I hate to even say it, but I think you’re looking at seven.”

“Seven magi?” Shirou frowned. It couldn’t be that simple. There was a reason highly specialized vampire slayers like the Executors and the Bartholemoi family’s personal Battalion of Chron existed.

“Is that too many? You want to do with three and earn bonus points for how crazy you are?”

“No,” Shirou said, metallic eyes shining with thought. “No, seven is good. Anything less is too risky, and anything more is too obvious. The Association would get involved or the vampire would see it coming. Seven. That just means five more.”

“Hold on. I never said that I was in on this or that the plan was watertight. That was just a thought exercise. Shirou, listen to me. Running off half-cocked to fight vampires is a cool thing for Keanu Reeves to do, but, man, I hate to break it to you, you’re not Keanu Reeves.”

Shirou stared at him impatiently. He didn’t know who Keanu Reeves was or how he was relevant.

“You need as much help as you can get, kid. Look, I’m not saying I’m on board with this venture, but I can make a few inquiries, you know? Ask around about anyone who has some experience with this sort of thing. Maybe even scare up a few guys with death wishes as strong as yours.”

“You don’t have to do that. I’ve already involved you more than I should have. I saved that girl and listened to her problem. This is something for me to handle.”

“It becomes my problem when I let you go marching off to meet the reaper without any backup.”

It was then that Shirou remembered why he trusted a man like Kairi Shishigou, a man who smelled of blood and drank like a fish and had a heart so big he had to wear it on his sleeve.

“Thank you, Kairi,” Shirou said quietly, bowing his head.

“Whatever, kid. You came to me because you know I’m the type of guy to put my neck out for you.”

“No one is asking you do that,” Shirou tried to say it with a sense of gravity, to give Kairi another opportunity not to bear his burden, but Shirou found himself smiling in spite of himself. He didn't hate people like Kairi.

“Oh, that’s rich, coming from you.”

Last edited by Imperial; November 30th, 2014 at 02:37 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Even if it's not exactly how he is in canon, I liked Kairi this chapter.

Now, Danish names crackdown time:

Sven is spelled Svend with a D in Danish. Every time.
    Anna is always spelled with two N's, and a more common varient would be Anne with an E
    Freddie is not a Danish name unless it's a nickname for Frederik.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Sheeeeeit.

That prose. That dialogue. I'm in love already. Not to mention we have one of the only characters in the nasuverse who can pull off leather and sunglasses involved.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    o.o

hold on

is this that seven samurai with magi idea you had

does this mean we'll get touko
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

JP Friend Code
    No one cares.
    Blog Entries
    Kairi seems a bit off.....but whatever.

"......"

Quote Originally Posted by Thedoctor View Post
    Why can't we all be as sexually devious as Renko?

Miscellaneous Info

Quote Originally Posted by Renko
    "I really loathe Fanfictions that are so horrendously horrible, it makes me want to go get my massive NAIL BAT OF RAPTURE and swing it real HARD to any AUTHOR who will dare create such filthy and disgusting piece of literature!"

"THEY WON'T SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY....THEY WILL SUFFER!"

Blog Entries
    The Magnificence

Chapter 2

“Not in the mood for your shit today, Rott.”

“It is certainly good to see you, too!”

Kairi raised a hand to ward off the too-bright sun in spite of his glasses as he stretched his neck out, which really did some awful things to the bunching muscles that had slept at odd angles when he pooled himself out on the floor of his rented flat, to look over the edge of a bridge only the British could find charming. There, perched upon, or rather upside down, on the arch of the bridge, was a man too seasoned to be young and too vigorous to be old.

A medalist’s silver was his color. It made him distinguished in the finely gelled hair that swept up--or was that down?--and back in spite of the fact that he hung like a napping bat. It made him presentable in the Italian cut suit that resembled nothing so much as smoke wrapped lovingly around his evidently muscular body--certainly nothing so mundane as the impossibly high thread count swath of fabric it truly was.

But Rottweil Berzinsky, famed Silver Lizard and esteemed gentleman about town, wasn’t one to rest on his laurels. Silvers and grays suited him, but it did not define him. Gray was not his skin that held a healthy, creamy glow of neither alabaster nor bronze, and not even a stray tuft of gray fell upon his shirt, buttoned almost to the top to allow a peek at his pectoralis major, was bride-white. His teeth matched, teeth that gleamed up at Kairi so radiantly that the bounty hunter in black half-suspected an enchantment and flat out knew he wanted to feed those teeth right back to Mr. Berzinsky.

All in all, Rottweill looked good, but then Rottweill always looked good.

He looked good when that product-kissed hair was smeared with blood and those pearly whites were chipped. Not that these things had a way of happening very often, if at all. Come to think of it, Kairi could barely remember the last time the Lizard had allowed someone to touch his face or sully his suits, even in the heat of battle.

Come to think of it, a man like him would be more than useful in a scrap with Dead Apostles.

“Stop showing off and get the fuck up here.”

Rottweill’s winning smile remained plastered on his face as he sauntered up the side of the bridge in a way that made gravity seethe almost as much as Kairi. For all the traditions he bucked and time spent away from the Association, Kairi was still a magus at heart. Such flagrant displays of magecraft were an affront to his sensibilities. Rottweill only got away with it due to a three-part defense of having friends in high places, erecting a diversion field to ward off the common folk before every such stunt and killing most of the people who saw him doing it.

Eccentricities or no, Rottweill Berzinsky was a magical killer par excellence.

And it was for this reason that Kairi respected him. For all of the times they clashed over strategy or presentation, Kairi Shishigou and Rottweill Berzinsky were brothers-in-arms who had seen the best of each other’s craft. Put a gun to his head, and Kairi Shishigou would admit he envied the man. Just a bit.

“Why, my dear necromancer, I do believe you are drunk!” Rottweill entirely-too-loudly said in a German accent bludgeoned into something untraceable after years touring the world. It only served to reinforce the exoticism that he somehow exuded in spite of such Western fashion.

“Oh, yeah, how you figure?”

“You are not the type to use curse words unless you have been drinking,” Rottweill said with a laugh as he vaulted himself up and over the handrail onto firmer ground without any flourish. That he could do it so casually was his flourish. “And there is the simple fact that I can smell it on you. You know your hard luck in love might not be so hard if you took greater care of things like that.”

Privately, Kairi took it all back. He couldn’t feel much respect for the man in that moment.

Kairi wouldn’t feel the least bit bad about tossing him into Emiya’s little disaster.

“Wanna fight a vampire?”

“We could always ask our dear friend Alba,” Rottweill said, adding a bit of cream to his top dollar coffee. Rott said he needed it to chase away that hangover. Kairi didn’t see the big deal about his hangover. Or the coffee for that matter. It tasted better than the instant he was used to, sure, but it wasn’t worth the insane price tag. For something like that, his coffee should have come with a diamond encrusted cup and a backrub from Miss America. Then again, Rott was buying.

“Alba?” Kairi snorted. Cornelius Alba, that Willy Wonka-looking freak and career opportunist, was no one’s dear friend. “He hasn’t been in the field since he got a spot at the Abbey.”

“Of course that is the case, but as director, he could martial Enforcers with next to no notice.”

“The Association wouldn’t be happy it, and Alba wouldn’t go for it. He knows he has a sweet deal.”

“And why is that?”

“The kids already tried to get some Enforcers on the job. They got laughed off campus.”

Rottweill’s stirring slowed but did not stop.

“Is that so?” His eyes twinkled. “If nothing else, he could provide us with a list of recommended men at arms. You know as well as I that most Enforcers make their money freelancing.”

It was not an uncommon story, the Enforcer-turned-independent. Most Enforcers only received one or two big hunts a year, and while those hunts were very generously compensated (because really, how many lineage-obsessed, Crest-guarding magi would risk themselves in the field?), it was rarely enough to support a magus’s habits. There were workshops to maintain, vices to indulge.

Kairi drank after his jobs. Some of them smoked hashish. Others simply buried themselves in the nearest pretty thing. A few went even further afield. He didn’t want to think about Alba’s tastes. Then again, he didn’t like to think of Alba much at all.

“That is more his style, keeping it off the books,” Kairi said, “but anyone Alba sends our way is going to look out for Alba.”

“I fail to see how that is a problem.”

Kairi straightened in his chair, his coffee forgotten, his air deadly serious. He had considered just how much he should tell the Lizard, but Rottweill couldn’t truly appreciate the nature of the task if someone did not lay all of the pieces out on the table. Some small part of Kairi felt like it wasn’t his place. This was Emiya Junior’s catch. But this was bigger than Emiya.

“These kids are apprentices to Shazard Lugandy.” He paused, letting it sink in.

Rottweill went very still.

“We’re looking for more than firepower,” he continued. “Anyone we pull into this is going to have to be someone we can trust. There are plenty of magi out there who would give their right arm to have even one of his toys. We have to make sure we can get people who won’t give us up for the whole toybox.”

Rottweill smiled then, stiffly, and drained in a gulp the coffee that cost more than a steak in some places. He stood, straightened his cuffs and fixed Kairi with a look that brooked no argument.

“I do believe it is time I met these children. I should very much like to hear their story.”

Last edited by Imperial; May 10th, 2015 at 10:12 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Interesting.

I like the direction you went in when turning a name into a character.
    canon finish apo vol 3

This did indeed catch my interest.

Blog Entries
    The Magnificence

Chapter 3

The woman behind the counter walked with a spring in her step, a twinkle in her eye and a smile on her lips. He wondered what she was doing in this dingy little pawn shop, cluttered with technology that had gone out of style before Kiritsugu. She seemed like a perfectly nice lady, which was to say Shirou felt terrible for what he was about to ask her.

"Say, miss, what are the buyers like for something like this?"

He pulled a length of chain from his pocket and held it up for her to see the real prize dangling at the end: A radiantly red gemstone.

To her credit, the woman behind the counter regained her poker face about as quickly as she possibly could have. Like her, the pendant was too good for this place. They both knew it.

"Well, it's hard to say," she said, smothering a twitch in her hand that was the beginning of an urge to reach out and grab it. "I'd have to take a closer look."

"You look with your eyes," Ana said not-at-all-helpfully.

Shirou blinked. He hadn't even heard her. He hadn't even realized she was standing next to him until she opened her mouth.

"I thought I told you to wait outside."

"You did, but I..."

Ana inwardly wondered if he had any children, with a glare like that.

"We could pay you," Ana said, if only to break the silence. "You need money, right? That's why you wanted to sell that pretty diamond, right? So why don't you let us pay you? Maybe not in money. Master Shazard didn't like using it. Said it was just paper. But I'm sure we could repay you some other way."

He stopped so suddenly she almost walked into him. He had cocked his head to the side, thoughtful, impossible eyes boring into her.

"Shazard Lugandy, Shazard the Green, was an artificer of astounding talent. Certainly the greatest of his generation, enough that he was crowned the Modern Daedalus. If you really want to repay me, then you could crack open the treasure chest and let me have a look around."

He hadn't offered to help her for the promise of reward, but she didn't have to know that. Why not have a little fun at her expense?

"No! No, no, no, no!" She shook her head so vehemently he wondered if she was about to wring her own neck with the momentum. "Absolutely not! Master Shazard didn't make those, those things so people could gather them up like, like toys or trading cards or, or, or whatever! They're useful, but they're powerful, too! And dangerous! And, God! Master Shazard warned me about people like you! I thought you were a sorcerer, but you're just another magus, aren't you? I...I thought you were special!"

And then Ana turned on her cute little heels and dashed off into the busy streets of London. Right toward another busy intersection.

Shirou broke into a run.

"We should wait until Ana gets back."

And what was all Sven really had to say on the subject. Oh, he made a big show of changing the channel, so casual about the elephant in the living room, or rather the magus in their hotel room, that he wouldn't given Rottweill the time of day. But his hands trembled. He didn't look at the screen long enough to absorb any of the news channels or cartoons or documentaries sliding past him. He was going to break into a cold sweat any minute now.

Rottweill had seen it a hundred times before. But he was used to seeing it on his target's face the second before he put a hand through his or her chest, not in the pinched, terrified faces of teenagers who meant him no harm.

Freddie made no effort to hide the terror of the condemned, wringing his hands and screwing up his round face. He was ready to spill his guts and tell this man everything he could ever want to hear. He was ready to wet himself.

And it was with this scene of abject terror in mind that Kairi decided maybe, just maybe, he shouldn't have introduced Rott to the kids as the magus with the most confirmed kills under his (probably Louis Vuitton) belt this side of the Alps.

"He's on our side," Kairi said, slapping Rott on the shoulder like the buddy he only sort of was. "I promise."

"Yeah, well, that's nice," Sven said, "but we should still wait. We came here because of Master Lugandy. It's only right for all four of us to be here before we tell you all about him."

Shirou pretended to be absolutely fascinated by a jogger huffing and puffing past their park bench as Ana fixed her makeup. If there was one hard-won thing he had learned about women in his life, it was to give them their dignity, however tenuous the illusion. Between the sweat and the tears, her painted on face had been falling off. Strange, that. She hadn't been wearing much at all when he first met her. Now she was marinating in it.

They sat for a time, neither one saying much of anything. It was becoming a familiar sensation. They hadn't spoken a word to each other for the first three blocks of the walk back from the pawn shop, she too embarrassed to speak up after his non-verbal scolding and he too focused on spinning the wheels in his head about what he would do if he couldn't get Toulemonde.

But she had broken the silence then, asking about money. This time, she broke the silence by asking about the gem.

"Did it belong to your mom? Or, I don't know, or your girlfriend?"

He wasn't about to answer that question.

"What makes you think I got it from someone else? Maybe it's mine. Couldn't I appreciate the finer things in life?"

"Oh! Right! I mean, oh, wow, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean, it's not like I think you're a hobo or anything! Not that I have anything against hobos! I, er, is it mean to say that word? The H word?"

And even with all of that concealer, he saw her blush to her ears. He smiled then. She reminded him of Rin without being much like her in any other way. He decided to let her off before she sputtered herself into oblivion.

"It's a gift from an old friend," he said, rising. He needed to get back and see if Kairi had had any more luck.

"Just a friend? She gave you a gemstone that big and that pretty and that magical and she's just a friend?"

"We have a history." And that was all he was going to say on the matter.

Maybe it was because he didn't want to talk about it. Maybe it was because he didn't trust her enough yet. And while those things were all well and true and good, he didn't tell her because a man had just walked past in a very peculiar tracksuit the colors of the French flag.

It was a stretch to say Freddie was cowering in the corner, but it wasn't too far from the truth. Ana was reminded of nothing so much of a dog that had made a mess just in time for master to come home and find it. When she saw the sharp-dressed man standing next to Shirou's leather friend, she was beginning to understand why.

"What did you tell them?"

Freddie moaned.

"Don't be like that, Ana," Sven said, finally rolling out of the guarded hunch that had been sitting in his shoulders ever since Rottweill walked through the door. "You know how he is under pressure."

"And that's why Master Shazard was so hard on him! He's never going to be a great sorcerer if -- "

"And speaking of Mr. Lugandy," Rottweill cut into the conversation like a velvet knife, "he must have been up to something quite extraordinary to call down a knight of no less than the Princess of the Dead Apostles. Now, these boys will only tell us so much without all of you here at once, but they have told me quite enough. What does Fina-Blood Svelten want with your master?"

For all of the answers Rottweill wanted, he received none. He sighed through his nostrils, straightened his cuffs and asked again to a resounding silence.

Kairi noticed it first.

"Actually, the kid said he wouldn't tell us anything until all four of them were here, but I only met the three of you. Where's the fourth apprentice?"

The three shared a look, only to look down (Freddie), at a suddenly engrossing spot on the far wall (Sven) or at the bathroom mirror visible even from where she stood (Ana). And it was that way they stood and stared for a time until Ana, as if hypnotized by the sight of herself in reflection, began speaking without enthusiasm or inflection.

"He's not here, and he's not coming. He's in the the workshop, and that's where he's going to stay until we can figure something out."

Now it was Kairi and Rottweill's chance to share a look. Rottweill didn't know this girl, but all three were a spirited bunch from what he had been told. Kairi hadn't taken her for the somber type either. Something horrible had happened in Shazard Lugandy's workshop.

"That doesn't really tell us anything," Kairi said.

"You want to know why Final-Blood or whatever his name is wants to come back to our home again? Even after he ruined everything last time? Because he bit Orville. He bit him and he's changing and he's coming back to take him away. Master Shazard is already gone. If we let him come back, he's going to take everything. He'll take Orvile, he'll take the plans and he'll take the Magnificence."

It was Rottweill's turn to ask now. That word had struck a nerve.

"Tell me, dear girl, what is the Magnificence?"

"I'm glad you could make it," Shirou said, nodding rather than waving toward the man in the French tracksuit who approached him in the dusky gloom. He wouldn't make any sudden movement that the other man could interpret as even remotely hostile. No, Shirou knew what this man could do and had no desire to see it done. Not yet. If things went his way, he would see that man work his terrible talents on the undead very soon.

In spite of his apparel, the man in the French tracksuit moved with no urgency. There was an efficient placidity in his walk, wasting no more energy than necessary yet moving with a purpose that tolerated neither sloth nor aimlessness. He had the ramrod posture of a king, of a conquering general, of a proud man.

Oh, he had reason to be proud. However much Kairi respected Rottweill Berzinsky for his killing arts, Shirou matched him in his regard for the Jewel Killer.
    Last edited by Imperial; May 10th, 2015 at 10:12 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    It's alive!

Though Shirou seriously hocked Rin's pendant? That seems horribly out of character; was it just a Projection?
    canon finish apo vol 3

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Jewel Killer? Ah man, shit's going to get really real up in this.

- - - Updated - - -

Barely explored background characters are always fun to elaborate upon, I mean to say.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.