Page 187 of 188 FirstFirst ... 87137177182185186187188 LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,740 of 3749

Thread: Lord El-Melloi II Case Files

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    Luvia could just think they're dating.
    Could be. And now that I think on it, I suspect Rin might consider herself in the running and not just let Shirou get pulled away like that. Especially if he is her assistant pretty much.

As for the Garan no Dou, the current owner's gender is never actually given, am I correct?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by warellis View Post
    As for the Garan no Dou, the current owner's gender is never actually given, am I correct?
    Mana mentions the current owner likes fairy tales and has a bookshelf of picture books on the top floor.
    Mitsuru is a possibility, but considering Mana tells Ergo she'd like to meet a living author (implying that she hasn't), probably not.

There are these lines in gospel of the future
    This should have come earlier, but I’m Kamekura Mitsuru, a novice picture book author.
    I’m twenty-five this year, still no more than a rookie, but for whatever reason the magazines always remember me, and I have gotten a few books published. And it was all thanks to the previous tenant of this place that I had inherited all these connections along with the office.
    … It was exactly two years ago. My debts were piling up from the this office’s rent and living expenses, and at last the creditors had come calling.
    It sounds like Mitsuru is talking about Touko but with the Case Files info, he could be talking about the owner in 2007 (Mitsuru rents Garan no Dou in 2010-2=2008) who likes fairy tales and its that person's connections that gave him a foot into getting published.
    Also Mitsuru is not Mikiya's friend.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GhostKing 666 View Post
    While using the sword in Heavens Feel was supposed to have helped Rin grasp the blueprints and theory behind the sword generations ahead of what Zelretch figured the Toshaka family would be able to achieve, it was still supposed to take decades of research and numerous resources before Rin would be able to reproduce her own version.

No matter how you look at it, unless something got retconned, it shouldn't be possible for Rin and Shirou to reproduce the sword right now, not with Illya dead.
    Rin made a mini copy that failed in HA.
    I assumed this was an example of dramatic irony. Where Rin is confident that she could (like she was in HA) but you the reader (having read HA) knew it would have been a bad idea because it'd lead to a GO Collab.
    Last edited by You; August 31st, 2021 at 07:14 PM.
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ticeexcenny
    In my opinion you are not right. I am assured. Let's discuss it. Write to me in PM, we will talk.

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by warellis View Post
    As I said last page, he's not gendered by Sanda and I didn't gender him in the summary either because I wasn't remembering Maayu. I read about him the same day I watched Future Gospel, and naturally the actual movie was the part my brain retained.

Anyways, apparently the Future Gospel Bluray Q&A was never translated, since I just checked and I was the first one in all of BL to mention Maayu last page and googling his name gives nothing, so I guess I'll have to explain myself on this one.

Both the novel and the movie for Future Gospel make allusions to Mitsuru's friend but never fully explain who the man was, so that was taken to the Q&A and given a full infodump. His name was Mizuhara Maayu (I guess? The kanji is 水原真鮎 but Nasu never gave us the reading). A wheel-chaired saint. He had leukemia, so when Mitsuru met him, he was on the last 6 months of his life. He thought the Garan no Dou was a neat building, so he bought the place. When Mitsuru had nowhere left to go, Mikiya introduced him to Maayu and they started living together in the Garan no Dou, with Mitsuru as Maayu's caregiver.

He's not wheelchaired because of the leukemia though. His legs were damaged in one of the Meruka bombings. Maayu was the only one of Mitsuru's victims he personally, so his presence made Mitsuru finally confront his crimes a good 10 years after he gained a normal life. Maayu later wrote a Vampire's Tear, a fairytale book based on Mitsuru. The book was successful, but the problem with that is that he published the book using Mitsuru's real name as his pen name.

A lot about Mitsuru is reframed by this last part. One of his most curious character traits in Future Gospel is that he referred to his writer self as "he" instead of "I", and that's the reason why. Mitsuru was deep in debt because his books after Vampire's Tear weren't selling, but Mana decided to save him because she was Vampire's Tear fan, and yet she says to the face of the author she idolizes that his second work, Afterglow Cage, is a waste of paper. The main story only gives us Mana wondering if he's the kind of author who blows his entire load in his debut work, but with this extra tidbit about Maayu, Mitsuru's one-hit wonder status starts making a lot more sense.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors madarra's Avatar
    I guess that explains that random shot of Mitsuru and a wheelchair with "Vampires tears" on it when they visit Mother of Mifune at the end. Thanks for the enlightenment Comun.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle All fictions's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Today I Learn
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Punching out some nerd doesn't make you a better magus.

Whats this about the zelretch sword, did shirou make it here or something?

US Friend Code
    No, Rin complains to Waver that she wishes she had made it ahead of time since they're fighting Servant-level opponents. I don't think there's any indication that she or Shirou would actually be capable of it (since Illya should be dead, her body stops working a year after FSN), just that she wishes she had.

JP Friend Code
    Transition chapter
    Akane is in her noh mask room chanting the furube furube yurayura to furube to communicate with her god, asking it what's making it so violent, or scared. Her soul starts shaking. Resonance makes a mask start shaking. Resonance makes the masks around that mask start shaking. Resonance makes the masks around those masks start shaking, etc. When every mask is shaking, Akane sees two of her god. She feels the need hold the next festival earlier than planned and laments that Waver isn't trustworthy. She calls Yukinobu and orders him to hand over the rest of his Divine Body. Yukinobu undoes his arm cast, revealing a pulsating crest in the few bits of skin that still haven't been peeled off from his arm. Akane peels off the rest of the skin with her knife and sets it on the inside of the first mask that shook. Then she starts screaming as blood drips of the gap between her face and the mask.

In London, Latio visits Reines's office asking for cooperation. She predicted Reines would deny responsibility over her brother's independent decisions and used that to claim Reines had no reason to reject her offer. She takes Tangere's normal-sized skull off her bag and he grows the rest of his body from it. Tangere uses his hand a monitor to show Reines a world map with black splotches running from the coast of the Mediterranean through India all the way to China, and Japan after it. She explains that this is the spread of the god chosen by the Crudelis. As the map shows, it's a god with many different names, avatars, and variants, and until the factor in Ergo awakens, the Crudelis can't fully calculate which version it'll be. Due to Reines's familiarity with Iskandar, she can tell that from that spread route that it's a Hellenistic god first spread to the East by Iskandar's invasions. Latio tells that there is a Divine Body for her god in Japan, and she's requesting Reines to take data from the Divine Body's owner in exchange for Latio sharing the analysis results. Latio needs that data to obtain Ergo and Reines needs it so save him, so they can cooperate until the analysis results are shared. Reines asks which magecraft organization has Ergo's god's Divine Body. To no one's surprise, it's the Yakou.

Back to Gray's perspective. She wakes up early and finds Ruo leaving the place, carrying a sleeping Akira with him. His way to thank the protagonists for everything is leaving the Garan no Dou before the Yakou get there and misinterpret them as traitors. He has the key now, so he can sneak back in after Waver's group left the place for good. Waver then comes in and asks Ruo to confirm if his deductions are right. Starting from the conclusion, Ruo didn't eat a god. He retreads some exposition from volume 1 about hands as a symbol of evolution, explaining how it makes no sense for Ruo to have wings instead, since growing wings is an evolutionary route humans didn't go through. People don't need wings like they need
    gods
    hands
    . There are some winged gods around Mesopotamia, Greece, etc, but none of them match Ruo's traits. But Ruo is still a spare for Ergo, so if he weren't fed a god, he was fed something similar. One possibility is an angel, but Ruolong is a kanji name with one character derived from dragon, so a dragon is a much more stable option. Dragons are considered to be gods in the orient, but are placed in opposition to gods in the occident, so that fills the bill for "similar enough to a god". Moreover, the Baldanders's handling of Ruo as a non-source of information shows that Ruo's mentor is very worried about Atlas, so Waver suspects that Ruo's dragon is mythologically related to both Ergo's second god and Yakou's Divine Body (Waver still doesn't know they're the same thing), in a way that perfecting Ruo would render the Atlas god pointless. Ruo jokes that his mentor needs to change his glasses. He thinks the old made a mistake in belittling the modern mage and should have killed Waver at the first chance. Before Ruo can break the armistice, Akira wakes up screaming in pain. A black Noh masks forms on her face. Rin and Ergo arrive hearing the screams, but at that point a dark ocean already started forming around her. The dark ocean shoots black ropes that bind Ruo up.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oh, is this actually happening?

- - - Updated - - -

Narrowing it down, I guess. Water and hands, a Greek origin, Buddhist syncretism, related to a dragon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly

US Friend Code
    Is this the end of the volume, Comun?

US Friend Code
    Greco-Buddhism let's goooooooo
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    Narrowing it down, I guess. Water and hands, a Greek origin, Buddhist syncretism, related to a dragon.
    Calling it now, it's
    Spoiler:
    Heracles-Vajrapani-Nio

US Friend Code
    Just with a brief glance at Wikipedia, Suijin->Varuna->Uranus? Not sure where hands come in on those though, but Suijin and Ryujin are closely associated right? So there's the dragon part.
    Last edited by Reign; September 6th, 2021 at 10:03 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Afterword (full translation)
    "Memento mori", a sage said, raising his glass.
    "Carpe diem", a poet sang, in merry dance.
    We'll all sleep in the end. Countless people will become just records.
    But some times the corpses left in history are scarier than the living.
    Because you could say leaving a corpse in history after death is the one way to keep living until the end of times.

-

Thank you for waiting. I'm delivering here the second volume of The Adventures of Lord El-Melloi II.
    As the (part 1) in the subtitle implies, this is a two-parter. And as announced in the end of first volume, it's set in Tokyo, Japan.
    This land gets important so often in the Type-Moon world, I was always imagined "What if El-Melloi II visited Tokyo...". It's an honor to have the chance to write that now.
    Me, a Japanese, having to describe my country from II's and Gray's English point of view gave a unique tension to the story. That's because what's natural to me is mysterious and strange to them, and vice versa.
    This applies not only to everyday experiences, but also to magecraft.
    And naturally, to gods as well.
    Due to how they are filled with multiple connotations, multiple wishes and imaginations, the concept of gods is what best reflects a country's culture. Even if they're all based on the same faith, if they move to another country or region, something will change.
    That's why II and his students are traveling.
    To ascertain which gods Ergo ate. To understand gods with their own eyes and skins.

-

For this story's guest character, I used someone with a very special role in the Type-Moon world, Ryougi (Kokutou) Mikiya.
    His story, Kara no Kyoukai, had such a beautiful ending that I hesitate immensely to appoint him. That said, I couldn't avoid him in a story set in the Tokyo metropolitan area... when I steeled my resolve and called for a meeting, Nasu told me it was okay to involve Mikiya in the world of magecraft. That really comforted my heart (note: this happened before Covid-19 started to spread). He also did a fine-tooth proofreading for Ryougi Mana's dialogue, as she was a character with just one short story worth of content.
    Here's where the story is starting to pick up pace.
    The fates of numerous characters centered around El-Melloi II will ultimately intersect. I hope you can enjoy this moment with me.
    Last but not least, special thanks to Mineji Sakamoto, who delivered beautiful illustrations despite being very busy with other projects; to Kiyomune Miwa, who did the research not only for the magecraft parts, but also about the yakuza and festivals; and to the Type-Moon staff, mainly to my supervisor Kinoko Nasu and editor OKSG.
    And of course, to you reading this book.
    I have volume 5 of Majutsushi no Ao (a The Ancient Magus Bride spin-off manga I write for) to deliver in September, so I'll see you again with the next volume of this probably on the winter.

Makoto Sanda, June 2021, watching Loki on Disney Plus.

P.S.: The production of a special episode of the Case Files of Lord El-Melloi II anime was announced in Aniplex Online Fes 2021. The journey of the Case Files novel series is already over, but as the author, it pleases me to be able to reencounter it in this new format.

US Friend Code
    Makoto Sanda, June 2021, watching Loki on Disney Plus.
    lol

US Friend Code
    Thanks for the summaries, Comun. I'm surprisingly invested in Akira.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Thanks Comun. It'll be a long time before any of us can read them, but you have given us such engaging summaries, Comun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Spoiler:
    Does this mean the Nioh in Musashi's NP is actually Heracles? I guess the one who BTFO'd Chaos in LB6 was Heracles after all.

Thanks for the summaries Comun! I know youíve been busy with TsukiR and FGO mat IX though you still managed to make exceptional summaries. Itís been an interesting read through and through following along.

Personally, I think second god is Buddha. He is the ninth avatar of Vishnu, who has may tales related to sea and water, such as the first avatar Matsya is a fish or the third is giant tortoise Kurma in the event of milk sea. About the hand, easy, Buddha Palm is extremely famous and also be NP of Xuanzang Sanzang. In Greco Buddhism culture, Buddha and Demetrius I of Bactria quite famous. While in Taoism, Buddha is said to be an avatar of Laozi, which explain why Wuzhiqi asked Latio if the Crudelis chose a taoist. Nasu is fond of honji suijaku theory so Japanese version of Buddha can easily explain. The dragon inside Bai Ruolong can be Mahanaga, the monster is shown in LB4, a giant snake/dragon and has wing. Naga race also has strong relation with Buddha. The last but not least is attitude of Wukong, he acts like his younger self when fighting with Heaven. Could be Buddha slowly exists inside Ergo is the reason why he feel uncomfortable.
    Last edited by Misaya; September 7th, 2021 at 02:35 AM.

How is Buddha an "originally Hellenistic deity spread east by Alexander's invasion"?