Page 215 of 287 FirstFirst ... 115165205210213214215216217220225265 ... LastLast
Results 4,281 to 4,300 of 5730

Thread: Lord El-Melloi II Case Files

US Friend Code
    I mean Egypt and Mesopotamia did have a lot of contact, so it's hardly unbelievable. IRL though I don't think any of the Akkadian scorpion-men have shown up in Egyptian art.

Blog Entries
    Ancient Egypt doesn't have Scorpion Men, but they do have Scorpion Women, Serket

- - - Updated - - -

Also see the Seven Scorpion Gods that served as the bodyguard for Isis

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Nanaya's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermitfold View Post
    I think this Sion will eventually end up more like FGO Sion because something is going to happen that will get her to swear off using Etherlite. From what we've seen it's having a deleterious effect on her socialization.
    Probably this. She's more like MB Sion by default but she's still young so has time to get more Zepia'd while Tsuki Sion gets more Tatari'd.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So, the Clock Tower department of archaeology? It's basically researching the past? I guess they can find and use old relics/mystic codes, but how does that translate into magic?

Also Karmaglyph's debuff arrows are the Meluastea magecraft? I was kinda expecting something a bit more, idk, dramatic or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle All fictions's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Is Traditonal Feature the term for the Six Sources' familial brand of alchemy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Punching out some nerd doesn't make you a better magus.

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    So, the Clock Tower department of archaeology? It's basically researching the past? I guess they can find and use old relics/mystic codes, but how does that translate into magic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Clock Tower 2015
    "That is correct. Unlike you, it is decidedly standard archaeology. Locating relics, examining them, and interpreting them in modern terms. Gathering evidence and putting together hypotheses on how things must have been until there is no room for debate. Archaeology is a discipline that accurately reconstructs and brings messages from the past back to life."
    Quote Originally Posted by Clock Tower 2015
    To a magus, deciphering a grimoire was not just a matter of comprehension. It was for recreating a Mystery from eras past, and then redefining its meaning in the current era.It was like translating Shakespeare into modern English.
    If deciphering a page of the grimoire took an hour, then a five-hundred-page tome would take 20 some days. In the research building, there were 500 grimoire awaiting to be read. On average Lev could read about 12 per year. It would take 4 to 5 years to finish reading all the tomes.
    No, if that were the case, it would be a simple matter. Reading grimoire one by one was even easier.
    However, Lev Uvall's duty was not "deciphering a certain grimoire", but "deciphering a System". He must digest all concepts and comprehend all the interrelated phenomena.
    If grimoire A and grimoire B had conflicting views on a certain item, then the content of A must be reviewed.
    The more grimoire he read, the more time he needed to redefine concepts. The number was astronomical.
    This is really our only look at an Archaeology mage in action, I think.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by All fictions View Post
    Is Traditonal Feature the term for the Six Sources' familial brand of alchemy?
    yes
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    When does Gray meet Sakura and become part-all 3 FSN heroines?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    This is ch3's chapter cover, even though Tika didn't really inspect anything during it.

Chapter 3
    The El-Melloi group and the Crudelis group are sharing an Atlas tent in the second layer, which will be everyone's base from now on. Log was still lying down but could raise his torso with bone tentacles to talk. The stimulant Latio injected is the only thing keeping him awake at the moment. Like his daughter, Log also speaks in the third person. He is the official representative of the Crudelis because the actual family head, Log's father, never leaves to the outside world. Waver has two questions. The first is about the reason to split the suspects in two tents. The answer is as expected, to mitigate the possibility of the culprit killing everyone at the same time but also not allow them too much freedom. The second question is about Atlas's goal in the excavation. Karmaglyph is clearly in it for his academic curiosity, but Atlas is currently excavating a library with past research data when it's practically a duty for them not to know what's going on in the lab next door. Waver questions if the excavation was authorized by Atlas. After a shoddy attempt to deflect with commentary about Waver's character, Log finally starts explaining. He's a superior instructor, so he has the right to take the submarine and the other tools out without any inspection. They can't disclose their personal research, but prying into other people's research without permission is technically not illegal, which is why the Ishtario duo agreed to join. The Clock Tower has its Sealing Designation enforcers on duty, but Atlas has no such force, they just assign anyone available, most often someone not affiliated with the Institute. This generates a procedural delay. Log, Latio, Giuseppe, and Quart are trying to exploit that and take what they need to fulfill their respective research before a proper inspection says they can't. Having learned that, Waver thinks the most likely culprit is either an Atlas spy trying to punish the loophole abusers or one of the 3 Clock Tower mages hired by a dissatisfied Atlas member to do the job. Waver then asks Ptolemy about the guardian. It indeed belonged centrally to the third layer, but the second layer is still part of its patrol route so the attack could have been a coincidence. It's extremely unlikely the culprit lured the guardian there to attack Log since just stealing the key doesn't give them any control. Still, just pointing fingers would only get them killed with time. The El-Melloi and Crudelis then start planning a trap for the culprit.

After Log is recovered enough to walk with a bone cane, the operation proceeds to the next stage. Log had already unlocked the door to the third layer while he was trapped, and now their infiltration team should proceed to map the new area. After that, the intervention team should open the way to the fourth layer. There they would connect to the control room, retrieve the necessary information straight from the server, security key be damned, then book it. The Meluastea and Ishtario were handling the infiltration part since Karmaglyph was the most well-equipped to deal with the guardians' threat and the Ishtario could support with their Atlas-specific knowledge and useful abilities. The Crudelis and El-Melloi would leave the second layer and regroup for the next step after they were done mapping the first layer.

This was a lie. In reality, only Reines and Log will be waiting on the first layer, while Waver, Gray, and Latio would also infiltrate the third layer, setting a trap only the person with the security key would be able to notice. It's clear that the thief's goal is to hinder the excavation, so with the teams being split, they would just hinder one side. And since Latio and Log are the only suspects who know the plan, they can't take counter-measures because that would expose them as the culprit. The thoroughness of Waver's plan reminds Ptolemy of Eumenes, so the two discuss a bit about Eumenes's personality and Iskandar's modern-day fame. Ptolemy is strangely disheartened to learn that his dumb brat went down as one of the greatest kings in history.

The third layer also uses the second layer's crystal pillars as recording media, but here the pillars have grown roots, branches, and flowers for self-defense. Every pillar is protected by its independent decision-making ability, which can override decisions from the central command. Karmaglyph makes a lot of very direct questions about the mechanisms here, and when it starts getting uncomfortable for Giuseppe, Tika explains her boss letting his curiosity get the best of him and running away when it becomes a problem is a recurring issue, although an issue she's willing to paint in a positive light if she gets a 30% salary raise. Giuseppe mentions circumstantial evidence of two previous visits to the Library but believes the previous visitors couldn't read anything thanks to bookshelves' AIs having authority over the then-active security key. One of the previous visits is seemingly by a graverobber group with a history of retrieving lost Atlas property from the outside world. And the other was by Cipher. Checks out with how Cipher was the number one student of his generation, much like Sion is for the generation after his. Quart doubts how much Cipher could have done on his own when the team is struggling this much, but Giuseppe firmly believes Cipher could have reached the fourth layer solo. As for the mapping work they were supposed to do, Quart's Moleculeface leaves a colored trail indicating the path they walked. Further up, the team walks into Ionioi Hetaroi and quickly proves themselves severely outmatched by Iskandar's army, but Karmaglyph understood what the Memory Weapon was about and dispelled with dozens of arrows fired at where the nearest pillar's flower was located in the real world.

Later, Gray's team enters the third layer, finds the other group's track, and goes in the opposite direction. Latio apologizes because she's in the case for personal reasons. She's here to find the truth about her brother's death. Since Cipher died, her grandfather lost his will to get involved with the outside, naming Log as the family representative and becoming a lifeless cog to his research. Meanwhile, Latio was named successor and inherited Cipher's Ergo research. Latio's knowledge about the library's mechanisms also comes from him. Waver asks if Karmaglyph ever met Cipher, because it's possible Cipher created the culprit's key to the fourth layer. If Cipher was killed, the thief could be his killer, depending on how far he got and how much the killer learned from his research. For unexplained reasons, Add is able to sense the right path in the crystal tree maze, so the group decides to follow his lead.

Sion drives Ergo to the desert on a buggy. They pass through a permanent sandstorm set to hide a secret entrance to the library. Like the Atlas Institute entrance, it's a normal-looking cavern with space distortions inside. Sion wasn't completely trusting her collaborator's intel until she saw the entrance for herself. The secret entrances were made and used for the constructors' convenience then closed down when the library was finished, but this one was reconstructed by the graverobber group. The sandstorm was also set up by the graverobbers to stop other graverobbers from stealing their route. Sion's collaborator told her they had no available means to open the gate, but the gate opened on its when it recognized Ergo. When discussing Ergo as a trump card last chapter, she was being literal about Set being potentially her key to the library.

Immediately past the the gate, there was a falling rock trap. Sion held the rock mid-air with her Etherlite and Rin took this chance to shoot a Gandr. Rin gets past Ergo and closes in on Sion. Ergo tries to explain that he's not being controlled, convincing Rin that he's being controlled into saying that. Sion tries to connect her Etherlite on Rin but can't because of the wind magecraft blowing it away. Sion doesn't understand how Rin is doing this wind in parallel when she's clearly still in Gandr mode. It's because Rin has 3 sets of Magic Circuits. 1 main and 2 subs. The main is shooting Gandr, one sub is doing defensive magecraft with wind, and the other sub using earth to raise rocks on Sion's back. To learn her new techniques from volume 3, she had to learn to distribute the five elements among her sets of circuits, which is what she's exploiting now. Rin hits Sion with a fully charged point-blank Gandr, causing her to dissipate into strings because she was actually an Etherlite Replicant made to deal with traps at the entrance while the real Sion was hiding at a safe distance. Rin and real Sion are ready go all out, but Ergo puts on his mask for Mode Set and turns the whole area into sand except a meter diameter around Sion because he's still locked into not attacking her. While Rin is restrained by the sandstorm, Ergo convinces her he's not being controlled and that the two have no reason to fight.

Rin is caught up on the whole situation offscreen, and Rin and Sion do some tag-team badmouthing of Ergo's goody-two-shoes mediator tendencies and lack of pragmatism. But the girls weren't trying to kill each other anyways. Rin wanted to Sion alive to spill all the information she could offer, while the much more kind and generous Sion was simply willing the let Rin get away with a just a lost arm. Regardless, now the three are helping the search for the Atlas traitor because Ergo needs to learn about himself even if that becomes a problem for Waver. Sion asks if they're helping her because it's what Waver would do, but they assure her that Waver wouldn't help her, he would instead find a better solution that would most likely upset her. Sion is bothered by the mixed messages on whether or not she'll want to meet Waver, but either way, the trio made their decision and crossed the gate to the library.
    Last edited by Comun; September 11th, 2022 at 12:17 AM.

US Friend Code
    Oh Latio's not the Crudelis head, this whole time I thought she was.

And hey is this finally our first explanation for sub-circuits?

And I guess Ergo's Set mask wasn't a one time thing, he needs it every time he wants to use Set's stuff.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Ergo's mask is still that white mask, it only changes to Set's face (or Wukong's, although he never did that yet) when he activates it.

Blog Entries
    >sandstorm picture

I suppose Ergo is supposed to be bent over or something here, but his torso looks really weird
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?

Blog Entries
    It's hard to tell because it's just a summary but, I feel like this volume severely lowered my expectation of Atlas Institute's competency.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, "They walked into Ionian Hetairoi" - what?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    If you wanna be super technical about it, the Memory Weapon draws from Ptolemy's memory of Iskandar conquering Egypt, but for all intents and effects, the scene described in this fight is simply "Ionioi Hetairoi, except Faker is there too".

- - - Updated - - -

And in my personal opinion, the part about Log banking everything on law technicalities does make every party involved look stupid.

Blog Entries
    Log: It will take time for Atlas to respond properly and what I'm doing isn't technically against the rules

Sion: You sure about that

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sione View Post
    It's hard to tell because it's just a summary but, I feel like this volume severely lowered my expectation of Atlas Institute's competency.
    seems pretty standard for the mages' organization from where i'm sitting

Magi have to simultnaiously be super smart and fucking morons for plots to work please understand.

Keep in mind how moronic modern day corporations can be, magi don't exactly have a monopoly on this kind of stuff. When people gather together in large numbers, they have a tendency to get stupid.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Base View Post
    Keep in mind how moronic modern day corporations can be, magi don't exactly have a monopoly on this kind of stuff. When people gather together in large numbers, they have a tendency to get stupid.
    Looking for New Age-r magi to join a nimble, agile, mission-guided, socially responsible startup magical association to disrupt the current western magecraft status quo.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post
    Magi have to simultnaiously be super smart and fucking morons for plots to work please understand.
    Then real life must be a plot considering how many smart, yet stupid people there are.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Chapter 4
    Gray's party passed by a lot of different guardians, but without being found by any. Add guided them to a separate zone, guarded by 5 stationary guardians, meaning they couldn't rely on the stealth that got them this far. Latio makes a bone parabolic antenna so Ptolomy can shoot false data into the guardians' sensors. Past them, there was a pitch-black room where all the bookshelves were dead. Ptolemy asked how did Add know the way, but Gray couldn't comment about a Logos React replica in front of an Atlas alchemist. By the way, Gray already pieced together by this point that Rhongomyniad Mythos wasn't any miracle, it was her Logos React creating a function that Rhongomyniad didn't have before. Using Ptolemy as a weak makeshift flashlight, they see that the wall paintings depicted 5 Divine Bodies, and the pod used to store Ergo until volume 1. 3 Divine Bodies were surrounding Ergo's pod, so that part was easy to interpret as the 3 gods Ergo ate. The fourth Divine Body was far below it next to the ground, and the fifth was in the opposite wall. Latio tries to read all paintings at once with bone cables on a gauntlet, but the pictures were partially encrypted by Cipher. No one has any guess what the wall could mean yet, but Waver motivates Latio to inspect the walls harder by telling her that Cipher solved the mystery. While she's feeling the room with her bone cables, Ptolemy notices a flock of guardians coming in their direction.

After 3 hours of mapping, Karmaglyph's group noticed that the distance they walked is theoretically bigger than the size of the third layer. They haven't run into any guardians yet because Tika was using the night vision binocular ability of her glasses to see their patrol routes before the group was any close to them. And now she noticed a bunch of guardians leaving their routes. The crystalline lens of the eyes is part of the body's outer layer, so Quart can use Moleculeface there to double-check. The guardians were indeed in a stampede, crushing the crystals along the way even though their mission was to protect them.

Back to Gray's perspective, she confirms the 10+ guardians rushing to her, trampling even the other guardians who tried to defend the crystals from the metaphorical locust swarm. Waver suggests retreating, but Latio refuses to move an inch before she learns about Cipher. In volume 1, Latio reinforced her whole ship and commanded a huge amount of familiars, but that was something that took years to make, so she can't do it again now. Gray and Tangere have to hold back the approaching stampede on their own. Latio deciphers the fourth god. It's a god brought to cancel the experiment if necessary. A god that can return Ergo's three gods to nature. The fighting situation is somewhat dire. Tangere can kill three guardians with one bear hug, but that takes a decent while and he's supposed to just tank the rest of the swarm while he does it. Not a viable long-term strategy. Gray also can't shoot Rhon underwater because that would just drown them all. Latio overloads her Accelerated Thoughts to get the processing done faster. Gray can hear the rupturing noises coming from her skull, and also see her tears of blood and the cracks opening in her gauntlet. Before things get out of hand, Waver orients Latio to reallocate Thought Partitions into self-preservation. Now that she's not dying, the inspection picks up its rhythm again and Latio unlocks a hologram of Ergo wearing an ancient outfit. Ptolomy reacts with shock to learning what Ergo looks like.