Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2328313233343538 ... LastLast

Thread: Boku no Hero Academia

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Really? I feel the story is really picking up, and it definitely reflects the mood of 2021. MHA has been getting better and better, and this arc didn't drag the way Overhaul's did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I was totally fine with the arc until AFO came up. Everything in the mindscape was awful and him actually taking over Shigaraki goes against so much that has been built up to this point that I don't even know where he wants to take this shit now.

No to mention that writing quality has taken a nosedive as well, the chapter with Compress was so bizarre, acting like it was paying off things that were never set-up in the first place. The last one with the despairing heroes was pretty good and gave me a modicum of hope, but then this chapter is back to the trash with the cheap and forced attempt at paralleling AFO with Deku when we already had a perfectly good parallel going on with Shigaraki.

Not to mention he keeps mentioning unnecessary stuff that just keeps weakening the logic of the work for no reason. This chapter for example: he felt the need to mention that they can't execute Machia because using missiles would be anti-ethical. What the fuck? We literally drugged him some hours ago, if capital punishment is on the table they'd just give him a lethal dose.
    If you really want to justify to the reader why Machia isn't being killed then just say the process is still underway, he was just caught, it's not unbelievable that they'd have to wait a bit before the execution.
    Or just don't mention it at all, that's even easier.
    Last edited by pinetree; January 18th, 2021 at 10:57 PM.

I personally think AfO doing what he did was perfectly in character for what we knew of the man, and him truly handing the reins to Shigs would have been MORE out of character and a bit of a letdown. Besides, Shigs is still a bad guy on his own, so he's still an opponent, even if AfO is also one. In addition, was AfO being paralleled with Deku? I saw none of that, only that he was embracing the words his brother threw at him over a century ago about being a Demon Lord. Also, I don't think that throwaway line weakens any worldbuilding. Then again, opinions.

- - - Updated - - -

I will also admit to liking the more supernatural aspects of Quirks that AfO's appearances have illuminated. Fights in vestige worlds are among my favorite parts of anime.
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    I personally think AfO doing what he did was perfectly in character for what we knew of the man, and him truly handing the reins to Shigs would have been MORE out of character and a bit of a letdown.
    Regardless of AFO's actual intentions, if he actually succeeds then Horikoshi just undermined almost every chapter we spent with Shigaraki and the league so far. What's the point of League of Villains now? An entire arc that ended with Shigaraki coming up as a villain of his own, literally throwing aside the weight of his family and AFO over him.
    All so that same weight could be used as a catalyst for AFO to take him over anyway.

Besides, Shigs is still a bad guy on his own, so he's still an opponent, even if AfO is also one.
    He really isn't. Ever since they met in the mindscape Shigaraki has been framed as a victim of AFO, culminating in Deku's desire to save him. His standing as the main villain is gone.

In addition, was AfO being paralleled with Deku? I saw none of that
    I mean... really?

Also, I don't think that throwaway line weakens any worldbuilding.
    You can call it a throwaway line but it's still something that happened.
    Even if it was, it's not the only instance of it happening.

- - - Updated - - -

I will also admit to liking the more supernatural aspects of Quirks that AfO's appearances have illuminated. Fights in vestige worlds are among my favorite parts of anime.
    The mindscape itself isn't a problem, Shigaraki's hand-land before it was great. It's what happened inside that was bad.

Deli also fully acknowledges Shigaraki's nastiness, yet still sympathizes with his plight. Moreover, Shigaraki is still fighting for control, so it's hardly an open and shut case. Besides, All for One saying he is going to become the world's greatest villain is nothing new. We learned that at least 70 chapters ago. Moreover, them not killing Machia is perfectly in line with their other actions, given that most of the PLA upper staff and soldiers at the villa were also taken prisoner despite their security risk. Also, considering edited footage of Hawks killing Twice was just leaked and caused outrage, it makes sense that the Public Safety Commission would play it safe and not carpet bomb a guy, even if it's stupid.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Shiggydiggy's a meme, AFO's a ham, art's pretty, I'm not very engaged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Deli also fully acknowledges Shigaraki's nastiness, yet still sympathizes with his plight.
    Sure but that doesn't really address what I said about him being framed as a victim.

Moreover, Shigaraki is still fighting for control, so it's hardly an open and shut case.
    If he turns AFO to dust soon, I'll have no complaints. If it takes a while then it's padding the story with a specially bad twist.
    Regardless, I doubt that'll happen considering how this whole thing has been framed. I'd be very surprised.

Besides, All for One saying he is going to become the world's greatest villain is nothing new. We learned that at least 70 chapters ago.
    Again, not my point. My mention of AFO's cringy declaration as an example of bad writing was due to how Hori wrote in the exact same line as the one from the start of the series, forcing a clumsy parallel between the two characters right after he threw the other, much more natural, hero/villain parallel in the trash.

And if you want to talk about villain motivations that's another thing that is bad about this. Shigaraki and the league had a lot of clumsy writing around them, but at least their motivation was deeply rooted in Shigaraki's past and the flaws of hero society, a theme that is approached throught all the narrative.
    Meanwhile, AFO wants to be bad because he likes it. Very interesting.

Moreover, them not killing Machia is perfectly in line with their other actions, given that most of the PLA upper staff and soldiers at the villa were also taken prisoner despite their security risk.
    But that's part of why this is illogical. If the death sentence exists, many of the imprisoned villains should be dead already, and the fact that they are not makes the reader question how convenient it is that they've all just been neatly packed away so that AFO can get them now.
    If it doesn't... wel that just can't be. It does. Machia rules this possibility out.
    If it does and they are just not able to carry it out against these specific villains, then it's very hard to imagine why. Even more so when the manga goes ahead and provides the reason for one of the whys with Machia, but it's not a satisfactory answer, so there's no reason to trust there's one for the others.

Also, considering edited footage of Hawks killing Twice was just leaked and caused outrage, it makes sense that the Public Safety Commission would play it safe and not carpet bomb a guy, even if it's stupid.
    That's a pretty weak excuse. I have a really hard time believing that the public would actually be enraged considering what the League has done and also the fact that Jeanists arrival throws the whole thing into question. Though I do think they'll be enraged anyway just because that's what Horikoshi has been leading to with Hawks.
    Regardless of how I feel about it, if the public reacts that way, this would've been a valid explanation, but it was not the one they used so it doesn't really matter.
    Last edited by pinetree; January 18th, 2021 at 11:48 PM.

To be perfectly honest, I never liked Shigaraki much on his own merits, and I find him infinitely more interesting for his heritage and as a pawn of All for One, who I feel has more gravitas by virtue of being the DIO/Dio Brando of his setting. Also, AfO is entertaining in his sociopathy and fake apathy, while Shigs was and always will be a mentally unstable brat who only got where he did because AfO found it entertaining.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    I was totally fine with the arc until AFO came up. Everything in the mindscape was awful and him actually taking over Shigaraki goes against so much that has been built up to this point that I don't even know where he wants to take this shit now.
    But it ties in with the themes of the story as a whole, about passing the torch. The Good Guys find new pasionate people to bear their ideal into the future because they know they won't last. The Bad Guys make lip service to doing it, but in reality don't want to give up power at all and will stomp over the new generation they're suppose to raise up to do so.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Exactly, and this also ties into how AfO is all about taking, even when he's seemingly giving.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    All for One's thing being that he absolutely will not hand over his power and position to anyone else is a nice contrast to his brother, at least

it's your turn/it's my turn and all that
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Superficially, having that contrast works, but when you consider how much time was spent on both sides of the new generation developing, that falls apart. He made all of that work irrelevant.

Sure, All for One instead of One for All, makes total sense, but that's happening now. He's been doing the other things for hundreds of chapters and I was invested in that, so I really don't care for the sudden change.

It's just not a good twist. There was no work done to develop the story from one point to the other, it just happened. It doesn't change the status quo for the villains, it just erases the previous one and writes in the new one that is vastly less interesting, specially due to how disconnected it is from the major theme that has been set-up so far (flaws of the hero society).

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Wonder how busted up Deku'll be once he wakes up.
    canon finish apo vol 3

I'm just wondering how ReDestro could seemingly be in 2 places at once.

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Twice cloned him.
    canon finish apo vol 3

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Wonder how busted up Deku'll be once he wakes up.
    Probably fine. At this point I'm almost certain there'll be a timeskip and he'll only wake up after it.
    That's plenty of time for Eri to fix his arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Twice cloned him.
    Forgot about that possibility.

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    Probably fine. At this point I'm almost certain there'll be a timeskip and he'll only wake up after it.
    That's plenty of time for Eri to fix his arms.
    Oh right, Eri. Kind of a pity her Rewind doesn't rewind away memories too.
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    In which society continues to crumble.

LMAO at the end, though. "Get up bitch, you don't get to break yet."
    canon finish apo vol 3

Yeah, the end was kinda funny, and I like how Horikoshi addressed the lack of training on the part of civilians leading to greater destruction and casualties.