Page 261 of 301 FirstFirst ... 161211251256259260261262263266271 ... LastLast
Results 5,201 to 5,220 of 6001

Thread: So I've been playing this recently...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    And the ZWEIHANDER!!!1! bestweaponinthegamedont@me
    It's been meme'd to hell and back, but the Zweihander is a legit great weapon. Good range, knockdown, and power for a weapon that can be obtained very early and takes relatively little stat investment.

It's no Baemore, though.
    Spoiler:
    Originally Posted by You
    when all the evils have given up their waifus, all the greats have left for med school, and there are no more at least 3 day battles to be fought what is left is

not Tsukihime 2
    not DDD3
    not even Girl's Work

but f/go

and now f/go english

that is what is waiting for you at the end of schadenfreude

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I did get zwei on my first venture around that cemetery but sadly it needs too much STR.

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    It's been meme'd to hell and back, but the Zweihander is a legit great weapon. Good range, knockdown, and power for a weapon that can be obtained very early and takes relatively little stat investment.

It's no Baemore, though.
    It's also the most casual weapon in the game, and has led thousands of people to think they're good at Dark Souls because they watched an OnlyAfro video once.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Soo any recommendation for hack and slash dungeon crawling game like Torchlight? Kinda want to play Path of Exile but are there anything else?
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    It's also the most casual weapon in the game, and has led thousands of people to think they're good at Dark Souls because they watched an OnlyAfro video once.
    I'll have you know I came up with the noobiest build of Havel/Tarkus armor mix, Zweihander and Grass Crest Shield all on my own. Only thing looking at builds changed was adding ROFP so I didn't fatroll all over the place.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering Swordwoman View Post
    Soo any recommendation for hack and slash dungeon crawling game like Torchlight? Kinda want to play Path of Exile but are there anything else?
    Silverfall was fun.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    I'll have you know I came up with the noobiest build of Havel/Tarkus armor mix, Zweihander and Grass Crest Shield all on my own. Only thing looking at builds changed was adding ROFP so I didn't fatroll all over the place.
    If you're wearing Havel & Tarkus gear, you're a beauty, and I have no quarrel.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Blog Entries
    get a room

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So, I've never played a Souls game, so I may be super off about this, but I never got the appeal of making a character based entirely around a single weapon, when the game locks weapons behind progression. If you do a run with starter gear that's one thing, but making a build solely for a weapon you only get 80% of the way through a game (because the best weapons are always at the end) seems like it misses the point of trying to do a run with that weapon as the main. Unless you go in with NG+ but by that point you've already leveled so much there's no real sense of accomplishment.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    in general thats only the issue with a handful of weapons
    due to general non-linearity of the games a skilled player will be able to traverse much of the game with little issue to obtain the desired item very early
    also the premise of the best weapons = latest weapons is entirely false for the souls games

the dark souls 1 is a good example, zweihander and claymore - the two most common weapons shilled for new players are very early in the game, and they are easily accessible for new players
    they also happen to be one of the most optimal weapons by every metric of the game
    but there is also much cooler ravelord sword that only veteran player can obtain because it requires a knowledge of how to get into lategame area and return from it - all in 5 minutes walk from the main hub

the only weapons that are truly locked behind progression are weapons in completely inaccessible areas and boss weapons

naturally the entire thing hinges upon how well non-linearity is implemented in each particular game

- - - Updated - - -

oh and naturally items can be exchanged online, nothing stops your friend giving you lategame weapon in the very beginning of the game
    jolly cooperation and all that

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    So, I've never played a Souls game, so I may be super off about this, but I never got the appeal of making a character based entirely around a single weapon, when the game locks weapons behind progression. If you do a run with starter gear that's one thing, but making a build solely for a weapon you only get 80% of the way through a game (because the best weapons are always at the end) seems like it misses the point of trying to do a run with that weapon as the main. Unless you go in with NG+ but by that point you've already leveled so much there's no real sense of accomplishment.
    The reason why people plan around equipment is because it allows you to min/max your stats, weight, and poise to the decimal point. This does not mean that you're stuck using your fists until you arrive to the point where you are able to obtain the weapon you intend to use. Say I'm planning on making a character built around Velka's Rapier, that doesn't mean I can't do anything until I make it to the Painted World. I can easily use the Estoc in the meantime. People just do it because they want to squeeze out every last bit of optimization out of their character.

It's also largely a moot point because veteran PvPers just Cheat Engine their entire builds right from the jump so they'll already have everything they want anyway. Approve of it or not, that's just the way it goes. Not like Souls PvP is really that relevant anymore but that's just a quick rundown.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    I never got the appeal of making a character based entirely around a single weapon
    I think like that too!

Which is why I curse myself by grabbing every possible weapon that can be used with the build I'm going for, on almost every run. My Strength characters' inventories always look like the headquarters of Overcompensators Anonymous.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Wholeheartedly agree, I never "get it" when people do that in other RPG's, but like Aozaki said you can pretty much run in and grab whatever weapon you wanted in the first hour of the game. Plus, in DS, you don't really use weapons for their stats but rather for their movesets. So if you're set on using e.g. Quelaag's Furysword (boss weapon from midway into the game) you'd just use the regular Longsword or the Black Knight Sword until you got there. There's no (or at least very little) "upwards mobility" when it comes to weapons like other JRPGs where you need to swap for a better one every couple levels, even the Broken Sword you start the game with can be endgame material if you upgrade it enough. And due to the skill-based nature of the game people can and have beaten it naked regardless.
    shit BL says

It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    ladies, he's single

Don't really see the parallels between a Furysword and a Black Knight Sword, but okay

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Now that I've finished FF7R I need to decide what to play next, and this conversation makes me want to crack open that Bloodbourne that's been sitting on my dashboard for the last two years.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendant View Post
    Don't really see the parallels between a Furysword and a Black Knight Sword, but okay
    Aren't they all one-handed swords? I might've confused something with something else, it's been a while.
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

Aren't they all one-handed swords? I might've confused something with something else, it's been a while.
    They are (although many people prefer the BKS's two-handed moveset over its one-handed one, though this is beside the point) but the BKS is Strength scaling weapon with a high Strength requirement (14 just to two-hand) and the Furysword is a DEX scaling weapon. These are two weapons which probably wouldn't fit on the same character.

JP Friend Code
    All this DS weapon talk reminded me of my love of the DS1 Halberd & disappointed on its tweaks in DS2. I've yet to play DS3 (ended up burnt out on DS2) still & don't know how good/bad its version is.

Blog Entries
    they arent ds1 levels of op if thats what you are looking for
    ds3 is r1 spam game for a reason

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Rue View Post
    All this DS weapon talk reminded me of my love of the DS1 Halberd & disappointed on its tweaks in DS2. I've yet to play DS3 (ended up burnt out on DS2) still & don't know how good/bad its version is.
    DS3 is literally just DS1 but with less thought and consideration. Rolls basically cost zero stamina and can be spammed, weapon swings basically cost zero stamina and can be spammed (as long as they aren't heavy weapons, heavier weapons got a little bit shafted in the much faster game), Estus is easier to get off, and all the while PvE has more ways to punish you for spamming dodge rolls or tossing back estus, while PvP has a lot less.

But yeah, it isn't as unbalanced as DS1, mostly thanks to getting rid of DS1 poise, thank fuck.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Huh. Would you say DS 3 is more like a standard action game, then, eddyak? I'm thinking something like DMC, MGR, God Hand, Chaos Legion, etc.