Page 1 of 297 12361151101 ... LastLast

Thread: So I've been playing this recently...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code

So I've been playing this recently...

Just thought I'd start this up- Tell us what you've been playing, what it's like, if it's any good, and why. Simples.

Payday 2.

Fun as heck first person shooter. You're one of four career criminals (coop is highly recommended, as is having three friends who're good enough that they can be trusted to be left alone to do their separate jobs), and you knock over banks, steal drugs, priceless artifacts, gold and paintings, shoot it out with massive (god-fuckingly horrific in higher difficulties) waves of enemies. Apparently the police in this game don't give a shit about their own lives, or the lives of apparently every police officer, SWAT unit, et cetera within three countries, and they'll send all of them at you to stop you knocking over a bank where little old ladies store loose change and the occasional wad of cash.

AI is pretty bad. Games designers need to start bloody learning that a higher difficulty =/= LOL MORE HP AND DAMAGE ON BOSSES, KAY, THAT'S IT, WE'RE DONE FOR THE DAY, FOLKS, GO HOME. Get a decent goddamn programmer on this shit, it won't cost you as much as idiots designing pretty skyboxes.

Mechanics need work- they're rigid and inflexible. You can't close doors behind you after you've opened them, stealth is iffy at the best of times- some guys literally can't see you if you're crouched two or three meters in front of them, whereas some guys will instantly spot you, through floors or walls, whether you're close to them or not. Everybody can see loot bags or corpses at infinite range, meaning you're got to exploit AI (and break immersion) if you've got to hide a body quickly, or you can just pick up the goddamn thing, and they won' see it any more. Apparently a sports bag sitting on the floor is cause for instant alarm, but a guy lugging a corpse over his shoulder isn't.

But the game is fun as heck. Nothing beats the feeling of steathing a bank job- everybody on the team doing their part, and doing it all perfectly- disabling the tellers, cameras and guards, tricking the security company into not sending guys around, sawing or lockpicking open all of the safety deposit boxes, loading masses and masses of cash and gold onto a skyhook, then having a plane fly over and snatch it up, then getting the hell to your van and getting gone before the civilians who stroll by can call the police.

tl;dr: Get this if you want to be knocked out by a Sam Fisher who's apparently devoured Bruce Lee for his kung fu skills.

Wings of Vi.
    HHHHRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHLLLLLRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHKKKKKKKKK

Rage-inducing platformer. You play as an angel, who, along with a friend, have just released a demon lord or some such from his prison in heaven.

Okay combat so far, though the controls are bloody awkward. I want to meet the guy who thought these controls were a good idea, so I can smack him round the back of the head and ask what the hell he was thinking. The jump button goes on the same goddamn pad the rest of the movement keys are on. Use a different fucking button for interacting with doors and people. I do not want to have to take my finger off the murder things button to jump, and I do not want to walk through a freaking door when I'm trying to aim my murderstick upward.

I'm generally not a fan of this kind of game- I like combat platformers, just not when they're a) More platformer than combat (negotiating through gaps millimeters larger than your character, ugh), b) Clearly designed for the obsessive compulsives who memorise the pixel-perfect arrangements of Touhou and speedrun games with microsecond timing, and c) Designed to be beaten through endless repetition rather than skill- and that isn't an unfair assessment. Trial and error is 100% required to succeed in this game. There will be nobody on the planet who does not die several hundred times throughout their first playthrough.

I wish I could say the game itself was fun, but the only really enjoyable thing about it is pulling off a pattern, breaking through the enemies you've memorised through countless deaths, and finally punching out that goddamned floating diglett that's been tossing fireballs at you for the last twenty minutes. I wish I could say I've gotten far enough into the game to comment on more than just that, but I don't think I'll play much more unless I feel like I hate myself just that much on any particular day.

tl;dr: Get this game if you're a speedrunner, or possibly an android with perfect muscle memory.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die.
    Third person action RPG, dark medieval fantasy. You'll probably know this one already. Nasu's big timesink, what he's spent the last few should-be-working-on-something-new-not-milking-old-franchises years on.

I understand him.

The game's hard, but in an entirely different way to the other two. It takes you and puts you in an unfamiliar situation, an unfamiliar environment, then shrugs and leaves you to it. There's no minimap, no glowing beacons to tell you where to go, no quest objectives or markers. From the start, you're given only the vaguest directions- the opening scene gives you just the world, and then tells you you're meant to... do something. Then some guy appears, gives you a set of keys to get out of your predicament, is also vague, and then shrugs, dies and leaves you to it. You go up against enemies that are in pretty much the same state as you- easily killed, not knowing what the hell they're doing, and then you come up against- again- that unfamiliar situation. Suddenly, boss. You get fucked until you learn the way to go, the way to beat it.

And that repeats.

Again and again.

Everywhere you go, everything is just that little bit tougher, or faster, stronger, or just plain weirder. It's never unfair, though- every death is your own fault, and you know that. You get better equipped, stronger- but you'll never win just mashing the attack button. Everything out there is just as tough as you are, and even after you've levelled up, trudged through some of the worst areas the game has to offer, going back to the beginning is still dangerous. If you ignore a bunch of walking corpses just because you're a hundred levels stronger than the last time you fought them, they're going to trap you against a wall and take turns gouging pieces out of your now-so-much-bigger-but-still-not-invincible health bar.

It isn't turn based. It isn't a Hack & Slash. It isn't cheap, and you can't swing a sword and cut down two hundred guys without breaking a sweat or taking a jot of damage. It's just you, and your weapon, and your opponent, and his weapon, and that's the only way it should be.

This is the best game ever, in my opinion. The spellcasting & bowmanship is pretty iffy, and no matter how much strength you pump, your character's still going to throw fireballs like a muscle-atrophied eight year old who hasn't left her couch in nine years, and the PvP scene is pretty horrendous at times, but the game itself, while flawed, is still amazing.

The sequel's nowhere near as good, "campaign"-wise, but if you like PvP, hundreds of weapons, armour and magic combinations, and the occasional hopeless three-on-one, get Dark Souls II.

tl;dr: Get this if you want to die over and over, read frustratingly vague and badly translated item texts, roam a dismal, desolate, beautiful, ridiculous land, murder hundreds of odd people and slightly less odd creatures, wear cool outfits and swing swird and wonderful weapons. If you see a man with a Zwiehander and a man with a bronze mask, turn off your console.

It should be coming off Games for Windows Live and to Steam, where it should've been all this time, sometime this month.

You guys go now.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I got Smash Bros 3DS.

I like Kirby.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Pokemon ORAS. Sapphire was my first entry to the series, and this was basically non-stop nostalgia, in waves.

Far Cry 3. It's fun. I once cleared an outpost in a single gunslinger takedown and that was the most amazing feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    I got Smash Bros 3DS.

I like Kirby.
    o7

- - - Updated - - -

if only they buffed his air speed
    Last edited by Kirby; December 14th, 2014 at 11:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Well, damn it, now I feel stupid for going all in depth.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I don't write long sentences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Chasing After that Elusive Dream Heroslayer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Payday 2

Ditto on everything eddyak said. New heist is supposed to show up on Tuesday I think.

Disgaea D2

The Disgaea games are always good for a laugh. They're fun games and it's always funny to watch your character do ridiculous amounts of damage. I'm not quite devoted enough to go for the ridiculous post game stuff, so I feel like I'm missing some of the experience, but I tend to stop around level 2000 for a single character and like 500 for the rest.

Starcraft II Heart of the Swarm

Well, I've been playing multiplayer with only Wings of Liberty with some friends since you don't need the expansion (?) to do that, but I finally bought this on Black Friday and I'm going to be going through it soonish. Oh god, my friend likes trolling us too much. So many battle cruisers.

Tales of Xillia 2

Also bought on Black Friday, going through this after I'm done with Disgaea. Played the first one, had a good time, hoping this one is as good or better.

Oh and Pokemon Omega Ruby, because Pokemon.

Banned
    Ace's Wild, it's a 2D character action game on steam. Fun but fucking hard. I also dipped my toes into World End Economica Episode 1, a VN by Spice and Wolf's author about stock market and real estate shenanigans on the moon. Seems neat.

マリーの味方
    The Telltale Game of Thrones game. First time playing a Telltale game and it's pretty cool, if I ignore how fanfictiony the entire thing feels.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodyle View Post
    I also dipped my toes into World End Economica Episode 1, a VN by Spice and Wolf's author about stock market and real estate shenanigans on the moon. Seems neat.
    Pls post your thoughts after you're done. I liked it quite a bit, but I rarely see anybody talk about it.

Blog Entries
    I think the last time I played a video game for any appreciable amount of time was Dark Souls 2 before the first DLC came out, whenever that was.

Banned
    The DLC are all better than the base game levels. I guess you could wait for Scholars of the First Sin though.

Devil Survivor Overclocked
    I talked about this a bit in the SMT thread. I finished the Naoya route (and it's 8th Day). I've never been one for SPRGs specifically, but I got pretty into this one. As far as gameplay goes, it's a little simplistic compared to other SMT games, but the story brought it real hard. Not as good as the main series, but probably my favorite spin-off in the Megaten franchise.

Dragon Age Inquisition
    Slowly going through my second playthrough and playing some multiplayer rounds every now and then. I think everyone here kind of knows what this is about as it's been hard to escape it. So instead I'll just say that those with doubts about the multiplayer should actually try it out. Quick semi-randomized runs with three other players, get gold and loot, use gold to buy more loot, unlock weapons, armor, and additional characters to play as. It's the unlockables that drive it, and if the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer was any indication, they're going to be supporting it for at least a year with consistent free content updates.

Project Diva F 2nd
    Best song selection of the series yet, even if the best ones are all just pulled from the second and third game of the original PSP series. Finished all the songs on Hard, slowly trying to beat them on Extreme.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Been mostly replaying the Sly Cooper games recently. First one is pretty easy for most of the game, but then the final stage suddenly spikes the difficulty way up. The second one is probably the best overall, but I haven't gotten far enough yet to remind myself if there are any difficulty spikes. Finding all the clue bottles is pretty tedious and not very rewarding.
    JP Support

Spoiler:

US Support
    Spoiler:

I don't remember there being any difficulty spikes in 2. Though I did get tired of the TNT barrel shtick by the end of the game.
    Come visit Mobius Space where
    quite rarely
    translators gather
    and post Type-Moon stuff

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    In the midst of work, finals and term projects now so everything I say here is actually 3-4 weeks ago.

Fate/EXTRA
    Finished it with Saber, started over with Archer/Zabiko and I'm up to round 4.
    Really happy to finally have time to sit down with the EXTRA games. It gets kind of tiring to read through but I like Nasu's alternate universe take.

Fate/EXTRA CCC
    Started a Saber playthrough and treating it as a continuation of my EXTRA campaign. But I really want to play with Gil! The way the conversations are written it seems like there is more variation than before depending on your Servant and player choice.
    Also loving the increased voice over.

Dragon Age: Inquisition
    Big AAA Bioware title, needs no introduction. Met or exceeded all my expectations. PC.
    Since getting my Inquisitor title I've been playing sidequests mainly. Love the game but hate my face, wish I could redo it!

Fate/stay night [Realta Nua] -Fate-
    First time reading 100% of it in Japanese from the beginning. I'm enjoying it but I've found my patience for visual novels has massively declined since my high school days.
    Sometimes I pop in the patches to see the difference. Someone should redo the translation. The MM translation was... interesting.

Gundam Extreme VS Full Boost
    Mindless fighting game fix once in a while, against my friends. I suck.

Payday 2
    Wow what happened to all my skills. damn this bank is big
    Last edited by mewarmo990; December 15th, 2014 at 12:58 AM.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mewarmo990 View Post
    Fate/stay night [Realta Nua] -Fate-
    First time reading 100% of it in Japanese from the beginning. I'm enjoying it but I've found my patience for visual novels has massively declined since my high school days.
    Sometimes I pop in the patches to see the difference. Someone should redo the translation. The MM translation was... interesting.
    Feelin it. Wherever I saw something totally wrong I changed it, but I wish we could have done some large scale editing thing instead of fussing around with OP videos.

Blog Entries
    Dragon Age Inquisition
    wow how do i do rpg again lol i can't seem to stay on a damn character for 40hours+ plus without switching to another character i made

Kingdom Hearts 2.5HD Remix
    Beat KH2FM on Critical Mode again while finishing everything to get a platinum. Mushroom XIII Minigames pls no
    BBSFM will come another time

Everyother game I want to play, but don't on my Steam
    why am i not a robot, i want to enjoy vidya 24/7 without human needs getting in the way is that so much to ask
    rip

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Ni no Kuni:
    Downloaded on christmas sale last year, finally getting around to playing it, bits getting really addicting once you get the ability to catch new monsters; game system feels a lot like a mixture of Dragon Quest and Pokemon,fighting system is real time though, and all fire spells are fucking BEAUTIFUL.
    Story is so far kind of really old schooley, but im really enjoying the whole thing so far. Even if i wish Level 5 had done another Dragon Quest on the big consoles instead of all DS. Or a second Rogue Galaxy...

Im always replaying Ratchet and Clank games inbetween because i fucking love it, still missing 3 style points in Nexus though. Too bad Quest for Booty had no real bonus content to collect like the others all have, because its a really enjoyable short game.

Gundam vs Full Burst: as mentioned above, a real fun game i always play when visiting a friend who has it.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Also been trying to unlock everything in DBZ Budokai 3. It can get pretty frustrating.
    JP Support

Spoiler:

US Support
    Spoiler:

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors black1blade's Avatar
    Friend got me the mas effect 3 wii u port for my lil bros wi u. I'm really enjoying it. It's about 1/2 talking with people and stroy and 1/2 shooting game (which I'm not very good at)

JP Friend Code
    No one cares.
    Blog Entries
    PAY DAY 2. I got myself the Unicorn mask with RAINBOWS. :3

"......"

Quote Originally Posted by Thedoctor View Post
    Why can't we all be as sexually devious as Renko?

Miscellaneous Info

Quote Originally Posted by Renko
    "I really loathe Fanfictions that are so horrendously horrible, it makes me want to go get my massive NAIL BAT OF RAPTURE and swing it real HARD to any AUTHOR who will dare create such filthy and disgusting piece of literature!"

"THEY WON'T SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY....THEY WILL SUFFER!"